Amnesia Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I don't know, Tony. This sounds like a seven-day-a-week proposition to me. You're falling right back into that work trap again," she said mournfully.

"Nope. Rest assured, I won't let that happen. I'm going to be a cook and a manager and a husband, I promise you. I will hire the people we need to make it happen. Eric is almost ready to run his own kitchen. Muriel has been running the Bamboo Terrace for three years now. I can get graduates from the culinary school to apprentice and then I'll spend my time training people and developing menus.

"I made myself a promise that I wasn't going to neglect you ever again. I intend to keep that promise. You've suffered enough thanks to me. I won't let it happen again."

"Tony, this still sounds very ambitious and challenging. I'm worried," Nina admitted.

"I won't do this if you don't agree, Nina. I won't."

"I know. I won't ever stop you from doing something that you really want to do. I just want you to step back and remind yourself every day of what we went through before. We can't go back there, Tony." She looked at him steadily ... her face neutral and yet determined.

He nodded, stood, moved to her and kissed her gently. "I don't want to go back their either, babe. It was a bad place and I will do everything I can to avoid it. I promise."

-0-

Nina told her real estate agent, Aurelia, that she was nervous talking to Tony about the townhouse they looked at that day. After three weeks of frustration, she had finally found a home that had the "Wow Factor."

"I knew as soon as I saw it that it was perfect." There was, of course, the problem of price. One and-a-half million dollars.

Later that evening, "Tony ... on Sunday ... can you come with me. I want to show you a townhouse. I'd like your opinion on it," she said tentatively.

Tony looked at his wife and smiled. "So ... you've found something you like, huh."

She looked at her husband sheepishly. "Yes."

"OK. When do you want to go?"

"Uhmmm ... eleven o'clock?" she said, still sounding unsure.

"Fine."

Nina sat, gazing at her husband. "That was too easy. You're up to something."

"No, darling, you're up to something. You've found what you want but you're afraid it's too expensive and you don't know how to get me to agree to but it. Close enough?"

Nina shook her head. "You know me too well."

Nina had been working with Aurelia Chinetti, an agent recommended to her by Magda. Aurelia was a good listener and had only taken Nina to homes where she believed there was a chance that she would like them. They had set an initial budget of one million, but now, that proved to be unrealistically low for the size, features and quality that Nina wanted.

Aurelia acknowledged this and took Nina to see the townhouse on the chance that it would catch her eye. It did just that, and by the time the two women had spent an hour in the home, Nina told her she wanted this property. It would only be a matter of whether she could talk her husband into it.

When Tony and Nina met Aurelia at the address of the townhouse, he had already sized up the neighborhood. While it was middle class at one time, today it was an upscale neighborhood. The older homes that had yet to be renewed were being squeezed by the newly renovated places such as the one they were about to see. Aurelia talked about the kind of pressures to sell that would be on some of the long-time residents. On the other hand, it was a nice area to live.

When they walked inside, Tony saw what attracted Nina to the townhouse. It was spacious, modern without being cold, beautifully decorated and complete with all the modern appliances. When they completed the tour, they met in the kitchen and Tony folded his arms across his chest.

"How much?"

Aurelia cleared her throat as Nina visibly cringed. "One point five," she said holding her gaze steady on Tony.

"Hummph!" Tony said, giving nothing away. He turned to Nina.

"Is this what you want?"

"Yes ... yes. I know it's horribly expensive ... but ... it's beautiful. It is what I think we both could be happy with," she said, appearing to gain confidence when her husband had not erupted at the price.

"How long has it been on the market, Aurelia?" Tony asked, turning to her.

The agent looked at her listing sheet. "Almost four months."

Tony nodded. "Do you know if there have been any offers?"

"None listed, but I'll check and see."

Tony was quiet, obviously thinking.

"Why don't we make an offer? One point three-five. No subjects other than the usual inspection and title search."

Aurelia looked surprised, but pleased. "I can do that. But they will certainly want to counter."

"I'm sure you're right. However, once we know if there have been no other serious offers, we may want to play a waiting game. How long have they owned the house?" Tony asked.

"Uhmmm ... seven years," she said, looking again at the form.

"What do you suppose this place would have sold for seven years ago?"

"Just over seven hundred ... maybe," she replied.

"Not a bad profit then, don't you think?" Tony smiled at the agent.

They wrote up the formal sales offer in the kitchen that morning and Aurelia said she would call the listing agent that afternoon. She was interested in what the reaction would be. It wasn't an outrageous discount they were asking for, but in this aggressive market, she was doubtful.

Tony and Nina left the townhouse and returned to their hotel and lunch.

"Do you think it's too expensive, Tony?" Nina asked hesitantly.

Tony smiled. "Of course it's too expensive. However, everything is too expensive in this city. We just have to adapt to it."

"Can we afford it?"

"Yes. Nantucket prices are even crazier and by the time we sell that home, we should clear over a million. Add the Westport home and we have more than enough for both the house and the new restaurant," he said confidently.

He heard a sigh of relief from Nina as she finally relaxed in her chair, taking a sip of her wine. "I was almost afraid to show you that home," she admitted.

"I know. I could tell," he smiled. "But ... it's the one you want, isn't it?"

She nodded.

"Good. Then we'll both be happy. Just to put your mind at rest ... I liked it too. It's a lovely home and I'm sure we'll all be very happy in it."

On Monday evening, Nina got a call from Aurelia. "They've accepted the offer. I can't believe it. I was expecting a counter offer. Your husband is a very astute businessman," she chirped.

"Yes he is, Aurelia. He certainly is. I can't wait to tell him. He'll be happy to hear the news.

-0-

12