Backwater Blues

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"That was where you made your mistake. If you had dug into my background you would have realised that I have never fitted someone up for a crime that he did not commit. I have to admit that, in this case I was tempted, but, much as I disliked the bastard and what he had done to me all of those years ago, and recently, I just couldn't do it. You set out to be judge, jury and executioner in this matter, and that didn't sit well with me. You left me with no option."

"I have an alternative for you."

"Be prepared to be disappointed. Go on."

"I am looking for an investigator, someone who can carry out investigations outside the parameters of the rules governing police investigations. The job is yours and the salary will be at the Chief Inspector level. All you have to do is to say yes, and you can start tomorrow."

"I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm happy with my life right now. I have a career in music that I love, I have a roof over my head that more than satisfies my meagre needs, I have a woman that I love and intend to spend the rest of my life with, and I have a cat that I love and that tolerates me. What more can I say, I am happy not getting involved with police work, or any other kind of investigative career."

"I see. I guess that I'll just have to play my trump card. How well do you know Susan Sweetman?"

"What do you mean?"

"Just that, how well do you know her? Do you know what she does when she's not with you? Do you know where she gets the money necessary to lead the lifestyle that she enjoys? Just how well do you know her?"

"From what you are suggesting, obviously not well at all. Up until now, her life when she was away from me was her life. I did not interfere with that, at least not since she assured me that there was no other man in her life."

"And what has changed that?"

"She has moved in with me, we are now officially shacked up together, joined at the hip so to speak. She will have no life other than with me."

"You are confident of that, but when she goes to work, do you know where she goes?"

"You make it sound as if I will not be happy with that knowledge. I can see that you're itching to tell me, so go ahead, and do your worst."

"I'll let her tell you herself." He pushed a button on the phone gizmo on his desk. "Miss Sweetman, would you step in here please."

What the fuck? Susie works for him? She slid through the door and glided with feline grace to me and, before I had a chance to say anything, planted a kiss on my lips that went on forever. At the end of forever she released my mouth and whispered into it, "Hi lover, surprised?"

"No, I'm not surprised." This brought a surprised look from both of them. "I'm fucking struck dumb. How long have you worked here?"

"Ten years." I was struck even dumber, how did I not know this? Because it never occurred to me to ask, that's how.

"Susan has been my Executive Assistant for the ten years since I became Commissioner, and it was me that brought the two of you together, you can thank me later. When her ex-boyfriend left her friendless, and with no money, she came to me for advice about who would be the best person to find both him and her money. I suggested you because I had been following your career ever since you resigned from the force. I knew why you did it, and the reason that I didn't try to stop you was that you were too good, and too honest to stay a cop. Getting back to the present, you two will be working closely together, that is if you decide now to accept my offer of a job." He didn't have to ask the question again, he already knew the answer because Susie was kissing me again.

Cut to sound of throat being cleared. "When you two have quite finished, we still have a problem on our hands. How do I get out of this unscathed?"

"Whatever way we go, you will still have to live with your conscience."

"I'm aware of that. Do you have any suggestions?"

"We could make Jonas an offer that he can't refuse."

"Go on, I'm listening."

"At the moment public opinion has already convicted him of Tanya's death. I am sure that, if you were to offer him sufficient financial inducements, he would disappear suddenly, leaving the case unsolved. If you were to suggest he relocate to somewhere in South-East Asia where there is an abundance of sexual action to be had at an affordable price, he would be happy as a pig in shit. As long as he sticks to adult pussy and doesn't run foul of child exploitation, he can live out his life in peace."

"I think I can live with that."

It was a good thing that Susie and I loved each other, and couldn't bear to spend time apart, because we worked together, we made music together, not an easy task because blues presupposes some sort of mental angst, and we made love together. Sheldon had accepted the fact that, to get a good night's sleep, he was better off on the couch.