Another Cup of Coffee Ch. 03

Story Info
Will Kat go to the party and will her dreams come true?
5.6k words
4.66
6.6k
8

Part 3 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 10/15/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Copyright © February 2018 by CiaoSteve

CiaoSteve reserves the right to be identified as the author of this work.

This story cannot be published, as a whole or in part, without the express agreement of the author other than the use of brief extracts as part of a story review.

This is a work of fiction. The events described here are imaginary; the settings and characters are fictitious and are not intended to represent specific places or living persons.

Author's Notes

Foreword #1 : All sexually active characters in this series are over 18

Foreword #2 : This is a story and intended as such.

Foreword #3 : This is part 3 of Another Cup of Coffee. Although there is a short recap at the start you may want to go back and read the previous parts to understand the story so far.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Kat Reynolds' life hadn't turned out quite the way that she had intended. A failed marriage behind her and a lost career, she now found herself rebuilding her life as a barista at a railway station coffee stand. Even though it was a disappointment, there were positives. She had quickly made friends and for sure the new life was so much better than the spiteful relationship that she had endured during her short marriage.

There were ups and downs, happy times and sad, but life went on and Kat had convinced herself that she was not in the market for another man. Christmas was just around the corner and boy how Kat loved everything about it; from the decorations turning everywhere into tinsel town through the scent of pine needles on the tree and finally the joy of giving and receiving presents. For Kat this should be the highlight of the year, but it just didn't feel the same this time around. For the first time she could remember, it was going to be a Christmas alone.

An invite out for coffee had left Kat in a quandary as to whether to go or not. Her heart said yes, after all he was a rather dishy tall dark and handsome chap, yet her mind told her not to get involved again. A little white lie from Susie left Kat with no choice but to attend what turned out to be a very enjoyable morning. Now though she had yet another dilemma, having been invited to his Christmas Eve party.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Monday morning was a hive of activity at the coffee stand. As usual I had drawn the short straw of the early shift along with Susie, getting ready before the morning rush. We busied ourselves in more ways than one with almost as much chatter as there was work.

"Go on then, tell me all about the hot date," came Susie's voice from somewhere out the back.

"It wasn't a date and you know that," came a terse reply.

Susie walked out to the front. "I'm sorry Kat, I should have said . . . How was the coffee with your tall dark and handsome stranger? Did you pull?"

"I guess it was okay. His name is Federico and he's over here from Italy. He just wanted to say thank you. That's all."

"Susie's not believing you. Come on Kat, a hunk like that, there must be more."

My face had turned a deep shade of red under the interrogation.

"You're blushing. There must be something you're not letting on. Now, come on girl, dish the dirt."

"I told you Susie, there's really no dirt to dish. We had coffee, chatted a little and he invited me to a Christmas Eve party at his place. That's all."

"So you did pull then," beamed Susie.

"No, I haven't said yes. He said he wanted me there as a friend, but I don't know Susie. It's all too soon after Jack and I guess I'm worried it will just go the same."

"But you like him, don't you. On second thoughts, you don't need to answer that. The colour of your face is already telling me. So what's the problem?"

"It's me Susie. I do like him, he's perfect, almost too perfect. It's just that I can't do it or maybe I don't want to do it or maybe I'm just scared to get involved again. You don't understand Susie. You've not been through what I have."

"Oh I think I understand, but what I see though is a little different. I see a beautiful young woman, with a whole life ahead of her, throwing it away because of one mistake. If you let Jack rule the rest of your life then you're no better off than before."

"But what if . . . "

"Trust me Kat. Once bitten, twice shy. You'll know soon enough if it's not going the way you want, but if you never set off on a journey then you'll never know where it is going to end up. Tell him yes."

"But we're working on Christmas Eve."

"For you to be happy my dear, I'll gladly cover the end of the shift. Now, pull yourself together, I think your Mr Darcy is on his way."

I dashed out back and tried to compose myself. He was earlier than normal and I really hadn't convinced myself of my answer. I could hear voices out front. The first I recognised as Susie but the second I didn't. It was an order for a decaff latte so not my Double French. Maybe Susie had been mistaken. I continued to busy myself, a hand through my hair and a check in the mirror just in case. Finally I heard Susie call out.

"Kathryn, are you there? There's somebody here wants a coffee and a smile."

My heart skipped a beat. Kathryn . . . coffee . . . smile . . . it had to be Double French. I dashed out front and there he was, waiting by the till with a smile on his face. We both just stood there, looking each other in the eyes before Federico finally broke the silence.

"Now let's see. Can you do me a double french, served with a smile. Oh and yes, you promised me an answer to my question. Are you available on Cristmas Eve?"

I was all of a fluster, not quite knowing what I was doing or where to look. I turned to the machine and set off making the coffee. The first one I spilled everywhere so a second was needed.

"Yes," came the delayed yet simple reply?

"Is that yes to making me a coffee or yes to Christmas Eve?"

Finally I emerged, coffee in hand, from behind the machine. I smiled at Federico.

"Yes, yes, it's yes to both."

"That's great Kat. You've made me so happy. I'll have somebody pick you up at 18:30, but you'll have to let me know where from."

Inside, my head dropped. I hadn't thought about that. Here was a successful businessman sending somebody round to my dingy little flat; okay so it wasn't that bad but it also wasn't in his class of place. I couldn't let him see the life I was living. Thinking quickly I reponded.

"How about they pick me up from here? I'll need to see Susie before we close up for Christmas."

"OK, here it is then 18:30, Christmas Eve. It's nothing too formal so just be yourself. See you then."

He refrained from any physical connection, no kiss on the cheek this time, and I watched as he walked off into the distance, blending in with the growing crowds around the platforms. It was Susie who once again snapped me out of my trance like state.

"Here Kat? You really want to be picked up from a railway station coffee stand?"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Christmas Eve came along and Susie was true to her word, allowing me to shoot off a couple of hours early. Back home, I was struggling to know just what to wear. Federico hadn't really helped. "Nothing too formal. Just be yourself." Those were his words but who was the real me? I, myself, would say that I was a jeans and t-shirt sort of a girl, but I was sure that jeans wouldn't cut the mustard. The weather was also a factor. It had been the sort of December day which couldn't make its mind up what to do; grey was the best word to describe it, cold and grey.

So, what was a girl to wear? Warm and heavy would suit the weather but did I want to go to a party looking frumpy? The alternative was smart and chic, with the risk that I'd freeze to death if things moved outside. It was so long since I had been to a party that I didn't really have a lot to choose between but still it seemed such a difficult choice to make. By the time I had finally chosen, my room looked a mess. Any innocent bystander looking in would think it had been the scene of a burglary. There were clothes strewn everywhere, drawers open and a wardrobe which was practically empty. Hanging on the outside of the wardrobe door though was a knee length stretch black dress and a red patterned scarf.

Hurriedly, I threw stuff back on hangers, filling the wardrobe up again. The chest of drawers was next and before long the bomb site resembled a bedroom once more. I glanced at my watch, noticing the time and deciding I had better get my skates on. Clothes sorted, it was time for me to freshen myself up.

Much as I loved a soak after a long day at work, there was no time. Instead the sound of water raining down filled the flat. In the bathroom a pile of work clothes lay in a heap, a shadow behind the shower curtain outlined a slimly built frame. The water ceased and an arm emerged, fumbling for the nearest towel, before disappearing back inside. Finally I emerged, dried and naked, but for the towel around my head. I glanced in the full length mirror opposite the bath and looked myself up and down. Despite all that had happened, I still admired my figure and had made every effort to keep in shape.

I was never the tallest in the world, standing at around five foot eight but everything seemed in proportion. I ran a hand up my long legs, deciding that they were smooth enough. A glance down at down at my bush showed the true me. I was a natural sort of girl and hadn't really taken for shaving down there. An odd trim around the edges from time to time but nothing more. A quick glance under my arms and I was satisfied that I would pass.

A bottle crashed down into the sink as I searched for my favourite body lotion, a lightly floral fragranced number. I massaged it in liberally, all across my body, paying particular attention to my chest and firm b-cup breasts. I'd never had the largest assets but I was very happy with what I had; firm, pert breasts, almost symmetrical in shape and position, each topped off with a small dark aureole and nipple.

Finally the towel was discarded and I returned to the bedroom. I slipped on a pair of black lace knickers, nothing too racy but just a bit more so than the safe ones I wore every day to work, and a matching lace bra. A pair of opaque black tights followed, before I sat down at the dressing table. It was hair time. Luckily my shoulder length black hair didn't take a lot of doing. It was naturally wavy, so usually a quick blast with a hairdryer was all it needed. Dried, I pulled it back in a short ponytail, secured with a red band. What was left, draped seductively over my ears, pinned back by a couple of discrete hair clips. Make up was understated; mainly natural hues to accentuate rather than dominate. It was my intention to be noticed but not become the focus of attention. I slipped the dress over my slim frame and glanced once more in the mirror, smiling to myself.

"You know what my girl, you've still got it when you put your mind to it," I thought to myself.

Picking up the scarf, my woollen coat and a black clutch bag, I glanced at my watch once more. It was almost six, perfect time to make my way back to the station.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The coffee stand had just about finished for the day. Madge was cashing up and Susie was nowhere to be seen as I approached the counter.

"I'm sorry we're closed for the day," came Madge's voice.

She hadnt even looked up and was more focused on the money in the till than anyone standing in front of her. I stood there not moving a muscle and eventually, realising a customer was still there, Madge looked up.

"Oh Kat, I'm so sorry. I thought you were another customer. You look great, going somewhere special?"

"I hope so," I replied "it's a Christmas Eve party. Is Susie around?"

"She's out back somewhere. Think she was taking the rubbish out."

"No worries, I'll find her."

"Just make sure you don't get that pretty outfit messy, and have a good time."

I wondered off through the station. I knew exactly where Susie would be and yes I wasn't disappointed. I crept up, not so easy in heels, and tapped my friend on the shoulder. Susie nearly jumped out of her skin, spinning round to see who was there.

"Shit, Kat. You scared me . . . "

Susie stood and stared, speechless for a minute or two.

"Is everything OK Susie. Is it the outfit? Is it too much?"

"Kat, you look fantastic," came the reply "if he doesn't like you yet, he soon will."

"Less of that, it's just a party, nothing more. Federico is a friend and that's how it's gonna stay. But, do you really think he'll like the dress?"

"For sure my girl, you look a million dollars. Now, isn't it time you were somewhere else?"

"Oh shit," I exclaimed as I glanced down at my watch. "Wish me luck and have a good Christmas with the family."

I never heard Susie's reply as I dashed off across the station.

"Have a good Christmas yourself Kat. Hope you find everything you deserve."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I sat back, admiring the smell of polished leather as the car drove out of town. I'd never been in anything quite like it. For one it was massive; plush leather and wooden trim made it unlike any car I had ever ridden in. Add in the driver, he was a sweet older gentleman in a uniform and peaked cap to boot. All of this just to give a friend a lift to a party. I wondered to myself what other surprises the evening would have in store.

"Are you comfortable Ma'am," came a rather eloquent voice from in front of a clouded glass privacy screen.

"Oh yes sir, this is a very nice car you have," came my reply.

"Thank you Ma'am. It will be another fifteen minutes or so until we get there."

I watched out of tinted windows as the lights of the town faded into darkness. I had a feeling that we were driving uphill but in the darkness I couldn't really tell which way we were going. In the end I just snuggled back, enjoying the feel of the plush leather seats and waited. Finally the car took a sharp left and pulled to a halt.

"We are here Ma'am," called the driver before getting out.

I was fumbling for the door handle when it suddenly opened from outside, a smartly dressed arm appearing, to help me out. I stood there in awe. We were standing in the driveway to a huge house; actually mansion may have been a more apt description. It was the largest house I had ever seen.

"Go on up Ma'am, Master Federico is waiting for you."

Footsteps broke the still of the evening as I walked the short distance towards a huge wooden door. I glanced up and down the building as I went. Compared to my little flat, this was more of a palace than a house. The door was in touching distance when I stopped, a sudden bout of doubt filling my mind.

"I can't do it. I just can't. How will I fit in? I'm just a poor girl from a coffee stand and he lives in a grand palace like this. We're chalk and cheese. What was I ever thinking . . ."

My thoughts were cut short as the door opened, slowly in front of me. I swallowed hard and composed myself. There was no going back now.

"Kat, how wonderful," welcomed a practically beaming Federico. "Do come in out if the cold."

There was the obligatory kiss on each cheek before I followed Federico inside. It was a struggle to take everything in; inside the house was just as impressive as outside. We wandered through towards the rear of the house, emerging into a large living room at the back. This one room was larger than my entire flat, I reflected. Most of the furniture seemed to have been pushed back towards the walls allowing large numbers of guests to mingle. Music was playing, not too loud, from one end of the room and a table was loaded with food and drink at the other. The room was a hive of chatter, guests obviously knowing each other and using the party to catch up. A large sliding door led to a patio outside where the hardy few took a breath of fresh air.

Emotions were running high as I took in the scene; a mixture of shyness and intimidation as I eyed up the guests. I couldn't quite put my finger on why I felt this way but I did feel like an outsider from another world. Was it that everyone exuded confidence? Was it the air of success flowing through conversations? Was it the sudden feeling that I would have nothing in common? Whatever it was I just wanted to hide in a corner until it was time to leave. It was just as well that Federico had other ideas.

"Come Kat, what can I get you?"

He was already half way across the room before I reacted, dashing after him.

"Do you have a white wine?"

Federico laughed. "Am I Italian? . . . Paola," he called out to a very pretty blonde at the other side of the table "would you be kind enough to pour Kat a glass of that Gavi you seem to be enjoying?"

A glass was passed across the table and I instantly took a mouthful. It was wine like I had never tasted before, nectar on my lips. In fact I never knew wine as good as this even existed. I couldn't start to imagine how much it cost.

"And Kat, let me introduce you. This is Paola, she is an actress who I've known for many years. In fact most of the people here work in entertainment; actors, actresses, writers and producers. There's the odd few from other lines of work as well. Why don't I leave you two to get acquainted whilst I make sure everyone is happy."

And this is how the evening seemed to go. I was introduced to a plethora of men and women; each with an increasingly more interesting story to tell and each asking the killer question.

"So, tell me, how do you now Federico? Are you in the entertainment world as well?"

Every time, I deflected the questions. After all I could hardly stand there and tell interesting tales about pouring coffee at the local station, could I. It seemed that the one person I wanted more than anyone else was endlessly preoccupied. Over time the odd guest or two left and numbers started to decrease. I found myself migrating towards the now empty patio area in an attempt to get away from any more embarrassing conversations. Pulling the door open, I slipped out and onto the patio. I just stood there looking out at the view. I never even noticed the cold in the air, the orange glow of lights from the town down below were enough to grab my interest. They were home and at this point in time, more than any other, I longed to be back there.

There I stood, staring at those lights and thinking to myself. That was where I should be, down in the town and not up here on top of the hill. Against my best intentions I'd built up hopes that Federico wanted to be with me but then I'd hardly even seen him. Was I just naive? A young woman living in a dreamland which had a habit of coming crashing down. A soft voice spoke from behind.

"Penny for them Kat? I was wondering where you'd gone as most people have already left. Here, take this. You must be cold."

I felt a jacket being draped around my shoulders followed by a strong, comforting arm. I looked back at Federico and smiled.

"Don't they look fantastic?"

"I guess I've never stopped and looked," Federico replied.

"That's my world," I continued. "That's where I should be."

"What do you mean? Aren't you enjoying yourself?"

"Federico, it was fantastic of you to invite me but I don't belong here. What do I have in common? I serve coffees at a railway station. I was dreaming to think there could be anything else."

"Oh my dear Kat, to me you are so much more. I thought this would be a good way to show you but maybe it wasn't."

Federico sidled up closer, wrapping a second arm around the shivering Kat and holding her in tight.

"You're shivering," he commented "you should come back inside."

12