Ambition

Story Info
Serena discovers sex cannot win her husband's ambition.
6.2k words
4.02
23.7k
5
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Moondrift
Moondrift
2,292 Followers

Is it, in Heav'n, a crime to love too well? / To bear too tender or too firm a heart, / To act a lover's or a Roman's part?

(Alexander Pope. "Elegy to the Memory of an unfortunate Lady")

Professor Julian Harcourt stood for a moment at the door glancing round at the pleasant garden that was alive with colourful summer flowers. He was a handsome and distinguished looking man in his mid fifties. He turned and pressed the bell, and waited, smiling.

The door was opened by an extremely attractive young woman whose features indicated an oriental background.

"Professor Harcourt!" she exclaimed, "This is a surprise."

"Good afternoon Mrs. Daniels, I was in the neighbourhood on business and I thought why not drop in and visit Charles and his lovely wife." He chuckled and went on, "It's a beautiful day and they might give me afternoon tea on the lawn."

"Yes of course, professor," she replied, puzzled by the unexpected visit. "But Charles isn't here he's lecturing this afternoon, but come in," she said as she led him down the passage towards the kitchen.

"Yes of course, how foolish of me to forget, Cromwell and the Long Parliament, isn't it?"

"Yes, I believe so. It's nearly time for afternoon tea so why don't you come to the kitchen with me while I make some sandwiches and you can help me carry the things out to the lawn."

"You have a very pleasing house Mrs. Daniels," he said as they entered the kitchen.

Serena gave a soft laugh and said, "Yes, I suppose we stretched our finances a bit taking it on, but the house and the area..."

"Yes...yes...of course," the professor said as he gazed round at the gleaming kitchen.

Serena started to prepare afternoon tea as he went on, "Of course, if Charles is selected to replace me it would augment his income considerably."

"Isn't there only Charles and Steven Hawks left on the short list professor?"

"That is correct, my dear. And why don't you call me Julian, no need for formality, and may I call you Serena?"

Serena was a bit perplexed because Harcourt had always been a stickler for formality when it came to names and titles, but said, "Yes, of course."

He laughed and added, I suppose I'd better drop in and visit Steven and Sarah as well or I'll get accused of favouritism."

"Favouritism?"

"Well I'm sure that Charles and Steven understand that whoever I throw my weight behind will virtually have the position."

"Yes," Serena said thoughtfully. "You know pro... Julian, I don't understand why you're retiring so early, I mean, heads of departments seem to go on for ever."

Julian chuckled and said, "You're right my dear, they go on until death catches them asleep; but after my dear wife passed away I decided that I'd take time to write some books I've had in mind for some time, and of course, I'll still be active, visiting lecturer and that sort of thing."

"You must miss your wife very much," Serena said sympathetically.

"Yes...yes...very much, we meant a great deal to each other. She was among other things a great supporter of me and my work, and I've often thought that without her help I would never have achieved what I have. But I suppose that would be true of you and Charles."

"Yes, I'd do anything I could to help Charles achieve his ambition. Would you mind carrying the tray?"

* * * * * * * *

They went out into the garden and sat at an outdoor table.

Julian looked around appreciatively saying, "Yes, you certainly have a lovely setting here."

"Yes, Charles and I love it."

"Mmm, a brilliant young man your husband, and lucky to have such an attractive and supportive wife. That's the problem; the faculty will have a difficult time making the choice. Steven is equally brilliant and his wife is just as ambitious for him as you are for Charles. You've met her at the faculty events haven't you?"

"Yes."

"Very attractive don't you think?"

"Yes, she's lovely."

"Steven is a little senior in years to Charles; but they're both so evenly matched; I wish I didn't carry such a heavy responsibility."

"Responsibility?"

He sighed, "As I said, my dear, a word from me as retiring head of the department can swing the vote one way or the other, and the choice is so evenly balanced."

"Yes, I see."

"Both the men are so keen, the one who doesn't get the position will be bitterly disappointed. Oh but I shouldn't be talking to you like this, it's just that it would take so little to swing the vote one way or the other."

"Yes, it must be very difficult for you."

Julian laughed as if dismissing the subject, and sat drinking his tea for a while in meditative silence, and then went on, "You're a very devoted couple aren't you; I've watched you at the faculty gatherings."

Serena laughed, "Is it so obvious?"

"Yes, my dear, it is obvious. Alice and I were very devoted; I miss her a great deal, especially, if you don't mind me mentioning it, regarding the more intimate side of our relationship."

"Yes, I suppose you do," Serna replied, feeling a little embarrassed that a man she didn't know very well should talk about his private life so openly.

Julian was looking at her thoughtfully; "As I say, Serena, it would take very little to move the balance one way or the other, so very little."

They remained silent for a while, and then Julian said, "I suppose you'd do almost anything to help Charles get the position?"

"I'd do whatever I could, but I don't really see how I can help, it's a matter of qualifications, ability and I suppose experience."

"Yes, all of those, Serena, but as I say, my word can swing things one way or the other, and there is something that you could do for Charles that would cost you very little."

"What?"

"As I said, Serena, I miss the intimate side of my life with Alice and, to put it frankly, I'm still very potent."

Serna was flustered and she stammered, "I-I-I'm sorry Julian, I don't understand what you're getting at."

Julian smiled salaciously, "Oh I think you do my dear. As I say very little could swing the balance and you know what that little something could be, don't you?"

Serena stood up, "If you're suggesting what I think you're suggesting, I think you'd better leave."

"Oh dear, so the devoted wife isn't prepared to make a small sacrifice for her husband's future. Well, I won't press you on the subject."

He stood saying, "If you change your mind my dear you know where to contact me, but do bear in mind it's only three of weeks before the faculty must vote. In the meantime I think I'll pay a visit to Steven and Sarah. I might make it when Steven is lecturing.

"Get out," Serena snapped.

He shrugged; "Of course my dear, but such a pity, Charles could have been the youngest head of the History Department ever. Goodbye, it's been nice talking with you."

He walked calmly away.

* * * * * * * *

Serena and Charles had met in Hong Kong when he was on a lecture tour. She had been one the students attending his lectures and after one lecture she had approached him to ask a question.

The impact on Charles was almost instantaneous as he looked at the attractive, delicate looking girl, her features a fascinating mix of the oriental and occidental, with black hair and startling blue eye; her father had been an Englishman working for the Hong Kong administration at a time when the island was still in British hands, and her was mother Chinese.

I suppose you might call it love at first sight, but whatever it was it reached into Charles' heart.

The effect of Charles on Serena was equally strong as Charles tried to stumblingly answer her question. There were other students crowding round him with their questions and as he was making a mess of answering hers he'd laughed nervously and said, "Would you mind it I dealt with these other students first, and perhaps we could go and have a cup of coffee somewhere and I'll try and give you a coherent answer."

She had agreed, and from there their romance that taken off.

Charles was ten years older than Serena and along with his growing love for her he had felt protective of this slender fragile looking girl.

He had only four weeks in Hong Kong and by the end of that time he had proposed to Serena, and she accepted him.

Apart from the whirlwind nature of their romance, their courtship had been oddly old fashioned.

Charles, who was not inexperienced where sexual intercourse concerned, had refrained from approaching Serena for this. He was in love as he had never been before, and had the unexpected feeling that if her copulated with her before marriage he would somehow defile their relationship.

Hong Kong and UK bureaucratic administrivia had held up their marriage so Charles had returned to the UK without his beloved Serena. It took several months for her to get the necessary clearances before she could join him.

When he saw her naked for the first time she was for him so beautiful, with her slender figure, small, firm, high breasts with their sweet pink nipples, and her golden skin, he was close to crying. Even the wisps of her pubic hair made her look so incredibly young.

If Charles needed any reassurance that he had found the love of his life, then he got it during their honeymoon. He had never considered her virginity one way or the other, but when he discovered she was a virgin on their wedding night he was deeply moved and felt rather unworthy of her.

Fragile she might look, but as their marriage developed she displayed unexpected strengths. Sexually she was extremely fervent and very determined where Charles' career was concerned.

When they married Charles held the position of senior lecturer. When a professorial chair became vacant Charles had said that it would in all probability be taken up by an outsider. It was Serena who encouraged him to apply, and he had won it.

When it was announced that Professor Harcourt, the head of the department was to retire prematurely Charles saw him self as having no chance of getting the position, although he dearly wanted it. Again it was Serena who encouraged him to apply.

Much to Charles' surprise the choice had finally come down to himself and Steven Hawk.

Those with the task of making the choice were the professorial staff of the department, and being applicants Charles and Steven were not involved in the apparently endless discussion about who should be appointed.

Despite the fact that Charles would be the youngest ever head of such a department, Serena had been sure he would win. Now with Harcourt's visit she knew the price that might have to be paid for Charles' success.

* * * * * * * *

Serena had been profoundly shaken by Harcourt's visit and his proposition. She was very much in love with Charles and being unfaithful to him had never even occurred to her. It was she who had encouraged Charles to apply for the position, and now she was being challenged to guarantee his success.

From not considering applying, Charles' hopes were now high, and she knew he would be shattered if he failed; and it was she who had led him to this point. It was her ambition as much as his.

That night as they lay together in bed she asked the question to which she already knew the answer.

"Darling, do you really want this appointment?"

"You know I do, I want it for both of us. Think of what it would mean; not only the extra money, but the prestige and the possibilities it would open up; the youngest ever head of the department, and I've got such ideas for it. Harcourt has grown lazy and let things drift along; I want to bring new life to it."

"But if you didn't get it darling?"

"I'd feel a bloody fool for applying in the first place. You know what academics are like; on the surface all bonhomie, and underneath full of petty jealousy and suspicion that someone is angling for their job. Can you imagine how they'd be laughing behind my back if I failed?"

"None of them expected me to get past the first interview, they thought I was too young, and when I did get past it I could feel their resentment. Can't you see how they'd be delighted if I lost to Steven? Having got this far I'd give anything to win."

"Anything, darling?"

"Well almost anything."

Serena hesitated for a moment, and then deciding to take the risk she said, "I didn't tell you, Professor Harcourt was here today."

Surprised, Charles asked, "Harcourt, what did he want?"

"Afternoon tea on the lawn," Serena said as lightly as she could. "He said he was in the area on some business and thought he'd drop in."

"That's odd, he's never taken interest in us socially before."

"No, I thought it a bit odd myself. While we were talking he said that he could swing the vote one way or the other, is that true?"

"Yes," Charles replied morosely, "the current incumbent usually has a lot of influence where his successor is concerned. What made him raise that?"

"Oh, he was saying how he felt the weight of the responsibility. So it is true, he could swing the whole thing?"

"Yes, and I don't think he's likely to swing it my way, he's very chummy with Steve and his wife."

"Mmm, he did say he ought to go and visit them as well or he might be accused of favouritism."

"Well he shouldn't have put himself on the line by coming here. What else did he have to say?"

"Nothing much really, darling, but I hadn't really understood just how much influence he'd have."

Charles drifted off to sleep but Serena lay awake thinking. It was a small enough sacrifice to make and Charles' would never know. Would it really be so bad with Harcourt if it ensured Charles' success?

* * * * * * * *

For the next two days Serena worried the problem like a dog trying to get the marrow out of a hard bone. Hanging over her were Harcourt's words, "I think I'll pay a visit to Steven and Sarah. I might make it when Steven is lecturing."

Would Sarah Hawk give more easily what she had refused?

Finally she decided she could and would pay the price and trembling she rang Harcourt's office.

When he answered she said, "Serena Daniels."

"Ah, what can I do you my dear?" he responded easily.

"What you said the other day, does it still stand?"

She heard him chuckle and she almost slammed the phone down, but having got this far she felt there was no turning back.

"Why do you ask, my dear?" he asked smoothly.

"Because I'm willing to do what you want."

"So, you've come to your senses have you?"

Feeling utterly humiliated Serena asked, "Where and when?"

"Now tell me my dear, can you get away next weekend without making Charles' suspicious?"

"A weekend," Serena protested, "I thought it would be once and then..."

"Once! Oh my dear don't be so ridiculous, once would give us no time at all to get to know each other properly; no, a weekend, can you arrange it?"

"Yes, I suppose so."

"Excellent; now I have a very comfortable houseboat on the river. If you can get away around three on Friday afternoon it's only just over an hour's drive and we can cruise up river for an hour or so, and then tie up at a quiet spot. That will give us Friday night, Saturday, Sunday, and we can return Monday morning having thoroughly enjoyed ourselves."

"I-I'm not sure I can make it for the whole weekend."

"And I'm sure you can if you really try my dear. I can help out a little. I've got two tutorials on Friday afternoon; I'll ask Charles if he can take them over for me. I'm sure he will because he'll want to keep in my good books, ha, ha, ha."

"All right I'll try."

"I'm sure you will. We'd better travel separately, so I'll tell you how to get to the boat -- you'd better write this down."

He gave her the instructions and then said, "Give me a call when you're sure the arrangements have been settled."

"Yes."

"I'm so glad you've seen sense my dear, and I can promise you a very satisfying time. So until I hear from you, goodbye."

Serena put the phone down feeling sick.

* * * * * * * *

That evening after dinner Serena, trying not to reveal her tenseness said, "Darling, I've had a letter from Carmen. She's invited me to spend the weekend with her and there's a gathering of Hong Kong expatriates she thought I'd like to meet; do you mind if I go?"

"No darling," Charles replied, and the smiling said, "As long as you come back to me."

"You know I'll always do that, Charles, as long as you want me."

He took her in his arms and kissed her and then said, "Does that tell you how much I want you?"

She clung to him and he said, "How about making an early night of it, I feel like a little love making."

For the first time since their marriage Serena had to pretend that night. She felt like a Judas who was about to betray him.

The next day she almost telephoned Harcourt to say she'd changed her mind, but she knew that if she did the matter of Charles' appointment would definitely be at an end.

When she did telephone him she simply confirmed the arrangement.

* * * * * * * *

When she arrived at the houseboat late Friday afternoon Harcourt was already there dressed in shorts and t-shirt. Despite her abhorrence of what they were going to do Serena could not help admiring his tall muscular frame, so unlike the caricatures of professors.

He helped her get the few things she'd brought on board, and then untying the mooring ropes they headed up stream.

They travelled for nearly an hour and a half with Harcourt pointing out things she might be interested in, and then coming to a wide sweeping bend in the river with a long sandbar he pointed to a place just above the bar saying, "We'll moor there, it's very quiet and we won't be disturbed."

They tied up and all was quiet apart from the ripple of the water against the pontoons of the boat.

Harcourt came to her and took her in his arms and kissed her. Serena had been determined she would yield to him but not respond, but despite that resolve she did find herself responding; parting her lips to admit his tongue into her mouth.

He led her into a cabin with a large double bed and started to undress her. She made no effort to stop him, and when she was naked he stepped back to look at her.

"My God Charles is a fortunate man to have all this at his disposal," he said, reaching out to touch her breasts.

He fondled them gently for a moment and then moved back to strip himself.

Naked, Serena looked at him. He showed no signs of age, his body taut and muscular, his penis erect.

He laid her on the bed and coming beside her kissed her and began fondling her breasts again. His lips touched one of her nipples and he started to suckle her. She struggled not to respond to him, but when his hand sought and found her clitoris she was lost.

He knew precisely what was needed to arouse a woman, and when he parted her legs and entered her with his penis her body responded.

It was as he brought her to orgasm the last vestiges of resistance fell away and Serena cried out, "Yes...yes...yes..." and as she felt his sperm hammering into her she screamed and then begin to weep.

Harcourt's boasted potency had not been an idle one. Throughout that weekend he took her repeatedly, bringing her to orgasm every time.

Serena knew it was his lust, but that lust had found a responding chord in her. There was only one thing she denied him, oral sex. When he brushed his penis over her lips she had pulled away from him, not out of revulsion, but because in some corner of her mind she wanted this to be for Charles only.

On the other hand Harcourt was not averse to bringing her to orgasm with his tongue.

Perhaps knowing this would be the only time he would ever have with this lovely woman at his disposal he was determined to consume as much of her as he could.

Even before they parted on Monday morning he took her as she sat with legs spread wide and raised on there table.

Moondrift
Moondrift
2,292 Followers
12