Words of the Week 06

Story Info
Weekly vocabulary for writers: 7/5-7/11.
849 words
3.76
75k
1
0

Part 12 of the 16 part series

Updated 11/01/2022
Created 06/04/2004
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
velvetpie
velvetpie
1,286 Followers

Whenever I read, I keep a pencil handy and I underline words that I don’t know and dog ear the page so that I can go back and look them up in the dictionary. I have always been interested in etymology and even took Latin for three years. I hope that these words can help all of us in our writings. Be sure to check out your dictionary for additional usages of the words and spellings associated with changing the word from adjective to adverb to noun … etc.


STATUESQUE
adjective

Pronounced: STA-chew-esk

Meaning: Having a massive dignity or impressiveness; majestic.

Example: Astatuesque sculpture stood in the town square.

* * * * *

ABSTEMIOUSadjective

Pronounced: ab-STEM-ee-us

Meaning: Sparing in eating and drinking.

Example: Evelyn isabstemious by nature and never orders dessert.

* * * * *

FINITE
adjective

Pronounced: FI-night

Meaning: Having clear limits.

Example: Phoebe’s creativity was bound by afinite set of resources.

* * * * *

COMMINATION
noun

Pronounced: kom-in-NA-shun

Meaning: An instance or the action of announcing, warning of, or threatening punishment or vengeance.

Example: The president ended his speech with a severecommination against the rebels.

* * * * *

WHEREWITHAL
noun

Pronounced: WEAR-with-all

Meaning: Financial resources; money.

Example: Everyone was surprised that Jake had thewherewithal to buy a sailboat.

* * * * *

LEONINE
adjective

Pronounced: LEE-o-nine

Meaning: Resembling or having the characteristics of a lion.

Example: Portraits of Beethoven and Einstein always depict them withleonine hairstyles.

* * * * *

EDIFICE
noun

Pronounced: ED-i-fiss

Meaning: Building, especially a large or massive structure.

Example: To Amy, the most beautifuledifice in our nation’s capital is the National Cathedral.

* * * * *

OCCISION
noun

Pronounced: awk-SIZ-zhun

Meaning: An act or instance of slaughtering.

Example: Ecologists are protesting the wholesaleoccision of sea turtles within national boundaries.

* * * * *

GESTICULATE
verb

Pronounced: ges-TIC-u-late

Meaning: To make gestures or motions, especially when speaking.

Example: The way public figuresgesticulate while talking is often fodder for comedians.

* * * * *

JAPERY
noun

Pronounced: JAPE-ery

Meaning: Jesting or joking talk.

Example: Tired of the disk jockey’sjapery, Terry turned the radio off.

* * * * *

NEOPHYTE
noun

Pronounced: KNEEO-fyt

Meaning: A new convert, especially a convert to the Christian faith in the early church.

Example: In just three years, St. Cyprian of Carthage went from being aneophyte to being the bishop of Carthage.

* * * * *

DIURNAL
adjective

Pronounced: die-UR-null

Meaning: Active chiefly during the daytime.

Example: Few cats are naturallydiurnal, which can be a problem for light-sleeping owners.

* * * * *

ULULATION
noun

Pronounced: ul-yoo-LAY-shun

Meaning: A loud, mournful, usually protracted and rhythmical sound; a howl.

Example: Anululation from the deep woods gave Jesse the goosebumps.

* * * * *

BLEPHERAL
adjective

Pronounced: BLEF-fur-rall

Meaning: Of or relating to the eyelids.

Example: Leroy’sblepheral inflammation was caused by allergies.

* * * * *

KIBITZER
noun

Pronounced: KIB-bit-zer

Meaning: An outsider or nonparticipant who looks on and may offer unwanted advice or comment.

Example: Officer Morrow ordered thekibitzer to stand back and get out of the way of the rescue squad.

* * * * *

REPARTEE
noun

Pronounced: RUH-par-tee

Meaning: A succession of clever retorts.

Example: Susie and Josh’srepartee is so excessive that even their friends tire quickly of the constant retorts.

* * * * *

PERQUISITE
noun

Pronounced: PURR-kwis-it

Meaning: A privilege, gain or profit incidental to an employment in addition to regular salary or wages. (Otherwise known as a PERK!)

Example: Aperquisite attractive to many business executives is unlimited use of a cellular telephone.

* * * * *

HACKNEYED
adjective

Pronounced: HAK-kneed

Meaning: Commonplace or trite.

Example: The marketing adjective extreme will soon be ashackneyed as super and ultra.

* * * * *

QUORUM
noun

Pronounced: KWOR-rum

Meaning: The number of members of an organization who, when assembled, can legally transact business in the absence of the other members.

Example: There were not enough members present at the school board meeting to constitute aquorum, so no voting took place.

* * * * *

VAGRANCY
noun

Pronounced: VAYG-ran-cee

Meaning: The state or offense of being a person who has no established residency and wanders idly from place to place without lawful or visible means of support.

Example: To clear the downtown area of homeless people, the mayor instructed the police to arrest them forvagrancy.

* * * * *

ILLUSORY
adjective

Pronounced: ill-LU-sore-ree

Meaning: Of, relating to or marked by illusion or deception.

Example: Citizens of both countries hope that the apparent peace between the two nations is notillusory.

* * * * *

TOCSIN
noun

Pronounced: TALK-sinn

Meaning: An alarm bell or the ringing of a bell for the purpose of alarm.

Example: In the event of a national disaster or civil alert, the fire stations would set off atocsin that could be heard for two miles in any direction.

* * * * *

velvetpie
velvetpie
1,286 Followers