A Dark Heart

Story Info
Nate is shown a Hallowe'en trick he'll never forget.
9.6k words
4.66
86.3k
121
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
BurntRedstone
BurntRedstone
9,770 Followers

Author's Notes:

'A Dark Heart' is my entry for Literotica's Hallowe'en Story Contest 2017.

It was given a little polishing on 2024.01.12 for publishing on Amazon and refreshing on Literotica.

All characters engaging in sexual relationships or activities are 18 years old or older.

********

A Dark Heart

********

"What the fuck is wrong with me?" Nate asked himself.

That was a loaded question. Personally, he could think of a number of things. But what was most pertinent in his current situation was his inability to find a woman who wasn't poison for his soul.

His breakup with Meghan a little over two weeks ago was just the latest tortuous ending in his string of doomed relationships.

Each one had begun with optimism and ended in emotional pain and vicious drama.

He didn't get it. None of his previous girlfriends seemed to match a type. He'd tried to prevent himself from falling into a pattern of dating the same kind of girl as he'd seen that self-destructive behavior in his friends.

Some of the ladies he'd tried to have a relationship with had been outgoing, while others were shy. He'd dated sporty women, couch potatoes, hell-raising women, and once a devout believer. While they'd all presented different personality types initially, he always discovered their demonic side by the end. He was seriously beginning to think the transformation of these women was due to something he was doing. Maybe they were all wonderful women, and he somehow drove them to commit mean and hurtful acts against him after a time. But exactly how he was doing it was a complete fucking mystery to him!

His buddies were no help. He'd asked them to protect him from dating poorly, and the last several girlfriends had gotten their seal of approval. Then, they all expressed their surprise when those relationships went sour as each one did. One of his friends had actually slept with three of his girlfriends while he was dating them. Another friend suggested that, being a black man, Nate should stick with his own kind. Needless to say, neither of those guys remained his friends.

Nate wasn't a bad guy. He was often called a really nice guy. All his previous girlfriends had remarked upon this fact... at the beginning. Some had actually noted it as the reason they decided to sleep around. In one case, her excuse had been that he was so much of a nice guy he needed to be punished. He seriously couldn't follow that logic, but maybe that meant he was too nice?

Nate wasn't ugly. He was actually a handsome man. The consistent female attention he received, plus the number of girlfriends he'd had, proved that he was at least attractive enough to get a date. He stood five-foot-eleven and was reasonably fit. He had muscles where they needed to be, and he didn't have fat where it was least welcome. He was reasonably well endowed and skilled, if not terribly adventurous when it came to sex. The one thing his ex-girlfriends had universally agreed upon was that he was good in bed. At least five exes had returned for booty calls during times when he was available, and they were in a dry spell. The fact that he didn't turn them away for those brief interludes was probably a black mark on him.

He was smart, articulate, and personable. He could tell a joke or two and had enough charm to initiate relationships, but something inevitably went wrong, and every relationship imploded badly.

So he'd made himself a vow. He was taking a hiatus from dating to give his heart time to heal and himself time to reflect upon the mistakes he'd made. While he had an active social life, he began avoiding going out with his buddies to clubs or any venue where there was a greater than even chance of meeting women who were looking for a relationship, even just an overnight one.

He'd managed to avoid these dating situations for a little over two weeks. He'd even turned down booty calls from two of his exes this past week. He was rather proud of that, though his buddies thought he was nuts as the ladies in question were hot... if unbalanced.

For all his moral fortitude, he'd been feeling a little run down. During their last pub night, one of his more envious friends remarked that this was the first dry spell he'd ever seen Nate go through, even if it was self-inflicted, and maybe he was experiencing withdrawal. That had caused a lot of laughter in the group. For Nate, he just worried that it might be true. Perhaps he was a sex addict.

When he wasn't failing in relationships, he worked as a copywriter at an ad agency and really enjoyed his job. It let him be creative and paid him reasonably well because he was actually good at it. Outside work, he was an avid cyclist and played in an amateur baseball league.

Being late October, the weather turned crappy, and having refused each and every invitation to a slew of Hallowe'en parties, or hookup parties as he saw them, he chose this particular holiday to fall back on another favorite pastime of his, mooching around in one of New York City's many art galleries. He could spend hours walking from room to room, drinking in the paintings and sculptures, feeding his own creative juices. He found these peaceful sojourns helped focus his spirit and inspire his writing.

This time, he would be walking the floors with his best and only female friend. He'd known Jo Hart for a long time. They'd originally met during their first year in college. He thought she was witty, and she was impressed when he traded banter with her but didn't try to hit on her. They discovered they shared the same sense of humor, and a friendship was born. After graduation, she'd helped him get his job at the company that hired her. They even managed to be assigned to the same team.

She was the one woman he'd managed to maintain a healthy relationship with. She was blond, petite but curvy, and very pretty with a sunny disposition.

She typically drew appreciative looks from other art gallery viewers but always seemed unaware of their attention. One thing that might have helped make Jo the perfect female companion for Nate was that she was gay. She felt no sexual attraction to him, and he cherished her friendship. She was in a long-term relationship with a lovely brunette named Bev, and Nate was envious of that.

When she joined Nate on his gallery tours, she'd bring a sketchpad and practice her art. She was a gifted artist. Combined with his writing talent, they were a fantastic team at work.

Today, the gallery he'd chosen was celebrating Hallowe'en with a special exhibit of sculptures created by a new artist from England. Her work had been playfully advertised as a good match for the holiday. Nate was interested in seeing what all the fuss in the papers was about, as the artist was generating quite a lot of buzz in the art community. He'd seen a picture of one of her pieces and found it intriguing. The flat nature of the newspaper photo couldn't do her art justice, so he'd bought tickets to the exhibit to see them in person.

Jo wasn't a big fan of sculpture, but her girlfriend was on a business trip, and Nate paid for the ticket, so she tagged along. She'd mentioned to him that she'd heard the artist was quite reclusive and might be making an appearance.

After they arrived at the gallery and checked their coats, Nate and Jo presented their tickets and were directed to the entrance of the presentation gallery, where they showed their tickets again and went inside.

As they walked between the pieces, Nate examined them from all sides. The theme seemed to be pain and horror. It was perfect for a Hallowe'en exhibition! The medium was small steel plates roughly cut by a plasma torch and welded into semi-abstract double-sized human forms, all of which appeared to be screaming in agony due to horrific injuries.

Jo looked at Nate with raised eyebrows. Nate grinned at her.

"Not exactly a lighthearted, whimsical collection, but it suits the holiday!" Nate said, and all Jo could do was shake her head.

She spotted something far less... gruesome to look at and wandered off as Nate continued to walk amongst the monuments to suffering. He was passing by one and slowed to study it casually as he did. A male figure seemingly pulling his own heart from his chest. The heart wasn't red but painted the darkest black. He stopped dead as his eyes slowly widened. He was struck by a feeling of affinity with the sculpture. He couldn't look away as he felt he was looking at... himself.

"Ah! You feel it, don't you!"

Nate twitched from his paralysis and turned to look up slightly into stunningly pale grey eyes. They were all he could see at first as they seemed to bore into his soul. Then, the rest of the woman's features came into focus. Her large eyes dominated her face, but she had a slim nose above lips that were just a little thin but emphasized with black lipstick. The dark color made her white teeth gleam as she smiled broadly at him. Her eyes were roaming his body, so he took that as an invitation to check her out as well. Jet black, straight hair cascaded down over her shoulders and reached her waist, a lot of silky hair! With her height, she had a slim build and small breasts, clearly defined by the tight black halterneck top she wore. He could clearly see the impression of her nipple rings... and the chain between them. Her taut stomach was exposed with jewelry piercing her belly button. Skin-tight black leather pants hugged her long, slim legs and ended in her pointed black leather boots. Her skin was palest pink, made all the lighter by her choice of color palette. Black and dark grey eye shadow and lipstick would have presented an almost Goth appearance if it wasn't for the contemporary styling of her clothing.

He couldn't gauge her age at all. She had smooth, young-looking skin but carried an air of maturity. It was baffling.

She reached out a slim hand, black polish on her relatively short nails. Somehow, he'd been expecting talons, though she did wear several sharp-looking silver rings on her long fingers. He automatically took the hand in his, careful of the rings.

"It's a pleasure to meet people who truly connect with my art." Her British accent was wonderful, hinting at private boarding schools and aristocratic society. Again, he was perplexed by the sensation of age conflicting with her youthful appearance and energy.

"Oh!" he exclaimed gently, just now realizing who she was.

"Yes, I am she. The one with the tortured visions. Maker of all of this exquisite pain. Marquise Oletha Thanemark. If you wish, you may call me 'O', as you already have!" she said with a delighted grin.

Nate was struggling to keep up with her energy. "Nate. Nathan Walker." Something she'd said sunk in. "Exquisite pain?" he asked with a raised eyebrow.

She nodded as her eyes roamed his body once more. "Yes, the... giving and receiving of the sensation can produce the most delicious levels of excitement, relieving the tedium of mere existence."

He smiled uneasily. "I've never been a big fan of receiving pain." His eyes were drawn back to the sculpture.

She cocked her head as she gave him a coy smile. "More of a giver, then?"

He went to deny it, but his eyes were still on the sculpture. "Maybe..." he murmured.

"You're not talking about physical pain, though, are you," Oletha suggested quietly.

Once more, Nate was jolted from a frozen state. The personal nature of the question from this total stranger threw his equilibrium off. He realized she still had his hand in hers and showed no sign of releasing him. The grip wasn't painful, but it was firm.

Still, he felt something akin to a compulsion to answer. "No, mental pain seems to be my specialty."

She gave him a doubtful expression. "Odd, you seem to be built for pleasure."

His eyes snapped back to hers as he snorted in surprised amusement. He grinned at Oletha and was also presented with a flash of teeth.

"Bold," he said, and she nodded.

"There is no other way to live," she said definitively.

He nodded in appreciation of her philosophy.

Seemingly, on impulse, she leaned closer and inhaled deeply. He raised an eyebrow at this as he knew he didn't smell bad but didn't wear cologne. She looked at him curiously, and he looked back in question. Her eyes grew wide.

"Oh my! You don't... know, do you!" she exclaimed quietly in amazement.

He grinned crookedly at her. "How should I answer that question?"

"Oh, this is perfect! It's so rare to be surprised! I need to show you something!" she gasped and moved to the side of the room, tugging his hand. He had no choice but to follow. He glanced back and spotted Jo talking to a tall, gorgeous black woman who was smiling at her and nodding. He realized she'd be okay for a bit.

They approached an exit on the far side of the gallery, but he saw the rooms beyond were identified as off-limits, restricted to staff. One of the museum guards intercepted them at the velvet rope, but Oletha leaned in to whisper something to him. He smiled at her and opened the barrier for them. They slipped inside, and Nate saw the guard had a strange, distracted look in his eyes, but they were past before he could get a better look. They moved through two fairly empty rooms, each minimally lit for safe passage, before reaching the entrance to a third gallery.

This entrance was hidden behind a thick black curtain. Next to this was a stool with a small basket on top. Oletha finally released his hand as she removed her slim phone from her back pocket and placed it in the basket. She looked at him until he did the same with his. She held the curtain open and led them inside. There, she touched a control on the wall, and the lights came up slowly until he could see the paintings. The walls were filled with them.

Oletha gestured for him to go ahead. She touched the curtain and whispered something he didn't catch. He looked at her curiously, then walked along the wall, examining and appreciating the art as he went. The paintings were old and exquisite. The subject matter in them seemed to be uniform amongst them all. Most showed an intimate bedroom scene, but the participants weren't wholly human.

Here, a human male was stretched out on his bed with his arms flung over his eyes as a winged female with fangs and a tail rode his erection with her head thrown back and her long tongue sticking out in ecstasy.

The next showed a Rubenesque blonde with long flowing white hair writhing on a bed under the body of a dark figure with black wings and a ridiculously long penis penetrating her from two feet away.

Most of the paintings showed the humans at rest and being sexually tormented by these creatures, many very human-looking themselves but sometimes more animalistic.

He came upon a plaque. It read:

Mythology: A Study in Sexual Repression through the Ages.

Below the title was a second line, which read:

Presented by Give-Borrow-Exchange-Change Foundation.

Oletha walked with him down the hall as he took in the paintings. "I work with the foundation. I decided these pieces needed to be seen again. Many haven't been publicly viewed for hundreds of years."

He nodded as he admired the technique and skill of the artists at painting such fanciful images. "They are beautifully done. Thank you for showing me."

She nodded with a mysterious smile on her lips. "This is a special gallery. No windows. No cameras or recording devices of any kind are allowed in here. Completely private. We won't be disturbed in here."

His eyebrow went up as he smiled faintly at the implication in her words. "Other than appreciating these imaginative paintings, what intentions did you have for bringing me here?" he asked carefully. This situation reminded him of his personal promise to give himself time to heal before entering into another relationship or accepting another casual affair.

She smiled widely at him. "Nothing less than your complete illumination!" He looked at her nervously, and she laughed gently. "Oh my, you are precious! It won't hurt at all, and I believe you will be very happy with the result. Let's sit and talk."

She guided him to a long, cushioned bench in the middle of the gallery and patted the seat as she sat. He joined her on the bench and looked into her eyes.

"We start simply with a few questions. Based on how you reacted to my sculpture A Dark Heart, the one you stopped at, you've experienced a failed relationship or two." She tilted her head, waiting for his answer.

He nodded. "Every relationship I've been in has failed." He was surprised to hear himself confessing this, but she didn't judge him. Instead, she just nodded like it was a given, and he frowned slightly.

She leaned forward to look into his eyes. "In each of these relationships, the Honeymoon phase began with an immediate physical attraction. The sex was consistently good and fulfilling, but your partners began to exhibit changes in their personalities. They became increasingly jealous, spiteful, bitter, and sometimes even violent until, finally, you had to break up with them. You were always the one to end the relationships as well."

Nate was openly gaping at the woman before him in shock. "How... how could you possibly know that?" he asked quietly.

She smiled compassionately and stroked his cheek with her palm. "Because we're not meant to have relationships with them."

"What?" he asked, completely losing track of what she was saying.

She sighed as if dealing with a slow student and gestured to the paintings. "What are the common elements in all of the art in this room?"

He looked and saw what he saw before. "Men and women having sex with monsters."

"No! Not monsters. Succubi and Incubi," she corrected him.

He looked back in confusion. What was the difference?

"What does the word monster suggest to you?" she asked.

"Ah... malevolence, ill intent, a bad creature?" he suggested.

"Can Humans be those things?" she said, tilting her head.

He thought about that. "Okay, sure, but—"

"So Humans can be classified as monsters too," she pressed the point.

He sighed as he nodded. "Sure, I concede the point. So, the common theme is men and women having sex with Succubi and Incubi."

"Having sex. Not forming relationships with them," Oletha said slowly, and he blinked at her.

He now understood what she was implying, but it made no sense. "I'm a man."

"You're male," she corrected.

"I'm a human male!" he barked and stood. He wasn't sure why he was so upset. Suddenly, he didn't want to be in this gallery anymore. He especially didn't want to be with this crazy woman in this secluded room. He turned and marched back to the black curtain and swiped his hand across its surface, but the opening wasn't evident. He struck it again and again in both directions but with no luck. In frustration, he went to the left side, but it seemed to be secured to the wall all the way down. He was stunned to find the bottom was attached, too. He tried to get a grip on the fabric to pull it up and it slipped away from his fingers. He stopped and stared at the black substance that looked like fabric but felt more like fur and didn't behave like a curtain at all.

He turned back to face Oletha. "How do I leave?"

She smiled at him. "The moment you accept what you are, the curtain will let you pass."

"What? What are you talking about? I know exactly what I am. This is stupid! I'm a man—A HUMAN MAN!" he barked.

"Why are you so threatened by this? You are fascinating! How do you not know what you are?" Oletha smiled widely at him like he was most entertaining.

"Open this curtain!" he insisted.

BurntRedstone
BurntRedstone
9,770 Followers