Average Joe Ch. 05

Story Info
Joe meets Ariel. He's all confused on what to do.
4.9k words
4.64
56.9k
21

Part 5 of the 7 part series

Updated 10/25/2022
Created 05/12/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DG Hear
DG Hear
5,691 Followers

Chapter 5: Still looking for the right woman

Life was pretty much back to normal only I was now an adult. My first night back to work I saw Linda in the morning. She laughed when she saw me.

"Sorry about Sylvia. I heard Earl came home early."

"Why didn't you tell me she was married, I could have gotten beaten up."

"She plays around a lot on Earl. I just thought you might like to get laid on your birthday. According to Sylvia you did, you just had a quick exit. How did you get home?"

"A police officer saw me walking and stopped me and asked to see my driver's license. I told him it was my birthday and I didn't want to drink and drive. I did say my ride home found a woman he wanted to have sex with and I didn't want to be a third wheel. The officers were nice enough and drove me home."

"I'm sorry Joey, can I make it up to you?"

"No, you have a boyfriend now. I'm staying away from married women and those in relationships. I'm a lover, not a fighter." With that said I headed for home.

It was now May and the school year was coming to a close. I saw Mary and Nancy getting in the car. Mary told me that her son, Robert had called and said he was going to open the pool on Saturday and was wondering if I would help him. He told Mary he liked me and I was a good worker and on time unlike his sister and her husband. It made me laugh.

I told her I would be glad to help and just to let me know what time. They went on to school and I headed up to my apartment for a good days sleep.

After getting home on Saturday morning I lay down for a few hours. I set my clock so I could get up and help Robert open the pool. He really seemed like a nice guy and always concerned about his mother. He was glad that she met Henry and had a man in her life. He might not have liked me so much if he ever found out I had been intimate with his mother.

I had to laugh to myself when he said, "That's probably why she was so happy at the time we closed down the pool. I hadn't seen her that happy for a long time."

Her dating Henry wasn't for a few months after we were together. I still missed being with her but we are still good friends and she is my landlady.

I met Robert in the back yard and he explained to me what all we had to do to get the pool up and running. When I asked him if Kim and Larry were coming over to help he just laughed.

"They're always late. They will be here this afternoon for a family barbeque. I figured we would be finished before they even showed up. By the way, if mom forgot to mention it, you're invited to the barbeque."

We worked hard taking off the winter cover and hooking up all the pipes and filters. Before we knew it we were adding water to the pool. Robert said it would be about two days before it would be warm enough to swim in. We did put on a solar cover to help heat it up.

Just about the time we were finished and were putting the winter cover away Kim and Larry showed up. Robert just laughed.

"Why didn't you wait for us and Larry could have helped you?" replied Kim.

"You know me Kim, I like to just get things done. You and Larry can do the grilling today," Robert looked over at me and smiled.

Mary came out and said, "Joey, I'm sorry, I forgot to tell you about the cookout. You are coming and I won't take no for an answer."

Robert looked over at me with a grin and I looked at Mary and said, "Yes Mom!" We all laughed. They were like a family to me. They have never treated me like an outsider. I wish there were more people in the world like them.

I went up to my apartment and cleaned up. Robert and Larry were setting up the barbeque grill. I noticed some other people arriving that I didn't know. Henry had come and he and Nancy were setting up chairs in the back yard.

When I went downstairs Larry had begun grilling steaks and burgers. An older man came out and Robert introduced him as his Uncle Lee. He told me he was one of Mary's brothers.

"Nice to meet you Sir. I'm Joey, I'm renting Robert's old apartment."

"Mary has mentioned you. She says you're almost like a second son to her. Why don't you go inside and introduce yourself to my wife Claire and daughter Ariel. They've been wanting to meet you."

When I stepped into the kitchen Mary introduced me to Claire. I walked in the living room and Nancy said, "There you are! Joey, this is Ariel, my favorite cousin. Ariel this is Joey my second brother," she laughed.

"Nice to meet you Ariel," I must have been thinking about the name and it must have showed.

"I wasn't named after the mermaid," Ariel said and was smiling.

"I wasn't thinking of the cartoon character but the daughter on the TV show 'Medium.' Only I think you're much prettier. God I'm sorry, I wasn't hitting on you I was just being honest."

Both girls laughed. "Joey's a bit on the timid side," said Nancy.

"Thank you for the compliment Joey. I appreciate it," replied Ariel.

I was nervous now and not sure what to do or say. "Maybe we can talk later," I said. "I think I'll go help Larry and Robert, outside." I smiled and headed out the back door.

Damn! She was so pretty and young. I wondered how old she was. I figured maybe Robert would tell me about her.

When I stepped outside Robert handed me a beer. "So, did you meet Ariel?" asked Robert.

"Yes, she seems really nice. How old is she?" I asked.

Robert had a grin on his face. "Ok, Joey, on a scale of one to ten how would you rate her looks?"

"Umm, Robert I don't think it's a fair question. I just met her." He could tell I was nervous.

"Joey, you're a guy. We all rate women in our mind, it's an automatic thought. I always thought Ariel was a good looking girl, too bad she is my younger cousin. We are a loving family and Ariel has always been a sweetie. So how would you rate her looks?"

I shook my head. "Robert, she's at least a twelve in my book."

Robert laughed when I said that. "Just so you know Joey, I know she looks like a teenager but she's twenty-two."

"What! You've got to be kidding. She's so damn cute. I'm sorry Robert, I didn't mean to swear but she's the prettiest girl I've seen in a long time. How come I haven't met her before?"

"She's been away at college. She has one month to go before she graduates. She has been going the year around so she can finish sooner."

"What courses has she been taking? You have the smartest family I know. Everyone seems to be a professional something. Mary said her brother was a pharmacist, it that Lee?"

"Yes, Uncle Lee is a pharmacist. Aunt Claire is a teacher so Ariel gets her brains honestly. She's in the nursing program at State. She works part-time in the hospital as part of her education. After graduation she is promised a job at one of the local clinics. She really is intelligent. You need to go talk to her, hell, you're close to the same age."

"Robert, I'm afraid she's out of my league. Girls like her don't usually talk to guys like me."

"Bullshit, you just need confidence. Believe me Ariel is a great person and a good judge of character. She hates phonies and I'm sure you're not one."

"Robert, how come you haven't gotten married yet?" I asked.

"Haven't met the right woman. I've been out with a lot of women and have a pretty good life. I figure someday I might meet the right woman. I just let nature take its course. I have been dating a woman at work but I'm not ready to introduce her to mom yet."

Henry's kids showed up to meet Mary's family. Everyone seemed so nice. I thought I would hate Henry for taking Mary away from me but he was a really good person. Even his kids talked with me. I felt like part of a big happy family.

I was sitting outside at one of the tables eating when Ariel came over and asked to join me. Needless to say, I said yes. The more I looked at her the prettier she seemed to get. A blond ponytail, dimples that showed every time she smiled and by what I could see she must work out. I did my best not to stare at her body.

"So tell me about yourself," said Ariel.

"What do you want to know. Where I grew up, went to school, where I work?"

"Anything you want to tell me. My cousins and Aunt Mary seem to really like you. Believe me when I say they don't take to just anyone. Don't get me wrong, they treat everybody great but they treat you like family, it perked my interest."

"So what are you going to tell me about yourself. We need a two sided conversation here," I replied.

"Sounds fair, I tell you whatever you want to know," said Ariel.

I went first and told her about my family being in the accident. She had tears in her eyes and grabbed my hand and held on to me for a few minutes. I explained how I was raised by my aunt and uncle and went on my own after I graduated.

I even told her about my paper routes and working at the supermarket. I explained how I was put on permanently and really enjoyed my job. I never went into my love life.

"Ok, your turn, tell me about yourself."

She told me a short version of her life.

"I'm the youngest of the kids in our family. I have two brothers who went to college and have since moved away. They are both professional people and are married with families. I guess I'm overly spoiled being the only daughter and also the youngest.

"I've had a pretty easy life but a good one. My parents have been over protective of me but that's how it is when you're a girl and the youngest. I've been raised by wonderful parents who taught me to treat everyone with respect. I try to do that but it's not always easy. There are some real jerks out there."

I looked at her and she seemed so nice. She was short, probably five feet tall and the shape of a teenage cheerleader. It was hard to believe she was twenty-two.

"Would you like to go for a walk and finish telling me about yourself? I feel a little jittery just sitting here," I asked.

"Sure, I'll let mom know so they won't wonder where we are." She came back out and said, "Ready to go."

"Do you always tell you parents where you're going?" I asked.

"I do when I'm home. It's common courtesy, I don't need permission."

As we walked she continued her story about her life.

"I've always liked school. I joined about everything I could. In high school I sang in choir, played soft ball and volleyball. I belonged to a number of clubs, like the Spanish club, and even the chess club among others. I liked taking part in activities.

"I was a cheerleader in both high school and college. I guess it was my way of exercising. It was a lot harder than it looks. It's more than just jumping up and down."

"I take it you were rather popular in school. I was just an average kid, I didn't play sports. I'm just not that much of an athlete."

"I don't like to brag so please don't see me that way. I'm just telling you about myself because you asked. Yes, I was popular and home coming queen my senior year in high school."

"I did receive some scholastic scholarships that help pay for my college tuition. Mom and Dad picked up the remainder of the tuition. I'm getting a nursing degree next month and will be working at the Wilshire clinic after that, so I will be living at home."

God, talk about complete opposites. I was almost sad walking with her. It was one of those times where I could fall in love just talking to a woman I could never be with. She had it all together, knew what she wanted and went after it.

"What's the matter Joey? Is something wrong? Did I say something to upset you? I know I talk too much but it's in my personality."

"No, it's not you, you're everything a man dreams about. Let me say you have it going on, you have it all together. I was just thinking about how opposite we are."

We headed back to the house. The barbeque was breaking up and everyone was saying their goodbyes. I had said goodbye to everyone but Ariel. She pulled me aside and asked me if I would do her a favor.

"Me, do you a favor? What do you need?" I asked.

"Ok, I know this is sudden and I understand if you say no."

"Come-on Ariel, what is it you want?" She was beautiful, but could she ever talk.

"I broke up with my boyfriend a couple of weeks ago. I have a wedding to go to next Saturday and I need a escort. I would feel funny going by myself. One of my college girlfriends is getting married. Would you go with me?"

"You want me to take you to a wedding, as your date?"

"Of course as my date. What else would you go as, my driver?" she asked.

"Please tell me what this is all about. Women like you don't date guys like me?"

"What kind of person do you think I am? It just so happens I kind of like you. I had a boyfriend, it didn't work out and we broke up. I'm going to the wedding of a good friend and would like you to go with me. Are you going or not? I'm not going to beg you."

Wow, she has a little temper too. "I'm sorry Ariel, I totally misjudged you. It would be an honor to escort you to the wedding."

"Thank you, the wedding is at one, followed by the reception. Thank you," she said and kissed me on the cheek.

After everyone left I had to talk with Mary. I needed some help.

"Joey, I hear Ariel asked you out," Mary said.

"Mary, I don't own a suit. Could we go shopping and you help me pick out something?"

"I'd like to Joey, but I have this mess to clean up. I can go if you can wait till tomorrow."

"I'll take you," said Nancy, "but it will cost you lunch."

Mary laughed, "Nancy will help you Joey. She knows how to spend money."

So that's what happened. Nancy helped me pick out a suit, dress shirt and tie. I also needed a pair of dress shoes. Afterwards we took in a movie and had lunch. She really seemed like a little sister. Whenever we were together I often thought of the little sister I had lost and the things we might have done together.

They had to alter my suit and I would pick it up a couple of days later. I had to admit I really felt good about this. I've never been out with a beautiful girl like Ariel near my own age. I was really excited about it.

On Thursday, I had a message on my answering machine. It was from Ariel, she said she needed to talk to me. Of course I expected the worst. I figured she went back with her old boyfriend, Brian, and he was taking her to the wedding. My stomach just sank.

I dialed her number and her mom answered. "Claire, this is Joey, Ariel asked me to call."

"Oh, hi Joey, one second, I'll get her." It was only a few seconds but it felt like I was waiting for minutes.

"Hello, Joey,"

"Hi, you asked me to call?" I tried not to sound too rejected.

"Yes, I never gave you my address and to let you know exactly what time to pick me up. Joey, are you there?" I was busy taking a deep breath.

"I'm sorry, yes I'm here." I didn't want to tell her I was expecting to be dumped. "I've got a piece of paper and a pencil."

She gave me the information and said she couldn't wait to see me and go to the wedding. I told her I couldn't wait either.

"Nancy called me and said she helped you pick out a suit and you took her to the movies. I'm sorry you had to buy a suit for the wedding."

"No problem, I should have had one for special occasions anyway. I really can't wait to see you again."

"Well, you have to wait till Saturday, and thank you for doing me this favor."

"Favor? You got to be kidding. I'm more than happy to oblige."

We hung up and I felt great again. I had dinner with Mary and Nancy. They told me more about Ariel. The more they told me the more I felt I was falling in love.

"Joey, Ariel's my niece, so I expect you to treat her with respect. She's used to getting her own way but you don't need to always agree with her."

"I understand. It's just that we seem like complete opposites. I don't know if we have anything in common."

"You're both nice, you are adults and I'm sure you'll find some common ground. Are you a good dancer? There will be dancing at the wedding."

"I do ok, I don't dance all that often."

"Nancy, do you have a minute, I need a favor," said Mary.

"What is it Mom?" asked Nancy.

"Bring in your CD player and show Joey some of the latest dance steps."

"Mary, I think I'll do fine."

Nancy came in with her music playing. The little gal could do just about anything. She showed me some line dancing steps. She said that's what they do a lot of at weddings. I found it to be rather easy to learn. She put on a Macarena song and showed me how to do it. She said it was popular at wedding also.

I was having fun with Nancy, Mary and even Henry, all of us line dancing to these songs. I even think I did better than Henry. I have to admit Nancy was a little sweetie. She would be a heartbreaker someday. Maybe it was me but I saw so much of Ariel in her.

Before leaving to pick up Ariel, Mary and Nancy wanted to see how I looked. I felt a little self conscious but they both side I looked handsome. I had to laugh when Mary said to bad I wasn't thirty years older and Nancy said to bad she wasn't five years older. I hugged them both and headed to Ariel's house to pick her up.

They sure lived in a nice neighborhood. It was in the upscale part of town. I had to ask myself what I was doing there? I knocked on the door and Ariel answered it.

"Wow, you look great," was all I could say.

"You clean up pretty good yourself," she said to me.

To explain how she looked I would have to say, not like a sex diva but more like an angel dressed in a light blue dress. Her blonde hair fell in large curls around her face and down to her shoulders. He body looked, 'Damn' , let's just say she looked beautiful.

We got in my car. I tried to remember all my manners and opened the door for her. As we entered the church she was saying hi to most everyone. There were dozens of students from the college plus the relatives of the bride and groom and Ariel knew both families.

She introduced me to most everyone she talked to. I felt a little self conscious when she kissed and hugged so many people. It was only on the cheek but I wasn't sure what to do. I generally said hi and shook hands.

The wedding started and I sat there listening to the vows. Somewhere along the line, I don't know when but I took Ariel's hand and held it through most of the service. She held my hand in her lap. I pictured it being me and Ariel getting married.

After the service we headed to the reception hall. There must have been a couple of hundred people. We sat at a table with two other couples who were friends of Ariel's. To be honest, I felt out of place. These were either students or college graduates. They asked me if I was a student and I told them "no, that I worked at the supermarket."

I knew it had them wondering how it was that I was with one of the most popular women in their college. The next question was how did I know Ariel? I wasn't quite sure what to say.

Ariel knew I was on the timid side and told them, "Hey, why the third degree. He's my friend and a friend of my family. As of right now he's not my boyfriend or lover so you guys don't have to wonder. Of course, things can change."

The music started and she asked me if I wanted to dance. "Thank you for helping me out. I wasn't sure what to say and didn't want to embarrass you. After all I do work in the supermarket, not exactly brain surgery."

"Joey, you don't need to be ashamed of who you are or what you do for a living. If someone can't accept that, then screw them. You're a good looking, warm, wonderful guy or I wouldn't be here with you."

We danced a couple of slow dances and she felt and smelled so good. I did my best to not try and get fresh with her. I held her close but I hoped not too close.

We went back to the table and her friends seem to accept me a little better now. It still bothered me when all these different guys would come up and kiss her on the cheek or hug her. She even danced with a few.

DG Hear
DG Hear
5,691 Followers
12