Air Possum

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
qhml1
qhml1
8,993 Followers

"You're admittedly marketing towards rednecks. Do you really think a black couple is a good choice?"

I laughed.

"You've never met a black redneck? Racing is racing, and everybody loves a winner. You're perfect, the wife of a race car driver and a plus size woman, the market we target."

We sent her several pair of jeans and a dozen shirts and caps. She called back the next week.

"I'm sold. They fit great, they're American made, and they're good quality. What do you want me to do?"

She and Alice, the woman from school and our original model, became our spokesmodels.

Will took a few cases of the shirts and hats with him to the track, and after his crew was taken care of he gave the rest away to other drivers and friends. He launched our 'long tail' line, appearing in print ads in racing magazines, with his wife most of the time. Alice did mostly farm magazines and stuff like Good Housekeeping, often with Mary, Will's wife.

Sales dropped slightly when we went all American and raised the price two dollars a shirt. I went on the internet, on youtube and our website, and explained why the price went up. We showed group photos of all our plants, then I apologized for the price increase, explaining why. I said something that became a catch phrase for a lot of people.

"How much is your country worth to you?"

Sales picked back up and kept growing.

The little stuffed possums became really hot. I got Amy, Will, Mary, Alice, and Debbie to accompany us down to the 'Animal Factory', as it got dubbed.

Will had CDLs, and we rented a little ten wheeler and stuffed it with possums. We went to the sewing factory and the cloth factory, and gave each employee an animal. The we went back, loaded up again, and made trips to local hospitals, giving each sick child one. It went over so well we had two truckloads delivered and had volunteers from our factories deliver them to all the hospitals in their area.

We usually kept a low profile, but ESPN was doing segments on up and coming stars, and they caught up to him as he was handing out the animals and signing autographs at a hospital. They dubbed him the "Possum Fairy", a nickname the other drivers teased him unmercifully over. He even had one of them sitting on his dash. People got to see it every time the dash cam was used.

You wouldn't believe how expensive even a partial sponsorship in the Busch Series is. It took us a long time to decide to do it, but the rewards were tremendous. The possum really did get painted on his hood. It gave him a tremendous fan base among children, and he always had a box or two of the stuffed animals around to give out his fans, young and old alike.

The stuffed animals became a fad, and the little factory couldn't keep up, so we bought more machines and doubled production.

Our company was outgrowing us again, and I was back to sixteen hour days, no social life to speak off, and a lot of stress. It came to a head when I collapsed after a week of less than four hours sleep a night.

My doctor gave me hell.

"You need to exercise and relax. What good does being rich do you if you're dead? I got some words I want you to integrate into your vocabulary. Exercise. Relaxation. Delegation. You're working your way up to a heart attack or stroke if you keep going."

The boys, Debbie, and Jerry's girlfriend Maria were in the room with me later, while Ralph, Barry, and Amy were waiting to get in.

I had a feeling Maria was prime daughter in law material, and about all Jerry could get out while she was around was "Yes dear". I loved it.

Debbie and Maria raked me over the coals. Debbie told me I needed to live at least long enough to meet my grandson, due in six and a half months. Maria whispered in my ear that he wouldn't be the only new arrival in the next seven months. She held up her hand, showing me the ring.

"You got a lot to live for, old man."

They talked it over and decided what I needed was a woman, more specifically a wife.

"Someone who'll keep you alive long enough to nag you to death." was how they put it.

Amy was peeking in by then, so they left the room. Ralph and Barry gave me hell about laying down on the job, and told me in no uncertain terms I was allowed to work half days, after two weeks off, for the indefinite future.

What really surprised me was the way Amy acted, crying all over me.

"You're an asshole. Think about how many people depend on you. It was all I could do to keep the management of the shirt plant from coming up here. I had to stop most of the locals from flooding the waiting rooms. Mavis is out there and refuses to go home until she sees you. You have no idea what you mean to these people."

If she wanted to shame me she succeeded. Mavis hugged me so hard I almost lost my breath, crying like a baby. I had to swear on the lives of my grandchildren present and to come that I would take care of myself.

Amy put a note from me on all the bulletin boards asking them not to send anymore flowers, the room was full and I was sending the overflow to the childrens' ward.

They kept me three days. I went by the office after I got discharged and production stopped instantly. I don't think I've ever been hugged so much. Not surprising, eighty per cent of our workforce was female.

Amy decided I wasn't smart or capable enough to take care of myself, and she and Mavis worked out a schedule. I would work until lunchtime at the office, and go home to rest and relax. Mavis would pop in every hour or so, to make sure I wasn't working. Amy got into the habit of eating lunch with me, as she put it, "to make sure you actually eat something healthy". My Double Whopper addiction was well documented. I could sneak one in every week or so, if they weren't watching too closely.

I came to enjoy the lunches tremendously. Sometimes we would eat with the women in our experimental shop, but most times we were alone at the kitchen table. I actually started enjoying salads.

Despite working together all this time, we never really got to know each other, we were always too busy. I told her about my marriages, and how they both collapsed due to cheating. I was surprised at her response.

"I despise cheaters with a passion! I was married before, thankfully just once. I still remember how devastated I was the first time I caught him. When I caught him the second time, he was history. I cried for days anyway. It didn't seem to upset him that much. My cousin told me his third marriage just ended, due to his cheating again. I'm glad to be rid of him."

She had divorced him six years ago. I asked if she had anyone now and she laughed.

"I don't have time for a relationship. My boss is a slave driver. If he didn't pay me so much money I would have left a long time ago."

She said it with a grin, letting me know she was kidding.

"How come you don't have a relationship?"

I gave it back to her.

"I don't have time. Somebody has to crack the whip, or the slaves revolt."

She was laughing now.

"Besides", I said, "I'm getting picky in my age. I often thought I would never marry again, but lately I've been rethinking it. Just because I failed the first two times, doesn't mean there aren't still good women out there. The law of averages say I eventually have to get it right."

The look in her eyes changed. Before I could figure it out she changed the subject.

"Gail is making noise about moving the jean shop to China again. I think she's trying to take advantage of your diminished presence. She spends a lot more time at the main office, and I know she has lunch with Barry once a week. There's not really much she can do because of being a minority owner. She's engaged now, I don't think much of him."

I grunted.

"Why would she want to move? Is the money really that important? She has to be worth a few million now."

"She feels frustrated, Zach. Remember, she wanted to be a fashion designer, but for the last few years she had to be a business owner, and that came first. Plus, she has always held a bit of resentment towards you for not going fifty fifty when you set up the business."

I was surprised.

"When I had Barry help me set up the business structure, Barry suggested only twenty five percent. I came up with the concept, the name of the company, all the money. She helped, but a lot of the groundwork was done by me. I was generous giving her thirty five per cent. Part of the deal was she handle designs, something she hasn't done much of. Maybe it's time to part ways."

Amy looked surprised. Gail was her niece, after all.

"I don't think that's a good idea. She needs your guidance. To be honest, I don't think she would do nearly as well on her own."

I grunted.

"Just talking. But take her this message. No company of mine is going to China or anywhere else. We're making good money. Three hundred Americans directly depend on us for their livelihood. That doesn't even account for jobs of suppliers that we use."

"I'll tell her. But if she pushes it, you need to do what's best for the company. I trust you to do the right thing."

She was holding my hand by then. I was surprised how good it felt. She realized what she was doing and released her grip, sliding back a bit.

...........................................

We promoted Jerry to help handle day to day operations. Ralph took over some of my duties. Since I was on half days and couldn't keep Debbie busy, she became his assistant.

I knew something was off when Greg called and told me he wanted me to come by for lunch Sunday. Maria and Debbie were both getting heavy. Debbie was seven and a half months along, Maria five and a half. The Bivens clan was really starting to expand. Maria had, of course, come to work with us. She was invaluable with our Hispanic workers. She was floor manager in charge of twenty five workers. Her production was always higher than the other three sections, a source of great pride to her.

It was a solemn meal. I held out for as long as I could.

"All right, what the hell has got you guys looking like somebody ran over your dog? Somebody better start talking."

The girls got up and left, leaving me with the boys.

They hemmed and hawed before finally coming out with what was on their mind.

"Dad, Mom is in bad shape. She got downsized, and caught her new husband cheating. She's a wreck, broke, her house is in foreclosure. Can we help her?"

I eyed them, not liking what I was thinking.

"Define help."

Greg took the lead.

"Jerry and I found her a nice little apartment in a good building. We'll pay for the first year, including utilities. Jerry is putting her on his phone plan."

He paused for a breath and Jerry jumped in.

"She needs a job, Dad. Something to occupy her and give her some money. She needs to be able to stand on her own in a year."

I really didn't like where this was going.

"I suppose you boys got a plan for her being gainfully employed. Spit it out."

"Gail needs a new assistant. Her old one quit the other day, didn't say why. Refused an exit interview with Amy. Everybody knows what a bitch Gail can be. We figure with her being your exwife and our mother, she'll be a little more polite. It works out well for all of us. Plus, she'll be in the jean factory most of the time, you'll never see her except maybe for weekly staff meetings. It would mean a lot to us."

This sucked. I was over her, hell, I'd gotten married and divorced again since I had been with her, but I still didn't need old wounds opened. Still, she was their mother, and she did need help. They were literally holding their breath.

"All right, I'll go along with the deal. As long as I don't have to spend a lot of time around her. Make sure she understands that."

They were both smiling.

"You got it, Pop. You won't even know she's here."

We'd see.

The girls came in and hugged me.

"We knew you would go along. You're a good man, papacita." Maria was smiling that thousand watt smile. It was easy to see why Jerry loved her so much.

Debbie whispered in my ear.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you. At one point they wanted to move her in with us. We both know how that would end."

Debbie didn't like Rosalind much, never had. Never bothered to hide it. It made me love her more.

.................................................

I told Amy about it at lunch Tuesday. She didn't seem pleased.

"Are you sure about this? I don't think you need anymore stress in your life right now."

"I'll make the best of it. She is the mother of my children, after all. I'll still have to put up with her. Besides, I gave her to Gail. It's not like she's on the gravy train. She'll earn every dime she gets."

Amy actually laughed.

"Gail didn't take it very well. It took all my HR skills to get her to listen to reason. But I talked to her yesterday, and she had settled down a bit."

Rosalind arrived the next week, and immediately started complaining. Her apartment was too small. She didn't like the commute, it was too long. And she didn't like Gail. Other than that, things were perfect.

Greg and Jerry had a little talk with her.

"We're doing the best we can here, Mom. If you don't like the apartment, move. Just know, if you do you have to pay your own rent. Gail can be abrasive we know, but we're hoping you'll be a good influence on her. But if it bothers you too much, find another job. We'll help you look."

That shut her up. She knew she wouldn't find another job that paid as well, and the thought of paying her own living expenses didn't sit well.

I saw her for the first time two weeks later at our weekly meeting. She had put on a few pounds, her hair was shorter and a different color, but she still had those killer blue eyes. She spoke first.

"Zach. How are you?"

"Oh, I'm just fine, Ros. How have you been?"

I saw her eyes tighten, she had never liked me calling her Ros. She took two deep breaths to relax.

"I've seen better days. Thank you for your help. I appreciate it, and I know the boys do. So, how do you like being a rich business owner? Quite a bit different from what we envisioned all those years ago. Then again, I didn't expect to have a crowd of grandkids, either. I can't wait to see our grandsons."

I actually smiled. Maybe she'd changed. Before I could answer Amy came over and put her hand on my arm. Something went on between them, some mental catfight men couldn't understand. I wasn't sure I wanted to.

"Time to start the meeting, Zack. Don't let it run too long, I want to try that new Mexican place on fifth for lunch. Rosalind."

She said it like a dismissal and I saw Rosalind tense up. I tried to diffuse the situation.

"She's right, time to get down to business. I'll talk to you Sunday, over lunch at Jerrys' house."

When I said that Amy gripped my arm a lot tighter. I don't think she realized it.

Now, being a man, I'm of course clueless when it comes to women, but experience had taught me a little. Was Amy jealous? Why would she be? Definitely food for thought.

She caught me looking at her a few times over lunch.

"What? Do I have food on my blouse?"

"No, I have a few questions, mostly non business. We still contribute to the Giles Center, don't we? If we do, can you get me two tickets to see Jersey Boys? I've always wanted to see it, and this is supposed to be the best touring company in America."

She thought for a minute.

"I'm sure I could arrange something."

"Great! Now for a business question. If I take, say, an employee as a date, what kind of trouble could I get in?"

She stopped eating and stared at me, with a sad expression on her face.

"I wouldn't advise it. If you have a relationship with an employee and it ends badly, you could open yourself up to all kinds of litigation. Don't fish in the company pond, Zach."

I tried my best to look sad.

"Too bad. I was really hoping you'd go with me. I know how much you enjoy musicals. Never mind then."

She actually choked on her tea. When she recovered she saw me grinning.

"Asshole. Here's what's going to happen. You will pick me up at six, and we're going to a really nice restaurant, that I will pick. Then, strictly as two officers of a corporation that helps fund the Center, we will attend the performance, just to show our support. This will be a public relations function for your business, and will in no way be considered a date. Do you understand?"

"So I take it that's a yes?"

"Of course. Now eat your lunch, and if you touch that salt shaker it'll be hard to applaud Friday with a broken hand."

I sent her flowers Friday morning. The card read 'in appreciation of a loyal employee'. Strictly business, of course.

Debbie got wind of the flowers and was in my office within forty five minutes.

"So, Amy? Flowers? You romantic dog."

I tried to brush it off.

"Just a gesture of appreciation, don't make a big deal of it."

She was about to say something when Maria came charging into the office. She looked at Deb.

"True?"

She nodded. Then she turned to me grinning.

"Well Pop, just thought I'd tell you. Don't try to get hold of her, she took a half day of vacation. So did I. So did Maria. We're all going for a spa treatment, followed by a little shopping. You better appreciate this."

I held up my hands.

"Now just a minute, this is getting..."

Maria cut me off.

"Give it up, Pop. I shouldn't tell you this, but she's been hot for you for about a year. She nearly collapsed herself when you got sick. Men really are clueless. And I've seen you look at her when she's not looking. You want her just as bad."

Debbie jumped back in.

"Don't you dare screw this up. If you do, lunch will be served very cold Sunday. Whether you know it or not, you need her, and she needs you. We could use a new mother in law. The one we got now is not that great."

I gave up.

"Anything else I need to know?"

Maria looked at her watch.

"Yeah. Greg and Jerry will be by in about twenty minutes to take you shopping. When was the last time you got a new suit? Give it your A game Pop, you'll like the results. And I know you plan to drive your truck. Big no no. The limo will pick you up at six. Good thing you're rich, this 'non date' is going to cost you a bundle. You're welcome. Damn, parents are so hard to raise, aren't they Deb?"

She was trying to hold the laughter in.

"Yes, but they're so cute at that age, aren't they?"

Greg and Jerry caught the last of the conversation and my office rang with laughter from everyone but me. I just glowed.

"Give it up, Pop, make life easy on all of us. Now let's get you a new suit, on that actually looks like it came from this decade."

..............................................

I sat in the back of the limo, feeling like a fifteen year old being driven by his mom to his first date. I was way out of practice. Normally a pretty self possessed person, I was all to hell.

I had never been to her house, and admired the groomed lawn and carefully placed flowers beds. It looked like her. Neat. Attractive. Well presented. Beautiful.

When she opened the door I knew I should have said something, but all I could do was gawk. The perfect little black dress, conservative and sexy at the same time. Knee length, it molded to her curves, letting you know there was a woman, a very well shaped woman, underneath it.

Her hair was perfect, upswept into a semi bun, again understated but sexy.

She let me squirm for a couple of minutes before blushing.

"For God's sake, Zach. Say something."

Knowing honesty was the best policy, I finally managed to blurt "You're so beautiful!"

She flushed deeply, then giggled.

"Thank you. I'm glad to know the efforts of your daughters in law weren't in vain. I feel like I'm a princess."

I finally recovered.

"They just got upgraded in the will. I'll say it again, you're beautiful. Come princess, your carriage awaits."

qhml1
qhml1
8,993 Followers