A Saint and A Sinner Ch. 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He shook his head even while his brain was processing all the facts. He realized that she was probably right. God damn it all. Someone had gotten to the Sheriff, someone who didn't like the fact that Michelle was working with him. Someone who knew Allie, maybe even Allie herself. But Nick couldn't see that. Allie might like to gossip but she wasn't petty or spiteful.

"Dammit, Chelle," he breathed quietly. "I can't believe this." He tried to look into her eyes, but she wouldn't have anything to do with it. She was gathering together work to take home with her, work to keep her busy and not thinking. "I'm sorry, Michelle."

She heard the sadness in his voice. "It's not you Nick. For someone with your reputation and all the cases you've solved, you're clueless about this, you probably wouldn't even think this of someone else. You're used to female detectives in Los Angeles." She picked up her keys and looked over her shoulder as she was leaving. "You just don't know how hard it can be for a woman to get ahead in some towns. The good old boys club of police officers doesn't open for females easily. If you hadn't given me this chance, I probably wouldn't have gotten into plains clothes for years and years. I should just thank you and go back to patrol." Determination lit up her eyes. "But I refuse to give them the satisfaction. They will have to order me back."

"Chelle, you know, if I can help it, you won't be taken off this case." He tried to take her hand, she moved away from him.

"I know, Nicky. And I appreciate it. But what happened last night just can't happen again." She left his office without giving him a chance to protest, not wanting to know if he would have or not. She was just too weak where he was concerned.

He heard her car start a few minutes later.

Nick rubbed the back of his neck, the muscles tight. How could this have happened in such a short time. Fourteen hours ago he had been in bed with a sexy, beautiful woman who made him feel like he could lasso the moon. Now he was standing here with the whole mess crumbling in his hands.

He glared at the nameplate and restrained the impulse to toss it in the trash. He needed action. He needed to do something. He picked up his briefcase, grabbed his keys from his desk drawer and stopping by the evidence locker to pick up Sheri Meridian's apartment key, left for Imlay City.

12