A Study in Scarlet: Epilog

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Patty sighed and settled back. "Tim, of course. Because of Tim I wanted to major in criminology. I thought I would be able to help save all of the young hoods." She smiled ruefully, "Don't forget, I was young and idealistic. I got a job with the city police department after I graduated and worked my way up to my present position."

Patty smirked, "Not bad for a kid from the neighborhood, Johnny. We did hear about you now and then. Last I heard you were teaching at Penn, Ivy League no less, right?"

John shrugged, dismissively. "Right, Pat. I'm still at the university. I'm a little shell shocked though. I can't get over this - little Patricia O'Hara, a lieutenant of detectives with the city police. Wow, that's impressive." Patty smiled with a bit of pride. "Right, Johnny. I agree with you, it is impressive," she laughed. "I've gone back to school, working on my doctorate in Clinical Psychology. I got my Master's about 10 years ago and decided recently to pursue a Ph.D. Now you should be impressed," and she laughed again.

John just sat there, stunned, shaking his head. "You mean I could have seen you on campus? Good Lord, I could have even passed you and not have known."

"Oh, no, Johnny. I couldn't afford an ivy league school. Temple university on Broad St. is good enough. I get an excellent education there without the huge cost. It doesn't have the prestige, but who needs that," Patty replied.

She looked at her watch and frowned regretfully. "I have to go now, John. It really has been nice seeing you again and chatting, but I really do have to go."

"Patty, can I see you again? I'd love to catch up with what else has been happening. Can I give you a call?" John asked.

"Sure, Johnny. I'd like that. Here's my card - let me write my home number on the back. Give me a call when you can." She scribbled her number, smiled, clasped John's hand and strode from the bar. John sat there for a few moments. Then, smiling, he rose and headed for home. He had quite a bit to think over.

********************

A few hundred miles to the south, Esther Watson sat at her desk, working on a brief that was due the next day. It was difficult for her to concentrate. The roof was leaking again and the landlord was finding all kinds of excuses why he couldn't get someone there right away. Her foot had caught on the torn linoleum again coming into the office and now she had a tender ankle. "Damn," she thought to herself. "What a shit hole, but that's what you get when you work with the underprivileged." She knew that she had gone into this with her eyes open, but she still chafed at how difficult it was to get funding for legal services for the poor.

Her thoughts were interrupted when her friend, one of the social workers, came in and collapsed in the chair in front of Esther's battered desk.

"Esther, I can't get Marsha to press charges against that asshole. She keeps saying that he's her husband and she doesn't want him to go to jail. Damn, she's stubborn as hell about that," exclaimed Rita Bates.

Esther Watson smiled at her friend. "Rita, we can do only what we're allowed. If Marsha doesn't want to help herself, then so be it. One day she's going to realize that she's in a dead end relationship and perhaps then we can help her. Don't get discouraged. We move on to those who will accept our help."

"Yeah, I know you're right, Es. It's just so hard. Poverty has got to be one of the most horrible conditions one could imagine, and so few are trying to deal with the situation. Look at us, it's like we're trying to bail out a boat that's sinking with tea cups. Shit.

"Anyway," Rita continued, changing the subject. "It's Friday, Es. Another weekend spent in that dumpy apartment? Why don't you ever want to go out with us and let go. I really don't think it's healthy the way you shut yourself up. C'mon, Es," Rita wheedled. "Join us tonight. We're going to Johnny's, they have a great band. We can get a little drunk and maybe get lucky," and she smiled with a theatrical leer on her face.

Rita Bates didn't see the flash of pain on Esther's face when she mentioned the name of the club. It was gone in an instant. "Rita," she chided. "That's not for me. I have no interest in getting drunk and no interest in "getting lucky" as you so delicately put it. Get out of here now and let me finish this damned thing before the day is over," and she leaned over and patted her friends hand, taking some of the sting from her words.

Rita shrugged, "Okay, honey, but I won't quit trying. One day I'm going to get you to let down your hair. You're a gorgeous gal, you need a man," she shot back as she left for the day.

Esther sat quietly for a moment, thinking to herself. "Yeah, I do need a man, but I screwed that up and lost the only man I ever really wanted. But maybe Rita's right. Maybe I do need to get out, let down my hair." Her eyes then narrowed as her thoughts went back in time. "Oh, no. Oh, no, that's one thing that I don't want. Letting down my hair caused me to lose what I should have valued more." She shook her head to rid herself of regrets and bent over her work.

As Esther was finishing up for the day, she saw Bill Sagan slouch into the room. The office was divided into three distinct areas, each one occupied by an attorney and two social workers, but the walls didn't reach the ceiling and were flimsy and gave very little privacy. Volunteer clerical help was a hit and miss thing, but fortunately, they were able to function with the few women who did come in to do the typing and filing.

"Hi Es, almost finished? he asked.

Esther looked at him and smiled. Bill was such a dear man. He was in his mid 50s and widowed. He had made a small fortune in his own marketing business, but when his wife passed away he had lost interest in accumulating money and decided that he would enjoy helping the less fortunate. He had returned to school, had gotten his Master's in Social Work and was donating his services without pay.

Bill's lean and lanky 6 foot frame and long face belied a very sharp, perceptive mind. Esther, in a moment of weakness, had related the reasons why she had moved and had come to work at the legal aid group. Perhaps his slight resemblance to her ex-husband prompted that conversation. She remember how he had taken her hand and had commiserated with her. She considered him a dear and valued friend.

"Yep, done for the day, Bill, thank goodness. It'll be good to get out of here for a couple of days," she replied, a bit wearily.

Bill hesitated, then asked tentatively, "Es, how about dinner? I hate eating alone and I sure would enjoy your company."

Esther thought for a brief moment. "Sure, Bill. I'd like that, but no place upscale. Is that okay?"

"Sure," smiled a relieved Bill. "How about if I pick you up around 7. We can go to that Italian place near your apartment. Is that okay?"

"Sounds good. See you then," replied Esther as she and her friend locked up and exited the building. ********************

The dinner was fine, the food good and the conversation friendly and easy. Esther felt comfortable and recognized that it truly was good to get out of her apartment and mingle with friends. She did notice that Bill seemed to be a bit thoughtful and just a little preoccupied during dinner and often seemed to be deep in thought as he sipped his Chianti.

"You're sure that you don't want a glass of wine, Es. It really is good," asked Bill again.

Esther glanced at him with a bit of annoyance. "Bill, I'm surprised you keep asking me that. You know what happened to me. I told you before, I'll never have any alcohol again. Never," she repeated emphatically.

Bill nodded. "I know, Es. Really, I do remember that conversation. But I want to ask you to do me a favor, but think before you answer. Okay, Es?...it's important."

Esther stared at him, now puzzled. "What's the question? Why suddenly so serious? What's on your mind, Bill?"

Bill reached over and took her hand. "Essie, do you trust me? Wait...this is important. Think. Do you trust me? Do you know that I would never do anything to harm you or let harm come to you? Do you believe that?"

Esther blinked in surprise. What did that come from? She hesitated a bit and then replied, "I guess so, Bill. Yes, I do believe that. I do trust you, but why are you asking me that question? What do you want?" she asked a bit fearfully.

Bill hesitated a bit, then answered. "Es, I'd like you to see Ben Forbes. I took the liberty of discussing you with him and he's agreed to see you. Wait, wait," he said to forestall her rising ire. "Just remember what I told you. I would never do anything to harm you or let harm come to you. I really believe that this could help you."

Esther sat there, a bit upset and confused. "Dr. Forbes? But, Bill, Dr. Forbes is a psychiatrist and his specialty is alcoholism and anyway, he retired 2 months ago. Why should I see him? I'm not an alcoholic." Bill nodded. "I know that you're not, Es. I really don't want to say too much right now. Please, Esther. You said that you trust me. Just call Ben, he's expecting your call. He'll explain everything. I know that I'm asking a lot of you....jeez, I hate to use an old bromide, but it really is in your best interest."

********************

"Hello? Patty?" John Watson asked haltingly into the phone.

"Yes. Johnny?" Patricia O'Hara asked.

John smiled as he recognized her voice. "Hi, Patty. Just calling to see how you are and ask if you'd like to have dinner sometime this week."

Patty chuckled a bit. "Well, it took you long enough. It's been, what?...two weeks since I gave you my number?"

"I know, I know, Pat. I just got snowed under here. I know I should have called earlier, but to tell the truth, you made me feel a little intimidated." John then laughed self consciously.

"You're kidding?" Pat asked disbelievingly. "I intimidated Dr. John Watson? I learned who you are at the University. I also researched the books and articles you've written. You've got quite a reputation, John, and you're telling me that I intimated you?"

"Yeah, yeah," John muttered. "Don't believe everything you read, Pat. Now, how about dinner? Maybe somewhere in the old neighborhood?"

As soon as John indicated that location he paused, wondering what made him suggest that. Was he returning to his roots?

He didn't have too much time to ponder that. Patty laughed again and agreed. "Okay, Johnny. Here's my address, pick me up tomorrow around 7 and I'll find someplace that we'll both enjoy."

John sat back after he finished his conversation. He appeared thoughtful, a bit introspective. He liked Patty O'Hara, he had enjoyed being with her that evening. Could this be a burgeoning, meaningful relationship? He shook his head impatiently and felt foolish. Damn, it was only a date, he'd been dating, why did he feel that this was any different than all of the others. He brushed those questions aside and turned to working on the paperwork which he was really beginning to despise. Academia was no different than corporate America. They were both drowning in red tape.

********************

John pushed himself back a bit from the table and groaned. "Woody, I'm amazed that you don't weigh 300 pounds, and, Renee, where on earth did you learn to cook like this? That's a talent I never expected, what a delicious dinner."

Irene smiled wickedly, "Oh, I have many talents, don't I, Woody?'

Her husband forced a laugh, but his flush demonstrated his embarrassment. "Don't start, Renee. Damn, she just loves embarrassing me.....if I had only known then..."

John smiled affectionately at his friends. "Okay, guys. Enough of that or I'll start getting embarrassed. Again, thanks for dinner, but just because you were my guests for a meal doesn't mean that you have to so quickly repay. C'mon, this isn't tit for tat."

"Oh, John. Don't be silly, we've been friends for too long for that. We invited you for dinner because we enjoy your company. This had nothing to do with quid pro quo," remonstrated Irene.

"Okay, okay, Renee. I'll accept that," and he chuckled. "You can invite me for dinner anytime you wish, especially with this unknown talent... for cooking, for cooking," John added quickly.

Both Irene and Woody laughed in response. Irene then looked at her friend with a glint in her eyes. "So, tell me, John. You've been dating this Patty O'Hara for what, 3 or 4months now? Is it getting to be more than just casual meeting with a friend?"

Woody groaned, "Jeez, I told her, John. I told her to keep her nose out of your business. She just doesn't listen, damn it." Irene ignored him and continued to gaze steadily at her friend. John just shook his head and grinned ruefully. "You never change, Renee. Why are you so interested in Patty? I told you before that I knew her years ago as a kid, now she's grown and I like her and find her interesting. Period, end of story."

Irene wouldn't let go. "Okay, John. She's interesting and you like her. Is it going further than that, or is there the potential for more? Listen, John. I'm not just a noseybody. Whether anyone believes me or not, I love you like a brother and I want the best for you. I want you to be happy, Johnny, that's all."

John rising ire deflated at her words. He knew that she truly did care and want the best for him. He glanced at Woody, who sat there with his head in his hands, causing John to actually laugh out loud.

"Damn, Renee. Only you could get away with this crap. Yes, I like her. I admire her intelligence, I like her humor and the self deprecating indifference to what she has done and is accomplishing. I like the way she looks, she's lovely. I like being with her." John paused for a moment, considering.

"Is there more? Could there be more? I don't know, Renee. I really don't know. Right now we're just friends and I like that. I don't think that we're ready for anything more. Don't forget, Patty is a widow, she lost her husband a couple of years ago in that hell hole that is Iraq and she's still angry and still grieving. I'm sure that she also is not looking for anything more than we now have and I'm comfortable with that also."

John paused, looking at Irene quizzically. "Okay, Renee? Satisfied?" he again asked, but without rancor. He knew that she meant well and he truly did love her as a dear and valued friend.

********************

A late spring shower was spotting the dusty street, but John Watson strode, deep in thought, almost indifferent to the fact that his light jacket wasn't much protection from the rain. His mind was occupied with thoughts of Patty O'Hara and he was trying to determine exactly what his feelings were. He acknowledged that he enjoyed her company - she was intelligent and well read and he was quite aware of how attractive she was. So why the ambivalence? Mentally shrugging aside his confusion he paused and looked about, noticing with a smile that he was up the block from the saloon (calling it a lounge would have been pretentious) where Patty had taken him at their first and rather unusual encounter and where they had returned many times thereafter.

John entered and, removing his wet jacket, waved at Sammy behind the bar and asked for a cup of coffee. Sipping the hot brew he noticed Sammy looking at him quizzically. "So Doc, I usually see Patty with you. How come you're alone today?

"I was just taking a walk, Sam. I wound up here almost accidently and I think Patty is on duty now. Her shifts keep changing, I don't know how she keeps track of it all."

John paused and looked at Sammy speculatively. "Sammy, you've been here almost forever, haven't you?"

"Over 25 years, Doc. I bought this place on a shoestring. You should remember what this looked like, it was a dump. I made a deal with the guy who owned it. He was desperate to get rid of it and while it ain't no fancy joint, it is clean from the kitchen to the bar and it makes me a living. I got no complaints."

"Yeah, I do remember, Sammy. I left the neighborhood before that and never really returned. My folks had moved and I didn't have anything to bring me back...not until now," John concluded quietly, his voice trailing off.

Sammy looked at John thoughtfully for a moment. "It's Patty, ain't it, Doc? You think that maybe you got a thing for her? I hope that you ain't takin' her for a ride, Doc. She's too good a person," and now Sammy had a glint in his eyes.

"Not to worry, Sammy. I would never do anything to harm Patty. We've been friends for too long. As for having a "thing" for her, I don't think so, but to be truthful, I'm just not sure. Right now we're just good friends and I don't want to screw that up."

John glanced up at Sam and grinned. "I'm glad that Patty's your friend, Sam, and I'm glad that you look after her."

Sammy returned the grin, reached over and patted John on the shoulder.

"Just checkin', Doc. Just checkin'." His face then turned a bit somber as he continued. "Look, Doc. I gotta tell you somethin'. There's this guy that's been hittin' on Pat. When she lost her husband this creep made his move. He got real friendly, made like he was really sorry for her loss and started droppin' around whenever she was here. You know, bought her a few drinks and made like he was just being friendly. You know what I mean.

"He really took his time, made like a nice guy for months. Then he started getting a little more than just friendly. You know, askin' her out - said it was just a friendly dinner, just so she could get out. He used to wait for her to come in here, the fuckin' creep. I never trusted him, but Patty kept tellin' me that he was okay, just a friendly guy.

"Well, she finally gave him the brush. I guess she started to get a little leery of him too and she wanted to back away, but the fucker started to get mean, started to talk nasty, you know what I mean. Patty finally told him to get lost or she would arrest him for stalking. I told her that I would be her witness. So anyway, he finally got the hint, but I see him every now and then and I ain't sure about him. He's been hangin' around more often now. I get the feelin' that he's just waiting for a chance at her.

"Look, Doc. I ain't just shooting off my mouth. This guy's a little nutty so watch your back, okay? Just a word to the wise, okay?" Sammy's eyes were boring into John's and it was obvious that he was worried.

********************

"Oh, he just walked in, Pat. Hold on." Julia said as John strode into the office. He nodded at his secretary and told her that he would take it in his office. Closing the door behind me he sank into his desk chair and grinned as he picked up the phone.

"Hi, Patty. Glad I didn't miss your call."

"Hi, Johnny. Got your message to call you at your office. What's up? Everything okay I hope." Patty said.

"Oh, sure. Everything is hunky dory, Pat. Couldn't be better. The sun's shining and the birdies are singing. It's a great day," John laughed.

He could hear Pat returning his laughter. "Well, aren't we in a good mood this morning. So this call is just a friendly 'how are things' kind of thing? You're not asking me to run off with you to Vegas or Reno or anything like that?" she teased.

John laughed again. "Noooo, sorry to disappoint you, kiddo. But I do have a question. Are you free tonight and if you are how about meeting at Sammy's for a burger and beer. I think my waistline can take one of his monsters."

"Sounds good, Johnny. I'm on days for a while so the timing is good. Meet you there around 7? Is that okay?"

"Sounds great, Patty. See you there then." John hung up the phone and smiled to himself as he leaned back in his chair. He had given up agonizing about how he felt about Pat O'Hara. He liked her, he liked being with her and he was just not going to worry about what the future held in store. How did the kids put it these days? Oh, yes: 'Go with the flow.' That's what he was going to do, he would 'go with the flow.'