After the Interview

Story Info
Why would a faithful wife do such a thing?
16.1k words
3.98
166k
107
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

A followup to and expansion of the very well-written "The Interview" by steelring. It is brief but gripping; please read it first. I have repeatedly, over several weeks, asked steelring for permission to post this followup, through the feedback link on the story itself, and through the contact link on the author's Literotica profile. Having received no reply, I proceed to post.

I am grateful to BlackRandl1958 for the contribution of her peerless editorial skills, and her continuing efforts to bring my use of the King's English out of the days of George V.

I feel no compulsion to ensure that characters in my writing get what they deserve, mostly because I know how much I would hate to get what I deserve. If this is a bar to your enjoyment of a story, you may be better served elsewhere. On the other hand, you might like it. Who am I to say?

*

She sat in her car, trembling all over in her smart grey suit. Her left nipple still tingled, despite the layers of bra, blouse and jacket covering it. Her pussy still throbbed beneath her grey skirt, bereft of its pushed-aside covering, bare and vulnerable between her clenched thighs.

She was recalled to herself when a passerby knocked on her window, asking if she needed help. With a wan smile and a wave, she wordlessly assured him she needed nothing.

She had known the interview would be stressful. She had prepared for it, she thought. She could not have imagined how intense the actual interview would be. The woman seemed to know her backward and forward, for all that they had never met. Those eyes: dark eyes that had undressed her, assessed her, delighting in a conquest she was certain would not escape. Eyes that savored the vision of that conquest offering up the hidden intimacies of her beautiful body, for money. Eyes that could spot a lie at twenty paces. She was glad she had not told any, not really. She hadn't been completely forthcoming, but then neither had the woman.

On the surface, there wasn't much to know about Jillian (Jill) Jones. Normal upbringing, normal schooling, married to an everyday-seeming man named David Jones (not Davy!) at twenty-two, seven years ago; stay-at-home mom to one daughter who had recently started school. The only thing that stood out about Jill to the casual observer was her stunning beauty. There was far more to Jill than that, but she had done her best not to reveal anything unnecessary to her inquisitor.

She hoped her nervousness when she talked about her husband had been attributed to worry that would seem natural, given what she was committing herself to do. Goodness knows that should be sufficient: she had told the truth about only having been with two men in her whole life. Yes, Jill decided, her nervousness could be adequately explained without the truths she left untold.

David had indeed been made redundant. That's what it said in the letter that relieved him of his accounting duties with a major financial firm. The letter lied. David had been fired for blowing the whistle on certain executives who had billed the firm for "consulting services" that were, he accused, sessions with high-class call girls. He had not only been fired but blackballed, and found himself unable to get a job in his field. Since then, he had been trying to cobble together a living from piecework and freelance jobs. In his spare time, he attempted to vindicate himself by tracing the money paid for the "consulting services." He had run into one brick wall after another; one school friend told him that he risked physical harm if he continued his investigations.

"Not sayin' you're not right, David my lad, and yes they did you wrong, but people like this squash people like you an' me like bugs." He'd made a splatting noise to illustrate.

Jill loved David with her whole heart, and with a fierce loyalty that would surprise anyone who did not know the usually-quiet woman well. His vindication was at least as important to her as it was to him. She was part of everything he did, and he was often guided by her perceptions and ideas.

The mother of one of young Deirdre's classmates had buttonholed her quietly after a school function. She'd heard they were having troubles, the woman said.

"We were, too, and," a pause while she made sure they weren't overheard, "here's how we solved them. I solved them, actually." She handed Jill a card, with nothing on it but a printed phone number and a web address.

"What is it, then? Some kind of job?"

"You could say that," the woman smiled and winked. She looked Jill up and down and went on, "With what you've got, you could make enough while Deirdre's in school to kiss your money problems good bye!"

Yes, and kiss my marriage good bye, too, Jill thought, thinking she had got the gist.

"What would I have to do?"

"Just check out the web site and call the number, sweetie. It worked for me!" The woman smiled happily and sauntered away.

Jill had shaken her head, and almost forgotten to mention the incident to David. She had showed him the card, and watched as his face froze. He muttered something and went to his computer. After several minutes' searching, he found what he was looking for. He beckoned to Jill to come and look at the short list of phone numbers on his screen.

"Each of these numbers was dialed by three or more of the executives in the four days before they billed for a 'consulting' session. And look!" He pointed to a number on his screen. It matched the one on Jill's card. Jill squealed and jumped into her husband's lap, waving the card over her head.

"You've done it!" she shouted. "You're brilliant! This is the break we needed. You can take this downtown and let the police do the rest of the work, then you and Gerry sue for wrongful termination, and then you'll be able to work again!"

"We've done it," David put in a mild correction. "We did it together. I never could have solved this if it hadn't been for you."

David's trip downtown had not brought the hoped-for results. Instead, a bored-sounding vice detective had read David a lesson on the facts of life.

"Look, Mr. Jones, I'm not saying you're wrong, but look what we have for evidence. A web site, a phone number, and some guys who called it and then billed for consulting services. We have a woman who you say admitted to prostitution and referred your wife to the web site, but she'll certainly never tell that to us. If you're suggesting your wife wear a wire, skip it: it'd be inadmissible. You have no evidence that sex occurred at all, let alone prostitution. You have evidence that the firm paid the money, but you don't know where it went, and you sure can't prove anything. Sure, I can look up who owns the phone number and the web site, but I can tell you right now they'll both be burners, purchased with credit cards in fake names that have since been canceled. I'll do that for you now, if you want. Any reasonably bright second year law student would tear all this to rags.

"Mr. Jones, these are the big boys. They, and the girls they play with, are well connected and very well protected. For me to even think of going after them, I'd need an ironclad case, and a victim, preferably high profile, which you aren't. Don't get me wrong, I think these people are doing exactly what you say they are, and I would love to nail the bastards. It would make my career. But if I went out hunting with just this, I'd end up exactly where you are: unemployed."

Jill and David had consoled each other until it was time to pick up Deirdre. They were both involved parents, who loved their time with their happy and precocious five-year-old. After she had been read to and tucked in, they consoled each other again, giving their all to each other and receiving more than they gave, in the ancient dance that is forever new.

David hadn't been exactly buoyant the next morning, but had gamely headed out. He would talk with some professional friends who owed him favors, he said, and see if he could trace the money past a roadblock or two. He put on a brave front for Jill, but she could see how downhearted he was. He was out the next couple of evenings doing freelance work for a little mom-and-pop store that found itself in tax troubles. He enjoyed the work, and was able to help them save their store, but it didn't do much to help their increasing financial stress.

Jill was cleaning up and found the card with the web site and phone number. Hmmm, she had thought.

"No. Absolutely not. Never!" had been David's unequivocal reply. "I know we're in trouble, but I'd dig ditches first. I'd die in an accident to give you the life insurance before I agreed to that."

"I'm not talking about dying..."

"No, you're talking about killing something that's more valuable to me than my life is. Could you ever look at me the same way after you did this? Could I look at you the same way?"

"David, I would never do this for money. I'd rather starve, as long as it's with you. I'd school Deirdre at home, I'd take in washing, I'd live in a dump, whatever I had to, to be with you. I know you've been discouraged; I've heard you when you put Deirdre to bed, and after she's asleep you apologize to her for not being able to give her what we both want for her. It breaks my heart. I don't care about the money, but I would do this, and more besides, to vindicate you. To give you back the life and work you love, that were robbed from you.

"This is the only way we can trace the money from the receiving end. We have to at least consider it."

They had talked it over for the next few evenings. David worked harder than ever at finding a job and at his investigation, but had nothing to show for it. That was probably why, eventually, he had weakened. They had planned for Jill to take the interview, see if she could get an offer, then they would go to the vice squad. She might have to go to one appointment, they reasoned, but she would stop short of having sex.

As she sat in her car, Jill was afraid their plan had sprung a leak or three. She had seen a "muscle" type guy in the office that afternoon, obviously to be sure she came alone. There would also clearly be "protection" the next morning when... she didn't complete the thought. Its being the next morning did not give them much time. She suspected that was intentional. She sighed and set off for her home to tell David everything. They had never kept secrets from one another; this difficult season was no time to start. She was sure her new employer would be annoyed, if she knew. David wouldn't like it much, either.

David and Deirdre greeted Jill warmly as always when she entered their home. She whispered, "I have the job. We'll talk later" in her husband's ear. His face sagged for a moment, just the smallest fraction of a second, but she noticed, and it was like a stab to her heart. She clung to him that evening, and who will blame her? She felt she had to be in physical contact with him while they ate the supper he prepared, while they did the dishes, while they read to Deirdre and put her to bed. They made tea, and sat together on the aptly-named love seat in the living room.

Jill told David everything in the order it happened. Her calm, almost emotionless voice was at odds with the tale she told, but it helped her and David retain some objectivity. She was precise and complete, right down to how many buttons on her blouse were unbuttoned, which hand the woman had used, and how many fingers had penetrated her. She finished, and heaved a huge sigh. She had watched the emotions play across her husband's face, but he had controlled himself well. They had both agreed she would do this; she knew she could count on him for his usual levelheaded analysis, despite his obvious hurt. She had never needed his calmness and strength more.

"Did the office look like it had been there for a while? Other employees, pictures on the desks, stuff in the waste baskets?" was his first question.

"I didn't think of the waste baskets, sorry, but you're right, it looked very temporary."

"So she just borrowed it, then. Was there anyone else there besides the woman?"

"Yes, this big guy who showed me in and out. He wasn't in the room for the interview. He looked like a bouncer, but a high-class one. He's there for protection, I'm sure, and to make sure I came alone."

David remembered what the vice detective had told him about protection. "This woman. What's she like?"

"She's tall, I'd guess about five nine or ten. Lean, muscular-looking, but also ... voluptuous, I guess I'd say. A figure guys would drool over. Dark hair in a tight businesslike bun; very dark eyes. They look like they can see right through you." Jill shuddered again at the memory. "She's very much in control. You just feel as if everything you could think of to ask or say or do, she's thought of already and is three steps ahead of you. She knows her way around a woman's body very well, and I suspect a man's, too."

"Has she done... this, or does she just supervise?"

"She's done it, I'm positive. She may still, from time to time. I asked her and she said I shouldn't ask, but the way she looked at the picture on her desk before she answered, I know she's done it."

"Picture?"

"Yes, her, with a man and two kids. Hers, I'm sure of it."

"Do you think her husband knows?"

"I'm almost positive, no."

"When she touched you, ... did you, was she just checking you out, or do you think there was more to it?"

"Yes, I think there was more. The way she was undressing me with her eyes bothered me at first, but I got used to it. I think she did that to see how I would react when the ... clients ... looked at me like that. Also, I think, she wanted me to feel like, I don't know, goods. Stuff, you know, to be bought and sold."

She saw David blink rapidly to clear his eyes, but persevered.

"I think the, well, what she did to my nipple and pussy, was a sort of a claiming. She wanted to arouse me, to test my arousal, that is, and she did, but I think she was also claiming my body and my responses, for her business. They weren't mine any more, nor yours, but hers. To sell."

Tears were running down David's cheeks. The idea that anyone could think of Jill, his lovely Jill, as goods for sale angered and repulsed him. The reason she had put herself in this position grieved him. He was sure he wouldn't want to know the answer, but he had to ask regardless. "Did... did you enjoy it?"

Jill had known this question would come, but that didn't make it any easier. Still, she couldn't lie to him, or hide the truth. Especially now. "Yes, David, I did. I almost came for her; if she'd fingered me for another ten seconds, I would have, and she knew it. David, you know how responsive I am, and I told you, she's very knowing. Yes, she could get me off any time she chose. She could probably get you off, too, even though I know you must hate her. I know it hurts you to hear this, and it hurts you that I did it. It hurts me, too. You know me, you can see it does. Please, dear David, be strong for me. I love you so."

They held each other close for several minutes as their tears fell.

"I shall have to go through with it tomorrow," Jill's voice was hollow. "Completely."

"No!" It was a cry of anguish.

"Tomorrow is a tryout. It has to be. She wouldn't send me to a real client without knowing how I would do. She's too careful for that. She'll have her security there to make sure I come alone, and the man testing me will know how to look for a wire, even if we could get hold of one. If it's a test, I may not even get paid, so I'll have to do at least this and probably one more to start a trail on the money."

"What if you just don't show up? Surely she's had women get cold feet before."

"I had to tell her my real name and where I live, to get paid. I would be afraid to cross her. She knows more about us than we do about her. We can't back down now. David, I don't want to do this, it's going to be the hardest thing I've ever done. I will do it, and I will give you the other end of that money pipeline, because I love you so much."

There didn't seem to be anything more to say after that. They clung to each other as they went to their bedroom. The die was cast. Each was terribly aware that the next morning, Jill would allow another man the complete intimacy of her beautiful body, in return for money. And, they hoped, information.

"David, we've gotten in over our heads, haven't we?"

"It looks that way. I'm sorry, Jill."

"It was my idea; I talked you into it. It's not your fault."

"We decided together. We'll have to stay together on this, or we won't survive. No fault, no blaming."

A pause.

"I'm afraid." Her voice shivered.

"I am, too."

"What are you afraid of?"

"Even if this goes perfectly, we'll never be the same after tomorrow. Never." She heard the tears in his voice, and in her own as she replied.

"I know. But is there... if we love each other, is there maybe a way for us to be better? Will you try with me, please?"

"With everything I have, Jill. I promise. I just hope it will be enough."

Silence fell.

"Hold me, David. Please, hold me." He did, as they cried themselves to sleep.

David always enjoyed watching his beautiful wife dress up, and she enjoyed his watching at least as much. That morning, she dressed with as much care as if they were going out, but neither of them enjoyed it. The man who would take those clothes off her, or watch her take them off, was almost a palpable presence in the bedroom.

"No panties?" David asked, his voice a despairing croak.

"She said." Her voice as dry as his.

"Where do you meet?"

She handed him the little card that she had been given the day before.

"Her writing?"

She nodded.

"Good." She looked a question at him.

"If we ever catch her, her own handwriting will help take her down." They shared a grim smile. It wasn't much, but it was their first smile of the day. David carefully set the card on a dark, neutral background, and took some close-up pictures with his phone. He handed her back the card, and went to their computer to upload the pictures.

It was time to leave: him, to take Deirdre to school; her, to become a whore. There were no words as they clung desperately to each other, as though they were parting forever.

Deirdre had not been her usual irrepressible self that morning. When she had her Dad alone, she asked, "What's wrong, Daddy? You and Mom are both sad today."

David tried his best to smile. "Sometimes grownups just get sad, sweetheart. They're not made out of sunshine like you."

Deirdre was unusually thoughtful. "Daddy, if something was wrong, I mean really wrong, would you tell me?"

David was too stunned to answer. He remembered reading in some parenting book or other, "At five, the child is often very sensitive to the relationships in his or her environment, especially between the parents. This is especially true of girls, and of oldest or only children." Guess they got that one right.

"I know I'm only five, but I wish I could help," his little girl said sadly.

"Thank you, sweetheart." He reached back and took her tiny hand in his. This is about more than Jill and me, he realized suddenly. We may be in over our heads, but we must finish this, and survive. One way or another.

Usually, Deirdre was out of the car the moment she was unbuckled, waving a quick good bye and running to join her friends. Today, she lifted her arms to David for a hug. "Remember, Daddy, I love you," she said, and she was gone. The tears David had been holding in would no longer be denied.

The hotel elevator silently and steadily bore her upward to the fifth floor. The large man in a dark suit, standing at the end of the hall, was equally silent. Her black pumps made no sound as they sank into the lush carpet. She checked the room number on the card one more time, and nervously knocked on the door. It sounded horribly loud in the charged silence, like the sound of her doom. Maybe no one would answer? The door opened, and her last faint hope vanished. He wasn't bad looking, about 50, she guessed; his dark hair was graying and thinning on top. He had a nice smile. He wore a shirt and tie; she could see his suit jacket draped carelessly across a chair, as he took her hand and led her into the room. He spoke kindly to her, knowing she would be new, soothing her.

"May I take your jacket?" He smoothly stepped behind her and released the grey suit jacket from her shoulders. He slid it down her arms and off, and hung it neatly in the open closet, as she stood awkwardly clutching her purse.