All in Good Time

Story Info
He became invisible. She didn't care.
3k words
95.9k
100
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
PAPATOAD
PAPATOAD
3,374 Followers

There is no sex in this story.

It was an older church. The foundation was limestone blocks, but the structure itself was common old red brick. It had the required amount of stained glass windows and the large impressive double doors in the front. The attached buildings, however, were newer. As the neighborhood deteriorated, the church was able to pick up the vacant lots and expand. The homeless center and 'soup kitchen' were welcomed, in the Fishtown neighborhood.

Father Doyle ran a tight ship and was able to keep everything running, even in hard times. Parking was a problem in this part of the city, but there were enough people within walking distance to keep things afloat. Now, young professional people were moving into the neighborhood, and the houses that were left became desirable. Some of the newcomers were even interested in the church services.

oooOOOooo

"Good Morning, Daniel!" A tall, middle-aged man mopping the floor paused and looked up.

"It's a good day, Father, and good morning to you also."

"Do you have any plans for your birthday? I still think you should take the day off as I suggested."

"I am sort of. The ladies in the auxiliary are going to trim my beard. This afternoon, Miss Stella, in the thrift store is going to fit me up with a fancy sports coat that came in last week. She saved it just for me. It will be my first night out in almost eight years."

"Where have you decided to go?"

"I think I am going to try the Sheraton. I have enough money saved up to get just about anything that I want off of the menu. It is classy and a bit fancy. Since I am walking, I am going to treat myself to a nice glass of red wine. I intend to enjoy the evening. You only get to be fifty once."

"Do you have enough money?"

"I am good, father. Save it for someone that needs it."

They both had a quiet laugh and continued with what they were doing.

Daniel Brown lived in a small room in the basement of the Saint Vincent's Church for the last eight years. In exchange for room and board, Daniel kept all of the buildings clean and presentable. He took care of all the minor maintenance problems and coordinated any outside work when it was required. He also did some work for some of the poorer parishioners for token payments. Most of them were too proud to accept the help for free, but he didn't do it for the money. The church cafeteria provided him with all his meals.

One of the fringe benefits of working in Saint Vincent's was the free clothing available. Daniel didn't abuse the system, but the ladies in the auxiliary always put aside any new items that they thought would fit him. Normally, he was only interested in work clothes. For his birthday they had a nice corduroy jacket and pair of khaki pants. The brown wingtip shoes were a little over the top, but they were like new and fit perfectly. He planned on returning the jacket and shoes the next day but decided to keep the pants.

The grooming was another thing. Daniel felt like he was under attack. He got a shampoo, haircut, and beard trimming. He never had a beard until he came to Saint Vincent's. Now he couldn't imagine himself without it. They finished the onslaught with a manicure, his first-ever.

It was a fair walk to the Sheraton. One thing that became quickly apparent was that expensive wingtip shoes were not good for walking. He wouldn't make that mistake again. The restaurant was a bit fancy, but they did have a full menu posted outside of the entrance. The prices were a little higher than he had hoped for, but he brought enough money with him to cover just about anything that he decided on. There was no rush, so he took his time.

"Excuse me! Are you dining alone, or are you waiting for someone?" She was well dressed, well-groomed, and probably lost. It took a second for Daniel to realize that she was addressing him.

"I am sorry! What was that again?"

"My name is Marsha Nelson." she held out her hand, which Daniel politely took. "I am here to attend the Community Awards Ceremony in the Empire Room, and I desperately need an escort. I responded as a plus one, and I don't have a plus one. The meal is already paid for, so all you have to do is sit with me and listen to a few boring speeches. I would appreciate it."

"No strings attached?"

"No."

"What else do I have to do?"

"Just act pleasant and congenial and try and appear like we are a couple. It would help if you could look as if you were enjoying yourself."

Daniel gave one last longing look at the restaurant menu, turned, and sighed. "Okay! I guess I can do that. My name is Daniel. Daniel Brown."

Marsha Nelson took his arm, and they walked toward the Empire room. "Thank you."

The evening did not go as expected. He never mentioned to Marsha that it was his birthday. He recognized several people that were attending because they were regular attendees at Saint Vincent's. No one had a clue who he was. He mingled, and he chatted. Marsha was very happy.

He felt normal for the first time in nearly eight years. It was a pleasant feeling. The meal wasn't what he anticipated, but it was free, and the company made it a lot better. He missed female companionship.

Marsha gave him a ride back to the church. She did not question the obvious odd location. At last, he got to take off the horrible wingtip shoes. They would go back in the morning, and he would not make that mistake again. Daniel Brown slept well that night.

oOoOO oOoOO

Daniel was halfway through wiping down the pews when Father Doyle showed up.

"And how was your Birthday celebration, Daniel?"

"Very good, but not what I expected."

"You didn't get the lobster?"

"No! I ended up with sea bass. It was very good, but not lobster."

"How did that happen?"

"A very nice lady, by the name of Marsha Nelson, invited me to join her at an Awards Ceremony. It was a lot of fun, and the meal was free."

"Was that Marsha Nelson, the attorney?"

"I have no idea. She said that she ran a small advocate office downtown. I don't even know what that is."

"Daniel, she runs a legal clinic for low-income and homeless people. She is quite the big deal in the local community. You spent the evening with a very prominent lady."

"She seemed sort of normal to me. Anyway, I enjoyed myself, and I enjoyed her company."

"Are you going to see her again?"

"I don't think so. I don't know why she would want to."

oOoOO oOoOO

Two weeks later, Marsha Nelson was back. She needed an escort to a local charity auction. Rather than ask me, she asked Father Doyle if I was available. He thought that was quite humorous and continued to rib me about it for several weeks. She seemed a bit embarrassed when he told her about my situation. We ate supper at a small local restaurant before the event, and she insisted that I explain things to her.

"About eight years ago, I was living in West Chester with my wife, Caroline. Our daughter, Claire, had left for college the week before. We were just starting our life as empty-nesters, or so I thought."

"Was Claire your only child?"

"Yes. Caroline had been working the last ten years for a small company, called Bixler Enterprises, that made surgical tools. I had been with Perspective National Insurance as an actuary for the last twenty years. Between us, we were comfortable and content."

"That was eight years ago? Are you still married?"

"I honestly don't know. Maybe! I hope not, but as I said, I don't know."

"So, what happened?"

"It was pretty simple actually. One Friday night, I came home from work, and Caroline informed me that she was going to spend the weekend in the Pocono's with her boss, Carl Bixler. There was no discussion, no explanation, nothing. I didn't ask, and she didn't volunteer."

"Was this an ongoing thing?"

"I have no idea. All I know is that he is married, with two children, and he is at least fifteen years older than Caroline. I wasn't mad, just confused. I sat quietly, and ten minutes later, she was gone."

"That's it?"

"Well, sort of. The next day I took care of a few personal matters and then left. A week later, I was working for Father Doyle at Saint Vincent's."

You took nothing with you?"

"Not really. Are you ready to go to the auction now?"

"I guess, but I would rather you gave me a better explanation. Maybe later. Okay?"

"Okay."

The auction was fun. It consisted mainly of local arts and crafts with a few antiques and gift cards from local merchants. Marsha bid on a painting done by a local artist. I thought it was a bit amateurish, but she said it would go well in her office. I guess it was a community support expression.

Before dropping me off at the church, Marsha had one more question. "Did you contact your daughter since you left?"

"I called Claire the next day. After I explained everything to her, she told me that I was overreacting. I didn't argue with her, but I have also not spoken with her since."

Marsha didn't say anything. She thanked me for going with her, and I thanked her for inviting me. I think I should have bid on something at the auction. Maybe next time.

OoooOOOOoooo

I had to put up with a bit of teasing from Father Doyle for the next few weeks. There was also a bit of ribbing from the ladies in the thrift store and the dining room. It was all in good fun, and I took it as such.

And then Marsha returned.

"Daniel! I need another favor. I have a convention I have to attend next week. It is in King of Prussia, and we will have to stay overnight. Would that be a problem for you?"

"How do you mean?"

"Would sharing a room be comfortable for you. Or would you rather have your own.?"

"That all depends."

"On what?"

"Are you planning on taking advantage of me?"

"Would that bother you?"

I didn't answer, but I did get a big grin on my face. She understood.

Father Doyle had overheard the conversation and was laughing after Marsha left.

The affair in King of Prussia was considerably larger than the previous ones. It was statewide. Marsha and I mingled for about an hour. She mingled, and I just followed along and nodded my head at the appropriate times. I was getting pretty good at it, and I enjoyed it. And then things changed.

"Marsha! Marsha Nelson! Good to see you. It has been too long." I grimaced when I heard his voice. It was my lawyer and good friend Seymour. It has been over eight years since I had any contact with him. I was thankful that he did not seem to recognize me.

"Seymour Schlamp! You look the same as you did back in college. You have not changed a bit. How have you been?"

"Still fat, dumb, and happy. Yourself?"

"Skinny, smart, but not depressed." It was an in-joke, and they both laughed.

"Seymour, this is my friend Daniel. He is my escort for the evening." Seymour looked at me for the first time and started to smile. All of a sudden, he grabbed me in a big bear hug and started to shake me. "Danny! Danny boy. I didn't recognize you with that beard. You look, great buddy." My cover was blown.

"You two know each other?"

"Sure do! Danny and I went to grade school together. We were best buds for years; until he did a runner. Now it's a bit more professional."

"What does that mean?"

I put my hand on Marsha's and sighed. "Seymour is my estate guardian." That got me a confused look from Marsha and a grin from my buddy Seymour.

It was a little awkward for a moment, and then Seymour jumped in again. "Daniel, I need to see you so we can get a few things straightened out. I know you said you wanted your privacy, but the time has come and passed to rectify your account. Can you come to see me tomorrow?"

I looked over at Marsha for some type of support that I knew she would not be able to give me. "Where?" I asked.

"My office in Reading. All the papers and documents are there. We need to do this."

"Marsha! Can we drive over to Reading tomorrow?"

"Absolutely! I wouldn't miss this for the world. I love mysteries, and this is a doozy. I want to know everything, and Seymour is going to tell all. Aren't you?"

"For you, Marsha, anything. I'll see you both tomorrow, bright and early."

Seymour shook my hand and gave me another hug. "By the way, Danny, you have been a single man for over three years now. I'll explain it all tomorrow."

As Seymour walked away, Marsha gave me a mock, fierce look. "You have just five minutes to give me the condensed Readers Digest version of what is going on."

"When I told you about what happened when I left my wife, I mentioned that I took care of things. Well, Seymour took care of things for me. Normally when someone becomes an Estate Guardian, it requires a judge's approval, but not always. Since I was healthy and mentally competent, Seymour was able to legally set it up without judicial approval. I did sign a bunch of different 'powers of attorney forms as well as a whole slew of other legal documents. I trusted Seymour."

"Why?"

"I had to get away for a while, and I wanted to be isolated from Caroline. I also wanted to protect what little assets that I had."

"Assets?"

"I had some shares of stock, in my name, and a couple of mutual funds that I had started before I got married. I figured that since Bixler was a wealthy man, Caroline wouldn't be too concerned about the few investments that I had."

"Okay! Can I change the subject now?"

"I wish you would."

"Since you are now unmarried, how do you feel about changing our room to a king-size suite?"

"Are you trying to seduce me?"

"Absolutely."

oOoOO oOoOO

Seymour was waiting when we arrived bright and early. He had a whole bunch of documents arranged on a conference table and even had a secretary available. He seemed well organized for the meeting, which was out of nature if you knew Seymour.

Caroline had divorced me almost three years ago for abandonment. Since Bixler was very wealthy, she didn't want anything out of the divorce. Seymour tried to get her to sell the house as a condition of the divorce, but she declined. She said to let it go back to the bank, so he had her sign a few papers, and it all became mine. Seymour rented the house out and had been making the mortgage payments in my name since. The renters were more than willing to buy the house if I was agreeable.

My guardian lawyer also had filed state and federal income taxes for me for the past eight years. There were not very exciting tax returns, but they kept me legal.

My mutual funds and my stocks had done quite well. He had all the dividends automatically reinvested. I had forgotten all about the thirty Krugerrands he was holding for me.

Most of the meeting consisted of getting everything transferred back to me. Seymour had me sign several documents that relieved him of all further responsibilities for my property and my well-being.

Marsha seemed to get a bit of enjoyment out of the whole thing. She did have quite a few questions for Seymour about my ex-wife's present situation. He didn't have many answers.

I told him to use one of the remaining powers of attorney forms to sell the house. The last thing he did was hand me the bill for his services over the past eight years. Seymour wasn't cheap, but he made me far more than I needed to cover it. By the time we got done, I had quite a big pile of documents and a nice check. I quietly slid them over to Marsha and gave her a little smile. She grabbed them eagerly.

OoooOOOoooo

Father Doyle had mixed emotions about my leaving. On one hand he was happy for me, but on the other hand, he was sad to see me go. He did have a replacement lined up, and I had agreed to see that he was properly trained.

I guess you can figure out where I ended up going. Marsha and I decided to live together for a while before making any permanent arrangements. Her snazzy little row home was in an upscale section of Philadelphia within walking distance of her office. I got a job processing student loans and Pell grants at the Community College of Philadelphia. It was low-key and not too demanding, but very satisfying.

Meeting Marsha's family and friends was another thing entirely. All of them were well educated and successful in their chosen professions, but I had no trouble at all fitting in. Most of them were relieved that Marsha had finally found a companion.

Epilogue

Carl Bixler had been diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's disease before his marriage to Caroline. Marsha very discretely notified his children of the situation. It took only a few months for them to have their father's marriage annulled before Caroline could assume financial control. She now found herself unmarried and unemployed.

Daniel still has had no contact with his daughter, Claire.

PAPATOAD
PAPATOAD
3,374 Followers
Share this Story

Similar Stories

An Unexpected Reaction To an unacceptable situation.in Loving Wives
Already Gone A wife and her lover plot but the husband is a step ahead.in Loving Wives
Penny Whimsy Her plan to trade up didn't work.in Loving Wives
A Promise Made, A Vow Broken No such thing as a hall pass when it comes to wedding vows.in Loving Wives
Burning Down the House He found out she had a plan. His actually worked.in Loving Wives
More Stories