An Unexpected Reaction

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I'll admit it, I had to jump in the water about every five minutes, trying to get my erection to go down. The water was so warm it didn't help.

Her body was small but proportional, making her 32c cups look a lot bigger than they were. Her ass made men stop talking as she walked by. I saw one wife jab her husband in the ribs over it. We tried to kill each other with sex that night. Didn't work, but we almost went into comas.

...

Six glorious months went by. I made her quit the bar so she'd be home with me. She grumbled, but did it. She was walking around with that secret smile I recognized. She was up to something.

To fill in her time, she went back to school, going for a degree in hospitality and food management. I supported her fully, but didn't understand her degree choice.

She called me at work, sounding panicky.

"Honey, I need you to come home. Now. It's important."

I left immediately. She was pacing back and forth, obviously agitated. She rushed into my arms. I was starting to get a bad feeling.

I knew it was bad when she started out with, "Honey, do you love me?"

"Do I have to even answer that?"

She relaxed, took my hand.

"I've got something to tell you, and something to ask you. Hear me out, please, before you say anything."

She had been looking for her sister for a few weeks, wanting to connect. She was twelve now, and she hadn't seen her since she was four. It weighed on her, thinking how good her life was now and remembering her experience with foster care.

"First, I found my sister. She doesn't even remember me. That was pretty hard. She looks a lot like Dad."

"That's great, honey. I'm sure she'll warm up after she gets to know you. Is she in a good home? Adopted? Details, honey, I'd like to meet my little sister in law." I was excited, knowing how much she had been wanting this. A tear trickled down her cheek.

"No," she said sadly, "she wasn't adopted. And she was in a bad place when I found her. A place so bad they had to remove her and the others from the home."

"Where is she now? You haven't lost her again, have you?"

She hugged me.

"No, she's really close." She took my hand, holding tightly. "She's in the spare bedroom."

Wow.

After I collected my thoughts I had Amanda bring her out.

She was only twelve, but she was already taller than Amanda. Her hair was black, her nose was a little broader, but other than that they had identical features. Same mouth, same elegant neck. same expressive hands.

She introduced us. I went to hug her and she backed up, so I held out my hand.

"It's nice to finally meet you, Celeste. Amanda talks about you often."

"The where the hell has she been while I was living in that shithole? Why hasn't she come looking for me before now? I could have been here years ago."

The sheer anger in her voice shook me. Amanda stepped in.

"I'm here now honey. I came for you as soon as I was able to. Four years ago I couldn't take care of myself, there was no way I could give an eight year old what she needed. I had to grow up first. I'm sorry if you're angry. Let's see if we can make it up to you."

Celeste was on a roll.

"Oh, that's just great. Now I get to live with the Cleavers? Wear frilly dresses and giggle over boys? News flash, I KNOW ALL ABOUT BOYS, why do you think they closed the home down? Guys want one thing, and it's right here." She grabbed her crotch.

"Just as soon as you're out the door, hubby here will try to make me his little bitch. Let's get this over with. Give me some cash and turn me loose, and I'm yours for the night. Deal?"

Amanda was shocked into silence. I was furious.

"Maybe we'll just give you a warm bed for the night and send you on your way tomorrow. If what you had is better than what we're offering, go for it. Come to think about it, I haven't offered you a thing. I tell you this. IF we talk it over and decide we want you with us, you'll keep a civil tongue in your head, and not give us any shit. The most important thing in my life is my wife, and I will not have her hurt or suffer because you had a hard life. Hers hasn't been sweetness and light, listen to her story sometime, see if you have any empathy. Are we clear here?"

She had paled and backed away from me, but just as soon as I stopped she got her bravado back.

"Fuck you! I don't need a father figure. I don't need a sister or a mother. I don't need a damn thing from either of you."

"Clear enough." I turned to Amanda, hugging her.

She started crying. I stroked her hair. "I'm sorry honey. I know how bad you wanted this. It seems you may be too late. It's not your fault, you hear me? It is not your fault. Maybe she'll eventually grow up and realize that."

I stepped back and looked at both of them.

"I'm going to start the grill. You two talk, see if you can come to terms. Celeste, you're here for at least the night. I expect you to be civil. And stop cussing!"

They talked while I set the grill up and cooked. I left the curtain open, just in case. I could hear the yelling, see Amanda crying. It broke my heart. Then Amanda said something that caused Celeste to cry, and they started hugging. Maybe there was hope after all.

There wasn't much conversation over dinner, but there were no outbursts either. Celeste ate two steaks and two huge baked potatoes. She even helped Amanda wash the dishes.

They came in to the living room to tell me they were going out for about an hour, they had things they had to pick up. Clothes for Celeste, I guessed.

I sat and thought while they were gone, wondering about a society that treated children like unwanted baggage.

They came back, and Celeste was actually giggling.

She even said goodnight to us, after modeling her new pajamas, complete with feet.

We talked, in the bed after she was asleep.

"Can we keep her, at least for awhile? I'll be responsible for her, you won't even notice her."

I gave a dry chuckle.

"I doubt that. All right, she can stay, temporarily. But she has to behave."

"Thank you, honey. I knew I could count on you."

...

The state was happy to give Amanda custody. She was in a stable marriage, lived in a good neighborhood, and had references from Sam, Helen, and half the bar. Plus, they wouldn't have to pay anything.

It threw them for a loop when I asked where her social security money was. No one had filed it. I got a lawyer and he did the paperwork. When it was settled, they had to give all the money she was due for the last eight years to her, to us actually, as guardians. She also got seven hundred a month until she was eighteen.

We put it into a college fund. She could access it at eighteen if she went to school. If she didn't. she got the full amount when she was twenty one. It would almost be enough to pay for the full four years, if she was careful.

Celeste wasn't as grateful as we had hoped, complaining she should get it sooner, to buy a car.

"That's almost four years away. Let's see what happens between now and then."

I ended up being the bad guy, to make it easier on Amanda. Celeste resented it tremendously, but knew better than to try to play us off each other. The first time got her grounded for a month.

She was behind in school, mostly from not paying attention. She refused help from me at first, but Amanda kind of forced her, giving her rewards for good grades, so she started listening.

...

During this time I was doing really well at my job. The campaign for the wine maker was a roaring success, and led to bigger things. My boss was scared to death I was going to leave, he knew I'd had offers, so he struck a deal with me. I could buy into the company, and he'd match every percent I bought up to seven. At current valuation, I would be able to afford about one percent a year. So in seven years, I'd have fourteen per cent of the company. Amanda and I talked it over, and decided to do it. I liked it here, so did Amanda.

...

Celeste ran away, twice. The first time she was gone fur days before they found her at a bus station a state away. Amanda cried the whole time she was gone.

She came back, defiant and angry. I waited until I could talk to her alone and laid it out.

"You know, you'd be a good kid if you'd let yourself. You're pretty smart, it looks like you could figure out what kind of life you would have n the streets. A drugged, disease riddled whore most likely, old before your time and dead before thirty. Is that what you want? Here it is, plain and simple. You run again, and you won't come back. In three more years you'll be sixteen. I'll pay your court costs for emancipation, give you your social security money, and wish you a nice life. But my wife has just about shed her last tear over you. Do you understand?"

I think I scared her. Six months later she didn't come home from school. When she showed up, she found the doors locked. Thank goodness Amanda wasn't there. I opened the door and talked through the screen.

"I've already boxed your shit. You can come in and wait for D.S.S, I've already called them. They should be here in about forty five minutes."

I opened the door and let her in. She huddled on the couch, rocking back and forth. Soon she was crying, then begging.

"Please, please, please don't send me away. I'll be good, I promise. I didn't mean to leave. I panicked when I got busted for smoking at school. They suspended me for three days. It'll kill Amanda. I didn't know what to do."

I was surprised. She hated smokers.

"Were you smoking?"

"No, but I was with them, cutting class. Please don't send me away."

"Celeste, look at me." She raised her head. "You have got to learn you have a support system. Amanda loves you. I love you. We're a family. We're here to provide guidance and a good home. And love. Let us do our job, all right? You should have come to us and told us what you did. We would have punished you, been disappointed, but we wouldn't have stopped loving you."

The tears started in earnest when I told her I loved her, and she flew into my arms, sobbing her heart out. Amanda walked in.

"What's going on?" she asked, nervously.

"Our child is growing up, honey. She did something bad, got caught, came home, and told me all about it. I truly believe she understands what she did, and is sorry. I'll let her tell you about it. Here."

I handed her off and went outside, catching the D.S.S. worker at the mailbox.

"Hi, Denise. Sorry, it was a false alarm. She got caught doing something she shouldn't have, and got suspended for three days. Nothing real serious, but she was afraid to face us. Amanda is with her now, getting to the bottom of what happened. They're inside, if you want to check on them."

She sighed.

"I ought to, but I think I can trust you. Now I can get home and cook Fred's dinner, and eat as a family for once."

"Thanks, Denise," I said, feeling bad for taking time away from her family. "Why don't you guys come over Sunday? I got a couple of Boston butts I been thinking about roasting."

"That sounds good, Jace, but it's Homecoming at our church. There's going to be a big meal, why don't you guys come there instead? There's an informal competition among a few of us to see how many guests we can get to come, you guys might put me ahead."

I told her I'd run it by the girls and went inside.

"Who was that?"

"It was Denise, honey. She saw me outside and stopped to invite us to Homecoming. You guys wanna go?"

"I wouldn't mind it. They got that new young reverend. He's kind of cute. I'll give her a call, see what she wants me to bring."

Celeste watched me, grinning. I tried to look stern but failed. She hopped off the couch.

"I know I'm grounded for a month, but I can go to church, right? Bobby Smith goes to that church, doesn't he?"

"Celeste! You're thirteen. You've got time for that later. Much later! Between you two lightning will strike the church."

They both grinned at me, and Celeste said "Men!", then went to help her sister with dinner.

That was the exact moment when I knew my little family was going to be okay.

...

This had been a really big week for our little family. Celeste had made the honor roll for the first time, and was due to start learning to drive over the summer. The thought of someone that young driving scared me pretty bad.

Amanda graduated tonight, holding her diploma like it was life preserver in a stormy sea. She even got to make a little speech that brought the house to tears. She talked about her childhood, her sister's, the fact that she had come so far because she had someone who believed in her and wouldn't let her stop. She thanked me for being the best husband ever, and Celeste for being a perfect 'daughter'.

"Have faith, have hope, believe in yourself. You may not get as lucky as I did, but you'll be a better person for trying."

We held a cookout for her the next day, and our little house was filled to capacity. Mom came down to celebrate her accomplishment. Our bar friends, most of my work friends including my boss, Denise from DSS, and surprisingly, Jack Edwards and his wife. I thought they were still in Italy. After everyone else had left, they lingered, waiting to take Celeste for the weekend.

They had married late and never had children. June fell in love with Amanda, treating her like the daughter she never had. When Celeste came along she was over the moon. She kept her for a weekend once a month so Amanda and I could have a little personal time. She always brought Celeste back with at least one new outfit. Mom got in on it too, and between them Celeste was almost never home during the summer. I complained and was jumped by the pack almost immediately.

"Your girls have had a hard life, Jace. The best thing that ever happened to them was you. I've always wanted a daughter and a grandchild, thank you for these. So stop complaining because your daughter is growing up and bonding with her grandparents. We're supposed to spoil her. I have a suggestion, something to take the heat off Celeste. Give us a couple more grandchildren, it'll make sharing easier." Mom sat back after that speech, smirking a little.

We heard a sob, and looked at Celeste. Soon the women were huddled over Celeste, petting her and whispering soothing words. When they settled down I started to ask but Amanda shushed me.

June jumped right in. "Listen to your mother, Jace. You too, Amanda. We're not getting any younger here. Give them to us soon, while we're still fit enough to chase them around."

I looked at Jack and he just grinned.

"I think it's an excellent idea."

Celeste hugged me for a long time before she left, clinging to me.

...

We didn't go down to the bar as frequently as we used to, children limits your options. I still went after work occasionally. Celeste usually had something going on that required transportation, so Amanda became ubermom, taking her to band practice, soccer practice, games, etc. I usually wasn't available for any of that, but made sure I went to all her games.

One sunny Saturday afternoon, at the end of a soccer game, I sat and listened to her and her teammates chatter, trying to decide where to go to celebrate their win. She was going out with groups now, something I was a little uncomfortable with, because they tended to pair up at these things. Amanda laughed.

"Even if you'd like to, hon, you can't stop her from growing up. This is good practice for the kids when the time comes for one on one dating. And they're almost all chaperoned, the only exception is when they go to the movies and hang out at the mall. Trust her, she would die before she'd disappoint her Daddy."

It was right after Amanda graduated, and we were at a church function. The kids wanted to go for ice cream later, and I walked up.

"Here's your Daddy now. Ask him if it's all right."

She looked at me and batted her eyes.

"Daddy, can I go with Mrs. Jenkins and my friends for ice cream?"

It caught me hard, and tears started forming.

"Sure baby, here's a twenty."

She giggled, took the money, and scampered off, yelling out behind her.

"Bye, Mom, bye Dad! I'll be home by seven."

Amanda had to drive us home. After that, we were Mom and Dad.

"It's just easier than having to explain every time someones says something about it and I have to explain. Besides, you treat me like your kid anyway. Plus I like it." She explained, grinning.

I liked it too.

...

Our friend Sam had a stroke. Not a really bad one, but serious enough he had to cut back on work. All their friends pitched in, but it was soon apparent Helen couldn't keep up. Amanda came to me one Sunday afternoon after church. We were going to ride, Celeste was off with friends.

"Before we go, I need to ask you for something. Let me get it all out before you say anything. It's important to me."

I hoped it wasn't bad.

"I love being Mom to Celeste. I love being your wife. But, Helen needs help, and I want to use my degree. I've talked it over with Helen and Sam, and they're all for it. I want to go back to work at the bar. Not as an employee, but as a partner.

Helen will run the bar, with Sam's help. I'll run the kitchen. Will you think about it?"

I did, while we rode. We stopped at the bar and I looked at it with new eyes. It was in good shape, but could use a little sprucing up. Helen came by and Amanda excused herself, going into the kitchen.

"What do you think?"

"I think it's a lot to consider. I don't want to lose my wife to a business. You know my past, and I'm a little sensitive about my wife being on a different schedule. Plus we have to consider Celeste. And, I'll need to know how much money we're talking. In the end, I'll probably say yes, she knows I can't refuse her."

Helen patted my hand.

"You won't lose her, honey. She's already got it planned to where she won't be away from you that much, once the startup is complete and everyone is trained. She has big plans, she's even got me and Sam excited."

So we talked it over. I had long since turned our finances over to her, she was really good at stretching dollars. Oh, I had a general idea, but she usually paid the bills.

Our vehicles were all paid for, even the three year old minivan she had to have to transport Celeste and all her friends. We had bought our house when the lease was up. It was small, but suited our needs. We'd made a pretty hefty down payment, so our mortgage was low. By now I owned four percent of my company, and was making really good money for our size. Our savings account was pretty good, so I had no argument about where the money was coming from.

In the end, we owned thirty percent of the bar. We spent a little money sprucing it up, upgraded the kitchen, and had a grand reopening.

...

Business picked up almost immediately. All the old patrons were happy with the new look of their hangout, and the new customers liked the atmosphere. The place was opening at eleven now, to serve a lunch crowd.

Amanda worked wonders with the kitchen. Gone were the plain burgers and fries. They still offered them, dressed up a little. There were new toppings to select from, such as avacado slices, hot peppers, spinach leaves, four different flavors of cheese slices, and anything else she could think of to put on a burger. Same with the hot dogs. A favorite was covered with grilled onions and mushrooms, hot mustard, and dill relish.

Fries were no longer offered. Instead you got home fries, sliced almost as thin as chips, hand cut and soaked overnight in various flavors.

She also added soups, all homemade. Potato with cheese and bacon bits. Tomato, with half and half blended in. A pork based stew with a lot of herbs was the most popular.

One of her upgrades was a large gas grill, and you could have grilled veggies in season.

She insisted on buying from local farmers as much as possible, and had a large chalkboard at the kitchen door, telling which farm provided the vegetables or meats for the day. The farmers loved it.

1...456789