A Second Chance at Love Ch. 05

Story Info
An older man befriends a younger woman
2.3k words
4.56
70.2k
38
13

Part 6 of the 6 part series

Updated 11/01/2022
Created 02/13/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
komrad1156
komrad1156
3,774 Followers

After a fitful night's sleep, Clint was wide awake at 5:30 am and out on the road by six o'clock. He pushed himself hard through his favorite four-mile course in order to break this obsession about Lauren going out with Dr. Hansen. By the third mile he found some relief and by the end of the run which he finished in a half-mile sprint, he felt like his old self. He knew the endorphin high would only last a few hours, but any break from this adolescent heartache was a godsend.

By the time he got out of the shower, he could smell the scent of bacon wafting into his bedroom. After he finished dressing he walked into the hallway and could see Lauren in the kitchen standing over the stove. As Clint made his way toward the breakfast table, he stifled the first hint of a return of those awful—feelings. "Coffee?" Lauren asked cheerfully. Before he could answer she said, "You were out early. How'd you sleep?"

Clint poured himself a steaming cup of black coffee, took a sip, then lied, "Not bad. How about you?"

"I couldn't sleep all night! All I could do was think about going out with Rick. I mean, can you imagine a guy likehimbeing interested in a girl likeme?" It was Clint's turn not to be able to respond before Lauren chattered on. "I mean, he's gotta be like 30 years old AND a doctor. Okay, he's a dentist but that's still a doctor, right? I mean, why would we like call himDoctorHansen if he wasn't like arealdoctor? You know what I'm saying?"

Clint fought off the annoyance Lauren's repeated use of the word "like" stirred up inside of him. And who says "you know what I'm saying?" Instead of telling her what he was really thinking he said, "Who wouldn't be interested in a beautiful young woman like you, Lauren? You're irresistible."

Lauren put down the tongs she was using to turn the bacon and ran to the table where Clint was sitting. She practically jumped into his lap and threw her arms around him. "See? That's why I love you so much, Mr. Pierce. You're like the Dad I never had." Lauren jumped back up and returned to her duties as breakfast chef. When she started humming, Clint thought he might crawl out of his skin.

Somehow, he managed to put away the eggs, bacon, and toast Lauren had made along with a second cup of coffee. Lauren had a single piece of dry toast and half a small glass of orange juice. "Oh, don't forget. I'm getting my splint off this morning at 10 o'clock." It was a splint anymore, per se, but the final thing—whatever it was—had to come off and her nose given a final check.

Clint was putting his plate into the dishwasher when he finally heard what she was saying. "Right. Ten o'clock. Sounds good."

"Hey. Are you okay?" Lauren asked with genuine concern.

"Me? Sure. I'm fine. Just a little preoccupied, I guess." A second lie and it wasn't even 8am. Nice.

It was ten minutes before ten when Clint pulled into the parking lot of the medical/dental clinic which was home to not only the outpatient medical clinic where she was being seen but Dr. Hansen's office, as well. He and Lauren walked right passed the dentist's office on the way to her appointment. He got Lauren checked in, paid the $150 fee for her office visit, and took a seat in the waiting room.

As he was mindlessly flipping through a golf magazine—a game he rarely played in rainy, wet Seattle—he heard a familiar voice say, "You couldn't even stop in and say hello?" He looked up to see Lorraine standing in front of him with a pretend scowl on her face. "Did you think I wouldn't notice you walking right past me like that, Cling Pierce?" She raised her eyebrows for emphasis.

"Well, yes. Uh, no. I mean....gee, I'm really sorry, Lorraine. I haven't been thinking too clearly the last day or so."

"Oh. I get it. Someone isn't happy about someone dating someone else, is he?" Lauren said as she sat down next to Clint.

"What? You mean Lauren and Rick? Nah. Come on. Why would that bother me? And why would I be interested in her? She's only a kid, Lorraine."

"It's okay. I get it. I had a crush on Dr. Hansen the first month I worked here and he's a LOT younger than me."

"Crush? What in the world are you talking about? I don't have a crush on Lauren. She's Kara's age. Sort of. I mean...."

Lorraine interrupted him. "Clint. I've known you a long time. I see the way you look at her. It's okay. I'm not judging. She's a beautiful young woman. Why wouldn't you be attracted to her?"

Clint put the magazine down and stared at the clock. It was ten after ten. It seemed like he'd been sitting there for hours. "Clint?" Lorraine said interrupting his train of thought. "I really didn't mean anything by what I said."

"Oh. Umm. It's okay. You're right. I'm guilty as charged. I guess maybe I just thought that there might be more to it than me just care of a fellow lonely soul. But you're right. I'm almost old enough to be her grandfather."

"Nonsense! That's ridiculous," Lorraine countered. "Her Dad? Sure! Grandparent? No way. Besides, a guy like you is bound to attract a lot of women—of all ages, I'm sure." Lorraine looked away as she said that and then she looked right back into Clint's eyes. "I mean you're not half bad lookin', Clint."

Before she could prattle on, Clint blurted out, "Do you want to have dinner with me tonight, Lorraine? You know, while our crushes are out with each other on adatefor Christ's sake?"

"You know I would, Clint. But please don't ask me if I'm just some kind of gap filler. I can wait." Lorraine paused before adding quietly, "Hell, I've waited for two years now."

Clint was jarred back to reality. For the first time since he lost his wife, he really looked at Lorraine and he was amazed at just how attractive she was. She was clearly intelligent, she had a great sense of humor, and she was as friendly as any woman he'd ever known. How could henothave noticed before?

"Gap filler? No way. I'm askingyoubecause I'd like to have dinner withyou. So....will you?"

"In that case, I'd love to and the pleasure is all yours, Clint Pierce." Lorraine flashed him that dazzling smile of hers as she stood up and said, "Break's over. I've got work to do. So what time is dinner tonight?"

"Seven o'clock sound okay? I'll pick you up a few minutes before that and we'll head downtown to someplace nice."

"It's a date! See you then."

Just then, Lauren emerged her nose bandage-free when she too, flashed Clint a beautiful smile. She stopped in front of him, turned her head sideways, and asked, "So. What do you think? Am I perfect now or what?" Lauren was positively radiant and happier than he'd ever seen her (to include last night.)

Clint's own date with Lorraine softened the blow of his disappointment that he'd be taking a "gap filler" to dinner and he was able to say with almost genuine cheer, "You are indeed perfect. Dr. Hansen is a very lucky man, Lauren."

"Oh, my God, no!Iam the lucky one. I am SO totally excited about tonight. I can't wait! What should I wear? That blue dress? No. Not the blue one. How about the black one? Or do you think the red one is prettier? Help me here out, okay? I really need you right now."

Clint sighed. If only Lauren knew how much he neededherright now. "Slow down, kiddo. You'll look fine in any of them. Just take a deep breath and relax, okay? I'll help you choose after we get home. He'll like anything you choose. I promise. And hey, I've got a date of my own tonight. What do you think of them apples?"

"You do? With Lorraine? Oh, Clint. That's wonderful! You deserve to be happy, too. Did I tell youI'mhappy? Can you tell?" Lauren's happiness was infectious and Clint realized that he too, felt happy again. Okay, maybe it was the absence of pain that felt so good but either way, it was a lot better than the way he'd felt the last 18 hours or so. Still, he knew that as good as he felt, he was feeling the way he wanted to feel. Another deep sigh.

Lauren settled on her first-ever "little black dress" after trying on everything Clint had recently bought her. He assured her she looked just fine after asking if he was really sure for the third time.

His duty done, it was time he left for his own date. He threw on his jacket over the grey, button-down shirt he'd chosen and let Lauren know he was heading out. "Have a wonderful time, Clint," Lauren said to him on his way out. "And don't do anything I wouldn't do."

Clint stopped, turned his head, and said, "Don't you do anything...period...on your first date, young lady."

"Okay—dad. I'll be good. I promise." Lauren smiled that smile at him again and he felt a wince of pain that was made up of equal parts of envy and jealousy.

"Sorry. I can't help it. I was a father for a lot of years. But you know I care and you know what I mean, right? In case you don't, let me share some fatherly advice. It's possible to be good AND have fun. Okay?"

"Okay—dad," she teased again. "Now go pick up that beautiful woman and enjoy yourself. And Clint? Thank you again for everything. This all means more to me than I can put into words."

"It's all been my pleasure, Lauren. Now you have a nice time tonight. But nottoonice, okay? See you later."

"Don't wait up for me!" Clint swallowed the hurt he felt forcing its way up from the pit of his stomach at the thought of her being withhimall night.

He looked down and then back at Lauren. Somehow, he managed a wry smile. "No. Don'tyouwait up forme," he said as he winked and closed the door.

When Lorraine opened her door, Clint was stopped dead in his tracks. "You like?" she asked as she turned around to show off her perfect curves and still-tight ass.

"Wow. Yeah, me like!" Clint told her honestly. "Me like a LOT. You look amazing, Lorraine."

She was wearing a very dressy black cashmere sweater with a jeweled neckline that showed off just the right amount of her ample cleavage. Below it she had on a short (but not too short) tan skirt and what looked like three-inch heels which showed off her great-looking legs and calves. Her hair was long, soft, and full while the matching gold earrings and necklace she wore finished off what was a look of sheer elegance.

"Thank you. I'm glad you like it. So where's dinner tonight, Clint?"

"The New Rustic. Have you heard of it?"

"Have I heard of it? It's only my favorite place in the entire city! How did you get reservations so quickly? Oh. Let me guess. Another friend of a friend. Am I right?"

"You are. A guy who bought one of my shops knows the owner who..."

"Okay. I got it. You've got more connections than the Mafia, Clint Pierce. Are you a dangerous man?" Lorraine said with faux concern. "Should I be worried about going out with a real-life mob boss?"

"I think you're safe. I told Vinnie not to carry out the hit unless you turned me down."

"Turned you down? For what? For dinner or for...sex?" Lorraine's eyes were positively wicked in that good kind of way.

"Dinner. For now at least," Clint teased back.

"Well, I definitely don't want to meet Vinnie the hard way so I'd say you've pretty much got a sure thing on your hands, 'Don' Clint." Lorraine moved closer to him without breaking their stare. "Kiss me. Okay, Clint? Please?"

Clint obliged her by leaning down and placing his lips on hers. There was a slow, soft, first kiss, a brief pause and then a longer, deeper second kiss that involved just the right amount of each other's tongues probing the tip of the other's. "See? I told you I'm a sure thing. But I probably should eat something first because I think I'm going to need my strength later on."

Clint kissed her one more time before helping her on with her coat and handing her her purse. "I always like betting on a sure thing, Lorraine." Clint held the door open as Lorraine walked past him.

"Then let me assure you you can go all in right now." Lorraine paused, stopped directly in front of Clint's athletic body and said, "And you can go all the way in again back her tonight." She smiled that wicked smile and Clint suddenly realized he'd have to make some "adjustments down there" before walking to the car.

He was opening the door for Lorraine when he found himself thinking, "I hope Lauren isn't making the same offer tonight to..." He couldn't even say his name to himself.

Lorraine thanked him as he closed her door. As Clint walked around to his side he wondered how he could be with someone this beautiful andthisavailable and still be thinking about a girl young enough to be his daughter. As he started the car, Lorraine slid over next to him and put her head on his shoulder. For now, he was able to stuff those feelings for the girl he wanted but couldn't have as he put his arm around the woman he had but wasn't sure he wanted.

komrad1156
komrad1156
3,774 Followers