Behind Blue Eyes

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"We support each other, take care of each other, and worry about each other. We should never turn our backs on those who are part of our community. It's not an easy journey, to get to a place where you forgive someone who hurt you. But it's such a powerful place because it frees you," Marcus looked at Janice. "It takes a strong person to say sorry, and even a stronger person to forgive."

Marcus looked at the crowd and hugged a weeping Janice.

Reverend Marsden came closer, cleared his throat, and boomed, "Mr. Carter is right, Janice did a truly brave thing today. She confessed her sins in front of God and all of us, her extended family, and asked for forgiveness. I know for sure God has forgiven her, what about the rest of you?"

Most of the people in church stepped up and shook Janice's hand, including Red Harding and his wife.

CHAPTER 24

At the end of the service, Reverend Marsden was busy greeting his flock on the church steps.

"You were awesome, Mom," Benji said, squeezing Janice's hand as they walked up the aisle.

"I wouldn't call it awesome, embarrassing myself in front of the whole town. I did enjoy the sermon. It was as if Reverend Marsden was speaking directly to me."

"You're a brave woman, Janice Cooper. I want you to know how much I admire your strength." Robert said. "That old man was right, it took guts to do what you did."

"Or outright stupidity," Janice laughed. "By the way, don't let Marcus hear you calling him 'old man'."

"Noted," Robert said and moved his head to the side and held Janice's hand in his. "You're very brave and very special. Benji is blessed to have known your unconditional love."

Janice's cheeks flushed with embarrassment.

Reverend Marsden shook Janice's hand when they came out of the temple. "I hope you enjoyed the service, Janice."

"I did, Reverend. The band's performance was really good," Janice said. "You have a rare gift for speaking to the heart."

"May I expect to see you next Sunday, Janice?"

"You may," she said with a smile.

"That's really good news." Reverend Marsden's smile got bigger. He turned around to face Robert. "What has brought you back to Middletown, Mr. Campbell?"

"A plane and a rented car," Robert grinned.

They all laughed.

"My son and I came to spend Thanksgiving with Janice as a family. This Thanksgiving will be the first time our family is together for a holiday," Robert said, looking at Janice.

"Rain and Rolf are joining us, too," Janice explained.

Reverend Marsden nodded. "Family is an important thing to us all as Marcus reminded us. How long are you planning to be in town, Mr. Campbell?"

"I guess that depends," Robert said without taking his eyes off Janice.

Janice tilted her head to the side and looked at Robert not knowing what to expect.

"I'm trying to convince him to stick around for good," Benji said with a giggle. "I like Middletown better than New York."

"What about your school? What about your friends?" Janice asked her son.

"I don't like going to a private school. Nothing there but a bunch of stuck-up snobs," Benji explained, winking at Rain. She winked back at him.

Robert smiled and ruffled his son's hair. "Benji can be mighty persuasive when he sets his mind to something. By the way, where did you learn the words 'stuck-up snobs.'"

"Aunt Rain," the boy confessed.

Rain gave Benji the thumbs up.

"Oh, boy, now we know who's going to spoil him," Janice laughed, shaking her head.

"Dad has been talking with Mr. Ronan," Benji said, trying to divert attention from him.

"The town's lawyer?" Janice's eyes widened in surprise. She couldn't believe her ears.

Robert nodded.

"I heard Dr. Ronan is thinking about retiring. He has been serving as the town's lawyer for thirty-one years," Reverend Marsden chimed in.

Janice ignored him and asked Robert, "Are you thinking about taking a job locally?"

Robert looked at Janice and nodded. "I am. I've been talking with the mayor, and there wouldn't be any obstacles to hiring me to be the town's new lawyer."

"Wow!" Janice exclaimed. Her thoughts spun so hard that they made her dizzy. Robert was certainly full of surprises.

"I think it's great that you and your son are thinking about settling in Middletown. We always welcome good people in our community," Reverend Marsden opined. "Now, if you excuse me," he pointed to the line of worshippers waiting for him.

Janice looked around. Everyone had suddenly disappeared leaving the two of them alone. Rain and Rolf had taken Benji to the playground to play with other kids.

"Are you really thinking about moving here?" Janice asked Robert.

Robert stared at Janice for a long moment, opened his arms, and said, "Surprise."

"This was what you and Benji were planning."

Robert nodded, "Yes, we have been talking a lot with Benji about moving to Middletown. We both like it here."

A flood of emotions swamped Janice.

Robert watched the turmoil of emotions play across her face. He wanted to know what she was thinking, what she was feeling.

"What about your job? What about Benji's school? What about your friends?" Janice's questions came in a flood.

Robert held up his hands. "Whoa, easy there."

"Sorry... I can't believe this is happening. I am so thrilled..." Tears were forming in Janice's eyes as she struggled for control

"To answer your questions, we both believe being a family is more important than any of that."

"Really?" Janice couldn`t hold the tears anymore.

"Really. New York is a crowded, stressful, and expensive city. Middletown, on the other hand, is a small, warm, and friendly town. When I think in which place I'd rather raise a family, Middletown wins hands down."

"Bobby, does it mean...?"

"America is a bit wide to cross every other weekend. Leaving New York will be a pleasure, as long as you're waiting for me on the other side. Because the truth is, Jan, I am madly, deeply, truly, passionately in love with you. You're very special to me. Just the way you are."

Janice smiled and said, "I love you, too, Bobby."

Happiness bubbled inside her.

Robert opened his arms and she let herself be embraced by him. It felt wonderful to be held with such tenderness, to rest against his strong frame and not have to pretend she was all right. She was so tired of holding it together. All she wanted was to be held in Robert's arms, to feel his love surrounding her.

She took a deep breath. "Okay."

"Okay?"

"Yes." She gave a nod. "Okay."

"Okay, what?" Robert asked, confused.

"Love. Commitment. Family. The whole thing. You do want to get married, don't you?"

Robert laughed. "Usually is the man who proposes, but yes, I truly do."

"I'll get you a ring later. Now, are you going to kiss me?" Janice asked him.

"Bossy," he muttered, smiling at Janice.

He leaned down and kissed her. The gentle brush of his lips against hers filled her with longing and excitement. She circled his neck with her arms as he pulled her close.

She hadn't forgotten anything about him. Neither had her mouth or body, which molded to his in the old, remembered way.

When he finally lifted his head, she pressed her cheek against his chest.

"These past months were the happiest of my life," Janice said against Robert's chest.

"And mine. You are a great woman and mother," Robert murmured, bending to kiss the tip of her nose.

"I sincerely hope so. Benji is an easy kid to love."

"He has certainly become attached to you. I did too."

Robert's eyes played over Janice's features. He seemed to be looking for something that was eluding him. "It didn't take much to make our world go round back then, did it?"

A pleasant warmth stole through her. She'd dreamed about this so many times, it seemed like an extension of her desires.

They were, embracing like young lovers who'd never been apart.

"I want to build a future with you, Jan. A future that counts for more than dollars, prestige, or power, and that will leave a lasting legacy of love for our children," he said in a husky voice.

A wistful smile curved her mouth. "Since I found out I have a future to look forward to, you have no idea how just hearing the word makes me feel."

Robert then straightened, and asked, "I presume you do want more children."

"Yes," she admitted. "Definitely."

CHAPTER 25

They all sat down to Thanksgiving dinner around five. They barely fit around Janice's dining room table.

Rain and Janice had been cooking their Thanksgiving dinner. They would be having stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, broccoli and cheese casserole, rolls, and cranberry sauce, along with turkey breast and gravy. It was a ridiculous amount of food.

Served dishes piled high with turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, and green bean casserole got passed around the table, and just as they were all salivating over their plates, Robert stood and said, "When Benji was young, we used to start every Thanksgiving meal with our gratitude. At some point we stopped, I'm not sure why. I thought it would be nice to try it again. What do you say?"

"I think that's a good idea, Dad," Benji said. "I don't know why we ever stopped doing that."

"Today is as good a day as any to start again," Janice chimed in, encouragingly.

Robert led off, "I am thankful Benji has reunited with his mother and we can all be a family again. I'm thankful for having Janice back in my life, and this second chance at love."

Benji looked at Janice and said, "I thank God, Mom is alive." They all laughed at that.

"Me too!" Janice exclaimed. Everyone laughed even louder.

"I'm thankful I have a Mom and a family," Benji concluded.

Janice beamed with pride and squeezed her son's hand beneath the table.

Everyone else took a turn, too. Rain was grateful to have found a place to settle, and a loved one to settle with. She was also thankful for her sister. Rolf was grateful for Rain and the many ways she had changed his life for the better.

Janice cleared her throat and looked around. She couldn't believe her eyes. She was eating Thanksgiving dinner with her family.

"I have so much to thank for. I wish you knew how excited I am for having you all here. It's been a long, long time since I had a proper Thanksgiving and it means a lot to me," she had some tears left, but they began to flow unchecked.

"You're my love, Bobby. I love you," Janice said solemnly. "I love Benji, my beautiful son," she seemed to hold her breath for a moment as if savoring what she had said.

"Life gave me a second chance to prove myself. I am going to be the best version of myself. I want to do it right this time... and if I don't, I have my sister to kick my ass in the right direction," Janice winked at Rain, and she winked back at her.

Everyone got a good chuckle out of that.

Rain lightened the mood, saying, "When are you going to admit that I know what's best for you, Sis?"

Janice picked up a napkin and mimed it like she was going to throw it, and everyone laughed again.

They all dug into their food, and for a few seconds, Benji kept his hand locked into his mom's. She squeezed it and gave him a grin, and then they both picked up their forks.

The food was incredible. They all gave Rain and Janice endless compliments in between big, satisfying bites.

Robert, Janice, and Benji were inseparable for the rest of the long holiday weekend. The next day, Rain and Rolf joined them for a picnic at the lake.

For the first time in her life, Janice was happy. Truly happy. Robert loved her and she loved him.

When the holidays were over, Robert and Benji went back to New York to set everything ready to move their lives to Middletown.

"I'm going to miss you," Janice told them at the airport.

"We'll be back as soon as we can," he assured her. "I love you, Jan."

"I love you with all my heart, Bobbie," she said back.

"We'll be back in no time."

"You better," Janice said, still not allowing herself to completely believe this was really happening.

***

Robert and Benji were extremely busy packing their belongings. The hall was stacked with rows and rows of moving boxes.

The doorbell rang and Robert went to the door. He opened the door and looked at Alistair with mild bewilderment. He frowned at his father.

"What now, father?"

"I come in peace. Can we talk?"

"You can come in, just for a second. As you can see, we are moving, the place is a mess," he said stepping aside.

Robert stood there looking at his father with a defying look on his face. He did not offer his father a seat.

"We need to sit down and talk before things get out of control, Robert."

"WE mean Benji and me, and WE don't need anything from YOU. YOU are out of our lives. WE are much better this way," Robert crossed his arms on his chest.

"I am worried that you're throwing your life away. Moving to Middletown isn't the best move for you, for your career, or even for Benji. Being a small-town lawyer is a bit different from being a partner in a four-story firm. You'll get bored arguing about chickens and eggs."

Robert looked up with a defiant expression. "I happen to like the change. Working as a lawyer in Middletown might not pay as well as it does in New York, but with my income, my family can manage to live comfortably with less stress and pressure."

All of a sudden, a disturbing idea took shape in Robert's mind. "How do you know about my plans? Did you have me followed?"

Guilt flickers in Alistair's eyes, and Robert knew his suspicion was correct.

"You don't learn, do you?" Robert snarled. "You know what? I'm done with you. Get out of here!"

Alistair was about to reply but Robert held up one hand as if to stop him. "Don't say another word. I don't want to hear it. I am a grown man. I'm quite capable of making my own decisions and fully intend to do so," he replied curtly. "Out!"

"Robert, I admit I made a mistake with that girl, but you must understand..."

"Janice, father! Her name is Janice. She is the girl I love and Benji's mother, whether you like it or not. You should, at least, learn her name."

"Things went out of control, but I've paid for my mistake."

"Mistake? You call what you did a mistake, you bastard!" Robert's rage finally boiled over.

"Robert, please!" Alistair had his hands up in front of him.

"Geez, you're sick. You call ruining three lives a mistake!" Robert growled.

"I need you and Benjamin back in my life, please."

"You might need us, but we don't need you, Father. More importantly, we don't want you in our lives. You have shown me you haven't changed. You are still scheming against my family. Please stop trying to control me, and move on. We are out of your life and you are out of ours."

Robert walked to the front door and opened it.

"Have a good life, father..." Robert began closing the door, "And Merry Christmas. Maybe, one day, you'll truly regret what you have done to us. That day, I might consider forgiving you. But that day is not today."

"Please, Robert. At least, let me see Benjamin from time to time," Alistair begged.

"Don't worry, Father, send me your new address and I'll mail you a photo of your grandson every year."

EPILOGUE: One year later

Robert closed his office and went back home through the enchanting Main Square filled with Christmas decorations of every kind. Christmas in Middletown was something magical and he loved to be part of it.

His wife was waiting for him.

His wife.

Robert hadn't realized how much he missed Janice until they moved in together.

He gave Janice everything.

His heart.

His body.

His soul.

His life.

Their time had finally come.

He had always thought of Janice as his wife. He couldn't remember a time when he didn't feel married to her.

It explained why he could never build a lasting relationship with another woman.

He walked home whistling happily all the way. He greeted some neighbors on his way back. Fifteen minutes later, he got home.

No traffic jams. No stress. A bit of exercise, breathtaking views, and human contact.

He hurried to the porch and let himself in the front door. The smell of dinner welcomed him.

Janice ran to him and Robert swung her around, both of them intoxicated by the knowledge they'd never be alone again.

His mouth covered hers and the world wheeled away.

"I love you, Jan. I've always loved you."

She crushed him closer. "I've always loved you, too," she said in a shaking voice.

"I've missed you so terribly, Bobby. It was the memory of the love we shared that held me together during my darkest hours."

"We're back where we belong now. From here on out, we'll share everything, because this is forever," he vowed. "You've grown up. I loved the girl you were, but I love the woman you are, even more."

"I felt lighter, happier, and in a good place for the first time in as long as I could remember."

The realization that they were together at last, really together, that nothing would ever keep them apart again, still hadn't sunk in.

Janice had her family and friends. She loved her children. Above all, she loved her husband. He was her lover, her friend, her rock.

Robert and Janice clung to each other lingering in the kiss.

"Hey, you two! Cut that out. An innocent kid is approaching," Benji warned them with a smile.

With her arms still looped around Robert's neck, Janice tore her mouth from her husband and turned to see Benji, standing in the living room wearing a broad smile.

Her cheeks burning in embarrassment, Janice felt like a teenager who'd been caught on the front porch making out with her boyfriend.

"We were just..."

"Kissing" Robert finished for her and slipped an arm around Janice's shoulders. "Don't tell me this innocent kid has never seen anyone kiss before."

Benji looked up at his father and beamed a smile.

"Of course, I have... on movies and TV shows mainly."

"The day will come," Robert warned his son, "when you'll be wanting to kiss a girl."

"Gross," Benji made a gagging sound. "I'd rather kiss a pig."

"You'd have to catch it first," Janice sassed, as she skipped across the room to tickle her son. They both laughed.

"Keep it down, you don't want to wake up, Thomas," Robert said shushing them.

Their darling, dark-haired, one-year-old baby, slept peacefully in his cradle. Benji watched his brother sleep.

"I love my little brother, but I'm hoping for a sister next time."

Robert and Janice chuckled at that.

Janice smothered her husband with kisses, not caring if Benji was watching them. "I'm living a dream. Don't wake me up."

What about the people of Middletown?

Well, they were wary. Janice didn't blame them, but she didn't let it take her happiness away.

Yes, Janice was finally a happy woman. Happiness radiated from her, surrounding everyone close to her.

"You found your light," Rain used to tell her sister with a smile as bright as the sun.

Of course, there was no magical quick fix. Only through real effort and a lot of hard work, she got to the place where she was meant to be.

Rain was Janice's biggest supporter. Both sisters were inseparable. Janice started participating in community affairs again, not just as a reporter, but as an active member. Both sisters were the heart and soul of every event.

No matter their past, people can change if they try hard and work on themselves.

It is never too late.

Janice Cooper is the living proof of that.

!!HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

THE END

1...5678910