Best Laid Plans

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Do I know you?" A big smile crossed his face, as if he was proud to identify himself.

"My name is Lazlo. Your wife sent me."

"OK. What can I do for you?"

"I need your wedding ring and your wallet."

"I can understand the wedding ring, but why the wallet?"

"I have to make this look like a robbery?"

"Make what look like a robbery?"

"Your wife hired me to kill you Mister Terrell."

"I hope she paid you up front, because she doesn't have any money."

"What do you mean?" That was the end of the conversation. From across the parking area came three large Italians who did look nasty in their long leather coats.

"Bobby Terrell, we want to talk to you." Tony was one loud dude.

The intrusion caught Lazlo by surprise. He turned to face the three of them, when one of them noticed the gun in his hand. All three of them were reaching into their coats, as I dove across the concrete barrier, leading to the outside of the parking area. Lazlo lost all interest in me, for the moment. As I scooted along the side of the building toward the car, I could hear shots, echoing off the garage walls. I looked up in time to see Dora speeding down the street and two guys in suits getting out of a black SUV, across the street. It was obvious that the suit guys were Feds, and I assumed they were waiting for me. The firefight distracted them long enough for me to get out of the area.

Dora was gone. The car was gone. There was no way in hell that I was going back to that condo. I didn't know who shot whom in the parking garage and I didn't want to know. All I knew for sure, was that there were three different groups after my ass, for different reasons, at the same time. I got the message.

I had several options at this point. One was to catch a bus to Carson City and get my money. I decided against this idea, since I was too hot. Yeah, hot. That's a good word. I was just trying to get away from a cheating wife. What the hell happened? Since I decided to let the money cool for a while, I had to find a place to lay low. I still had over four grand in my pocket. That would hold me for a while. Why was my wife trying to kill me? I guess she didn't realize there was no longer any insurance money. I figured she was smarter than that.

I made a big mistake. I took the bus to San Francisco. Four thousand dollars does not go far in the city by the bay The first thousand got me a SSN and an ID, so I could at least get a job. I found a room with a bath down the hall, and a job waiting tables in a low profile restaurant. After about a month, I was earning enough to support myself, and getting to be a pretty good waiter. Some customers were actually requesting my tables.

I had not been making the payments on my cell phone, and the service was terminated. I hadn't used it since I left Reno. It only cost me a few bucks to get a new pre-paid service and about fifty minutes of airtime. I wanted to call Dora, but I had no idea where she was or how to get in touch with her. I decided to call Jerry.

"Hey Buddy. It's Robert. Just thought I get an update from you."

"Bobby, Bobby. Good to hear from you. Things are still fouled up, but not like you would think. Where the hell are you?"

"None of your damn business where I am. Last time I talked to you, I was inundated with nasty people, all wanting something. Am I still a wanted man?"

"Well most of that crap went away, especially after Sandra was arrested. As I understand it, the IRS is still looking for some type of payment on 401K assets. Other than that most of it is good."

"What do you mean Sandra was arrested?"

"I thought you of all people would know about that. Ever hear of a guy named Lester Lazlo?"

"Yeah. I met him once, briefly, about three months ago. He was trying to bump me off, when we were interrupted by some other guys who were after me. While they were arguing about which one of them would get a piece of me, I slipped out the back door. How does he fit in?"

"Sandra hired Lazlo to kill you. Lazlo got shot up pretty bad, out in Reno, and sang like a bird to the police. He claimed Sandra was going to stiff him on a ten thousand dollar contract, so he ratted her out. Believe it or not, the cops bought it, and brought her up on charges. She can't make bail, so she is waiting out her trial date in the clink."

"Jerry, I would love to help her out, if it wasn't for the fact that she tried to have me killed. I think that her parents should be able to help her with bail, but I sure as hell won't.

"Let me see what I can do Bobby. Nobody seems to be that interested in you at the present time. Do you want me to start the divorce again? I think we have pretty good grounds this time."

"Might as well. A divorce would be nice, but I don't care one way or the other anymore. I guess it would make things cleaner."

"I kept all the other paperwork. I think I can still use most of it. Oh yeah, forgot to tell you. Your kids all came home when Sandra got in trouble. They were concerned at first, but lost interest fast, when the facts came out. They want you to call them, and let them know you are OK."

"I'll get in touch with them as soon as I can."

"How did your money laundering scheme work out?"

"Not worth a damn. I lost control and lost contact. I'll try and check on it next week. Jerry, sometimes the best damn plans in the world are just not good enough."

"OK. Keep in touch buddy."

"One more thing, Jerry. Did Sandra ever say why she wanted me dead?"

"Not that I know of. I assumed it was for the insurance, that she didn't know you cancelled."

I checked in with the kids and everything was fine. They felt better after they found out the tuition had been prepaid. They wanted to know what happened between Sanda and I, but I couldn't bring myself to tell them. Some things would have to wait.

I borrowed a car and drove up to Carson City. The safety deposit box was empty. At least she could have left a note. I couldn't really complain, because I gave her the key and access to the box. Did she go to Guadalajara or did she find a place where I couldn't find her? There was only one way to find out.

There were several small travel agencies in my San Francisco neighborhood. Most of them specialized in group-tours for compatible people, which I didn't quite fit into. I finally found a tour to my favorite Mexican city, with a last minute cancellation, that I could qualify for. It was the first time in my life that I had to scrape together enough money for something. The trip wasn't that expensive, I just didn't have a lot of money. I felt comfortable because a few of the guys on the trip worked at the restaurant with me. Most of them had signed up for the side trips but I had other plans.

The first two days turned out to be a big disappointment. The Libertad Market was bigger than I had imagined. I see now that it was a poor choice on my part. I hated to think that maybe Dora had decided to take my money and go someplace a little more exotic. Maybe she was in Bangkok, or Tahiti. Lord knows there was enough money, in that safety deposit box, to live just about anyplace she wanted to. I didn't know if I should sit and wait for her to walk by, or if I should walk around and look for her. I ended up doing both. By the third day it was getting dull.

"It's about time Robert. Where the hell have you been?"

I turned and saw Dora standing with her hands on her hips. She had on a wide-brim straw hat with a red band around it. "Say something, damn it. I've been going nuts here, not knowing if you were even alive or not." I didn't say anything. I walked over and kissed her for the first time. I don't know why I hadn't done it before, but I was glad I did it now.

"That's a pretty pathetic explanation. Maybe you better try it again." The second kiss was accompanied with a big hug as I swung her around off the ground.

"Dora, I missed you so bad."

"You still have to tell me where you were for the last month, but I can wait till later. Lets go home and have some lunch."

We walked through the market, hand in hand. I felt happy and content for the first time in awhile.

"Robert, don't get mad at me, but I spent some of your money. I put most of it in the bank, but I needed a place to live, so I bought us a house. I was hoping you wouldn't mind, because you had an awful lot of money in that bank."

It was a beautiful hacienda, in a beautiful city, and I was with a wonderful woman. I like it when a plan comes together.

Sandra's parents were able to raise her bail money and pay for her lawyers. Jerry had no trouble getting her signature on the divorce papers. She ended up getting five to eight years for trying to have me killed. Never did find out why. Todd Mitchell gave Jerry a deposition, but Jerry never had to use it. Jerry was able to find Ray Upright. He was sober, but not doing well. When Jerry asked him what he could do to help, Ray said he would like to have a hot dog pushcart. I got to feel better for twenty four hundred dollars. I settled my beef with the IRS for four thousand dollars. Lazlo in in jail in Nevada with Dora's husband and brothers. We don't know how long they will be there.

I was now free to return home. My old job, with a promotion, was waiting for me. The law was no longer looking for me.

As soon as Dora's mexican divorce is final, we plan to get married. The kids will be coming down for the wedding during Spring break. The house in Guadalajara is beautiful, but we are pretty certain we will not stay there full time. Dora wants to keep it as a vacation home. Emily is anxious for me to return to work, especially at the new position. It is a promotion for both of us. Dora is willing to go anywhere, as long as we stay together. She wants me to take her to meet Sandra. That should be interesting.

My plans did not work out as I expected, but who am I to complain.

Share this Story

story TAGS

Similar Stories

Danny's Dilemma His wife tried to put the horns on him.in Loving Wives
An Unexpected Reaction To an unacceptable situation.in Loving Wives
Penny Whimsy Her plan to trade up didn't work.in Loving Wives
Irish Eyes His love was betrayed, what next.in Romance
Birthday Surprise It ruined his day and his life.in Loving Wives
More Stories