Amnesia Ch. 04-05

Story Info
Tony rediscovers Nina, but wants his new life too.
4.2k words
4.75
51.4k
19
Story does not have any tags

Part 4 of the 8 part series

Updated 10/25/2022
Created 06/27/2009
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
coaster2
coaster2
2,595 Followers

My thanks and appreciation to my very skilled editor, Erik Thread, who has patiently worked with me to make this story cohesive and readable. Any errors are mine.


Nina Novak was the older of two sisters, brought up in a modest home in the Bronx. Her mother, Ursola, and father, Janos, were the children of refugees from the 1956 Hungarian uprising. Their parents had escaped in the chaotic aftermath and had landed as legitimate refugees, first in Camp Kilmer, New Jersey, and finally settling in the City of New York.

The Hungarian community gathered together to share their experiences at the Magyar Neighborhood House. It was there that Janos first met Ursola, discovering they both went to the same school. They began dating when Ursola turned seventeen and finally got permission from her parents.

After graduating from high school, Janos signed on as an apprentice carpenter and found work at a local millwork shop. He supplemented his income with after-hours work in the neighborhood.

By 1964, he had saved enough for a down payment on a small house, and Janos asked Ursola to marry him. With their parents' permission, their life in America was now confirmed. Both daughters were born in that little house. First Nina, named in honor of the ship that discovered America and hence, in her mother's mind, their wonderful new lives. Magda came along two years later. Ursola and Janos had their perfect life.

Nina graduated from high school and after several frustrating weeks looking for work, finally went to a temporary placement agency. They tested and interviewed her thoroughly. Within a week, they found her a temporary job as a receptionist at a small law firm.

Nina had developed into an attractive, five-foot seven-inch, dark haired beauty. She had an aura of self-confidence about her and took to the receptionist's job instantly. She handled calls deftly and was unfailingly polite, even when the party on the other end of the line was angry or distraught.

The firm was so impressed with her that they offered her a permanent job and moved the existing receptionist into another office. At nineteen years old, Nina had found a career.

She had been working at the law firm for three years when she first noticed the tall, handsome young man who frequented the same elevator at the same time each morning. She didn't know his name, but she knew she got off on the ninth floor, while he continued on to the fourteenth.

Nina was late getting to work one day, having taken a half-day for a dental appointment. As she arrived at the bank of elevators, she saw the familiar figure of a man standing by himself, also waiting for a car. She entered it immediately after him.

"Nine please," she said, as he looked back at her in question.

He pushed the button and then his own, turning toward her.

"I was wondering when we would meet," he smiled. "I'm Tony Marino." He held out his hand to her.

"Nina ... Nina Novak," she stammered, taking his hand.

"Who do you work for?"

She named the law firm and told him she was the receptionist.

He told her the name of the brokerage firm he worked for.

"Well, now that we're properly introduced, would you like to have dinner with me on Friday?"

"Uh ... uh ... yes!" she blurted.

The elevator stopped at the ninth and Nina stepped out with Tony right behind her.

"I can't very well take you out if I don't know where you live or what your phone number is," he grinned.

"No ... no ... I guess not." Scrambling, she pulled a blank business card out of her purse and quickly wrote her phone number on the face. "I live with a girl-friend in a studio apartment near Morris Park. Call me," she said as she turned and virtually ran into the safety of the office lobby.

She didn't see Tony's smile as he pushed the up button on the wall.

At four-thirty that afternoon, Nina Novak answered the lone incoming call.

"Moulton, Baines and Associates," came the lovely, clear voice.

"Hi, Nina. It's Tony ... from the elevator."

"Oh ... hi. I was just thinking about you," she finally managed.

"I wondered. I'm sorry I ambushed you like that. I would never dream of asking you for a date before we had even met, but ... I ... I couldn't stop myself. It just came out," he said nervously.

"You surprised me. I'm not even sure why I said yes, but ... I did say yes, didn't I," she admitted in her soft voice.

"Yes, you did and you made me a very happy guy. The reason I called, I wondered if I could buy you a coffee in the café downstairs ... after work. I should at least give you some assurance that I'm not some stalker or serial rapist or anything sinister."

She laughed. "I'm off at five. I guess if I'm going to go out on a date with you, I should at least know something about you. I'll meet you in the café."

"Great," he replied.

That was the beginning, and less than a year later they were married. Nina maintained her receptionist job and Tony continued to rise at the brokerage firm. When Nina became pregnant with their first child, Benjamin, she took a leave of absence, stating her intention to return to the law firm at some time in the future.

She was just about to return when she discovered she was pregnant with their second child, Nadia. At that point, she admitted to Tony she was destined for the role of mother and housewife. Their third child, Jared, only confirmed her decision.

-0-

Tony had risen to middle-management at CM&D, and his salary and bonuses provided the Milano's with a good home and a comfortable lifestyle for an early-thirties couple. He had invested wisely himself and had a healthy 401(k), as well as tax-protected savings for the children's education.

His elevation to vice president was inevitable and the salary and perks that came with the job put them in an upper income bracket. They moved to Westport just before Jared started school. As so many of their neighbors had, they enrolled all three children in private schools.

The Nantucket house was purchased when it became available at a lower-than-market price by a financially stressed client of Tony's. It had proved to be another good investment in the run-away housing market of the early twenty-first century. If they were prudent, they had enough investments and property to secure them for the rest of their lives.

But, as with most idyllic situations, there was a catch. Tony had been caught up in the race to the top and was demonstrating signs of stress. He snapped at Nina and the children with little provocation. Increased responsibility had brought increased wealth, but there was little evidence that either he or the family were enjoying it.

His discovery of fraud at CM&D prompted him to begin collecting evidence and documenting it on his office computer, then transferring it to his computer at home. When Stanton Mellows stalled and avoided taking immediate appropriate action, he called Carter Woolman at the Securities and Exchange Commission.

He had met Carter at an investment association convention in Washington a couple of years earlier. They had seemed to be on the same wavelength when it came to regulatory change, especially after WorldCom and Enron.

And then ... awakening in the hospital.

Chapter 5:

Nina carefully skirted around the issue with her children about why she wanted to go to the city for the weekend. She mumbled some vague words about looking for their father. Mrs. Martinez would look after them. Nadia was having a sleep-over at one of her friend's houses while Jared was going to a college football game with a neighbor's family. They would be well occupied until she returned on Sunday afternoon.

She flipped open her cell phone.

"Ton ... uhhhh John, please," she hesitated when Carl answered.

"Hold on," Carl responded.

"John here."

"Tony ... it's me ... Nina."

"Hi. I didn't expect you to call."

"I ... I'm coming to the city. I've booked the Marrakech for two nights. It's the one on Broadway. I want to see you, Tony. I need to be with you. I can't stand knowing you're there and not be with you. Please say you'll come, Tony. Please," she pleaded.

"Nina ... I ... I want to see you too. But ... this is all so strange. It's going to be ... difficult. I won't be done until after nine tonight and I have to be here tomorrow. We won't have much time together."

"I don't care. I'll be grateful for whatever we can have. I just want to be with you, Tony. I need you." Nina was close to tears again.

"Nina, when will you be in the city?"

"I should be there before five."

"I wonder ... after you've checked in ... would you like to come here. We can have a late supper. I'll make something special for us. How does that sound?"

"Wonderful! Yes ... I'll be there as soon as I can. I'll take a cab from the hotel. I can't wait to see you again. It will be so good to be with you again," she crooned.

"OK," he laughed, "I get it. You're not going to stand me up."

"Never!

"Nina ... I need to tell you ... good news I hope. My memory is coming back. Some of it, anyway."

"That's wonderful, Tony. We can talk about it and maybe that will help too."

It was almost seven when Nina pushed through the door of Amnesia wearing a very attractive dark green dress and a big smile. The air was still warm from the late September sun and she carried nothing but a clutch purse and a light sweater with her. The dress was short, revealing her very shapely long legs. It caught Carl's attention along with several other men sitting at the bar.

She walked to the only open spot at the bar and waited for Carl to approach.

"Hi, I'm here to see ... John," she stumbled.

Carl smirked. "Well, well. You mean John actually has a love-life."

Nina blushed, but nodded slightly.

"Good for him. It's about time. And like everything else ... he has good taste," he grinned with an arched eyebrow. "I'll let him know you're here if you'll tell me your name."

"Nina ... he's expecting me."

Carl nodded and having finished serving a pair of beers to a nearby table, pushed into the kitchen, reappearing within seconds.

"He'll be along shortly. He's kinda busy right now. Can I get you something while you're waiting?"

"A red wine? Dry?"

Carl nodded again and pulled a bottle of red from the back shelf, then, looking back at her, changed his mind and opened a different bottle.

"I think you'll like this," he said. "It's a nice smooth Italian. I know John likes it."

"Thanks. I'll sit at a small table, if that's OK?"

"Go right ahead. Things are quieting down finally. Friday afternoon is usually pretty busy from four to seven. Our regulars for dinner won't be here for another hour," he said as he stacked some used glasses in the washer. "How do you know John?"

"Uh ... we're ... uhmmm ... old friends," she stammered. "Have you worked here long?" she asked, changing the topic.

"Just since it reopened earlier this year. I'm the manager and the bartender. John is the head cook and to tell the truth, he's what makes this place go. You should try some of his food. He's getting pretty well known 'round these parts."

"I plan to. We're having dinner here and he said he was going to make something special."

"Lucky girl. He won't disappoint you," he said, turning back to mix a pair of drinks for another couple.

Nina took her glass of wine and moved to a small table near the front corner of the room. She gazed out the large window, watching the people walk by in the fading evening sun. This was the Bronx, their old neighborhood.

Lost in her thoughts, she didn't see Tony as he walked quietly to her, leaning down and kissing her cheek. She jumped at his touch and then got herself under control, her hands going to his near arm and pulling him down again. The kiss was long and soulful.

"Hi," Tony whispered to her, smiling as he gazed into his wife's eyes.

"Hi," she responded, tears now forming and blurring her vision. She blinked, as they trickled down her cheeks.

Tony moved the vacant chair around so that he could sit beside her instead of across. He was just looking at her, but he wore a look of contentment as he did so. He reached for her hand and held it.

"I'd forgotten how beautiful you are," he said at last.

She smiled. "You haven't told me that in a long time. I love to hear it."

"I haven't done or said a lot of things in a long time. Much longer than just the last year. I'm not sure I want to get all those memories back. Maybe I'll be happier with things a little less ... memorable."

"It's strange, Tony. I was thinking about us years ago when we lived near here. I was remembering how happy we were. Is that why you're happy here ... being a cook?"

"Could be. Before I got my some of my memory back, I was living in a world that I was grateful for. People helped me, and so I wanted to help them. I want you to meet those people. They've become important to me. They kept me sane. They didn't ask for anything. They did it because they wanted to. When I had nothing ... and I mean nothing, they gave me a chance."

The smile hadn't left her face. "I'd love to. If they're important to you ... they're important to me."

"Tomorrow, we'll go to the market and do the morning shopping for the kitchen. I'll let Muriel know I'm staying with you tonight. After we've been to the market, we can stop by the Salvation Army office and I'll introduce you to Tom Matthews. He's the man who got me back on the road to recovery. I owe him a lot."

"I want to meet Muriel, too. She sounds like a special lady."

"She is. She's much more than a friend. She taught me how to cook and how to run a kitchen. She also taught me to trust. She trusted me without much to go on. She's another of the people that made my new life possible. It could have turned out so much differently than it did if it weren't for Tom and Muriel, Mr. Leung and Martin. They all made a difference."

He leaned back in his chair as he finished. She looked down at his hand, holding hers tightly as he spoke. She continued to smile as he expressed his gratitude for the help of strangers.

"You are a very different man from the one who disappeared over a year ago."

Tony leaned in and kissed her on the lips before leaving to return to work.

She nursed a couple of glasses of wine as Tony labored in the kitchen. She watched as the serving girl brought meals to the various couples, inhaling the aromas as they passed.

Shortly before nine, Tony appeared from the kitchen having discarded his white smock and hat. He was bearing two bowls and a basket of rolls on a tray as he approached the table.

Nina looked at the offering, inhaling the scent of the food before her.

"Is this what I think it is?" she asked.

"Well, it may not be quite a good as your mother's, but it's my version of Hungarian Goulash," he smiled.

"Oh, Tony. It smells glorious. I haven't had this in years. Look, you even made Csipetke!"

Tony grinned as he watched her delight at his creation. Nina immediately tore open a warm roll and began to test the hot, spicy dish.

"It's perfect!"

They finished their food and Tony called for a cab to take them to the hotel. It was nearing ten o'clock when they arrived at the front entrance and made their way through the uniquely decorated lobby and up to Nina's room. Tony had a small overnight bag with a change of clothes and some toiletries he had retrieved from the apartment that afternoon.

He had called Muriel to let her know he would be staying with Nina that night and she was delighted for him. She was also genuinely pleased that Nina wanted to stop by.

"I'd love to meet her, John. I'm so glad you're getting your memory back. It must be a great relief."

"Yes, it is. But please don't say anything to anyone about it. No one knows and the police want to keep it that way for now. I'll tell you more when we see you tomorrow."

Tony stepped into the hotel room, following Nina. She flicked on the lights and revealed a cozy room in faux Moroccan décor with two queen-size beds, an armoire, a writing desk, a double closet, and a bathroom. He walked to the window and looked down onto the lights of Broadway.

"This was where we stayed when we came to New York for a night on the town," Tony recalled.

"Do you remember this place?" she asked as she stood beside him.

"I do now. You found it, years ago. You said it was funky, if I remember."

"Yes. And it is. Different. You said you liked it. I hope you still do."

"Yeah. It's cool," he smiled, wrapping his arm around Nina's waist. He turned to her and looked deeply into her eyes. He pulled her to him and kissed her, tentatively at first. She responded, and their kiss turned to one of passion.

"Oh ... Tony. I've missed you so. It's been so lonely without you," she moaned into his shoulder.

"I don't know how you could miss the proper bastard I had become, Nina. I didn't like myself, so I'm sure I didn't make you very happy."

"I know, Tony. But that's all in the past. You're different now. You're a different man. You're more like the Tony I married. That's the Tony I want," she said, looking deeply into his eyes.

"I'm not going back, Nina. I'm not going back to CM&D and I'm not going back to living like we did these past few years. It was phony and ... well ... I hated it."

"Tell me what you want, Tony. Tell me what's important to you. I want to be with you, always. We don't need the big house and the fancy cars. They're just things. The only things I want are my Tony and my family. That's all that matters."

"Are you sure, Nina? I'm just as happy here. Being a cook. Living in the Bronx. Not having a car. Do you really think you'd be happy with that?"

"Maybe a couple of years ago, I might have said no. But losing you ... even though we weren't getting along ... losing you hurt so deeply. I know now what's important to me and things aren't important."

She stopped, stepped back and with her hands on his shoulders continued, "You once told me that we had enough money and possessions that we never had to worry for the rest of our lives. If you quit your job, we can live anywhere, do anything we want. If you want to be a cook and live in the Bronx, then ... I'll be right there with you. Especially if you make goulash for me again," she grinned.

He smiled and gazed at her. "Are you sure? It's a big lifestyle change, Nina. We have the kids to consider too."

"I know. There are all kinds of things to think about, but ... it's about ... it's about us. What makes us happy? How do we live our lives? What's important to us ... to our marriage? I think we can be selfish about that."

The smile hadn't left Tony's face as she spoke. He stepped toward her, pulling her into his embrace once again.

"Thank you. I'm glad you feel that way," he said, holding her tightly. "I love you, Nina. I know I haven't told you that very often lately, but ... I love you."

Tony felt her tears on his cheek, but didn't move. "I love you too, Tony. I never stopped loving you. I always hoped you would come back to me. And now you have. You've made me very happy, darling."

They made love that evening. Powerful, emotionally profound love. Tony called it a renewal. He said it was like they were starting all over again. Having to learn everything about each other once more.

When they awoke the next morning at first light, they made love again. There was no mistaking the passion they expressed in each other's arms.

They shared a leisurely breakfast in the hotel restaurant before catching a cab to the Salvation Army office.

Tom ushered the couple into his small office.

"Good to see you as always, John. And who is the lovely lady?" he asked, smiling at Nina.

"Uhhhh ... this is going to sound odd, Tom, but this is Nina Marino ... my wife."

coaster2
coaster2
2,595 Followers
12