A Miserable Pile of Secrets Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Vince knocked on Arthur's bedroom doors, and Arthur answered. He didn't know what was meant to happen, didn't even know how he was supposed to feel even after a good night's sleep.

Vince had his normally confident aura as he smiled at him. His hair was free and fragrant. "Hey there. Want some steak and eggs?"

"Steak?" Arthur put his fingers in his jeans' pockets. "Sounds weird for breakfast."

"But it's healthy and delicious." Vince's cheekbones and eyes made a pleased, expecting expression. "Come on, the weather's great. Let's fire up a charcoal grill."

Charcoal steak? For breakfast? In springtime?

So weird.

Feeling a bit off, yet also pretty docile, Arthur followed Vince and watched him get a big bag of charcoal from a pantry and go to one of the courtyards. A charcoal grill was waiting on them, and Vince acted like a patient teacher, as he sometimes did. This is how much lighter fluid you need. This is how you know when the charcoal's ready. Here's how you season your steaks. Practical lessons and whatnot.

Arthur even stood by him, watching the steaks cook and smelling the comforting air. When the steaks were done, Arthur volunteered his services for the eggs and beverages. Over easy with some Cajun seasoning. Then coffee and orange juice.

Side by side, quietly eating at a bar counter, nothing much happened. Only when the meal ended did Vince drop the bomb.

He took something out of his pocket and basically slammed it on the counter, which certainly made Arthur jump in his bar stool. He looked at the thing with concerned eyes.

It was a black ring box, open and showing off a man's ring. Either platinum or silver, Arthur didn't know what the ring was made of, but it looked like one of those metals. A smooth line had been engraved around the perimeter, but closer to one side. Above that line, there was a small pale stone, could have been a diamond, moissanite, or anything else that looked similar, really. It sure was glittery.

"Oh fuck you." Arthur got up and started walking away. "I'm tired of your shit."

Vince caught up to him and grabbed his wrist, tugging Arthur to face him. He looked like he was about to laugh. "Come on, I'm serious."

"We haven't known each other a full year!" Arthur pried Vince's hand off his wrist and turned back.

But Vince took his shoulder and moved in front. "We live together. Might as well."

Arthur's face was so shriveled that he might as well have had a lemon in his mouth. "You haven't even met my parents."

"Then let's do that," Vince said with earnest eyes and a tightening grip on Arthur's shoulder. "Call your parents, tell them you've met someone, and you'd love to visit for a weekend or so if they don't mind."

First, Arthur's jaw dropped as his brain tried to rewire his thoughts. Second, his jaw went back up and he shook his head. "I haven't ... I haven't seen my parents in a long time. Jake kept me away ... and," he pointed his eyes at some thing he wasn't really looking at, "when I ran away, I couldn't risk going back to them. What if Jake had hurt them, you know?"

"They're nice people, right?" Vince stopped holding his shoulder. He caressed the spot instead.

"Yeah."

"And they love you, right?" Vince touched Arthur's chin and moved his head to meet his eyes. He looked determined, happy and sweet, but still determined.

"Yeah." Arthur purposely turned his eyes away even as his face was held closer.

"Then call them and arrange a visit." Vince decided to hug him then. It made Arthur feel like he was being manipulated again, but Vince was sounding almost reasonable. Why not go see his parents? That's what one should normally do, right?

"And you don't have to marry me right now," Vince added, "but at least wear the ring, okay?" Vince was slipping his hands under Arthur's shirt, rubbing his back. "Besides, I think you'll feel better about me spoiling you if you were my spouse, right?"

"Well ... it wouldn't be as weird, I guess." Arthur's voice was muffled by Vince's shirt and the firm muscles underneath. "But I've never been married before, and this is a serious commitment. You can't just wake up one day and say 'Let's get married!'"

Vince kneaded Arthur's back muscles a little, making him whine and shiver. His voice was a quiet, creeping thing. "Well, I'm in love with you. I won't be satisfied until you marry me, so there."

Huh?

Love?

Really?

Arthur didn't know how to respond to that. His eyes were glazed over with a film of shock and uncertainty. What was he supposed to do? What in the world should he do?

Jake once told Arthur he loved him, but a week later he smashed Arthur's head through a window. Words didn't mean shit, not really.

But ...

Vince was kissing him.

His words shouldn't have meant a thing.

Arthur was kissing back.

But Arthur held onto those words. He wanted to be loved. He honestly did. He wanted someone to think he was the best thing since air conditioning.

Was this selfish?

Was this fair?

To want someone to love you, even though you weren't sure if you were in love or not?

Arthur's self-esteem was flaking away, but the more contact his lips had with Vince's, the more he felt whole.

***

12