Black And Male in Canada

Story Info
The life and times of a Black immigrant in Canada.
1.5k words
1.92
14.1k
0
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Samuelx
Samuelx
2,119 Followers

The name is Stephen Joseph Magloire. My friends call me Stevie. I'm a big and tall young Black man of Haitian descent living in the city of Toronto, province of Ontario. I recently moved there from the city of Brockton, Massachusetts. I find myself missing my old hometown of Brockton more and more. There is no city like the city of champions, folks. You see, I don't like Canada. And I am really pissed that they beat the U.S. in Men's and Women's Hockey in the 2010 Olympics. If we had beaten them, that might have shut them up for a while. They're a bunch of Hockey-obsessed, subtly bigoted phonies and I don't like them one bit. I'm only staying here long enough to get my degree from the University of Toronto, then I'm going back to America.

I can't see myself living in Canada for the rest of my life. I simply can't. it's just not for me. Canadians are too fake for my liking. I'm used to dealing with real people. Fake folks don't do it for me. I've never been fond of fake people. Canada has more fake people per capita than some of the fakest places on earth, Los Angeles included. This is one of the most bigoted places on the planet. Unfortunately, they've gone to great lengths to hide this about themselves. Well, I'm not buying what they're selling them. Haters can't put one past me.

From the outside, Toronto looks like a nice place. One of America's biggest and most diverse cities. It's estimated that in less than ten years, people of African, Asian, Hispanic and Arabic descent will outnumber Whites in the city of Toronto. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean that Toronto is a nice place for people of color. There is a subtle racism here that I don't much care for. Canadians are a nation of hypocrites, folks. In the United States of America, we're all keenly aware of racism. We know the police often discriminate against minorities, that teachers in public and private schools treat students of color differently and that as a society we've got a long way to go.

We've made some progress. The President of the U.S.A is a Black man. The Governor of New York is a Black man. The Governor of Massachusetts is a Black man. The Mayor of Atlanta, Georgia, is a Black man. The Congressional Black Caucus wields quite a lot of power in the Halls of Washington D.C. There are Black men and Black women serving as CEOs of Fortune 500 companies, university presidents and leaders of various industries. We've done a lot for America and for ourselves in a very short amount of time. However, in the United States of America we acknowledge that atrocities and injustices were committed against people of color for centuries. We teach it in our history classes. And we absolutely demand that young people understand how terribly unfair our country's policies were for centuries. Canadians go around pretending they're the nicest people in the world. And some of them actually believe this bold-faced lie. It's eerie. But they're not fooling me.

In Canada, both Blacks and Whites pretend that racism doesn't exist. I've seen a lot of racist White folks in the city of Ottawa where I stayed for a while. They give you funny looks in stores and especially on the bus. Whenever they see me reading one of my Black magazines like Black Enterprise, Ebony or Essence, they always stare. I guess they've never seen an African-American magazine before. They also say some very negative things in a very subtle way. If you're not paying attention you could miss it. I confront them about their racist bullshit nearly every time. They're always surprised when I call them on their subtle bigotry. I guess racist White folks in Canada aren't used to being confronted. Bunch of dumb asses. I can't stand them. In Massachusetts I had friends across the racial spectrum. I had Irish friends and Jamaican friends along with Asian friends and Mexican friends. In Canada, since ninety nine percent of all people I encounter seem to be hypocrites, I'm not eager to make friends. It's not a color thing, it's a cultural thing. Everyone is two-faced here, regardless of their ethnic background.

Canadians of African descent are a weird bunch too. It's not just the White folks. Take the residents of Ottawa for example. At the two major universities in the capital, the University of Ottawa and Carleton University, there are lots of educated young Black women. Where are the young Black men? Even though Canada has many accessible and affordable top-notch schools, lots of Black Canadian males aren't interested in pursuing higher education. They'd rather work menial jobs, smoke weed, party hard, get into fights and chase women. Make that chase White women. That is so disappointing. In America, lots of young Black men want to go to college but lack the funds. In Canada, anybody can go to college. It is both affordable and accessible. Yet many Black guys in Canada choose not go. My cousin Jean is one of them. The guy is smart as hell but he doesn't care for school. He makes deliveries all over the province as he drives a truck and makes okay money. That seems to be all he wants to do with his life. He could do so much more.

Due to Black Canadians males apparent lack of ambition, a lot of college-educated Black Canadian women seem frustrated with them. Add to that the fact that lots of young Black Canadian men, whether college-educated and not, seem to have a thing for White chicks. Yeah, I can kind of understand why so many young Canadian women of African descent seem frustrated with the young Black men of Canada. Well, I'm not one of them. I'm Haitian, first of all. And I grew up in the United States of America, where Black men have achieved a lot. My father Franklin Magloire has his doctorate's degree in engineering from the Georgia Institute of Technology. Nowadays he teaches at Clark Atlanta University. My mother Elsa Rameau Magloire has a degree in business administration from Howard University. They both live in Atlanta, Georgia. I know Black folks can accomplish anything. Black Canadians don't seem to share the sentiment. What a bunch of losers.

I see a lot of good-looking, educated young Black women every day. They've got it all, folks. Cute faces, gorgeous bodies, spectacular butts and keen minds. Sadly, their attitude stinks to high heaven. I don't know who hates Black men more, racist White people or angry Black women. It's too bad these Black women are like that because many of them are really hot. Unfortunately, they're not like the young Black women I knew growing up. In the Republic of Haiti and in America, I ran into smart, ambitious and hard-working Black women who loved their men and stood up for their families and communities. Black female Canadians seem to hate Black men in general. And the only time they pay attention to a Black man is when they see him with a White chick. What the hell? What does a brother have to do to get some love from these uptight Black Canadian women? I don't know. I've been single ever since I came here. It sucks but whatever.

A lot of things around here don't make sense to me. I can't stand Canada though I try to adapt to it. I can't stand the weather, the people or the socio-politics involved. I go to class, go to work and stay home. Sometimes, I visit my uncle and aunt in the suburbs. I've come to enjoy spending time with my family members. Well, until they got on my nerves. Other times, I go to church. There is a Haitian church not far from my apartment. I sometimes go there. It's nice to be surrounded by my people once again. If only for a few hours. We've gone through a lot together. It's part of what binds us to one another. When I'm among them, I actually feel at peace. Of course, the peace doesn't last and I have to go back to the outside world. A world I don't like. It's full of subtle and not so subtle bigots, perpetually naive people and clueless fools. I'm counting the days until I can go back to America, where the world makes sense.

Everybody has a 'someday'. Want to hear mine? I pray that someday I will return to America with a degree and that I will work in law enforcement at some point. I will find a gorgeous, college-educated, funny and wonderful Black woman to marry. A sister who isn't always angry, negative or vicious. One who still loves Black men. A classy lady who has a strong mind and lots of ambition yet supports her man. With such a woman by my side, I will start a family. Maybe we can buy a nice house in a diverse suburb somewhere to raise our family in. Even after all the perpetually angry Black women I've encountered both in Canada and America, I still believe in the Black Love. Just look at Will Smith and Jada, Barack and Michelle, Denzel and Pauletta. We can make our relationships work. They just take more work and dedication than some, due to the unique obstacles we as a people often face. We can do it. That I will believe until the day that I die.

Samuelx
Samuelx
2,119 Followers