Armadillo Crossing

Story Info
Who knew what could happen because of an Armadillo?
13.8k words
4.81
65.5k
182
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Thanks is due to my editing team: Girlinthemoon, Hal, Olddave1951, Pixel the Cat and George Anderson. Harddaysknight is my mentor and gives me a read and critical review. SBrooks103x also gives me a pre-post read. Thank you all so much; I love you.

Because several have asked, and I wanted to, this is a repost of a story that is no longer on the site. If you have read it, thank you, you need not vote or comment. If not, I hope you enjoy. Randi.

*****

Sydney was just ten miles from home when her day went suddenly south. She had Mumford and Sons on the stereo and she was singing her heart out. It had been a long drive and a long day. She felt like she had signed a million books and she saw the sign: Pensacola, 10 miles. There was something in the road ahead. It looked like an animal. As she got closer she noticed the familiar sight of a dead armadillo. It was right in the middle of her lane and she was meeting a car. There was nowhere to go so she just straddled it with her car. There was a horrible thump and she thought that she was glad it was already dead. She hated to hit animals! When she heard the ominous thump, thump, thump, she revised her thoughts.

"Stupid armadillo," she thought. "If that thing tore up my car I'm going back to run it over again!"

She thought for a few minutes that it had become hung under her car, but the thumping didn't go away. She sighed and turned off the music. There was a wide shoulder ahead and she pulled off. Sydney loved her car. She had a two year old Dodge Charger RTS8; black with the big supercharged hemi. She took meticulous care of it, and now she was worried. She got out and knelt beside it, looking under it to see if she could detect anything hanging down. The asphalt hurt her bare knees and it was very hot. She couldn't see anything. She had roadside assistance on her insurance policy and she was looking for the number on her card when she heard the noise of a diesel engine pull up behind her and shut down.

She looked out and saw a red pickup truck with some sort of logo on the side. It was pulling a trailer that had what looked like steel beams on it. A huge man got out. He had red hair and a red beard and he looked very intimidating. She thought about getting her tazer out, but he was probably just being helpful. She got out and stood up. He stopped at the back of her car. That reassured her a little and she smiled at him.

"Hey, little lady, are you having problems with your car?" he asked.

His voice was the deepest she had ever heard. She imagined that if a bear could speak, this was what it would sound like. She was still a little uncertain and he sensed that she was afraid of him.

"I know I look scary," he told her. "I won't come any closer. Is everything okay?"

She laughed nervously. "No, I hit a stupid armadillo back there and now my car is making this thumping sound!"

"You want me to take a look?" he asked.

"I'd appreciate it very much," she told him.

"You get back in and lock your door so you feel safe," he told her. "Where is the sound coming from?"

"From the front," she said.

"Okay, I'll just take a look. You get back in now."

She slid back in gratefully and locked the door. He seemed like a really nice guy. He was just so big!

He walked past the door and she saw him disappear down in front. He was down there for a couple of minutes before he stood back up. He motioned for her to roll her window down.

"There's a plastic shield apron torn loose under your car," he called. "It isn't a big deal, but it's noisy because it's vibrating in the wind from you driving. It's rubbed on the pavement a little and you're going to have to replace it. It's a dumb design. I'll get some duct-tape and tape it back up so you can drive it. Where are you going?"

"Pensacola," she told him. "I live there."

"Me, too," he told her. "We'll just tape it up and I'll follow you to your exit to make sure you get there."

"Thank you so much," she said. "I was just about to call a tow truck."

"No need for that," he laughed. "I'll fix you up temporarily. You can get home and get it fixed tomorrow."

He went back to his truck and came back with a roll of duct-tape. He disappeared again and she made up her mind and got out. She walked around and watched him.

"Decided I'm harmless?" he chuckled.

"Yes. You're too nice to be afraid of," she said. "What's your name?"

"Logan," he told her. "Logan Thomas. You got a name?"

"It's Sydney Tate," she told him.

"That's a pretty name for a pretty girl," he said.

He stripped tape off and stuck it up under her car. He did it a dozen times and wiggled out. When he stood up she realized just how big he was.

"You're a big guy, Logan," she told him.

"I get that a lot," he laughed. "You're a pretty tall girl yourself, Sydney."

"Not next to you," she said. "Logan, I want to pay you for stopping to help me."

"Now you're going to make me mad," he told her. "See this red hair? That means I've got quite a temper, so we'll just forget you said that."

"I feel like I owe you," she said.

"You don't, but I'll let you buy me a cup of coffee," he said.

"Okay," she said. "There's a Starbuck's at my exit. I'll get you a cup of good coffee."

"It's a deal." He held out a big hand that looked like a shovel to Sydney. He noticed that it was black and grimy from being under her car and he drew it back with a laugh. "Don't guess you want that on you."

"Well, it shows a lot more on you than it would me." She smiled.

"You mean on account of I'm so white and you're not?" he grinned.

"Exactly," she said.

"Well, I suppose they have a restroom at Starbuck's, and I'll just wash up. You ready?"

She was and they got back in their vehicles. She pulled out and he pulled in behind her. She breathed a sigh of relief when the thumping sound made no appearance. She kept to the speed limit and when she came to her exit he pulled off, too. He had to park in the back of the lot to find a place for his trailer, and she waited for him. They walked in together and he went away to the restroom to wash his hands.

She ordered herself a cappuccino and when he got back he ordered a triple espresso. She paid and they took their cups to a booth. She had never heard anyone order a triple espresso before and she was intrigued.

"What does that taste like?" she asked.

He offered her his cup and she sipped a little. It made her shiver and he laughed. "It's an acquired taste," he laughed. "Lots of long hours cramming for tests at the last minute."

"Why didn't you study earlier?" she asked.

"Well, two reasons," he said. "I'm a procrastinator, and there was always practice or a game that got in the way."

"Football?" she guessed.

"Volleyball," he said.

She gaped at him and he burst out laughing. "Yes, football. I got you there, Sydney."

She laughed. "I just thought I was sitting across the table from the biggest liar in Florida! You are tall enough though. Do you know; I actually did play volleyball in college?"

"I believe it," he said. "You look very athletic."

"Thanks," she smiled at him. "Thank you for helping me, too."

"It was my pleasure," he told her. "I'm very glad to meet you Sydney."

"So, what do you do?" she asked him. "I saw metal beams on your trailer."

"That's what I do; metal," he told her. "I build metal buildings. I sell metal to people that are builders or people who want to build their own building. Anything metal, I've got it. You don't need a metal building do you, Sydney?"

"Would you build me a garage?" she asked. "I just have a carport and I'd like a garage to keep my car in."

"That's pretty small for me," he told her, "but we're friends, right? Sure, I'll build you a garage."

"How much would it cost?" she asked.

"I'll build it for cost," he told her. "You pay my guy's labor and I'll charge you what the metal costs me."

"Can you afford to do that?" she asked.

"Yes, I can. Can you afford the metal?"

"Is it really expensive?" she asked.

"No, it's the cheapest garage you can build," he said. "Are you on a tight budget?"

"No, I just signed a pretty good book deal," she said. "This is my third book and I'm selling a lot of them."

"You're a writer!" he exclaimed. "How cool is that? Will you give me one of your books?"

"I'll even sign it for you," she said. "It should be worth at least, say, $29.99!"

They both laughed for a long time. "Well, I know a famous author," he said.

"Yes and I know a guy that's a whizz with duct-tape," she giggled. "He's also a very nice guy. You were pretty scary when I first saw you, Logan."

"Yeah, but I'm a gentle giant," he said. "That was always my problem in football. I just wasn't mean enough unless someone pissed me off. I really do have a temper; it just takes a lot to get me going."

She shivered. "I wouldn't like to see that. I can imagine. Listen, Logan. I've got to get home. Will you give me your number so I can call you about the garage?"

He gave her a business card. "Husband anxiously waiting?" he asked.

"No, I'm not married," she said. "I do have a boyfriend though. He isn't waiting or anything. We don't live together or anything like that. Why am I telling you this?"

"I have an extraordinarily honest face," he said. "People find themselves telling me things."

"I'll bet," she said. "We'll see how honest you are when I get the bill for the garage. Will I see you there?"

"I doubt it, Sydney; I've got a couple of big jobs going. This is kind of going to be a when I get around to it thing. I have a pretty tight schedule but I'll work it in, I promise."

They stood up and he walked her to her car. She hugged him. "Thanks again for helping me, Logan."

"You're quite welcome. Call me about that garage."

He went to his truck and she drove home. She felt a little odd. She thought about him a lot as she was getting ready for bed. He was a very unusual guy and she realized that she wanted to know more about him. That was very unusual for her. Sydney usually had men swirling around her and she never had any trouble attracting the one she wanted. She looked at herself in the mirror. She was tall and slender with just the right amount of plush to her to make her look very sexy. Her skin was a light brown color, just darker than deeply tanned white people would be. Her eyes were very dark brown, almost black, and they were very large and liquid looking. Her nose was aquiline and her mouth was an upside down Cupid's bow. She let her gaze wander down and she could see her full breasts under her camisole. Her nipples were a little erect, making small nubs under the silk and her waist was tiny. Her hips flared and she had a small tight little butt in her silk panties.

She giggled to herself, thinking what a narcissist she was; admiring herself in the mirror like that. It was Logan's fault! He had made her think like that. When she had asked him if he would be working on her garage she had been hoping he would say yes. When he didn't, it was a bit of a shock to her. Most guys she knew would have said yes just to see her again. Maybe he was married! She hadn't thought about that. Maybe he had a lover and he wasn't interested in other girls. She imagined he would be very loyal if that were the case. He didn't seem like he was gay, so maybe that was it.

She shook her head. She had a boyfriend. She was a little dissatisfied with him, though. He was a corporate lawyer and he just seemed a little disingenuous to her, as if there was a shell around him she was never able to get through. They had been dating for six months, and she didn't feel like she knew him any better than she had after their third date. He was very good looking and the sex had been great, at first, but she was finding it harder and harder to get excited about seeing him. She decided she needed to break up with him. Maybe not right away, but unless something changed, she didn't see a future there. She went to bed and read for a while until she was yawning and the words on her screen were blurring. She turned off her light and drifted off. The last thing she thought about was she wondered where Logan lived.

She had a busy day the next day, and it was complicated by the fact that her car was in the shop. She had to take Uber and she hated it. The music her driver played was mad annoying. She went out with Ronald that evening and the conversation was lackluster. She remembered how many times Logan had made her laugh over a cup of coffee and she sighed. Ronald wanted to come home with her but she told him she wasn't feeling it. He was a little angry, but she didn't care. She went home and got Logan's card out of her purse. She decided she would go and get her car tomorrow and go to his office.

The car turned out not to be a big deal, just like he told her, and she drove to the address on his card. There was a large sign that said "Pensacola Supply" over the drive, and she was very impressed when she pulled in. There were two huge metal buildings and the grounds must have covered twenty acres. There was metal fencing, rebar in a hundred sizes, wire of all conceivable sizes, shapes and types and fork lifts and utility trucks were everywhere.

When she walked into the office there were half a dozen friendly young people inside who asked her if they could help her. She told them she wanted to see Logan and one beautiful young blonde told her he was in a meeting. She asked if she could wait and the young woman, her name was Julie, got her a cup of coffee. She stirred in cream and sugar and she was almost finished when Julie came to get her.

"Mr. Thomas can see you now," she said. "It's going to have to be quick, though. He has another meeting with a contractor in ten minutes."

Julie led her up the stairs and to the end of a hall. There was art on the walls and it didn't look commercial. The carpet was nice and Julie knocked on the door. She stuck in her head.

"Someone to see you, Logan. I think it's personal. She doesn't smell like a contractor."

She heard his deep bass chuckle and Julie showed her in. His jaw dropped a little when he saw Sydney. He jumped up and came around his desk to pull her up a chair.

"My God! It's Sydney! Hey pretty lady, what are you doing here?"

"Well," Sydney blushed a little. She didn't know if he could tell, but she rebuked herself sternly. She wasn't some sophomore! "I need a garage and I was told you might be my guy."

"Well, hell, who told you that?" he pretended astonishment. "I only build skyscrapers!"

She laughed. "Looking at your place here I believe that, Logan. You didn't tell me you were a tycoon."

That tickled him. "Hey, Sydney; I have an idea," he said. "I've got one more meeting this morning. I'll give her the brush-off. I don't like her anyway. Then I'll take you to lunch. Would you hang out for twenty minutes or so? I promise I won't take long. I'll make Julie entertain you."

"Don't do that," she said. "I'm sure she has something to do. I'll just get another cup of coffee and read a magazine or something. Where will you take me?"

"Do you eat meat?" he asked.

"Yes, do I look like I wouldn't?"

"Well, no; but you never know. I'll take you to the Tin Cow."

"I've never heard of it."

"You're in for a treat then. They have the best burgers in town. They have all kinds of high end bar food. I can't eat there very often, but when a friend shows up you don't worry about your waistline, right?"

She looked at his belly. He didn't look fat at all, just huge all over.

"You don't look like you have a problem with your waistline," she said.

"Well, looks are deceiving," he chuckled. "If I ate like I want to and was as lazy as I want to be, I'd be as fat as a toad in a month. This sculpted body is the result of constant work."

Julie stuck her head in. "Your 11:30 is here."

"Thanks, Jules. Show her back," he said.

Sydney got up and Julie took her back to the office. She pulled up a chair for Sydney next to her desk and got her another cup of coffee.

"How do you know Logan?" she asked.

"I had car trouble and he stopped to help me. I don't really know him very well," Sydney told her. "I think I'd like to, though."

"Yeah, me, too," Julie said. "I've been working for him since I got out of high school. My brother is a friend of his and he got me the job. What do you do, Sydney?"

"I'm a writer," she said. "I'm kind of new at it. I've only sold three books."

"Wow! I'll buy one if you'll tell me the titles."

Sydney gave her a card with her titles on it. They heard an angry voice coming down the stairs.

"I'll get it from someone else then! Jesus, Thomas, you act like you don't care if we do business or not!"

They heard Logan's deep rumble. "You don't give me the choice. I bid the job, you don't like my bid. That's okay. You think you can get the same quality somewhere else? That's your choice. I fixed the last job you gave someone else and it was a hell of a mess. It cost me money to do it. I run a business here, not a charity."

"We'll see!" An angry woman stalked past and Logan came down the stairs a few minutes later.

"Haven't you ever heard the customer is always right?" Sydney asked him.

"Not this time," he said. "She called me and she was in a jam. She got some fly by night outfit to put up a building and the inspectors wouldn't pass it. She was losing money every day and I went in and fixed it. Now she wants to do the same thing again. I told her I wasn't interested in cleaning up someone else's mess. If she wants me she should give me the job at my rates to begin with. I've spent enough time with her. Jules, I don't know when I'll be back. Cover for me."

Sydney drove and they went to the Tin Cow. She loved the place and she loved the conversation with Logan. He was very interested in everything about her. He asked about her books and she was surprised to discover that he had read one. She was writing a new novel and he asked her all about it. By the time they were through eating she realized that she still didn't know anything about him. The entire conversation had been about her. This was very unusual in her experience. Most guys she went out with couldn't talk about anything but themselves. She couldn't remember the last time Ronald had asked her a question about her life. His conversation was all about his life.

"Logan, tell me something about you," she said.

"I'm not very interesting," he told her. "I'd rather talk about you."

"That's all we've talked about," she said.

"What do you want to know?" he asked.

"Well, are you married?" she asked.

He held up his big left hand. There was no ring.

"Are you in a relationship?" she asked.

"No, not unless you're going to ask me out," he laughed. "I date, but I haven't met the right girl, I guess."

"What kind of girl would be the right girl?"

"I don't know," he said. "Honestly, I'm not worried about it. I like my life the way it is. If it happens, I'm fine with that but I'm not desperately longing for anything. Tell me about your boyfriend."

"He's an attorney," she said. "Sometimes that's all I think he is. I'm beginning to think his job defines him. It's all he ever talks about. I'm thinking about dumping him. I'm beginning to think I haven't met the right person either. I admire you, Logan. I seem to go from one relationship to another and they're all the same. The guys I've had relationships with don't seem to have lives. They're all about one thing."

"Uh-oh," he said. "Well, I can see why they're like that. You have to know you're smoking hot, Sydney!"

"No, dummy," she laughed. "Not sex. It's different things. They're all about their job or some sport or music or something. They aren't complete people. Sometimes it's partying or it could be cars or boats. They don't seem to have enough depth to be real people. Maybe I should just be like you. If it happens, it happens. I shouldn't go looking for it."