A Twist of Destiny Bk. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I made a baby with you. The result was our daughter, who lacks most of the more common abilities but inherited the power to go back in time, which manifested only when she wanted it badly enough. Now you've got another bun in the oven, this one having my hybrid DNA and your "cleaned" DNA. Then I made a third baby, this time with my own daughter, who isn't born yet in our timeline but will be. Conventional wisdom in genetics is that such pairings carry significant risks of defective babies being born with bad recessive genes. But my whole genetic structure has been altered. I am, for all intents and purposes, a perfect human being, without any bad recessive genes. Every frailty or weakness, every genetic disorder or disease, has been erased from my code and what remains is absolute purity. Mating with my daughter may actually enhance the chances of producing a naturally perfect human being without forcibly or directly introducing the alien DNA. Meanwhile our second baby, who will be born in a few short months, will represent a 'natural' pairing of two sets of essentially pure, unrelated human DNA."

I took a deep breath as the full implications of what I'd just said struck me. This line of thinking had been flitting around in the back of my mind for days, but I had only just then brought it all to the surface and really given it some conscious thought. "In World War Two," I continued, "the Germans did a lot of genetic experimentation, focusing primarily on how to breed their notion of perfect humans- blonde hair, blue eyes, sturdy skeletal structure, strong musculature and so on. What for all their faults and hubris, the Nazis were decades ahead of everyone else in eugenics."

"And you think that the United States of America is now engaged in... eugenics?" Kathy asked with not a small amount of skepticism.

I shrugged. "It's a possibility," I answered. "I mean, I don't necessarily think it was their intention from the start, but it had to be expected that at least one of The Guardians would procreate after they'd gone through The Process. Maybe they didn't think one of us would have an interest in incest, but when I came along I was chosen as a prime candidate. Given the right set of circumstances and a guarantee that no negative consequences would ensue, maybe they hoped that I would advance their research a few decades by indulging in my interests."

"I can't believe that we're being used as guinea pigs!" Holly exclaimed. "Okay. Yeah, the way you just put it, it makes sense, but that just sounds so... skeezy!"

"Just remember, honey, that I don't really have anything solid to confirm what I've just theorized. I might be talking out of my ass for all we know. But if it turns out that I'm right, have you had any cause to complain yet? And if we were being taken advantage of, don't you think you'd get it into your head to come back in time and warn yourself?"

"I guess I would," Holly answered uncertainly. "At least, I hope I would." She seemed thoughtful for a moment. "Now that you mention it, I have seen a number of my future selves, all of them from different time periods. None of them said anything about government conspiracies and you-genes."

"Eugenics," I corrected.

"Whatever."

"So where does that leave us?" my wife asked. "Do you think the aliens are aware of what's going on between us, as a family?"

"Seeing as how I've never met them and I don't know exactly what they're capable of," I replied, "your guess is as good as mine, my love."

"David," my wife said seriously, "please be very careful when dealing with them. I don't want our family to get mixed up in... well... anything complicated. Our lives are complicated enough as it is."

"Well that's an understatement!" Darren chimed in.

"Honey," I said calmly, "when have you ever known me to be reckless or irresponsible?"

"Aside from joining the Army when you're in your mid-thirties?" she asked. "Never."

"Well, I don't intend to change things up now, my love. This is my family and I took all of you on as the only family I'll ever have. I'm in no hurry to jeopardize any of you. We started, seven years ago, with practically nothing. We were living hand-to-mouth and paycheck-to-paycheck. I'd like to think that my singular risk of joining the military so late in life has led to a much better life for all of us. We are happier, healthier, stronger and better off than we could have ever dreamed back then. And I'll fight tooth and nail to keep it that way."

"I have a question," Darren piped in. We all looked at him expectantly and he blushed with a wry smirk on his face. "I'm not going to apologize for having sex on the brain. I'm a teenager, okay? So please don't get bent out of shape when I ask this... Dad, you mentioned that your modified DNA has pretty much made you into the perfect human. You've shared your DNA with all of us, either through blood or reproduction. What happened to me is that I got healthier and stronger. But what happens if I... well... if I someday get Mom or Holly pregnant?"

"Son, you might be putting the cart before the horse here. You're presupposing the notion that your mother or sister is willing to take that chance. Sex is one thing. Making babies is something entirely different. My gut is telling me that, should they agree to let you sire a child with them, the offspring would be perfectly healthy. But, really, you've got a couple of years to kick that ball around before it becomes a real concern. And, by that time, it'll be a conversation best had between the three of you."

"I wouldn't mind having a baby with you, Darren," Holly said quietly. We all looked at her with surprise and she looked back at us indignantly. "Oh, come on! Look at him! In another year he's going to be beating the girls off with a bat. He's cute. And I have a feeling that he'll just get cuter as time goes on. He's my brother and I love him. I can't turn him away, not when I've been having sex with my own father- that'd make me the worst kind of hypocrite and I won't do that." She added with a cheeky grin, "Not to the mention the fact that, like any girl my age, bedding a young stud is always fun."

While Darren turned bright red from surprise and shyness, Kathy sighed deeply. "I hate it when my daughter beats me to the punch like that. Darren, I can't guarantee that I'll have the energy to raise another child. The one in my belly will be well into his Terrible Two's by the time you're old enough. I'll be forty years old by then and just too tired to take on another one. I'm your mother, but I'm not a baby factory. Getting me pregnant will probably be off the table. But if your sister gives you a glowing report, we might explore something of a more... recreational nature. Maybe. And only if your Dad approves."

"Oh, don't worry about me, honey," I said quickly. "He's already got my approval. If he was old enough now, I'd give the two of you my blessing in a heartbeat. I'm not the jealous type and I know you love me, no matter what. I also know that, as a mother, your main goal in life is to make your children happy."

"Well, a mother's job isn't necessarily to make her children happy in this way, but I'm learning to adapt to new situations."

"I'll say!" Holly added irreverently.

"Darren," I said, "one of the most important things you're going to learn as a man is that women will make their own decisions and it's best if you just roll with it and keep your own counsel. State what you want or need, but leave the decision-making to them. They're better at it, smarter and have a lot more invested in the matter. If your mother or sister want to bed you, as I'm sure you'd be ecstatic over, then let them call the when and where. If, however, they decide against it, don't crowd them about it or try to convince them otherwise. Respect the women in your life and you'll get along just fine."

"Yes, sir," he said solemnly and then addressed the two women. "I promise I won't be a pest about it. And, Mom, I promise that, until I'm eighteen, I'll do my best to keep enjoying my time as a kid. I'm really in no real hurry to grow up. I just... well... yeah, I feel left out."

Kathy reached across the table and patted her son's hand lovingly. "I understand, honey. I do. But, yeah, for now, I'm happy to keep thinking of you as a kid. I'm not ready for you to be a man."

"But I will be one day."

She smiled sweetly at him. "One day, yes. And, who knows, maybe that one day will be with me. For now, though, you're still my boy and I don't want that to change just yet."

"Same here," Holly added. "Just relax, Darren. Believe me, I know how crazy it can sometimes make you, but you don't want to grow up too fast. I made that mistake and wish that I hadn't. Cammi's father was an idiot and I wasn't ready to be a mother yet. Just have fun, grow up and enjoy life."

"Speaking of life advice," I butted in, "when, exactly, do you intend to go to college, young lady? I know you're content to stay at home with us here, but there are correspondence courses that you can take."

"I've already started some, actually," she said haughtily.

"We didn't think it was necessary to bother you with that information just yet, honey," my wife explained. "With everything else that's been going on lately, we felt that it would just distract you."

"Hmm," I mused quietly for a few seconds. "You might be right. Well, at any rate, I'm glad to hear it. What courses are you taking?"

Holly smiled impishly. "History and physics."

You could have knocked me over with a feather. Since I'd been a part of that family I had never known my daughter to be interested in either of those topics and she had actually gone out of her way to avoid them whenever possible. "Really?" I asked with surprise. "Why those two subjects?"

"Well," my daughter said, "as a time traveler I figure that knowing history might come in handy, especially since I can only go into the past and then come back to my subjective present. And I chose physics because I want to understand how it works. I have a sneaking suspicion that once I learn physics I might be able to do more with the ability I have."

"I don't see how," I said cautiously. "I studied physics when I was in college and I can't imagine how it would inform you to enhancing the talents you already have. But, then again, anything is possible. You might notice something that never stood out to me or it might inspire you to go in new directions. I don't know. I'm just glad that you're taking the plunge and furthering your education. I'm proud of you, sweetheart."

Holly positively beamed at that. "Thank you, Daddy!"

-----------------------------------

"General," I said as I stood in front of his desk, standing at parade rest like a good soldier (even though I was still, technically, a civilian), "I am officially requesting permission to participate in the meeting with our friends in the sky. They've asked for me and, after talking it over with my family, I think it's a good idea."

General Hannis studied me carefully before he said anything. "Your daughter give you a little sneak preview or something?" he asked shrewdly.

"Something like that, sir. I've been assured that nothing bad will happen as a result. No details, though. She's become very careful about what she tells us when talking about future events."

"Rightly so," Hannis agreed with a nod. "I'm sorry that we kept our knowledge of her a secret from you, but I hope you understand why we did."

"I think I do, sir. And I'm not upset about it. I was just a little surprised. It doesn't really change anything, though, does it?"

"Not in the slightest. The rest of the team should be reporting to the meeting room in a few minutes. We've had some minor dealings with this particular species, most of it handled by Doctor Lamb. She'd like to give the four of you a short briefing on how to deal with them." He stood up and indicated that I precede him out of his office. Once we were in the main hallway, he continued. "I should probably warn you that the other three are still a little sore at you after the way you dealt with them in Vegas. They'll be civil but don't expect a warm reception."

I grimaced at that bit of news. We hadn't really seen much of each other since then. The battle had been meant to be a show and nothing more, but I'd given them too sound a beating for their pride to accept. As a result of that exchange, they'd been ordered to leave the U.S. to me and stay out of my way. Conversely, if an American criminal (or a foreign criminal who'd gotten started in the U.S.) ended up somewhere else on the planet, I was to let them take over. I was domestic; they were international. General Hannis had been our intermediary the whole time and it was a role that I'm sure he didn't like.

"I understand, sir. I kind of wish I could go back and do things a bit differently. I guess we all kind of got carried away with the charade."

"That's exactly what they said," Hannis mused. "Maybe you'll be able to reconcile after all. They aren't angry with you, David. They're just... 'annoyed' is, I guess, the best way to describe it."

"I hope, sir, that it'll all be water under the bridge by the time we're done with this whole mess."

"Me, too."

We walked into the briefing room and found Doctor Lamb and The Guardians waiting for us. While Doctor Lamb was quick to greet me with a friendly hug, the rest were, as expected, a bit stand-offish and merely stood up. Whether they were getting up to honor me or the general is a debatable matter, one that I wasn't in a hurry to dwell upon.

We all took our customary seats, just like we had when we were all a cohesive team, and the general took the floor. "It's good to see all of you here," he said neutrally. "Doctor Lamb, as the only person here who's had the most experience with these beings, wanted to give you a short briefing on what to expect when interacting with them. We've received a message from them stating that they want to transport the four of you up to their vessel at ten-hundred hours, which is thirty minutes away, so we'll try to keep this short and sweet. Doctor, the floor is yours."

Doctor Lamb stood up and turned on the display screen with a remote. An image of a very alien-looking creature appeared with a bit of nominal data beside it. The creature was bipedal, but any similarity to a human ended there. It had four long and thin arms, a swan-like neck, thick and sloped skull reminiscent of a hairless mastiff (elongated snout that ended in an almost toothless mouth, slitted nose and large eyes not too different from a human's) and almost no ears to speak of. Its mid-section was ribbed and looked very muscular, like it could easily withstand a solid hit to the gut. Its legs, which were thick and clawed, had short thighs with long calves that also looked very strong and muscular. While showing a lot more of its brown skin than a human would, it was still adorned with clothing that more closely resembled strategically-placed swatches of a shimmery cloth. The patches of cloth had a consistent pattern with smaller bits sewn on to them in certain places, probably signifying rank or position within its organization. I also noticed the conspicuous lack of hair on the creature, but it was impossible tell if hairlessness was intentional or evolutionary.

"The first thing you should know about these people is that they call themselves the Kholain. Like us, there are many different factions and nationalities in their culture, but calling them 'Kholain' is analogous to calling us Humans. Now... how they communicate. As you might imagine, each species develops differently and they are no exception. They are extremely advanced both genetically and mentally and have evolved well past vocal communication. Instead, they communicate in a sort of mix between psychic imagery and broadcast empathy. At its root all forms of communication begin with thoughts and ideas, which makes their particular form of 'speaking' extremely efficient and fairly direct. When they speak to you, it won't come across as a voice in your head or anything like that. Rather, it will come across as ideas which take shape in your own mind, almost as though you'd come up with them on your own. If you want to respond to them, you may do so in the same way that you normally do- they'll understand your thoughts and feelings more than your words. For that reason I would suggest that, if you do engage in conversation of any kind, your responses should be measured and well-thought-out before you make them. They'll appreciate that more than you might expect.

"This race in particular is very peaceful, but don't mistake their peaceful nature for pacifism or weakness- we are, to them, what dogs might be to us. We are a very industrious species and tenacious, but they see us as being very immature and dangerous if left unchecked. There is no need for humor or lying to the Kholain; they don't understand such things in the same way that we do. To them it is the height of hilarity to watch a supernova expand or witness the growing pains of an entire race like ours. Lying is a pointless concept and will be regarded as a null thought.

"They are very long-lived and patient in ways that would make the Chinese green with envy- a single Kholain could literally wait for centuries before rendering a decision on whether to turn right or left at an intersection and will interrogate any passerby to make an informed decision before committing to it. In point of fact, it is extremely unlikely that there is anything that we can offer them, so I would suggest showing humility and gratitude for them even taking notice of us, least of all asking that you four visit with them directly.

"From the few meetings we've had with them, it would appear that their technology is a blend of biological and technological in nature. Unfortunately, they haven't let us get close enough to their technology so that we could learn more about it. All we know, for certain, is that the ship which is currently in orbit around Earth could easily destroy half the planet's population without making a dent in its power reserves. Fortunately, they aren't interested in conquest... at least, not as far as we can tell. Any questions?"

"I have one," Leviathan said as he raised his hand. "Why us? I mean, why do they want to see us?"

Doctor Lamb shook her silver-haired head. "Aside from the obvious fact that your genetic coding now carries a portion of their DNA, we do not know. If there is an ulterior motive, they have not yet explained it."

"They have one. And I'm willing to bet that it's a selfish one," I said bluntly. Everyone looked at me with subdued surprise and interest. "If the Kholain had diplomatic motives they would have approached the world's leaders rather than us. We are, essentially, elite warriors but not world leaders. They want us for a specific reason that probably has nothing to do with Humanity or diplomacy."

Doctor Lamb arched her eyebrows in surprise when I said that. "You seem very certain of that rather prescient conclusion, David. What is your reasoning for it?"

"It's the only one that makes any sense, Doctor," I replied. "Like I said, The Guardians are warriors, pure and simple. Any species in the galaxy would be able to figure that out. The Kholain either see us as a threat, which doesn't feel right, or they will ask our help in something. Either way, I have the feeling that we're about to be recruited to join a fight that isn't ours."

"If so, son," General Hannis cut in, "then I sincerely hope you make it clear that your services don't come without strings attached."

1...56789...20