Dear Mother - Finding Penny

Story Info
The third and final chapter in the Dear Mother series.
14.9k words
4.78
54.7k
32

Part 2 of the 2 part series

Updated 10/10/2022
Created 09/11/2007
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
coaster2
coaster2
2,590 Followers

Author's Note: Now before all you flyboys and veterans get on my case about the technical errors, just remember, this is a work of fiction. I've never served in any American military unit and I've never flown an aircraft. The idea is to tell a story without letting the technical stuff get in the way of the plot. I hope that doesn't put you off too much.

This is the third and final episode of the 'Dear Mother' series. Thanks for sticking with it and I hope you enjoy it.

*

Chapter 1:

I turned and looked back down the aisle at the beautiful woman walking slowly toward me, her father on her arm. She was radiant in her lovely white bridal gown, and her father was handsomely attired in his formal tuxedo. The organ music played the traditional theme in the background while everyone in the church watched in anticipation. I glanced quickly at Frank and Mom, sitting in the front row, smiling happily at me. Mom's cheeks were streaked with tears, but I knew they were the tears of her happiness.

Today, my dream would come true. I felt like I had been waiting for this moment since I was a kid when I first met my future bride. Penny Lane was only a few feet from me now, and in a very short time, we would be man and wife. I was rigid with both excitement and raw nerves. I had come through some harrowing scrapes in my flying career without feeling quite as uptight as I did at this moment. I knew my nervousness was a sign of just how important this moment was to me. I looked down to make sure my dress whites were perfect and that my fly wasn't open. I looked up and she was there, in front of me, smiling through her tears.

I was about to enter a whole new world. I reached out to hold her hands as the minister conducted the ceremony. I don't think my eyes left her for the entire time that he read the well-known script that would confirm our commitment to each other. When we had parroted the words, answered the questions, and said our "I Do's," I pulled her gently to me, wrapped my arms around her, and kissed her with all the passion I felt for her. A life-long desire had now come to pass, and I was the happiest man on earth. It hadn't come easily, however.

Chapter 2:

My third year at Oregon State University ended on a mixed note. First, I lost my girlfriend Liz when she went back to Canada to finish her schooling. She had qualified for her national swim team, and they wanted her closer to home. That hurt. We had just become lovers a few months earlier, and I was seriously considering asking Liz to marry me, but all that went out the window.

I would have been really down in the dumps if something amazing hadn't happened just after Liz left. I found my mother. She was in Bellingham, Washington, and she had remarried. What's more, she looked terrific and was genuinely happy with her new husband, Frank Trimble. He was a pilot and a really nice guy. I really felt much better about Mom when I saw how happy she was and that she wasn't upset with me after I had told my Dad about her affair. I promised myself that I would stay close to Mom, and try and make up for the heartache I had caused her. On the other hand, if Dad hadn't divorced her she would never have met Frank, so you never know how things are going to turn out.

Frank took me up in one his planes, and I was a thrilled to be sitting in the cockpit with him. He even let me fly it for a while. I was so excited that I knew right then and there that I wanted to learn to fly. I still had to serve my time with Uncle Sam after I graduated, so it was a matter of choosing which service would give me the best chance to become a pilot. Frank had been in the Air Force, and naturally, he thought that would be the best choice.

When I got back to Corvallis to start my summer job, I got another big surprise. Penny had tried to call me when I was up north. She had left a number, but it was for a motor inn in Eugene and she had checked out a couple of days before I got back. That really got me thinking. With Liz gone, I really didn't have anyone that I could look forward to being with besides Mom and Frank. Penny and I had been really close and even though we were really young, we had been thinking about marriage too. It was crazy, since we were only eighteen then, but we were in love. We had known each other since grade school.

When I moved to Oregon, we wrote to each other for a while, but soon I could tell it was impossible to keep things going with our being so far apart. I told her to look for someone else because I wasn't going to be back for a long time. She knew I wasn't going to see my dad after what he did to Mom. Anyway, she wrote me a letter and told me that she had found a new guy, and that he was a nice guy, and they had a lot in common. I think I might have hurt her feelings with my letter. I had mixed emotions about her seeing another guy too. At the time, I thought I was in love with Liz, but it felt funny when Penny said she was with someone else. I didn't realize until I got that phone message that I still had a strong feelings for her.

We were both twenty-one now, starting our last year of college, and needed to plan our futures. The more I thought about mine, the more two things kept coming back; Penny and flying. At least now I had something to look forward to and someone I wanted to talk to and hoped to be with. I decided to make a long distance call to Penny's home and see just what was happening in her life. I needed someplace private to do that, so the first person I thought of was Aunt Hilda. I called her from the dorm and told her what I wanted to do. Naturally, she was all for it. I promised I would pay her for the call.

Aunt Hilda reminded me that we were two hours behind Aberdeen, so the best time to call might be after my work during the week. After six o'clock the rates were cheaper and it would still only be just after eight in Aberdeen. That sounded like the perfect time, and on top of that Aunt Hilda invited me to have supper with her. I would never turn down one of her home cooked meals. Since she wanted to hear all about Mom and her new husband, it was the perfect opportunity.

My new summer job was in Salem, so I had a bit of planning to do to make sure I could get there and back without too much trouble. The alumni had arranged a better job since I was now a co-captain. I was grateful that I would have a lot more money to work with by September. What I didn't realize was that there was an additional benefit.

When I showed up at Capitol Motors on Monday morning, I checked into the office and learned that the boss wasn't in yet and wouldn't be for another hour. I wandered through the empty showroom, looking at the new Fords and Mercurys, wishing I could afford one. After a while, I went outside and walked over to the used car lot and looked over the inventory. It was pretty clear that there were two classes of car on the "Used" lot; shiny late-model cars on the front row, and older more experienced units in the back row. When I bought my first car, I was determined that it was going to be off the front row and not the back row.

Mr. Randolph, the owner and an OSU alumnus, showed up just after nine. I waited until he went to his office before I walked toward it and knocked lightly on the door frame. He looked up with a questioning face.

"Yah ... what can I do for you?" he said in a rough voice.

"I'm Ron Francis from OSU. I was told to report to you for a summer job."

"Oh yah ... Uh ... See Marty Coulson and he'll tell you what he wants you to do. Do you have a car?"

"No. I've been using the bus."

"OK ... you can have anything off the back row as long as you don't take the same car two days in a row." His head dropped back down to concentrate on his work.

"Huh?" was my intelligent response.

He looked at me like I have five eyes and then smiled. "I suppose you didn't know that I'll lend you a car to get here, as long as you don't take the same car two days in a row, and don't crack it up."

"Uh ... no ... I mean ... I didn't know," I stammered. "But thanks ... that's great ... thanks."

"OK kid, but don't go getting any ideas about the cars in the front row. Understood?"

"Yes ... Yes of course. Thank you! That's really great." I was really surprised and delighted with this turn of events.

I was about to head off to find my contact when I suddenly realized I couldn't remember his name. "What was the name of the guy I was supposed to see?"

"Marty Coulson! He's in the shop. Now get to work, OK?"

"Yes sir ... and thanks again," I said more confidently as I headed for the shop.

I introduced myself to Marty. I could tell he was a mechanic, based on the greasy overhauls he wore and the unlit cigar stuffed in the side of his mouth. He told me my job was to wash the cars on the lot and run errands to the automotive suppliers and other car dealers for parts. I would use the company truck for those runs. Marty said if I was smart, I would get the cars washed first thing since they had to be washed and cleaned every day. If I had some longer routes to run in the truck, I might not have enough time to get all the cars washed before the shop closed.

Marty also kept the keys for the used cars, and he would provide me with them for whatever car I used to head back to OSU each night. I asked Marty about weekends, and he said it was OK to take a car on Saturdays because I was working that day. Sunday's they were closed. The alumni people had neglected to tell me this was a six-day-a-week job; but then I didn't have anything special to do anyway, so it would help fill the time. As it turned out, the job wasn't very challenging and I was able to fit in the time for a couple of extra courses for my final year. The pay was good, and since I was working an extra day I was making more money than I ever had. It was also a lot more than I had expected.

On Wednesday, that first week, I went to Aunt Hilda's where I would make the phone call to Penny's home. I was really nervous. I didn't know what to expect, but she had called me so she was clearly still thinking about me and wasn't mad or anything. We finished the dinner dishes, and I went to the living room to make the call. I dialed the operator, gave her the town and Penny's number. I heard a series of clicks. The operator spoke to another operator and then, after a bit, I heard a ringing.

"Hello?" a man's voice answered. It didn't sound like Penny's dad.

"Mr. Lane?" I asked tentatively.

"Nope ... sorry ... you must have the wrong number."

"Is this Walnut 2 9195 in Aberdeen?"

"That's right, but no one named Lane lives here."

"Oh ... oh I see ... I'm sorry to have bothered you." I hung up slowly.

I was buffaloed. I had the right number. I was sure of it. I had dialed it so many times I could do it my sleep. Maybe they've moved, I thought. One way to find out was to write a letter to the old address and see what happened. If I got an answer, I'd know where her family was, and they would know where Penny was. If they'd moved, maybe it would get forwarded. The worst thing that would happen is I'd get it back unopened. Not much to lose for a five cent stamp.

I wrote her a short letter telling her I had gotten her message, but she had checked out before I could call back. I told her I would have loved to have talked to her and found out what was going on in her life. I was hoping I'd hear from her, and we could start writing to each other again. I crossed my fingers and stuck it in the mail box on the Commons.

Mom and Frank called twice a month and it was great to talk to them, even if I wasn't in a private place. The hall of the dorm was pretty quiet in the summer, but when classes resumed, I thought it would be much more difficult to hold a personal conversation. I had called in at the Air Force recruiting office in Salem and had a talk with one of the officers. With my university education, I would certainly be officer candidate material, but there was no guarantee that I would be pilot material. They couldn't offer any promises.

I spent the summer working at the car lot. It wasn't a bad job. I got to take a car back to the dorm every day and it made my getting back and forth to Salem a whole lot easier. They even provided the gas for the car; almost a half a tank. I also got to know which of the back row cars were the good ones and which were the lemons. I narrowed my choices down to about five or six different ones, hoping they wouldn't all get sold over the summer. Marty figured out what I was doing and said I was pretty smart for a college boy. We got along great. He taught me what to look for in used cars so as not to get stuck with a lemon. I was grateful as I was sure this information would come in very handy in the future.

My senior year started just after Labor Day. I didn't take me long to get back into my routine, but I was missing Liz. We had been inseparable for two years and it took me a while to adjust to being on my own again. Funny thing though, I didn't have any ambition to go find another girlfriend. Not even when my letter to Penny came back marked "Return to Sender". The Lanes had apparently moved, and I had no way to find them. Aunt Hilda wondered if Penny were attending the University of Oregon in Eugene, and that's why she had called from there. It was easy to find out, and one phone call later I was assured that no Peony Lane or Penny Lane was registered at U of O. Another dead end.

When I looked in the mirror, I saw a twenty-one year old guy who needed to shave every day and looked pretty square compared to some of the other guys on campus. I was no longer a virgin, and I was a much bigger and more muscled guy than when I had arrived in Corvallis. I had experienced a lot in the last three years, and I had to smile at most of it. I was a pretty decent swimmer, and now co-captain of the swim team. I was a pretty good student too. I did well in my classes, and was sure to graduate next spring.

Despite all this, I was apprehensive about my future. I really didn't have a clear idea of what path I should take. I was certain now that I wanted to learn to fly, but nothing about that ambition was automatic. The Air Force Academy had been formed, and with more applicants than spaces, my chances of getting the opportunity to become a pilot were not great. I thought about the Navy, but then, the Naval Academy in Annapolis was just as remote a possibility as Colorado Springs. Starting my education all over again just didn't seem logical.

Our team had a meet at Eureka College in Eureka, California, early in the fall, and it was there that I got interested in the Coast Guard. I was still trying to decide to which service I would "volunteer" myself, and I had begun to doubt if I had a chance for Uncle Sam to teach me to fly. Was it was one of those hopes that might never come to pass?

I had a couple of hours off before the events started in the afternoon, and I wandered down near the Coast Guard base. It hadn't occurred to me that they had aircraft in their operations, but when I saw a transport sitting on the apron and a couple of seaplanes taking off, the lights went on. Suddenly I thought the Coast Guard was kind of cool. This just might be the best chance to fulfill my ambition.

I knew I had to carry out my duty to my country. I had no enthusiasm for ending up in some place like Vietnam, but I had no strong sense of what I wanted to do with my life if I wasn't able to be a pilot. I didn't know how I would make a living, and I fretted that I would end up as a vacuum cleaner salesman if I weren't careful. The whole idea was depressing, and without Liz to cheer me up, I wasn't the happiest person to be around.

I had my job at Capitol Motors and the use of a car, so I really couldn't complain. I had money in my jeans and I could have had any number of dates if I wanted to, but I had no enthusiasm for the girls. I would usually hang out with the guys, or go to one of the many sports events on campus on the weekends. I would drink a few beers and play a little pick-up basketball now and then, but nothing serious. I was lucky, I had swimming to consume my spare time.

I didn't enjoy my success on the swim team that I had the previous two years. I'm sure it was because I didn't have Liz there to push me along to improve my performance. It wasn't that I didn't care; I just didn't seem to be as motivated as I should have been for a co-captain of a major college athletic team. No one said anything, but I could sense the disappointment at our results and of my efforts. In the end, I was just glad it was over and I could move on.

Frank and Mom attended my Graduation, bringing Aunt Hilda along with them. I really enjoyed my day with them. I was pleased that I had graduated with good marks, and I could honestly add B.A. after my name on my résumé. We had a really nice dinner at Aunt Hilda's, which was better than any restaurant we could have picked. Mom and Frank gave me a very nice blazer and slacks as a graduation present and Aunt Hilda gave me a cool dress shirt and tie. All I needed was a new pair of dress shoes, and I was ready for the business world. First, however, I had a personal commitment to fulfill.

Chapter 3:

I knew I could take a chance and not enlist in one of the services and if luck was with me, I wouldn't be drafted. On the other hand, I had a burning desire to learn to fly and I was determined to do whatever it took to realize that dream. The services were the only realistic chance I had to fulfill that ambition. In addition, I felt a moral obligation to serve my country. I just didn't want to end up getting killed in some foreign country if I could avoid it.

I decided to join the Coast Guard. It wasn't my first choice, but I thought it would probably keep me out of Vietnam. There was still a chance that I could become a pilot, and that remained my foremost ambition. I took the bus to Portland, enlisting at the U.S.C.G. recruitment office there. I had a couple of weeks after my physical to say goodbye to Mom, Frank, Aunt Hilda, Marty, and my friends from Oregon State. It was the first step in the rest of my life, and something good might happen yet.

Six weeks later, I was jumping for joy. I had been accepted into Flight School. We would start out on trainers, but to be honest, I didn't care if they were W.W.1 vintage biplanes. I just wanted to fly. As it turned out, I got my wish, but it was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I was immersed in an engineering program that almost overwhelmed me. I had no idea learning to be a pilot was so complicated. Navigation, flight controls, aircraft systems, emergency procedures, and so much more.

I know what got me through it was that I was determined to succeed. I wouldn't let anything stand in my way. I really sweated out the courses and lost count of the hours and hours of study I put in to make sure I made it. The flying part turned out to be the easiest. I wasn't afraid of the aircraft, and I wasn't trying to over-control it. I seemed to have a feel for how to get the most out of my "ship," and I think that was a big factor in my succeeding in flight school. I was on top of the world! As hard as the study was, I was flying!

During my time at Pensacola Flight School, I made some friends, two of whom would become my "best buddies." Tinker "Tink" Taylor was my closest pal, but Chip Bilstrom wasn't far behind. All three of us were hooked on flying and all three of us knocked ourselves out to make sure we got our wings. We helped each other, even if it was just to cheer each other up when things got tough. We drank beer together, chased girls together and generally became unofficial brothers.

Tink was a good-ole-boy from northern Alabama. Smart as a whip, he helped me get through the bookwork many times, while I helped him with the flying part. Chip was a flat-lander, like me. He came from Fargo, North Dakota. He made it pretty much the same way I did; he was a good, but not natural pilot, so he worked hard on the studies. We grew up pretty quickly at OCS. We were men and we were expected to be leaders, officers, and gentlemen at all times. Well, almost at all times. We had to cut loose now and then. The pressure was pretty intense, and I know we all felt it.

coaster2
coaster2
2,590 Followers