All the World's a Stage

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"No problem."

They shared a quick kiss and Jenny left, while Ryan searched his pants pockets for his key.

The minute he went inside the house, he smelled a subtle hint in the air of women's perfume.

"Spring Violets...Son of a bitch!" he mumbled angrily.

The living room light came on, and he jumped surprised to see his dad sitting in the dark.

"Welcome home, Son."

Ryan crossed over to the chair, directly opposite, and sat down.

"Is she still here?"

"Went home an hour ago."

"Are you going to tell me you were just talking with her about her acting?"

"I think we both know I wasn't."

"Jesus, Dad. Tricia? What...Why...Shit! I hardly know where to start."

"I would love to give you a reasonable explanation outside of her being a young, beautiful girl, but I'm not sure I fully understand it myself."

"This could get you in a lot of trouble."

Matthew nodded, "In the short run, if anyone finds out. Once she graduates, then it's a lot less of a deal."

"So, you're going to keep seeing her?"

"I've been sitting here wondering about that very thing. The crazy part is that I really do like being with her. I mean, not just for the obvious reasons. She's funny, smart, loves old movies and literature, and she's strong. Given what her home life is like, she's remarkably brave in the face of it all."

"What about the drinking?"

"Tricia told me the story. It wasn't what you thought. Her parents are the messed-up ones in that regard."

"You understand that this is kind of weird for me. I've known Tricia since we were freshmen. It's...well...it's just kind of weird to think of the two of you together when you're so...uh..."

"Old?"

"I was going to go with mature, but, yeah, old."

"We've spent weeks putting on a play about that very thing."

"So, you're trying to be your great-grandpa?"

"I didn't set out to have that happen, but being around Tricia has made me understand his story even better than I did. You really can't help who you fall for. I don't know...it is crazy, isn't it? I should probably just walk away."

Ryan got quiet for a minute listening to the distant hum of the refrigerator in their kitchen.

"I don't think you should."

"Honestly?"

"I can tell you this much. I know you've been spending most of your energy all these years taking care of me. I mean, I love my mom, but we both know she left you high and dry when it came to child-rearing. It all fell on you, and I appreciate how hard that must have been at times."

"You were never anything but a joy for me, Ryan."

"I could say the same about you, but we both know you had to sacrifice a lot to raise me. It must have been lonely. When was the last time you went out on a date? You don't have to answer. We both know it's been years. Then Tricia comes into your life, and all of a sudden, you light up. I didn't notice it before, but you've come alive around her in a way I've never seen from you. So, I think it would be a mistake to give that up. Someday soon, I'll be going off to college, and it would make me feel better if I knew you had someone in your life. Don't you think you deserve that?"

Matthew shook his head, "Look, I'm glad that you want me to be happy, but won't it be awkward for you if it's Tricia?"

"Well, I'm not fucking calling her, Mom, that's for sure!" he said, laughing.

"I don't think she would want that either," replied Matthew, laughing along with him.

"Thank you for trying to understand, Son. It means a lot to me that I don't lose your respect."

"That could never happen. Whatever you decide to do. I'll always support you. If the two of you decide to have kids, though, I'm not babysitting for free!"

"On that note, I think we both should get some sleep."

The stood up together and shared a hug.

"I love you, Pal."

"Back at you, Old Man."

"Tomorrow, we play Super Smash to see who mows the lawn next."

"You're on!"

GRADUATION DAY -

"Are these robes supposed to be this itchy?"

"Quit being such a wuss, Toby. We only have to wear them for a couple of hours," said Ryan.

"Toby should just be happy he's graduating at all!" joked John.

"Play nice, everyone. This is supposed to be our big day," said Jenny giving John Corbin a dirty look.

She had never cared for him or his narcissistic attitude.

Ryan was craning his neck, trying to catch a glimpse of his dad in the football field stands. It was difficult, but he spotted him at last, four rows up from the bottom. He waved and was gratified when his dad waved back at him.

"He must be so proud of you," said Jenny.

"He's proud of both of us."

"They'll be lining us up soon."

Ryan nodded, noticing that Tricia was off by herself away from the main group talking on her cellphone.

"I'll be right back."

He made his way over just as she finished her call and slid the phone inside her robes.

"Ready for the long walk?" he asked her.

"Oh, yeah! I can't wait."

Her voice lacked the enthusiasm he would have expected.

"Is everything okay?"

She shook her head, "That was my parents calling. They originally said they would be here, but their tour of Rome got held over or something. I don't know. It doesn't matter."

"Clearly, it does."

"Fuck them. I refuse to cry on my graduation day unless it's tears of joy!" said Tricia, trying to shake off her melancholy.

"You have plenty of people here who are proud of you already, even if you're parents aren't here to tell you."

"You've always been so nice to me, Ryan. I'm going to miss you when you leave for school."

"Yeah. I hear you're going to take classes at that girl's school across the freeway from where my dad works?"

"It's private and supposed to be good. I don't need the distraction of having a bunch of guys trying to hit on me while I study."

"Is that the reason? I thought maybe you were trying to stay close to someone."

Tricia cocked her head to one side, trying to look puzzled as if she didn't know what he was talking about.

"I'm not sure what you mean?."

Ryan glanced around to make sure no one was listening.

"It's okay. He loves you too. You should wave, the fourth row from the bottom," he said, pointing back to his dad.

"He told you?"

"It didn't take a genius to figure out."

Tricia looked embarrassed, staring down at the ground, "I probably should have said something to you. I didn't know how you would feel about it."

"Tricia?"

She raised her head.

Ryan smiled back, "It's okay. I just want him to be happy. If, by extension, my friend can be happy too, then where's the harm?"

"You mean that?"

"Sure...but I'm not freaking calling you, Mom! Okay?"

"Deal!" she said, hugging him.

"Come on! Get it in gear, you two. We're lining up!" called Jenny.

Ryan gave Tricia one last pat on the back and went to join his girlfriend.

"What was that all about?"

"Nothing. Just making sure to stay on her good side. I might need to borrow the car one day."

"Huh?"

"Don't worry about it. Let's go start the first day of the rest of our lives."

He took Jenny's hand and went to join his classmates.