A Summer By The Lake

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Remember, it could have been you we're helping if circumstances were different. Think how you would feel."

He said a brief prayer and we set off. He rode with my group, June rode with Sarah.

It was a very humbling experience for the kids to see how hard life could be. But it was also filled them with joy. They made sure they had lots of gender neutral small gifts that the smaller children could open right away. Every family got a large box filled with fruit and candies.

It was a bittersweet group that got out of those vans that afternoon. The kids, most in their early teens, grew up quite a bit that day.

Sarah's parents came up for a week. I surprised B.B. by flying her other grandmother in. B.B. had been fond of her, talked to her every week, but only got to see her twice since the divorce.

I was really surprised when my parents accepted my invitation and came up. Our relationship had been strained over the years, first because of my career choice, then my marriage. The shooting, instead of bringing us closer, seemed to drive us even farther apart.

It was a bit odd when we got them together the first time. B.B. finally broke the ice when she looked them over and said, "Boy, am I gonna get a bunch of birthday and Christmas presents if things work out."

By the end of the afternoon she had them all charmed, my mother especially. One of our biggest conflicts was that I hadn't given her grandchildren yet.

There was a quick conference, and soon all five official and unofficial grandparents were gone in my SUV. B.B., Sarah and I took off just as soon as they were out of sight. Our Christmas tree was just barely visible already, so the new batch of presents went under the one at Sarah's.

The sleeping arrangements caught me by surprise. All the grandparents took over Sarah's house and Sarah and B.B. stayed with me. B.B. had long ago designated one bedroom as hers and had decorated it accordingly.

We sat drinking hot cocoa and talking about the day when Sarah yawned. I took her hand and pulled her off the couch.

"Come on honey, time for bed."

I kissed B.B.

"Goodnight, daughter. Try to get some sleep, big day tomorrow."

I pulled Sarah behind me into my bedroom. She followed in a daze. As I shut the door B.B. gave me a thumb's up, smiling even as tears trickled down.

Sarah finally seemed to come awake.

"Are you sure about this?"

"As sure as I can possibly be. You can always go to another bedroom if you want."

She sat for a minute.

"No, this is where I want to be. I have to go get my clothes though. I'll be right back."

After five minutes I peeked out the bedroom door. She and her daughter, our daughter, were in a tight hug. I eased the door closed.

She went right by me into the bathroom, coming back out in a sensible gown. She looked at me and smiled.

"Even if she is fourteen. tomorrow she'll be four. Expect to wake up early, to her bouncing up and down on the bed."

She we lay down and snuggled. As she nestled on my shoulder, her warm breath tickling my chest, I wondered if she'd like my Christmas present.

Sure enough, at five thirty the next morning, the bedroom door slammed open.

"Get up! Get up! Merry Christmas. Come on, we have to get breakfast started."

She had premade the batter last night. Her village of grandparents got to taste her waffles and were suitably impressed. They all sat back when they were done with contented sighs.

We teased B.B. by talking about what we would do next.

Watching parades, football games, and dog shows were discussed. I suggested going back to bed for a few hours. B.B. finally stamped her foot.

"Fine! I guess I'll go unwrap presents by myself."

We all laughed and trooped to the living room.

It must have taken an hour, but the presents were all distributed and opened. Then we had to go back to Sarah's and do it again.

Finally, everyone thought it was over. I looked at my mom, and she nodded, looking towards the tree. I had asked her to hang a couple of extra ornaments for me.

"I think you guys missed a couple."

I pointed at the tree. There were two decorated laminate eggs hanging in front. The pink one had B.B. monogrammed on it, the light blue one had Sarah.

B.B. opened her first. Small diamond earrings I had bought months ago, when she had shown them to me in the window of a jewelry store in Chicago. It set off a wave of tears.

Sarah instinctively knew something big was about to happen. She slowly opened the egg and collapsed on the couch. I never was impressed with diamonds, so I had her ring custom made, a beautifully cut sapphire, surrounded by small diamonds.

I was beside her by then, holding her shaking body.

"Well, honey, do you like it? If not, pick anything you want, just as soon as you say you'll marry me."

She sat and rocked, crying as the parents congratulated her.

I slipped it on her finger. She held it out, admiring the sparkle. Then she surprised us all.

"I say yes, conditionally. I want to marry you with all my heart. But we need to discuss something. When I'm finished if you still want to marry me, I accept. If you don't, I'll understand."

She looked at our parents.

"We're going back to Harry's house for a bit. Please give us and hour of privacy."

It was a silent walk up the driveway, but she held my hand the whole time.

She made fresh coffee and we sat in front of the fireplace.

"Honey, do you know how old I am?"

I assumed she was around my age. I shook my head no.

"I'm thirty seven, Seven years older than you. When I was pregnant with B.B. my husband pushed me down the stairs. B.B. was born six weeks premature. I'll always believe that's why she's as small as she is. Because of complications, I can never have children again. So, my age doesn't matter. I can't give you children. Do you still want to marry an old, barren woman?"

I took her hand.

"Look at me" I commanded, not speaking until she held my eye.

"I didn't fall in love with an old woman, or a baby factory. I fell in love with you. As good as you look now, when we're seventy and you look fifty I'll have to beat the men off of you with my cane. And you've already given me a child, a man couldn't ask for a more perfect daughter. If we decide we want more children, there are plenty out there that need a loving home."

"Before you answer, I have a few things I need to tell you. I bought your house so you'd stay here with me. The retirement money your dad sent you came from me. I'm the mysterious foundation that funded the library and got you the job. If you needed it and it was in my power to give it to you you got it. Please don't be angry. I was in love with you even then, and I would have given my last dime to keep you around."

She sat for a minute, absorbing what I had said. Then she smiled.

"You loved me that much?"

I nodded. "You, and your daughter."

"So, to address your concerns and conditions, I am more than happy with you just the way you are. I couldn't love you more than I already do. The rest is up to you. Yes or no?"

I think she actually fainted. She sat stock still in my arms before she turned and gave me the softest kiss I had ever had. They felt like they had been brushed by angel wings.

"Yes" she said quietly, before grabbing my head and jamming our mouths together so hard I figured we'd have bruises later.

I finally had to pull back.

"we have to stop now babe. But you have my solemn promise we will resume this later. Now, we have family waiting on us."

The afternoon went by in a pleasant blur. Her ex mother in law pulled me aside.

"You're a good man, Harry. She deserved to be happy. My son had, no, in honesty he still has issues. I see how B.B. looks at you. Be a good dad to her. And please, allow her to keep in touch with me."

I shocked her with my conversation. I knew she was on a fixed income and struggling.

"Do you like it here? Anything besides your son holding you in Chicago? We'd like you to move down here, so you can be close to your granddaughter. It wouldn't cost you a thing, this house is going to be empty soon. Think about it."

She was crying quietly as I passed her off to my mother. I saw my mom look at me like it was the first time she had ever seen me.

We all bundled up to go to Christmas services. We had to drive two vehicles. B.B. had two solos, one with the youth choir, and one with the full choir.

The younger kids put on a play, and Greg gave an inspired sermon.

It was Christmas, and I felt as happy as a human should be allowed to feel. Greg was there shaking hands and hugging everyone. I held back while he talked to B.B. and the assembled grandparents.

When I got him alone I asked him a question.

"Do you know who that new minivan with the temporary tag belongs to?"

It had been parked there since yesterday. He had no idea.

"Why reverend, I'm shocked. I thought you knew everything about your flock right down to their underwear size. You really don't know who it belongs to?"

He shook his head, wondering where this was going.

"Surely, Greg, you recognize your own car, don't you?" I handed him the keys.

It was the first time I had ever seen him speechless. His car was on it's last leg. There's nothing more embarrassing than being late to church when you're the reverend.

Before he could protest I cut him off.

"Don't say a word. I didn't give it to you. God did. If you have a problem, take it up with Him."

I paused as I went out the door.

"If you really want to thank me, I am looking for someone to conduct a marriage service. Call me if you find a preacher willing to do it. Merry Christmas to all."

.................................................

There were a lot of tears and hugs later when everybody left. Before I had a chance to argue, the grandparents started talking about which weeks B.B. was going to stay with them this summer. I almost lost my new daughter before I got her. The single grandmother just smiled when they asked her what week she wanted, saying it really didn't matter.

She went back to Chicago and stayed just long enough to pack what she wanted to keep, get rid of the rest, and say goodbye to her friends. Her son went ballistic when she told him.

"Why would you care? I've lived six blocks from you for two years, and you've been to see me once. I talk to you once a month on the phone, and I have to call. You're not angry about me leaving, you're angry about where I'm going. Maybe I'll send you pictures of your daughter from time to time."

She left before he could reply.

When Sarah found out what I did she looked at me stunned. Then she smiled.

"Just when I think you can't surprise me or make me love you even more, you prove me wrong."

So "Granny J" moved in. She immediately volunteered at the new library and joined the church. It soon became apparent where B.B. inherited her voice from. June paired them with her best two male voices. Pretty soon the quartet started singing at rest homes and local gatherings. They were even invited to some statewide concerts.

I was writing, Sarah was working, B.B. had church and school, and we ended up spending less and less time together. I took if for about six weeks before I called a family meeting.

"The purpose of being a family is to be together. I know what we do is important to people, but we need to keep our focus on us. I don't want us to be soccer parent/committee members/professionals.

I want us to be like we were before, but better. All right?"

We all agreed and Granny J broke the ice.

"Does this mean I have to give up my bingo night?"

We all laughed and hugged, and started making sure we blocked out most of the weekend for each other.

The wedding was set for the first week in May. Sarah spent most nights with me and B.B. divided her time between houses. Most times we all stayed in my house, It just made it easier.

Jane, I didn't like addressing her as Granny J, was a voracious reader with an amazing memory. I had finished the first draft of my new novel, and was looking into doing an historical based novel on the Over Mountain Men, a loose group of Revolutionary War irregulars from most of the Southern border states and territories, who converged on Kings Mountain, On the North/South Carolina border to battle and defeat the loyalist troops under the command of Major Patrick Furgueson.

Many considered it the turning point of the war, driving Cornwallis to his ultimate defeat and surrender. Up until then these men pretty much ignored the war, fighting Indians and trying to keep their farms going. When Cornwallis put out his proclamation stating that he intended to burn their homes, kill their livestock, and leave their children orphaned, they took offense.

These weren't regular troops, but frontiersman who grew up fighting Indians. They had no formal knowledge of battle. They would hide behind a tree, shoot you, then run away until they could reload. They massacred the loyalists, including their leader, and then killed many who surrendered in their rage.

Jane became a paid researcher, giving me a lot of help. When the book was finished, she got credit for her contribution.

................................................

Meanwhile, things were not going so well for Mr. Edward Jones. He lost the job he loved so much in the continuing disintegration of the economy. The hot young blonde, seeing the end of her shopping sprees and vacations, left him. He started drinking more, and misbehaved so badly to another tenant the police were called and the management sent him a formal letter, threatening eviction if anything similar happened again.

He brooded and fumed, and came to the conclusion if Sarah hadn't left him everything would be fine.

Then he blamed me for taking them away from him, even though they had divorced and she had moved well before I came into their lives.

Finally, he decided that all he needed to do to get his life back on track was his family back. With that in mind he flew into the closet big city and rented a car. He'd straighten the whole thing out, by God, and put their asses on a plane back home.

It was early April and the snow was still on the ground and there was a chance for more in the next few days. Already dark by five, we had settled in for the night. Sarah and B.B. were spending the night with me. B.B. had her room exactly as she wanted it by now, but Sarah was making little comments like "Wouldn't a different window treatment look nice?" or "Wouldn't some bright pillows liven up this couch?" until I hugged her and told her she could do anything she wanted right up to the office door. That room was strictly forbidden.

B.B. was talking about riding her new fourwheeler down to check on her grandmother, something one of us always did before bedtime. The phone rang and it was Jane, in a panic. Edward had shown up, demanding to see Sarah and B.B. She told him they were out, and he should come back later. He was roaring through the house looking for them.

Sarah had called 911 while I went down to her house. I carried my .40 Smith and Wesson. When I told Sarah months ago I didn't have guns laying around the house I wasn't lying. That didn't mean I didn't own them.

Luckily there was a deputy close by. He pulled into the drive the same time I did. He saw my holstered weapon.

"Wiley, lay you weapon in the back seat of my car. Let me handle this."

I complied, I had no choice.

He got Edward out of the house, keeping his hand on his taser. By then he had calmed down, but he told the deputy he was staying until his wife and daughter came home. I got Sarah on the phone with the deputy.

"I am not his wife. We've been divorced for almost two years. I have primary custody of our child. I did not invite him and I don't want him there. Can you make him leave? Tell him to call me and set up a time and he can come out, if he's sober and rational. Now, he's upset his mother, who does live here, pretty badly. Can you help me?"

He forced him to leave, telling him he would be charged with trespassing and spend the night in jail if he didn't. Some of what he said sunk in, and Edward left. The deputy followed him all the way down the mountain.

He came out the next day, sober, I sat out on the deck, giving them privacy but being close at the same time. It started quietly but soon got loud.

"Honey, I want out family back. Come home, we can be happy again."

Sarah and B.B. looked at him like he had grown two heads.

"Ed, were divorced. I don't love you anymore, and I don't think you ever loved us. You just loved your lifestyle. We can't work things out, I'm in love with someone else."

She held up her hand and showed him the ring. He lost it.

"So, your rich boyfriend got to you, did he? How does it feel to have a sugar daddy? How much do you think he spends on you per average for a piece of your pussy? How long before you get tired of him, clean him out and move on?"

Sarah went pale and B.B. started crying and ran out to me. I was in the house instantly. I didn't pretend to be reasonable.

"Look, asshole, you don't have a family anymore. You threw them away and you can't have them back. She's my woman now, and B.B. is my daughter. Know why? Because I give them love, and try to made their lives better any way I can. If she wanted me to sign everything I had away to her before she'd marry me, I'd do it in an instant. You've said your piece, made your argument, and lost. Go home now. If you want to see B.B., come during your scheduled visitation, we won't stop you."

"As far as visitation, we're going to amend it so you can't take her out of state. I don't trust you, and I have to worry about the safety of my daughter. Fight it if you want, we'll be glad to see you in court. I'm even willing to let you stop paying child support if you leave us alone. Think about it and get back to us. Now, it's time for you to leave."

He was furious. Sarah had her hand on the phone. She had already dialed 911, all she had to do was hit send. He was a lot bigger than me, but I was in better shape and had taken a few self defense classes. The fact that I was ready to fight him made him stop and think.

"This isn't over." he snarled as he left.

I had all three girls in a group hug, promising it was going to be all right.

After I got them settled I made a phone call.

"Harry, how you doing? I got something I need a little help with. Can you meet me at the diner at lunch? Thanks Harry. See you then."

Harry Winston was a retired cop, a former detective with the sheriff department. I had used him as a source a couple of times when I had to verify procedures and protocols for one of my books. He loved it, it relieved his boredom. It didn't hurt when I sent him a check for consultant services. He was a widower, his wife died a few years ago in a car crash. I went to the funeral.

He wasn't actually retired, he was a reservist. These were guys who had retired but kept their certification, helping with traffic at big events and patrolling at least two days a month. This worked well because it gave them a little extra income and broke up the monotony of retirement, and it gave the active guys time off. They would work weekends mostly, or anytime a regular deputy needed time off.

I sat down at the table.

"How you doing Harry?"

"Pretty good. How you been, Junior?"

He called me junior because we both had the same name. I t seemed to make him feel good so I didn't object.

"Great in one way, not so good in others. You know I'm getting married, Right?"

He grinned.

"Yeah, never thought I'd see it. She's pretty and seemed intelligent, and she's got a firecracker for a daughter. My grandson has a crush on her, so I get to hear all about her. You're a lucky man, junior. I got the invitation, we'll be at the wedding. I have to see it for myself."

1...345678