Along Came a Spider Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The candlelight brought his face into sudden relief, and Tabitha cringed back. His shoulder-length hair was terribly pale---nearly white, and maybe it could have been, were it not stained yellow by the flickering candle---and his skin was almost just as pallid. His features were all long and narrow and pointed, from the end of his chin to the cheekbones that jutted, knifelike, from below his eyes. And what eyes they were. Perhaps it was a trick of the light, but Tabitha thought they looked almost yellow, too light to be properly brown. His hands were thin, spidery things that protruded from the sleeves of his black turtleneck sweater, tipped by nails that were just a hair too long and sharp.

"I brought tea," Lex said, dangling the tin in front of his face. He lifted a hand to snatch it from her, and his long fingers fell through the air as Lex abruptly jerked the tin out of his reach. The man's amber eyes narrowed, but there was a faint smile on his lips. "You owe me ten bucks," she scolded.

The man tilted his head to the side slowly. "I don't think I owe you anything."

"I work for you. I don't buy your groceries. I don't have enough money for that."

The two of them kept their eyes locked on one another for several seconds, and Tabitha fidgeted nervously next to Lex as she kept the cylinder of tea held high over her head. Then, never lifting his gaze from Lex, the man tugged open a little drawer behind the counter and fished out a tarnished bronze coin, which he dropped into Lex's palm. She stared at it in confusion.

"This doesn't look like ten dollars," she said dubiously.

"It should be sufficient." He lifted his pale eyebrows as she studied it, then slowly extended his palm. "The tea."

After a moment, Lex rooted through her purse and drew out another tin, then placed both of them in his waiting palm. Satisfied, he deposited them into another drawer with a clatter. "You've failed to introduce me to our guest," he said as he shut the drawer. Tabitha, who had been staring wide-eyed at the impossibly old book on the counter, was suddenly jerked back to earth.

"This is the one I was telling you about. Um, Tabitha," Lex said, and the man leaned a little closer to examine her. Tabitha took what she hoped was an inconspicuous step backward.

"Ah, yes. The girl who ran." He smiled. It was probably supposed to be a kindly smile, but it sent a chill running up her spine. "What were you running from, Tabitha?" he asked softly.

"I'm sorry," Tabitha murmured. "I was walking alone, and I was...well, I thought I was being cautious."

The man regarded her with amusement. "The cautious ones don't often find themselves here. It usually the curious ones who come looking, searching for something they don't need." He rested his chin in his palm lazily, but his gaze had become wary. "And what were you searching for, when you walked through my door?"

Tabitha's jaw opened and shut several times, but no words came out. From the corner of her eye, Lex was making frantic gestures with her hands, urging her to speak. "I-I've been having troubles recently," she finally said, and he arched an inquisitive eyebrow.

"How unfortunate. What sorts of troubles? Perhaps I could be of some assistance."

The answer came to her lips, but, once she realized the absurdity of the words she was about to speak, she found herself glowing pink. "...Vampires," she bit out, feeling utterly foolish. Lex blinked at that, and she felt her flush darken to scarlet.

But, to her amazement, the diabolical storekeeper did not appear to find her answer entertaining. "My wares are certainly useful, but I'm afraid that attempting to guard oneself against an army of vampires is only an exercise in futility, and a rather expensive one at that," he mused. His long fingers tapped a steady pattern against the wood as he spoke.

"It's just one," Tabitha said quickly. "And I might just be blowing this out of proportion. But he lives next door, you see," she continued, wincing as she heard the ridiculousness spewing from her lips, "and I was looking for some sort of..."

"Protection."

"...Yes."

"That could be arranged. But what would you offer me for such a thing?"

Tabitha bit her lip. "I think I have twenty dollars---" she began, but he he cut her off with a shake of his head.

"I have no interest in pieces of paper." His eyes raked over her appraisingly, and Tabitha froze.

"What do you want?" she asked hoarsely.

"Can you think of nothing?" he asked, looking bored. Tabitha wet her lips. While she didn't know much about the stranger in front of her, he didn't exactly strike her as the lecherous type. Still, the way his yellow eyes probed at her made her extremely uncomfortable. What did he want? Was this the part where she forked over her soul, or started lopping off fingers or bottling drops of blood?

"I don't think I have anything you want," she said quietly. "But I could come back and bring---"

Already disinterested, the man leaned back into his wooden chair and cut her off with a vague wave of his hand. "In all my years, I've learned that people are inherently unreliable. Especially the terrified ones," he added with a long glance towards Tabitha. She frowned.

"I'm not terrified," she said, annoyed despite her precarious circumstances.

"And the liars," he said delicately.

Lex watched Tabitha worriedly as she folded her arms tightly across her chest. A million words came swarming to her mouth---none of them terribly pleasant---and she thinned her lips to keep them trapped behind her teeth. She thought of leaving in a huff. She thought of falling to her knees and begging. She felt dizzy. Something in her brain was trying to tell her that these things didn't happen, that adult women weren't plagued by polite vampires that lurked around their apartment complexes or strangers that bartered talismans in alleyways. Absentmindedly, she rubbed her arms through her coat. If the shop had the power to just spring up out of nowhere, she wondered how much harder it could have possibly been to make it feel a little warmer.

The man in front of her watched her internal struggle in silence and then returned to his book. Tabitha swallowed, but her eyes suddenly flitted to the old turtleneck sweater he was wearing. Without thinking, she unwound the black scarf from her neck.

"I made this a little while ago. It was the first scarf I ever finished," she said, and he glanced up as she bundled it up and placed it gingerly in front of his book. "It's very cold in here. Maybe it could keep you warm." Those long fingers tangled themselves in the scarf and sifted through it.

"You made this?" he asked curiously, and, daring to feel the smallest twinge of pride, Tabitha nodded. "How extraordinary," he murmured, and he knelt closer to examine the clever little stitches and cables with wide eyes, like a magpie inspecting a particularly shiny new bauble. When Tabitha looked at Lex, she rolled her eyes heavenwards and shook her head. It was a universal head-shake, the kind that meant Don't mind him.

The world is a very strange place, Tabitha thought.

"Is it enough?" she asked aloud, wrenching her gaze back towards the shopkeeper, who had already draped the scarf around his shoulders.

"We have a deal," he said. He extended his hand, and Tabitha regarded it distrustfully before placing her hand in his palm. He had very large hands. After a brief shake, he slumped back into his chair, looking all for the world like a man who had gotten the far better end of a bargain. "Come back tomorrow," he added, and Tabitha's face fell.

"I really need it for tonight," she began, but he quelled her with a look.

"It will require a day's work. I won't be rushed."

Tabitha's fingers clenched into desperate little fists. "But he---but he'll be there, and---well, I don't know what I---" When his expression didn't change, her shoulders slumped in dismay. "Fine," she said dully. What if it didn't even work? She liked that scarf a lot.

"I could offer some advice, to aid your endeavor in the meantime," he said after a moment's pause, his fingers still playing with the material of the scarf.

Tabitha thinned her lips and began to tug at the tips of her mittens. "I suppose you'll be wanting these," she sighed. But, to her surprise, he laughed.

"Aren't you a fast learner? Not to worry. I'll give it freely this time, to ensure your return." He steepled his fingers on his chest. "Don't run. Don't hide."

Ice trickled down her spine. "Don't...hide?" she echoed.

"A girl who hides begs to be found. A girl who runs begs to be pursued. There are a number of things in this world that would gladly give chase. It's best not to tempt them."

Tabitha suddenly felt the true gravity of her situation weighing on her shoulders. She gazed down at him hopelessly, her eyes as wide as saucers. "Then what am I supposed to do?" she asked softly.

"You've wandered into a lion's den, Tabitha," he told her, with another apocalyptic smile. "I'd suggest you treat it very courteously."

Tabitha wormed her hands into her pockets as he spoke, her body wracked with unease. She suddenly couldn't wait to leave. "Thank you," she said, forcing a smile, "for all of your help. I'll be back tomorrow night." He dismissed her with a little wave of his hand.

"Until then," he intoned, inclining his head in a short bow. Tabitha took one last look at him; this strange man wearing her old scarf. It looked a bit silly on him. After a moment, she nodded and turned on her heel towards the exit.

" 'Bye," Lex called. Tabitha gave her a tired wave from over her shoulder and wondered what sort of resume one needed to begin working for fucking Satan.

When the door shut behind her, she shuddered. Without her scarf, the cold air was diving gleefully down the neck of her coat. Her hands shivering slightly, she withdrew her phone from her purse and checked the time. Her eyes widened when she saw the numbers, and she quickly dashed through the alley and back into the street.

---

Sunday, 8:23 p.m

After a mad dash to her apartment, she arrived to find the hallway empty and the parking lot missing Lily's silver Honda. She wound up wriggling into the first half-dressy thing she could find, (a dark green dress with long sleeves and some lacy tights, all tied together with a pair of sensible little leather boots), and had just begun to touch up her makeup when she caught sight of her hair---which had devolved into a tousled brown mess throughout the course of the day---in the mirror. She had descended upon the living room table with a trash bag and a can of Pledge, and the area was a little less of a wreck than it had been when she arrived. It still needed work, but for now, it would have to do.

A knock sounded at the door just after Tabitha had wrestled her hair into a satisfactory bun, and she turned her head with bobby pins sticking out from between her lips.

"It's unlocked---you can come in," she called through her teeth. The door creaked open hesitantly just as Tabitha shrugged on her grey wool coat. "Sorry I wasn't here to let you in earlier, I had---" The rest of her sentence lodged itself in her throat as she glanced over her shoulder. James was in her hallway, shutting her door behind him. "...Hi," she finished in a small voice.

"I did try you at eight, but I don't think you were home," he said. He was examining her apartment with vague interest; from her carpet to the couches to the pot rack in her kitchen. Somewhere beneath the thick fog of doom that was clouding her brain, she wondered if he was expecting her to show him around and, as she surveyed his dark jeans and white t-shirt, if she was slightly overdressed. But she had let him into her apartment, she thought, and the realization cut through her like a knife. Did invitations work like they did in the movies? Were they automatically rescinded after twenty-four hours, or did he have free reign over her apartment?

She forced a weak little smile and filed those thoughts away to panic about later. She had bigger problems right now.

"I'm so sorry," she stuttered once she had pulled the bobby pins out from her teeth. The ends dug into her palms as she unintentionally curled her fingers into fists. "I had to work late. Someone didn't come in."

"There's no rush. We have all night." He gave her a broad grin that showed too many teeth to be reassuring and Tabitha felt herself grow pale.

"E-excuse me," she said, and he bowed his head as she darted into her bedroom. After withdrawing her phone from her purse, she stared down at the screen in disbelief. She had three missed calls from Lily and one voicemail. She lifted the phone to her ear, her movements sluggish with horror.

"Hey Tabs, please don't hate me, but my parents just guilted me into dinner with them tonight. I'm going to try to be over there as soon as I can, but---"

Tabitha pressed the end button and crammed the phone back into her purse. Of course Lily was late tonight. Everyone was late tonight. Everyone except...

"Everything alright?" James called softly from the living room, and she shut her eyes tight.

"Everything's fine," she replied, her voice strained. With a composing breath, she opened her eyes and turned to peer out at him from her bedroom doorway. He was leaning against one of her sofa arms. "Where are we going?"

"It's a surprise," he said cheerfully, and an army of goosebumps prickled up Tabitha's arms. Her terror must have been incredibly obvious, because the smile faded from James's face and he jerked his head to the left. "Just across the street. I don't drive, so I hope you don't mind a short walk."

"That's okay---I walk everywhere," Tabitha said. After a bit of contemplation, she released her grip on the doorknob. "I'm, um..." She cleared her throat, and James watched her expectantly. "...Can I get you a water or something?" she tried.

"I'm fine." His dark eyes darted towards her door. "Are you ready?" Tabitha looked down at the purse in her hands, the shoes on her feet, and the coat draped across her shoulders, and, realizing that she had absolutely no other excuse for stalling the inevitable, nodded slowly. Her mouth felt very dry.

"Yes."

"Good," he said as she crept out from the sanctuary of her bedroom. His eyelids seemed to crinkle brightly at the corners when he observed the tights stretched over her legs. "You look nice."

"I hope it isn't too much," she murmured, hunching her shoulders and hurrying to the door. He followed and waited behind her as she reached the doorway, momentarily trapping her in front of him, and her breath grew shallow.

"I think it's perfect," he said, only inches from her hair. Tabitha squeezed through the door opening with a newfound haste and James followed, pulling it shut behind him. He loomed over her as she fitted her key into the lock with a shaky hand, then fell into step at her side. "Are you hungry?" he inquired as they trotted down the stairs.

"A little," she admitted. And then, with a worried glance back at her date, "What about you?"

He was still smiling. "Starving."

Tabitha's lips quivered as she attempted to return his smile. There was still time. If she moved quickly, she could bolt back up the stairs and try to beat him to her apartment...

"You know, I was a little surprised that you decided to come out tonight," James said suddenly, making Tabitha surface from her thoughts. "You struck me differently when we first met. I thought I might have found a fellow shut-in."

Six more steps until they reached the building door. Five. Four. "You don't go out often?" Tabitha murmured.

"Not really. I'm usually up at odd hours." Three. Two. One. "I think it puts people off," he concluded thoughtfully, and Tabitha watched from the last stair step as he pushed the door open. "After you," he said. She swallowed, and his brow furrowed with mild concern. "Is something wrong?"

"I..." She hesitated, looking at the darkness outside. The familiar courtyard suddenly looked menacing. She shifted her feet. She pined to race back to the safety of her apartment, but some other part of her---probably the same part that sometimes entertained unwanted thoughts of jumping off of balconies and lobbing things at strangers---was urging her to walk through that doorway. As she struggled to think of a response, a deep voice echoed in the back of her brain:

A girl who runs begs to be pursued.

She took a deep breath. Some of the panic writhing in her stomach seemed to settle, just a little.

"I-I'm sorry. I'm just not used to the whole door-opening-thing," she lied suddenly, and a surge of adrenaline blurred the corners of her vision as she stepped down from the staircase and walked slowly past him. Her heart thudded heavily in her chest when he closed the door behind them, leaving them alone in a cold world of stars and snow and traffic sounds. She had never felt so trapped outdoors before.

"Really? Nobody's opened doors for you before?" he asked as he stalked back to her side.

"I don't think so," Tabitha admitted as they strode through the courtyard. He tilted his head to watch her from the corner of his eye as she spoke. "I guess I don't really hang out with those types of people."

His lips split into a lopsided smile. "There's a type?"

"Sure," Tabitha replied, looking down at the sidewalk to hide her face. To her surprise, her features were twitching into a shy sort of grin.

"I never knew," he said. "Well, what else do we do? Us door-opening-types?"

Suddenly imbued with a boldness that she didn't know she possessed, Tabitha met his eye and arched her eyebrows. "I've heard that they have a penchant for lending ladies their coats."

"Two for two, then." He tucked his hands into his jacket pockets. "Anything else?"

"Paying for dinner, walking girls home at night," Tabitha offered. "That sort of thing." James let out a bark of laughter.

"I did want to buy you dinner tonight, and I think it goes without saying that we'll be walking home together." He leaned his head back and stared up at the sky as they walked. The traffic flew past them in a hiss over the wet asphalt. "So I'm a stereotype. I never would have guessed."

"You don't have to buy me dinner," Tabitha said quickly.

"No." He gazed down at her pensively. "But I'd like to."

"Why?" she blurted out, feeling her face grow hot when his eyebrows rose in response. She was almost grateful to see herself phase back into awkwardness. The ease with which she had begun bantering with James was off-putting. "I'm sorry, but...we only met a few days ago, and---"

"So we can get to know one another. Isn't that why people go out for dinner?" he retorted, and, at a loss for words, Tabitha hunched her shoulders in a meek sort of shrug. "Besides," he continued, more somber now, "I thought it would be nice to get out. I thought maybe you'd like a change of scenery, too."

"I don't really mind being a recluse," she muttered, a tad more moodily than she had intended. Although she knew he meant it kindly, she couldn't help but feel a little indignant. Thankfully, James didn't seem to notice. He was staring past the sidewalk in front of them, suddenly looking distant.

"It gets old sometimes," he said softly. They continued to walk in silence after that, and Tabitha watched him nervously as they stopped at an intersection. He tapped the crosswalk button, and after a couple minutes of waiting, she cleared her throat.

"So..." She clasped her hands tightly in front of her. "Where do you work?"

The traffic lights shifted and a little LED walking man appeared across the street. James shook his head as they crossed, but she was relieved to see him smile again.

"Wait until we get there to ask things like that," he said, and she frowned.