Across the Pond Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Max brushed the bangs out of my eyes and kissed my forehead. "How fortunate I am, for my heart has been yours from the first time I laid eyes upon you. Now, let's go get some food in you, hmm?" I nodded in agreement and he cupped his hand around mine, leading us out of my closet and back into the real world.

***

X: The Bullet and the Gun.

Soft fingers swept the hair off my shoulder before delivering a slight tickle to the back of my neck. My skin tingled and shivered at the cool contact and soon the digits were replaced by a pair of lips. "You are so beautiful, wife of mine."

"So are you, husband," I said through a smile. Both Max and I were laid on my bed next to each other, holding hands and existing in near silence after a lengthy roll in the hay after we got home from the restaurant. It was comfortable and uninterrupted, and we were in no hurry to do anything else. It was our happy place. I traced his hairline with a finger while he hummed. "That was nice."

"It was, we've been quite rough with each other. Though now that we'll spend every night together we can pace ourselves a bit."

I tilted my mouth to kiss him right underneath his chin. "I gotta say, the thought of having hours of you to myself every night does sound mighty appealing."

"It certainly does." He gave my ass a loving squeeze before I felt him tense. I didn't have to wait long for him to say what was on his mind. "At the risk of starting a row, we haven't yet discussed the matter of your private security."

"Ugh, I'm sick of arguing. With you, my parents, myself. I'm too tired." I flipped over onto my back and stared at the ceiling. "I'm done being mad about the bodyguard thing, just...you win, okay? I'll do what you want."

Not a moment later I felt the bed sink and shift when his body came over mine, an odd mixture of triumph and regret written all over his face. "You know this isn't what I desire for you, correct?"

"Could've fooled me. You got what you wanted."

"I don't take pleasure in the knowledge you feel as if I'm doing this to punish you somehow, but I need you safe and I won't apologize for it."

I frowned at his explanation. "Babe, how much danger do you really think I'm in? He just got out of jail a couple of weeks ago."

A dark mask warped his face at the mention of it. "Think of it this way. You didn't begin working at Antonio's until months after the incident. How did he know where to find you?"

"Shit," I pushed at his chest until he let me up. Then I had to hold my forehead as it spun from the rush of sitting up too quickly. "Is he following me?"

"We have no evidence he is presently; Allen and Rhodes are keeping up with the situation. We've discussed the possibility that he may have someone else to stalk you instead, and your father has refiled the order of protection, but these things take time." He set his hands on my shoulders and massaged the flesh beneath his fingers. "Do you now understand why this has to be?"

I sighed unhappily. "Yeah, I get it Max, but keeping me in hiding is driving me crazy. I can't just sit here and wait for something to possibly happen."

"...I see. Apparently, we're going to row now," he said as a storm cloud passed over his face. "Why are you always so goddamn reckless with your life?"

"Whoa!" I jumped up in my birthday suit and pointed at his face. "First of all, don't start fucking cussing at me."

"I'll do whatever I damn well please when you're being an immature brat -- "

"You controlling motherfucker -- "

So we began yelling at each other - over each other - our voices raising higher in octave while we both gestured furiously.

"I'm doing this for your own good -- "

"I don't need you to do anything for me! I'm a grown ass woman -- "

"Oh, are you?! That comes as a surprise because right now you're acting as an ungrateful child!"

And that started a whole other argument, one that had been coming for a while. The shouting got progressively personal while we both snatched on articles of clothing.

"...and you're not my goddamn father!"

"I might as well be, you don't fucking listen to him either!"

I had gone to the armoire and started pulling out shirts in a fury, trying to get away from him as soon as possible. In the time it took me to find and pull a black tank over my head Max had moved in front of me, firmly holding me by the waist. He was breathing shallowly and his face was red with frustration. "Stop. Alright? Enough of this."

I threaded my arms through the holes before pushing his off me. "You don't get to just dictate when we're done fighting."

"And you aren't allowed to leave in the middle of it." He grabbed for my sides again and that time I didn't stop him. "You have to think about me sometimes, Sydney. Do you know how absolutely devastated I would be if anything were to happen to you? Especially if I were able to prevent it?"

"I get it, Maxwell," I grunted through clenched teeth, "But I can't- "

"You must, because I can't lose you!" He shut his eyes and exhaled evenly before navy eyes opened with raw emotion behind them. He then pressed his forehead to mine, holding my face in his hands, his body swaying slightly like he was dizzy. "I cannot lose you, I don't exist without you. I can't breathe at the thought of you being hurt. Please. Please, stop fighting me on this."

"Okay, okay," I nodded vigorously, my hands wrapping around his wrists to keep them on me. "I'll stop, but for the love of God can you please stop keeping things from me?"

"Yes, I'm sorry." A sweet kiss followed my own apology. "No more secrets?"

"No more secrets." He brought one hand around the back of my neck and drew my face into his, kissing the breath out of my lungs. I curved my body against his, running my hands down the taut muscles of his back, scratching the skin lightly as he moaned. Needy noises filled the room while we tried to get our frustrations out in a more loving way. Buttons were being undone, zippers were being pulled apart and I was just about guided onto my back on the bed again when my phone rang. I twisted my body around him to see who was interrupting dirty time, and when I saw it was my dad I smacked Max's hands away and picked up. "Hello Father."

"My favorite daughter." No doubt I was, but he was being awfully cheery for someone who hadn't even been talking to me a few days ago. "Are you busy this evening?"

"Um, sort of." I looked up at the curious expression on my blond boy's face. "Why, what's up?"

"Carson is home for the weekend and we are having a family dinner. Your mother has requested your presence; and by requested, I mean demanded."

"Maaaan," I complained loudly. "I don't want to go, all she's gonna do is cry and yell at me."

"Yeah, well kiddo, you made your bed. If it'll make you feel better I'll break out the good scotch."

Damnit. I'm a sucker for free food and booze. "Can I bring Max? He flew in today."

"Ugh. Sure. We can kill two birds with one stone. See you at seven." I hung up and turned back to my handsome husband who had his eyebrow raised. I flashed him an innocent smile like we weren't about to walk into the lion's den and get our flesh torn apart like the prey we were.

"Feel like going to a party?"

Chapter 7

I. Wat's Wrong (feat. Zacari & Kendrick Lamar) -- Isaiah Rashad
II. Hello Ego -- Jhene Aiko, Chris Brown
III. Rush Hour -- Ani DiFranco
IV. Tennessee -- Allan Rayman
V. Save Me -- Aimee Man
VI. High High to Low Lows -- Lolo Zouai
VII. Prisma - CFCF
VIII. Start a War -- Margeaux, Young Wolf Hatchlings
IX. Shadows -- Ruth B.
X. The Bullet and the Gun - SiR