A House Where Nobody Lives

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

John Dawes met my mother at a social hosted by the Stutzman family down the road from our place. Her family also lived on the road and she had returned after graduating from the teachers college down to Orono and taking a teaching position out to town. Old Mr. Stone and his wife introduced them and they were a couple from that moment on.

There was an unmentioned bond between them that I never understood as a child and it was not until I took a wife of my own that the two of them related their story to me, at least the story of what constituted that bond throughout their lives. It seems my father's first wife and my mother shared some experiences with an unsuitable fellow and mother looked to him as a sort of savior and wouldn't leave his side but for his sojourns into the wilds...

My folks each lived into their 90s. Father passed away in 2004 at the age of 92 and my sister and I buried our mother last year at the age of 96. She had split the last few years of her life with the two of us, staying with one of us for a few months before moving to the other.

That brings me to this house where nobody lives. It's been empty for the last four years, closed up and tended to by one of the sons of an old timer from the neighborhood. There were a few weeds here and there but what it didn't have from when I was a child here is the love of a family to tend to its nourishments. I'm fixing to change that.

Mother left it to me as my sister had no desire to return to the cold climes. My wife retired last year and two weeks ago on a happy Friday I retired as well. The Dawes family is returning home...

...What makes a house grand

Ain't the roof or the doors

If there's love in a house

It's a palace for sure

- T. Waits

MFH