Blood of the Clans Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Jacob continually worked the lines. eking out every drop of speed he could from the sail, while he gauged the currents through the rudder for the speed. He turned back to see the distance between them had been closed even more. His heart raced, knowing it would take more than his skills, but an act of God's grace, to get them there first and safely. The winged horse head on the prow of the birlinn could now be seen and Jacob steadied his composure to one of confidence, to allow her Ladyship some much needed peace of mind.

Jacob turned his sail and rudder and rounded the point, heading south into Kyle Rhea. The winds were channelled by the steep cliffs bordering them on both sides, increasing their speed even more. A smile grew on Jacob's face, as he sailed down the kyle and the birlinn disappeared from view behind them.

"It won't be long now, Lady Anne. We should be able tae make it there before them." he said with confidence, in part to ease her Ladyship and in part to ease his own doubts.

As he turned back, the birlinn was rounding the point and making good speed. He could now make out the faces of the men aboard it. His heart sank with thoughts of almost making it to safety and losing the race against time and distance.

"Can we no get more speed, Alistair? They're almost there. Ye know our orders and we can'ne fail or it's our hides that'll be flying from the castle masts." William urged his cousin.

"We'll reach them. Get an arra' ready William and see if we're in range." Alistair instructed him.

William set an arrow on the string and pulled it back, then released it. The arrow flew fast, but landed far short of its mark. He knew it would be a close race to close the distance and take the old man out before he could make landfall before them. The waves crashed against the bow, sending the salty spray up and soaking the men. They knew it was a miracle they needed to catch them and they prayed for that hope, the look of trepidation staining their faces.

The last point was in sight, that Jacob needed to round, before reaching the castle. He steered for the shortest route and saw the masts of the MacDonald's birlinns anchored in the bay. His heart raced with joy at making it and turned to see where the MacRae's were. As his eyes found them, the arrow from Alexander's bow found him, striking him in the side of his chest. Jacob collapsed and sank, as he tried desperately to guide the boat the last few hundred yards to the shore.

Lady Anne turned to see Jacob slump on the tiller, yet trying to guide them to the shore. She climbed back to him and held him in her arms to comfort him.

"Brace yerself Lady Anne, I'll ha'e tae crash us on the rocks. Run fer the castle M'Lady and don't worry about me. Get tae safety and tell them of the siege." Jacob's words were strained by the lack of air getting into his lung. A trail of bright, red blood drained from his mouth, as he expelled it from hacking it up.

The shore raced up quickly and the rocky bottom cracked and battered the bottom of the boat, as it came ashore.

"Make haste now M'Lady. I'm done and can'ne be of help tae ye. Go, save yerself, and warn..." The words died in mid-sentence, as another arrow found its mark in Jacob's back. Jacob's eyes shut, never to open again.

Lady Anne leapt from the side into the frigid waters and onto the shore, stumbling over the rocks to the beach. She looked back at Jacob and felt sorrow, but it was short felt, as an arrow whizzed by her closely. She turned and ran for the castle, screaming out to be saved.

Aiden MacDonald, youngest cousin of Grayson and Arabella, was just exiting the gate with several men on their way to Castle Tioram, as he heard the screams. He quickly scanned about looking for the source of them and saw a raggedly dressed woman, stumbling over the rocky ground towards him. They ran towards her in haste, then spotted the birlinn and six figures aboard, coming around the point. Arrows were let loose and fell about them, one striking a MacDonald in the upper chest. He fell in pain, but waved the others to go on, that he would be okay.

They surrounded the woman, using their own bodies as shields for her. Aiden recognized her immediately as Lady Anne MacDonnell, but waited until they had her to safety, to ask her what was going on. They led her in through the gate and called out for Glenn MacDonnell, while a pair of soldiers fired arrows back, landing them close to the birlinn, but not reaching it. They assisted the fallen clansman, keeping watch over their shoulders for another salvo coming in, as they dragged him back through the gate. The gate was closed and Lady Anne knew she was safe. The wounded soldier was tended to immediately, removing the arrow and seeing to the wound, stemming the flow of bright red soaking his sash and tunic. Aiden turned to Lady Anne, a desperate look for an answer on his face.

"The MacRae's. They've taken Donan and killed everyone, even my Hamish and I'm sure my daughter, Heather and son, Kyle, have suffered the same fate, or worse. I need tae speak tae yer cousin Grayson and warn him. We ha'e tae try tae take back Donan from them." Lady Anne's words were frantically spoken through her growing tears, but Aiden knew the seriousness of what she said.

Leaving her in the care of Robert, his older brother, he called the men to him in alarm. The small castle became a hive of activity, as men readied weapons along the walls and others raced to Aiden. In minutes, forty men were gathered around him, waiting for instructions. Glenn raced from the keep to Anne's side and heard the news from her. He hugged her tightly and shared a mutual grief at their loss. Rage filled Glenn immediately and bade Robert to tend to his aunt, as he joined the others ready to sail.

"Donan's been taken by the MacRae's and Laird Hamish murdered. We must get tae Tioram wi' all haste and inform Lady Arabella of the troubles." Aiden informed them. "Tae the ships now and set oars."

The men raced for the birlinns, preparing for an attack by the enemy to stop them. They charged the shore en masse and found the MacRae's birlinn had already come about to return to Eilean Donan. Glenn MacDonnell, Lady Anne's oldest nephew and his men boarded and raised anchors and sails, the oars sliding into their locks and bringing them out into the deep water.

"Glenn, try tae cut them off. Don't let them get back and warn the others. We'll take Lady Anne tae Tioram and meet ye there. God speed yer way." Aiden ordered and helped Lady Anne aboard his birlinn.

As the other boats pulled out, the oars were set in the water and ten men pulled hard on them to gain speed. The MacRae's were a fair distance ahead, but with the wind and oars, they were gaining on them. Twenty hands held onto oars, arms and wood both strained to the limits of their capabilities, as in one fluid motion, they stroked out the cadence and rhythm of their rowing to chants. Aiden watched the scene from his birlinn, as they sailed in the other direction, then looked down at Lady Anne, shivering and distraught, feeling his blood start to roil with revenge. He placed his sheepskin around her and made her as comfortable as he could, holding her close for warmth and a sense of security.

Glenn worked the sail to its best advantage, showing his sailing abilities to be superior to Alistair's. As the MacRae's boat rounded the point back into the Kyle of Lochalsh, the winds shifted and dropped off, slowing their speed.

"Row ye lot, or we're as good as dead. They're gaining on us and we won't make it wi'out God's help and yer arms, now row!" Alistair shouted to them in angered fear.

They slid the oars into their locks and pulled as hard as they could to maintain speed and distance from the approaching force. Glenn's men were pulling harder and were closing the distance rapidly. Even with the drop in wind power, their oars would close the gap and would soon have them in firing distance of their arrows. Far off down the loch, the sight of Eilean Donan could be made out and Glenn knew he had to beat them to the island in mid-channel if he hoped to over-take them.

As if to answer his prayers, a breeze swept along the water and filled his sail with wind. He could feel his speed increasing and his hopes rose. As much as it helped him, it also helped the MacRae's to gain speed as well. He only needed a few hundred yards to close and his archers could send volley after volley of arrows onto the boat.

The island approached and the MacRae birlinn took the weak side of the island to pass. The winds died in strength, as the oarsmen struggled to maintain their distance. Glenn stayed to the south side and caught the channelled breezes, giving them the power to close the distance. As they passed the island, he looked over and saw the boat was almost level with his. He steered for them and readied his men.

"Keith, Donald, ready yer arras. The rest, keep pulling hard on they oars men. We ha'e them and they'll no make Donan again."

Keith and Donald readied their bows and waited for the signal to let them loose. Glenn steered for the MacRae birlinn and closed on them fast. When he felt they were within

range, he ordered them to fire.

"Let loose men and may they find their marks." he shouted.

The sharp twang of the strings was heard and the two projectiles soared across the distance. Glenn watched closely, as one missed by a hair's breadth, while the other found its place in the neck of Alexander. Blood spurted in streaking arcs, showering William with his blood and in an instant, he was taken down with the force and lay wide-eyed dead beside him. Alistair looked over to the other ship and could see another volley being readied. Without time or protection, he waited for the release and hoped he would be spared. He hadn't expected attack and left without shields for protection, now all were waiting for God's grace to spare them, dread and doubt the masks they wore on their faces.

Keith had his sights trained on Alistair, while Donald concentrated on the next rower. In seconds, they released and the arrows whistled through the air. Glenn watched and saw both find their marks. Alistair was struck in the side of his chest and the force took him over the far side and into the dark, cold waters of the loch. The rower was struck in the neck as well, sending him sideways instantly and lay beside the other in deathly repose.

Glenn watched the body of Alistair float behind the birlinn, face down and knew he was dead. They tossed their grappling lines over the side of the birlinn and pulled the two together. Ten men climbed aboard and hacked down the remaining men, then tossed the lifeless bodies of everyone overboard. In moments, the two birlinns were turned and heading back up the loch, away from Eilean Donan.

From high on the tower, Blair watched, as his younger brother and cousins, along with three others, were left in the waters and their birlinn claimed by the MacDonald's. His face belied the emotions of grief and pain at the loss, but were soon replaced with worry. Worry that they hadn't succeeded in their mission and they were now in danger of a full attack by the clan MacDonald. He stared at the birlinns fading in the distance, mentally preparing for the trouble to come, as his blood churned with avenging those deaths and satisfying his blood-lust.

Glenn turned with a sense of being watched and looked towards the castle. He couldn't see anyone, but knew they were being watched. Before he turned back, he saw the thick, black smoke rising beside the castle. He knew in his heart what that smoke was from, as he turned away and sailed his boat into Kyle Rhea and on towards Tioram, to meet up with Aiden and the clan MacDonald. Grievous emotion filled him, as the unbearable loss was added up in his heart.

Aiden's boat was first to reach shore, where he leapt over the side, then helped Lady Anne over the side and carried her to the shore. He took her hand and raced her up to the castle where the clansmen were coming out to see what was going on.

"Eilean Donan's been sacked by the MacRae's and they've killed Laird Hamish and all in the castle. Lady Anne escaped and made it tae Camus tae warn us. Is Lady Arabella in the castle?" Aiden informed his brethren, as they reached the entrance.

"Aye, her Ladyship is in her chambers. I'll run ahead and get her, Aiden. Take Lady Anne tae the hall, there's a good fire tae warm her and the men." Ranald MacDonald told him and raced away into the castle.

Aiden led Lady Anne to a chair beside the fire and sat her down. A woman servant came to her with a thick, wool blanket and wrapped her in it. Lady Anne smiled wanly at her, and thanked her.

"I'll bring a hot drink tae warm ye, M'Lady." she said, then hurried back to the kitchen in haste.

Lady Arabella appeared from the stairs and saw the mass of men in the hall.

"What's going on? Someone speak quickly and tell me." she ordered the men.

"Lady Arabella, it's the MacRae's. They've sacked Donan and murdered everyone, including Laird Hamish. Lady Anne escaped and made it tae us, tae warn us." Aiden told her.

"Where's Lady Anne?" she asked, her face going from stern to one of anxious concern instantly.

The men parted and she saw the frail and shivering woman sitting in front of the fire, tears in constant flow, as she grieved there. She hurried to her side and crouched.

"Anne, is it true? They've killed Hamish?" her eyes and face fully showing her sympathies and pain at the news.

"Oh Arabella, it was horrible. They came before first light and stormed the gate while it was open fer the carts tae come tae market. They spared no one, no even a lass or bairn, from what I seen. They're barbarians, Arabella. I fear fer my daughter as well, I ha'e no idea if she is alive or dead, or my son either." Lady Anne sobbed out past her grief, until she finished and broke down completely.

Arabella took her in her arms and comforted her. She looked up at Aiden and around to the others standing there.

"Go tae yer ships and assemble the clan. We set fer Donan and I want every MacRae dead by the morrow's nightfall." she ordered in disgust, at what she was told.

"We ha'e a boat chasing down the ones that were trying tae stop Lady Anne, M'Lady. If God is wi' us, they're all dead the now." Aiden told her.

"Ranald, take some men and ride tae the clans. Ha'e them assemble here at Tioram and we'll sail fer the castle, while another group ride ahead and we'll take them from the land bridge as well."

"Lady Anne, do ye know how many are there?" Aiden asked her, in as light a tone as he could.

"No, I ha'e no idea how many, but it did'ne seem like that there were that many who stormed in. There could'ne ha'e been more than twenty or so at best, I'm just no sure, Aiden." she choked out, then broke into tears again. Arabella hugged her to her bosom and comforted her, while looking at Aiden.

"Probably an advance group tae take the castle by surprise and hold it, while the rest come from Glencoe." Aiden opined his thoughts to Lady Arabella.

"Arabella, may I beg of a small favour from ye?" Lady Anne sobbed, with a pleading in her eyes.

"What is it, Anne?" her thoughts were that Anne wished the head of Blair MacRae to be handed to her, which she would gladly do herself.

"There's a man, Jacob Dornie. He was a fisherman close tae the castle. He brought me tae Camus, but he was killed trying tae save me. He lies the now in his boat, on the shores of Camus. I ask that his body be brought here and gi'en a proper burial befitting his deeds. Can ye do this fer me, Arabella?" her eyes held Arabella's, her hands grasping at her arms and pleaded to her that this meant a great deal to her.

"Aye, it'll be done, Anne." she said in compassion. "Aiden, send a boat back tae Camus and return wi' Jacob. Set a watch in the castle and station twenty men tae guard it. Send another up tae Dunvegan and warn them of the troubles as well. We'll need the help of the MacLeod's wi' this. Grayson is wi' Garreth, so make sure they both know and ha'e them come here." she ordered.

Aiden bowed to both Ladies and parted with several men to the castle courtyard.

"When Glenn returns, ha'e his men fetch Jacob tae me and then I want ye two, tae sail back and do as Lady Arabella has commanded." he ordered his two captains.

As he went to turn back into the castle, the lookout gave the signal two birlinns were sailing up the loch. Aiden raced from the castle, along with many others, hoping it wasn't a raiding party. They watched as they drew nearer, then the waving of hands signalled it was Glenn in the MacDonnell boat and his men sailing the one owned by the MacRae's. A rousing cheer went up that the enemy had been beaten and didn't make it back to Donan to warn the others. The birlinns pulled tight onto the coral beach and anchors were dropped. The men all leapt from the sides and came to shore. Aiden rushed to Glenn for the news.

"I see ye accomplished yer mission, Glenn, and secured another birlinn fer the MacDonald's. What of the MacRae's? Did ye see anything?" he asked in urgency.

"We took them at the island in the loch and left their bodies tae be eaten by the fish, Aiden. I did'ne get close enough tae see any movement, but a lot of black smoke was rising from beside the castle." Glenn knew in his heart what the smoke meant, but it was hard to disguise on his face what he knew.

Aiden looked into Glenn's eyes and knew what the smoke meant as well. He laid his hand on his shoulder to steady him, knowing some of his relatives were creating it.

"They'll be avenged, Glenn. Mark my words in yer heart, it shall be done." Aiden assured him with the strength of his conviction.

Within the passing of an hour, horses and riders were on their way to the surrounding clan members and two birlinns sailed out of Loch Moidart, manned with heavily armed troops.

Arabella took Lady Anne to her chambers and had her rest. The servant came in with a hot drink of herbal tea and honey for both Ladies and placed it on the table by the bed. She bowed and exited quietly, as Arabella thanked her with her smile and the look in her eyes, before turning back to Anne and talked.

"What shall I do, Arabella? My life is ruined and that of all those in the castle." her eyes awash in tears, her face distorted with painful visions of what lay ahead.

"No tae worry, Anne. The seat of the MacDonnell's is Eilean Donan and so it shall be ag'in. We ha'e a contract of Manrent tae protect ye and so we shall." her words giving some comfort to Anne and her future.

Anne weakly smiled up to her from the bed and took a few sips of the tea. Arabella stroked her head in comfort and smiled wanly back, knowing what lay ahead of her and Grayson, to take back Donan from the MacRae's.

She walked to the window and looked out at the still waters of the loch and remembered times past, when she had to take charge, after her father, John was killed. Her memory drifted back to her life as a child, playing happily about the castle, then to her education at becoming a knowledgeable Lady of the Clan MacDonald and a warrior in her own right.

12