A Black Man's World

Story Info
A young man looks at life in America.
1.9k words
2.14
20.4k
2
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Samuelx
Samuelx
2,121 Followers

Welcome to my life. My name is Henderson Pitts. A six-foot-two, lean and muscular young Black man living in the city of Boston, Massachusetts. I'm a student at Deval Patrick College, a private school named after the state's first African-American Governor. Built in 2007, the school officially welcomed its first class, made up of eighteen hundred students, in August of 2008. I'm a proud member of the class of 2012.

A lot of people who meet me think my life is easy. I don't know where they get that impression. Just because I attend a private school doesn't mean I have money. My classmates sure do, though. A lot of Boston's elite African-American families decided to send their sons and daughters to the brand-new Deval Patrick College, and currently students of color, whether African-American, Native American, Hispanic or Asian, combined to make up forty two percent of the student body. Sometimes, I feel ill at ease on campus. Why? I'm not a member of the rich upper class. I'm actually attending Deval Patrick College on a student-athlete scholarship. I'm a swimmer, by the way. Yes, black men can be collegiate swimmers too. Get used to it.

The Deval Patrick College Department of Athletics sponsors men's baseball, women's softball, men's and women's basketball, men's and women's swimming, women's archery, men's and women's cross country, men's and women's volleyball, men's and women's golf, men's and women's tennis, men's and women's soccer, men's football and women's gymnastics. We compete in the NCAA Division Two. In my classes and at the gymnasium, I'm surrounded by fascinating young men and women. Students from South Africa, Ireland, Liberia, Brazil, the Republic of Haiti, Jamaica, Ukraine and other places make Deval Patrick a very diverse school. Sometimes, it seems really like a cool place to be. I guess my optimism would soon prove to be misplaced.

I was determined to make the most of my college experience. I knew the dos and don'ts of the collegiate world. Collegiate America is a fast-paced, politically correct world. Even at the most liberal schools, don't think racism isn't present. Rich white families don't really like the idea of their sons and daughters mingling with the sons and daughters of African-American, Asian and Hispanic families. They don't say it, of course. But I can tell. They smile too much, or stare too much when they see me. I guess even though the President of America is a Black man, and we have Black people serving as Governors and Senators, white people still have a staring problem when they see a Black male student on campus. Racism in higher education is here to stay. Even as Caucasians find themselves becoming minorities in an increasingly multiracial and multicultural America. Just chuck it up to bigotry and the human tendency to mistreat those who are different.

Now, just because the rich white students were uppity bigots didn't mean the black students welcomed me with open arms. As the only non-white member of the men's swimming team, I had a lot of attention. Most of it was unwanted. The black students thought I was an odd duck for swimming competitively in the first place. And the white students thought I was invading their territory. I guess they don't like black athletes succeeding in white-dominated sports. It must kill them that a black man dominates the men's professional golf tournament and two black women dominate the elite and elitist world of women's professional tennis. And here I was, a black guy determined to dominate in collegiate swimming. Yeah, they didn't like me.

I was used to it. In high school, as a tall black male athlete, I was expected to play football or basketball, or perhaps run track. I didn't do any of the above. Rather, I was a varsity swimmer and a varsity hockey player. Yes, I strapped on the helmet and laced my skates like everyone else before playing varsity ice hockey. I was actually good at those sports. Because the media made a big deal out of it, I became famous. The other guys on the hockey and swimming teams didn't like me. I ignored them and continued to excel. That's how I won myself a scholarship to swim for the first-ever private college named an African-American politician in the state of Massachusetts. Ignore the haters. That's what my grandfather Alphonse told me time after time. His advice has always served me well.

The Deval Patrick College campus was a very lively place. Politicians, actors and other famous people were always visiting. And that wasn't half as cool as you might think. I didn't like it when VIPs came on campus. They always cause an uproar, one way or the other. I prefer it when the school is nice and quiet. Too much excitement is a bad thing in my sincere opinion. Where I come from, we have a little too much excitement. Growing up in the city of Brockton, also called the city of champions, I learned to value peace and quiet when I could find them. The madness of collegiate America is not something I intend to let interfere with my life.

The social scene at Deval Patrick College was quite insane. Students mostly hung out with those most like themselves. The Hispanic students hung out with other Hispanics, and the Black students and Asian students did the same. The rich white students mostly kept to themselves. There were exceptions to this, of course. It seemed the thing to do for young white women to get Black and Hispanic boyfriends. Especially the athletic ones. And this royally pissed off the Black women and the Hispanic women on campus. The white guys weren't thrilled about it either. Interracial dating isn't as taboo as it once was in America, but that doesn't mean everyone fully embraces or even tolerates it when folks date outside of their race. I don't care if some Black guy dates a Hispanic woman, an Asian broad or even a white chick. Or if some Black chick is actually into white guys. Personally, it's not my cup of tea but whatever's clever, you know.

I find myself in quite a quagmire on campus. Most of the Black male student-athletes were dating outside of their race. Particularly guys from the football, basketball and cross country teams, which are quite expectedly Black-dominated. I don't get what the attraction is. I've seen some white chicks who are pretty, but they don't really do it for me. Hispanic women look really hot, and Black women are the hottest ones of all in my opinion. Unfortunately, finding a Black woman without an attitude problem in collegiate America is like looking for Atlantis. It's just not feasible. You'll find the Yeti before you find such a unique person.

Still, I hold out hope. I'm not going to join the fast-growing club of Black college men who chase white chicks to all the corners of the city. People have such short memories. Many Black men have gone down due to being accused of sexual misconduct by white women throughout American history. Whether they're innocent or guilty, once those broads accuse them, they're finished. I'm not trying to end up like them. To me, these white broads are more trouble than they're worth. Interracial dating isn't for me. Let some other adventurous Black men try it.

There are so many gorgeous Black women at the Deval Patrick College campus. My preference is for tall, curvy and big-bottomed, dark-skinned Black women. I have always loved Black women. Growing up, I had pictures of Janet Jackson, Toni Braxton and Pam Grier in my room. I've never been one to lust after the likes of Sharon Stone, Jennifer Lopez or any other non-Black starlets. Yet when I approach these Black women on campus, they're really not feeling me. This has caused me to take a hard look at myself. Rejection can happen to any man. It's all about what you do afterwards. You can let it weaken you, or make it a learning experience and improve your game. I chose to do the latter.

I'm six-foot-two and weigh one hundred and seventy pounds. I'm one of a few Black male swimmers in New England-area intercollegiate athletics. I'm also the captain of my college's swim team, a first in NCAA history. I major in business administration and currently have a 3.45 GPA. I'm physically fit, and facially speaking I'm not a bad-looking man. I've been told I look like TV actor Lee Thompson Young or a younger version of Hollywood superstar Will Smith. I stay clean, and wear dress shirt and silk pants to class. I don't believe in wearing clothes that are too casual. Even to go to class, I dress professionally. As a Black male student, I have an image to maintain. The world automatically assumes all Black men are criminals, thugs, and can only succeed as athletes and entertainers. Well, I'm going to be a corporate mogul someday. After graduating from Deval Patrick College in 2012, I'm heading to Suffolk University for my MBA. I have it all planned out.

I come from a good family. My father, Henry Pitts, is a sergeant with the police department of my not-so-quiet hometown. My mother Elisabeth James Pitts is a regional manager for a chain of department stores. She met my father while they were both attending the University of Massachusetts, in the early 1980s. My elder brother Matthew is in his junior year at the Massachusetts Maritime Academy. He wants to join the U.S. Coast Guard someday. My sister Ruth is a sophomore at Pine Manor College. We own the Victorian house in which we live in Brockton's quiet, kind of affluent west side. I love my family and I'm very proud of them. They inspire me.

Maybe I' m just not the type of guy that the young Black women at Deval Patrick College want. After all, I've seen some beautiful, educated young Black women dismiss Black college men to chase thugs, gangsters and drug dealers. I can't see the attraction. Maybe I'm not meant to. Or maybe it's a good thing that I can't seem to find a woman to be with right now. I mean, I'm busy with schoolwork and swimming. Dating someone seriously would mean reorganizing my priorities and I can't do that. Besides, all kinds of bad things can happen to a guy if he dates the wrong woman. Who's to say I didn't luck out by being single?

I don't know. Life isn't easy. And the life of a Black man in America is dangerous, filled with pain and sorrow. The police force targets us because the establishment doesn't see us as people. We get discriminated against at work as well. But that's why Black men are fighters. We're the strongest, fastest, smartest and most durable men in the world. We've proven ourselves time and again and we continue to prove ourselves. We're more than athletes and entertainers. More than modern-day sex symbols.

We can be successful businessmen, artists, scientists, and even high-ranking politicians like Governors, Senators and Presidents of the United States. That's what drives me. Someday I'll make it. I'll have my own kingdom, so to speak. And maybe then I'll find a good Black woman to be by my side as my beloved wife and partner. Someone with whom I can have a future. A Black woman I can have a family with. I hope there are Black women out there who still love regular, hard-working and God-fearing Black men. Black men like myself. I sincerely hope they're out there. Peace.

Samuelx
Samuelx
2,121 Followers