Bring on the Wonder Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
MugsyB
MugsyB
2,729 Followers

She was washing her hands after finishing her make-up when the doorbell rang. She grabbed a towel and poked her head out the doorway. "Baby? Can you get that?"

Nate didn't respond and the doorbell rang again in another few seconds. Frowning, Lizzie dropped the towel on the counter and made her way downstairs. She reached the front door as the doorbell went off again.

She opened the door, an irritated greeting on her lips that died when she saw who it was. "Nate?"

"Good evening, Miss Whittenberg."

Lizzie blinked and looked him up and down. He was wearing dark grey slacks and a dark rose colored shirt with a grey coat. He was holding a small bouquet of fresh flowers, an assortment of her favorites; pink peonies, green mums, and white roses.

"Nate, what is this?"

"A beautiful bouquet, for a beautiful woman." He held them towards her.

Lizzie looked up, her eyes searching his face. He smiled at her, his excited expression softening into the expression that she adored. She looked down at the flowers in his hands again, blinking back sudden tears.

"Thank you. They're lovely." She took them from his outstretched hand and brought them to her face. She inhaled and closed her eyes at the mixture of fragrances between the peonies and roses. She opened her eyes to see Nate watching her, his eyes dark. "What have I done to earn such a gift?"

"You're going to allow me to escort you to dinner this evening."

"Am I?" Lizzie breathed in the scent of her flowers again. "I don't recall being asked."

Nate's lips curved up in one corner and his eyes sparkled with mirth. "Miss Whittenberg. It would be my pleasure, and a great honor, if you would consent to be my date for tonight."

Lizzie raised her eyebrows at his formality. This was, she realized, all part of his surprise and she felt nervous excitement flutter in her belly at the thought of a night out with Nate. A thought occurred to her and Nate must have seen her smile slip.

He stepped closer to the doorway and touched her cheek, a liberty a gentleman caller would never take. "Lizzie, sweetie. It's all right. I have a plan and no one we know will see us."

Lizzie hated that they had to hide what they were to each other but she smiled at him anyway, grateful for him setting her mind at ease. It occurred to her then that they'd never had a proper date together. Living together and the very nature of their relationship had so far prevented it. It was easy to say that there was no reason for him to woo or seduce her with dates and flowers every week, but she couldn't deny that it was inspiring new and delightful feelings in her.

"Mr. Whittenberg, I'd be delighted to allow you to escort me out." She turned her face and brushed her lips across his palm before he withdrew his hand.

"Excellent." Nate grinned and took a step back. "Would you like to put those in some water before we go?"

"Yes." She turned and paused, looking over her shoulder. "Would you like to come in?"

His grinned widened. "Is that appropriate?"

She pretended to consider, her mind racing when she thought of what they'd last done in the kitchen. "I suppose we may have to take that chance."

Nate chuckled and walked into the house behind her, pulling the door closed behind him. They didn't speak as she went into the kitchen, filled a vase and dropped the flowers into the water. Nate waited patiently in the front hall while Lizzie went back upstairs to grab her purse and jacket. The air was turning from summer to fall, at last, and there was a bite in the air most evenings now. When she arrived back at the foyer, she gave Nate a rueful smile.

"I'm sorry for taking so long."

"Don't worry about it." Nate watched as she slipped her feet into some shoes and reached for her jacket to help her with it. "We have time."

"Time for what?" Lizzie tugged her hair free of the jacket and smiled up at her brother.

He palmed her cheek and she felt the warmth of his touch right down to the tips of her toes. "Time for everything, sweet Lizzie."

****

Nate was pleased with the reaction he'd had from Lizzie at the front door. He was even more pleased when she'd decided to go along with him and his plan.

"Will you tell me where we're going?"

Nate glanced over to see Lizzie watching the landscape glide past outside her window. He reached for her hand, relieved when she squeezed his fingers in response.

"Don't you want to be surprised?"

She laughed and turned to look at him. "What is it with you and surprises all of a sudden?"

"I like being able to surprise you." He drew her hand to his lips and kissed her knuckles. "It makes me feel smarter than you for a change."

"Come on. I'm not smarter than you."

He raised his eyebrows and she laughed.

"All right. I'll stop asking questions." She jiggled his hand in hers. "I can only assume we'll be going somewhere that will put enough distance between us and anywhere that we could run into people."

"Clever girl."

She winked. "And we're headed south, towards Homewood. I'm not familiar with all the places to eat out here, but I trust you were able to find something nice."

"You think too much, Lizzie."

Lizzie laughed again and kissed his hand in turn. They rode in silence for some time, holding hands and simply enjoying being in each other's company. After another twenty minutes or so, Nate turned into the parking lot of a small restaurant called The Redwater.

"I've never heard of this place." Lizzie looked out her window as he pulled into a parking space.

"Not a lot of people have." Nate smiled and shut the engine off. He pushed his door open and laid a hand on Lizzie's arm. "Let me get the door for you."

He hurried around the car, inordinately pleased with his plan for the evening. So far, Lizzie hadn't stopped smiling and he loved being able to act the part of the perfect gentleman for her.

He opened her door and held a hand out. "Here you go."

She put her hand in his and let him help her out. When she stood beside him, Nate had to pause and he stared down into her beautiful eyes. She blinked and a smile broke out across her face. "What?"

"You're stunning." He tugged her hand and brought her into the circle of his arms.

Color stained her cheeks and her lashes lowered. Nate touched her face and she looked back up at him.

"I don't think a gentleman would kiss a lady at the beginning of a date."

Her words made him laugh. "Probably not." He stroked a finger over her bottom lip. "You make me not want to be a gentleman right now."

He watched her pupils dilate and had to resist the urge to push her into the back seat of the car where he could have his way with her.

Plenty of time for that later.

Swallowing his desire, he cleared his throat and gave her a crooked smile. "But I'm a strong enough man to control myself."

Her right eyebrow cocked and he chuckled.

"Well, for a few hours at least."

She laughed with him and they turned to walk to the restaurant doors.

The hostess greeted them inside the front doors. "Good evening. Do you have a reservation?"

"Yes, for Nathaniel."

She checked her list and looked up with a smile. "Wonderful. Welcome to The Redwater, sir, madam. May I take your coats?" They handed them over and she tucked them into the small cloak room to her left before turning to the dining room. "Right this way, if you please."

She led the way through the busy but muted dining room. Lizzie looked around as they walked and Nate watched her out of the corner of his eye. The restaurant was fancy but small, with maybe a maximum of twenty tables. He'd chosen this place because of it's seclusion and the sense of privacy one could feel even in the middle of the dining room. The lighting was kept low, but not too dark. The number of tables allowed for more space between them, lending to more privacy.

"Here you go." The hostess stopped at the table Nate had specifically requested. It was tucked into a corner, close to a bay window that overlooked the nearby state park, with the lights from the town reflecting off a small lake.

"Oh wow. What a lovely view." Lizzie gazed out the window before turning her smile on Nate.

"Let me." He let go of her hand to pull her chair out for her. She sat down and he brushed his hand over her shoulder before stepping away. He felt her shiver and smiled to himself. He could admit to low self-control when it came to his sister but it pleased him to no end that she was the same way with him.

As he sat down, the hostess set their menus on the table. "Your server will be Celeste. She'll be along shortly to take your drink orders."

"Thank you."

"Enjoy your evening." She walked away, leaving Lizzie and Nate gazing at each other across the table.

"Is this what you were doing this morning while I was still sleeping?" Lizzie asked.

Nate shrugged. "I'd researched some restaurants in the area over the past few days and this one had the best reviews. I came earlier to see what it really looked like and I was lucky enough to get a reservation for tonight."

"Yes. This table, on a Saturday night. I'd say you were pretty lucky."

He smiled and reached across the table for her hand. "With you, Lizzie, I always feel lucky."

She softened and squeezed his fingers. A few moments later, the server, Celeste appeared by their table. Nate ordered a bottle of wine for them to share and she hurried away to fill the request.

"Did you research the menu too?" Lizzie picked up her menu and scanned the first page.

"A little. They have some of everything. Steak, seafood, local produce." Nate lifted his menu and they read in silence for a few minutes.

"Ooh. Can we get an appetizer?"

Nate chuckled at her excited tone. "Lizzie, sweetie, we can get whatever you want."

She beamed at him and pointed at an item on the starters list. "This Ahi tuna carpaccio looks tasty."

Nate read the description and had to agree. They decided on that for an appetizer and then moved on to discussing entrees. Celeste returned with their wine, they placed the order for the starter and said they still needed some time for the main course.

Lizzie pressed her lips together. "I can't decide between the rotisserie chicken and the Mediterranean Flatbread."

"I think I'm going to go with the herb and apple glazed pork chop."

"Yeah? Where's that?"

Nate pointed it out and Lizzie pouted. "Man, how am I ever going to make up my mind?"

He chuckled and patted her hand. "Just say the first thing you think of when the waitress returns."

She laughed and shook her head. "I might pick something else entirely!"

"Then you pick something else. This doesn't have the be the only time we come here."

She tilted her head to one side and smiled. "Yeah? You mean we can come here on more dates?"

"Why not?" Nate grinned. "Here, other places. Whatever we want."

They stared at each other for a long moment, silent. Nate watched her face, waiting for some sign of the despair and sadness she'd been carrying around for so long. He hated that their relationship was a cause for such mixed emotions in her. He wanted nothing but to make her happy and as long as things stayed the way they were, she wouldn't be.

"Is that what this is?"

Nate blinked, drawn out of his thoughts by the sound of her voice. "Is this what?"

"This." She looked away, her view taking in the restaurant and other patrons. She lifted a hand and gestured between them. "This date. Are you proving that we can be a normal couple?"

Nate didn't know what to say. That was part of it, yes, but she sounded as if she didn't know if it was a good thing or not.

Lizzie's face tensed and she looked down at the table. Nate leaned forward, wanting to say something to ease that tension, but the waitress appeared at their side again and asked if they were ready to order.

Nate ordered his pork dish and Lizzie decided on the flatbread. Left alone again, Nate gazed at her, his thoughts in a whirl.

"You're not happy with this?"

She smiled. "It's not that, Nate. This is wonderful." She turned to look out the window and he followed her gaze, watching the last light of the sun fade. "You put so much thought into it and I love you for it." She turned back to him. "I love you, Nate, with all my heart."

"I love you, too."

"I know." She reached over and laid her hand in his. "But a few trips to neighboring towns for dinner now and then doesn't make us a normal couple."

"Why not?"

"Because we're not. We never will be."

Nate was again struck mute. What could he say to that? She was right, of course. This night, his suggestion of getting away once in a while was all just a way to pretend. He'd thought it was a good idea but now he wasn't so sure.

"What do you suggest then, Lizzie?"

She shrugged and shook her head. "I don't know. I don't have any answers. I never have. That's what upsets me."

"You want to forget about dating? About ever going out in public together?" Nate didn't know why he was getting so worked up. Maybe it was because his grand surprise had just flopped. "Should we just call it quits now and save us both the heartache?"

The hurt that flickered across her face nearly gutted him. He regretted his words the instant they left his mouth and clamped his fingers around hers when he felt her start to withdraw.

"No, Lizzie. I didn't mean that. I'm sorry."

"Then why say it?" She tugged again on her hand but he wouldn't let her go.

He would never let her go.

"I'm as frustrated as you are. I don't know what to say or do anymore to make this better."

"You can't make it better. This is how it is."

Nate pursed his lips. He refused to believe that. They needed to figure out a way to be together and make this work. If they didn't, this sense of frustration and unease would eat away at both of them until their relationship would grow bitter and resentful. Eventually, that would separate them and Nate already knew he couldn't live without her. He would just as soon end his own life. Dramatic? Maybe. Also the truth.

In the silence, Celeste reappeared to deliver their appetizer. After she was gone again, Nate sipped his wine and dropped his gaze to the food. Lizzie withdrew her hand to unfold her napkin on her lap.

"This looks good," she murmured, her eyes on the dish.

Nate nodded.

Lizzie looked up and gave him a weak smile. "I'm sorry, Nate."

"For what?"

"For ruining the night. Already."

He shook his head. "You didn't ruin it."

She stared at him. "Didn't I?"

"No." He leaned forward, bringing their faces as close together as he could across the table. "But we are not done discussing this, Lizzie."

She nodded. "I hope not."

Satisfied, Nate nodded and sat back. "Let's eat."

They dug into the starter and after a few bites, they began to relax again. When they started talking, they stuck to subjects like work, the next family dinner, and Nate's next appointment with Lance.

"Are you going to ask him about me?" Lizzie asked as Celeste brought their entrees to the table.

"I don't know. Does he know that I know you spent that month with him?"

Lizzie's cheeks turned pink at the mention of their month apart. Nate knew she still battled her guilt over that period of time. "I don't know. He never mentioned anything about it when I saw him. He only talked about finding out about us."

Nate nodded and picked up his knife and fork. "Well, I guess I'll find out when I see him."

"You're not going to pick a fight are you?"

Nate laughed. "Are you kidding? Why would I pick a fight? The most we might do is argue in raised voices."

Lizzie grinned. "Good thing. I wouldn't want him to kick your ass."

"Me either," Nate agreed in all seriousness. "Eat your dinner, smartie pants."

Lizzie laughed and did as he told her. They were silent for a few minutes as they savored their meals. Nate was surprised at how hungry he was, especially after that scrumptious appetizer but he devoured his meal in no time. He looked up to see Lizzie polishing off her dinner almost as fast.

"This is so good." She looked up between bites. "We definitely have to come back here again."

Nate smiled and nodded in agreement. He bring her here every night if it put a smile like that on her face each time. When they were both done, Celeste cleared their table and asked if they wanted dessert.

"Yes, please." Lizzie loved her desserts and Nate loved to watch her enjoying them. She might complain about the extra pounds on her hips but he knew she'd never give up her sweet treats.

"Here's the dessert selection." Celeste handed over the small placard. "I'll be back in a moment to take your order."

"What do they have?" Nate asked.

"Oh wow. Panacotta... ooh, and a dark chocolate souffle!"

"You're going to get that, aren't you?"

Lizzie nodded and set the dessert menu down. "Of course. I love me some dark chocolate."

Nate narrowed his eyes as his imagination fired up. "I might enjoy dark chocolate some more if it was spread all over your naked body."

Lizzie blinked, surprised by his confession. A slow smile spread across her face as she leaned her elbows on the table. "Oh yeah? That's the only way you'd eat it?"

Nate nodded.

"Then maybe we should ask Celeste if we can have the dessert to go."

Nate's blood heated at the thought. He could already imagine Lizzie spread out on a bed, covered in bittersweet chocolate. No, even better, spread out on a table, as if she was dessert itself.

"I don't think I could wait to get home."

Lizzie giggled and sat back as the waitress approached. "We'll have the chocolate souffle to share, please."

"Good choice." Celeste smiled as she took the menu back. "I'll be just a few minutes."

Nate and Lizzie stared at each other in silence across the table after Celeste was gone again. They didn't need to speak to express their desire and love for each other. Nate clenched his jaw when he felt Lizzie's bare foot slide up his leg.

"You little tease," he managed to say.

"Who, me?" She fluttered her lashes at him like an innocent before sliding her foot higher. "I don't know what you mean."

"You will when I throw you face down in bed."

Lizzie's eyes widened a fraction and she grinned. "Do you promise?"

Holy shit. Nate nodded. He'd promise her anything if only she'd take care of the hard ache in his pants.

When the waitress returned, she left the dessert on the table and said she'd be back with the bill. When she returned, they'd made a fair dent in the souffle. Nate paid right away and after a few more bites, they were ready to go. Nate stood up, offering his hand to Lizzie. They strode out of the restaurant, weaving through the few tables and out the front door, pausing only to pick up their coats.

They drove home from there, without saying much. They held hands and every so often, Nate lifted her fingers to his lips. When they got home, they made their way inside to settle for the night.

In their shared bedroom, in the muted light from his bedside lamp, Nate watched her slip out of the dress he'd picked and felt his breath catch at the sight of her. She was all slender curves and wide hips. Her hair tumbled over her shoulders and down between her shoulder blades as she pulled the clips free. He watched her walk into the bathroom to wash her face and followed to watch her from the doorway.

She eyed him in the mirror and gave him a quizzical smile. "What are you doing?"

He shook his head. He wasn't sure. He just loved to watch her, to see the way she moved. Every time she lifted something with her slender artist's fingers or bent to toss some tissue in the garbage, she looked amazing. He told her so.

She laughed and faced the mirror again as she reached for her hair brush. "You're such a big softie, Nate."

Nate stepped up behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist. He put his chin on her shoulder and she dragged her hair over her other shoulder to brush it out. He watched her in the mirror this time, appreciating the sight of her high, perfect breasts and the soft roundness of her belly.

MugsyB
MugsyB
2,729 Followers