Brodricksburg Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I didn't think to tell him not to tell Linda."

"If you really don't want me here, I'll leave," Carrie said.

"Don't leave. I am glad you're here," I said.

"I still don't understand why you didn't want me to know that you injured your ankle."

"I knew you would feel sorry for me. I want you to be with me because you want to be with me, not because you feel sorry for me."

Carrie had finished serving out the food and turned to look at me. "I do feel sorry for you and want to take care of you but that's because I care about you. We aren't apart because I don't love you anymore. The reason we are separated and not divorced is because I do still love you and I know you still love me. I just can't be with you when you don't trust me. All of the fighting was breaking my heart. I want us to be back together but I am not going to rush things just because you hurt your ankle. I want to help you but it doesn't mean I am going to ask you to come home yet."

For the first time since she asked me to move out I really understood why she had done it and I knew she was right. I was starting to understand the truth. It just didn't all make sense yet.

Carrie and I ate the dinner she had brought and then sat and talked like we did before the trouble started. Carrie didn't leave until almost ten o'clock that night and on her way out she kissed me, said that she would call me the next night, and then said that she was free Thursday night. She suggested that she would come over and make dinner for us at my apartment.

*****

Progress Report

*****

My ankle hadn't improved much overnight. My morning routines took much longer then usual so I didn't get to the station until almost 8:30 AM. I was pulling into the parking lot when I saw Agent Van Horn leaving the building. He never even looked in my direction as he got into his car and drove away.

I took the elevator up to the third floor and as I walked through the bay I saw Hanratty sitting in Captain Ross' office.

I thought to myself, "What the hell is Hanratty talking to Ross about?"

Rather than going to my desk I went straight to Chief Pasiak's office. When he saw me standing at his door he motioned me in. "Sit down, Brian."

I sat down in front of his desk.

"How's the ankle?"

"It hurts."

"Shouldn't you be home resting it?"

"Is that what you would do?" I asked.

The Chief smiled at me. "No."

"I saw Agent Van Horn in the parking lot. What did he want?" I asked.

"He was just sniffing around to see if we were investigating Commissioner Buske."

"What did you tell him?"

"I told him that I had my best man on it and we were making slow progress," the Chief said. "Then I asked him how the FBI's case against CSC was going. Agent Van Horn didn't want to discuss that."

"Figures."

"Have there been any new developments?" the Chief asked.

"Nothing new," I said. "I am thinking that we may have to use his lover to nail him."

"What did you have in mind?"

"I am guessing that the Commissioner will probably go to the Automotive Aftermarket Products Expo again this October. If he does and if he takes his lover with him, I was thinking I might be able to convince his lover to wear a wire," I said.

"How will we justify the wire? I don't think we have enough evidence to get a warrant."

"I'm still working on that, sir."

*****

Hanratty's New Friend

*****

Back at my desk I found a note from Hanratty. "I am hitting the street with Captain Ross. If you get out of your secret meeting with the Chief in time you can meet us at DDs."

The note gave me the impression that Hanratty was bothered by my private meetings with Chief Pasiak. I could understand that but Hanratty becoming friendly with Ross bothered me. Hanratty never liked Ross so why was he going for coffee with him?

I didn't know if Ross was involved with Commissioner Buske in any way but I had some suspicions about it. I began to wonder if Ross was trying to recruit Hanratty to spy on me. If that were the case, it would mean that Ross knew that I was investigating the Commissioner, but how could he know that? Chief Pasiak and I were the only ones that knew. It wasn't as if it were an active investigation. One person, slowly working the investigation for over six months being careful not to arouse anyone's interest but somehow Captain Ross seemed to know what I was up to.

I thought about that for over an hour but I couldn't come to any conclusions so I moved on. Ever since I had passed by the Boland house on my way to Grayson Road Sunday evening I had it in my mind that I should give Mrs. Boland a call and let her know that I hadn't forgotten about her.

I pulled out my notes on the Boland case and found the phone number. I called the number and got a message that the number I was calling was no longer in service. That got my interest. I went back through my notes again and found the number in Philadelphia for Mrs. Boland's daughter.

"Mrs. Turner, this is Lt. Hobbs of the Brodricksburg Police Department. I was trying to reach your mother. Do you have a number where I can reach her?"

"What is this in reference to?" Mrs. Turner asked.

"I wanted to speak to her about your father."

"Have you found out who killed him?" she asked.

"I'm sorry, no. I haven't found out anything new but I wanted to talk to your mother and let her know that I haven't forgotten about the case."

"Just a minute," Mrs. Turner said.

She must have put her hand over the mouthpiece because I could not hear anything.

"Lt. Hobbs, what can I do for you?" Mrs. Boland said.

"Mrs. Boland, how are you?"

"I am fine, thank you, Lieutenant. My daughter said that you wanted to talk to me."

"Yes, I do. I wanted you to know that I haven't forgotten about your husband. Unfortunately I haven't found anything new but I haven't given up. I tried to call you at home but was informed that your phone had been disconnected."

"I no longer live there," Mrs. Boland said.

"Did you sell the house?" I asked.

"Not yet, but I have an offer. Back in June someone put an option to buy on the house and property. He has until the end of November to exercise the option."

"Who offered the option to buy for your property?"

"I don't know. Stephen Farlow made the offer but said that he represented someone that wanted to remain anonymous for now. Actually I'm not supposed to tell anyone about the deal until after November but I thought you already knew about it."

"Why would you think that I already knew about it?"

"Your wife came out to the house with Mr. Farlow to close the deal. She had all the legal papers I had to sign with her."

"My wife was acting as a legal aid, which means she would have violated client attorney privilege if she had told me about the deal."

"I was wondering why you were asking me about something I thought you already knew about."

"Mrs. Boland, was Stephen Farlow the man who asked your husband if he would be interested in selling your farm?"

"Oh, no. I would have remembered that. Don and I have known Mr. Farlow for years."

When I put the phone down I couldn't help but wonder about the two business deals involving options to buy land that I had discovered in the last 24 hours. Farlow Realty had handled both of the deals and Carrie handled the legal aspects of the closings on both of them. I didn't know what to make of this information. After all, there was nothing illegal about these transactions.

The one thing that kept me from pushing this from my mind was something that Mrs. Boland had told me during the original investigation of her husband's death. Mrs. Boland said that before his death, Mr. Boland had received a call from someone that asked him if he would be interested in selling his farm. Could it have been the same person that now held the option to buy on the Boland and the Izzo properties?

My ankle was starting to throb again so I decided to work from home and put the heating pad on my ankle.

*****

Working From Home

*****

At one o'clock that afternoon I was sitting on my sofa with my right foot up on the coffee table. I had a heating blanket wrapped around my ankle. I was digging through the Brodricksburg phone directory and making a list of names and phone numbers I wanted to contact. I was just about to pick up the phone to start making calls when someone knocked on my door.

"Come on in, it's not locked."

Hanratty walked in and said, "Someone in your condition should really keep their door locked. You never know who might just walk in."

"You're right. You are living proof of that."

"Is that anyway to treat your best friend."

"If you're my best friend, why did you tell Carrie about my ankle when I specifically asked you not to?"

"I didn't tell her."

"Right. Linda told her but you told Linda and you knew that Linda would tell her so it amounts to the same thing," I said.

"Yeah, I guess it does. Sorry, but I just thought it might help you two get back together. Did she call you?"

"No."

"She didn't?"

"No. She came over here and brought dinner with her."

"Really? That was a good thing, wasn't it?"

"Yes. We had a nice talk."

"That's what Linda and I were hoping."

"I supposed you expect me to thank you," I said.

"You don't have to."

"Good because I am not going to."

"Hey, I am sorry about that note I left you this morning. Ross was standing there watching me. I don't know what you are into but whatever it is you have Ross in a near panic," Hanratty said.

"How do you mean?"

"First thing this morning he calls me into his office, acting real friendly. Said he just wanted a chat with me. The funny thing was he was really friendly for a while. Then he asks me if you have said anything about the case you're working on for the Chief.

"I told him I didn't know what you were doing for the Chief and he asked me if it bothers me that you're shutting me out like that. I admit that I don't like that you have to keep a secret from me but I trust that you have a good reason for not telling me what you are up to. I wanted to see what Ross was after. I told him that it really bugged me that I couldn't get you to tell me anything.

"That's when Ross suggested we go out and get some coffee and he followed me over to your desk while I wrote you that note."

"I assume that he wants you to spy on me?" I said.

"He was a little more subtle than that, but yes, he wants me to spy on you. He said that all he wants to know is what you are working on. He feels that the Chief is unfairly excluding him from important police business."

"What do you get in return for spying on me?"

"He told me that he could help me make lieutenant. Then I wouldn't have to take orders from you anymore."

"So what are you going to do?" I asked.

"Spy on you, of course. I am supposed to try and find out what you are working on and tell him."

"Is that all?"

"That's all. I go see him in a couple of days and tell him I haven't found out yet but I am working on it."

"How long do you think you can keep that up?'

"Until you finish whatever it is you're working on."

"Maybe I can help you out. I am going to give you something to do without explaining why. Then in a couple of days you can tell Ross what I asked you to do and let him try and figure out what I am up to."

"Will he be able to figure out what you are working on for the Chief from the information I'll give him?"

"No. What I am going to have you do is unrelated to the work I am doing for the Chief."

"Okay, what do you want me to do?" Hanratty asked.

I handed him the list of names addresses and phone numbers and the questions I wanted answered.

"I want you to talk to these people and ask them these questions. Get them on the phone or go out and see them. Try your best to get a hold of as many of them as possible."

Hanratty studied the list for a moment. "I think I'll drive out there and start going door to door. How soon do you need this?"

"As soon as you can get it. In the morning we can talk about whatever you find out today."

"Okay, I'll get started on this right now."

*****

Dinner With Carrie

*****

Thursday night Carrie came over to the apartment and made lasagna. I sat and watched as she prepared the dinner and thought about how much I loved her. I knew that I had been wrong to suspect that Carrie might have been cheating on me but that wasn't enough to get us back together. I had hurt her with my distrust and accusations. I was going to have to give her time to forgive me but I had the feeling that it wouldn't be much longer before we would be back together.

While we ate I asked Carrie about work. She told me that she was spending most of her time working on real estate deals. I wanted to ask her about the real estate deals she was working on but that wouldn't be fair. The reason she was at my apartment was so that we could work on repairing our marriage not be questioned about a case I was working on.

"Are you still meeting with the School Board Planning Committee on Wednesday nights?"

"Yep, every Wednesday?"

"Making any progress?"

"Actually, yes. The board is finally moving forward to put a bond referendum on the ballot in November."

"How much they going to ask for?"

"$500 million."

"Wow. Why so much?"

"They estimated it would cost $200 million to purchase the land at the Fort Brodrick State Park and another $300 million to build three schools on the site."

"So they are going ahead with the fort site?"

"Yes. That's what Mayor Gargas and Superintendent Kelley have wanted all along. Most of the hold up was from a couple of board members that wanted to build out west of the city."

"It seems that this has been going on forever. How long has the board been fighting over the location for the new schools?"

"This started before we moved here," Carrie said.

"What do you think of that decision to put the schools on the fort site?" I asked.

"You know that I was against the fort site but why should they listen to me? I just tried to stay out of that battle."

"They should listen to you because we will have kids going to school here someday so what we think does matter."

Carrie smiled at me. "I hope so," she said. "You know if it were up to me I would have chosen the site out west of town. That's all farmland owned by a few dairy farmers that are going out of business. The money they would have gotten for the land would have been a big help to them. Giving $200 million dollars to the state doesn't help anyone. We would lose a beautiful park to build three schools that could have been built someplace else."

"That's interesting. I never thought of it that way," I said.

"I know this isn't interesting to you but you don't have to make fun of me," Carrie said.

"I am not making fun of you. I know how hard you have been working on this and I would never poke fun at what you do."

The rest of the evening was filed with pleasant conversation. As Carrie prepared to leave I said, "Next time I cook dinner at your place?"

"No. I am not ready to have you at the house yet."

"Why?"

"It would be too hard for me to send you home after dinner."

"And that's a bad thing?"

"I'm just not ready for that yet."

*****

Following Farlow

*****

It was Thursday afternoon. It had been just over a week since I asked Hanratty to contact the people on the list I gave him. He had finally managed to contact everyone on the list. He had no idea what I was looking for but it was obvious that he knew the information he gave me was important. He could see how it all tied together.

"You know, getting this information was like pulling teeth. These people didn't want to talk to me about this," Hanratty said. "They had been told not to tell anyone about the deals. So, what do you think is going on?"

"I am not sure. This all looks legal but I just sense that there is something sinister going on here. Two of these deals haven't been completed yet," I said. "I am going to keep an eye on these and see what happens."

"What do you want me to do?"

"Have you talked to Ross about this?"

Hanratty smiled. "I told Ross that you were looking to reopen the investigation into Donald Boland's death."

"Why did you tell him that?"

"When I looked at this list I noticed that the only address missing was 5219," Hanratty said. "I wasn't sure if there was a connection or not but I didn't feel comfortable telling Ross that I was contacting all of these people so I feed him the idea about you still trying to prove that Boland was murdered."

"Good job. You'll actually make a pretty good cop some day."

"Will I be as good as you?"

"Oh, no. But you might be better than Ross," I joked. "What did Ross say?"

"He was pissed. He was almost foaming at the mouth when he said, 'That was a fucking suicide.'"

"Maybe that will keep him off the scent for a while. If he asks you for an update, tell him I'm not making any progress."

"Will do."

I was supposed to have a dinner date with Carrie that night but she had called to cancel. She said that she was going to have to work that evening. She said it was a real estate deal but that was all she could tell me. Carrie was planning to go to Philadelphia to visit her parents over the weekend so we had to plan our next date for the following Thursday.

At 8:30 that evening I drove out River Road and parked in the driveway at the Boland's house. From there I was able to watch the activity around 5107 River Road. 5107 River Road was the home of William and Carolyn Patterson. From where I was parked I could see Carrie's car parked in the Patterson's driveway. The car in front of Carrie's appeared to be Stephen Farlow's car. I had not followed Carrie out to the Patterson's house but I knew she would be there. Well, I didn't know she would be at the Pattersons' house but I was pretty sure she would be at one of two addresses on River Road. Like I said, I wasn't following Carrie but her car helped me locate the house I wanted to watch.

Carrie and Farlow were in the house for nearly an hour. When they came out Carrie got into her car and drove away. I didn't move. It wasn't Carrie I was interested in. I assumed that Carrie would be headed home anyway. I waited until Stephen Farlow pulled out onto River Road and headed north into the city and then, staying well back so that he would not spot me, I followed him.

Farlow drove to the Brodricksburg Inn. I gave him ten minutes to get inside before I got out of my car to follow. My hope was that Farlow was there to meet his client. The one putting options to buy on properties along River Road. My thinking was that Farlow's client might be responsible for Donald Boland's death.

There was no way I could go into the bar and not be recognized. My hope was that Farlow and his client would just ignore me. After all, they had no reason to believe I was interested in what they were doing.

When I walked into the bar there were only a few people there and Farlow was not among them.

"Shit, I lost him."

"Hey, Hobbs, how ya doin?" It was Ralph, the Inn's bartender that spoke to me.

I was trapped. I couldn't ignore Ralph. I wanted people to think I was just there to have a drink, not because I was following someone. I walked over to the bar and sat on a stool.

"I'm doing okay, Ralph. How are you?"

"Couldn't be better. What can I get ya?"

"Give me a Yuengling."

When Ralph brought my beer he asked, "So what brings you out here tonight? Don't usually see you here without your wife."

"Carrie had to work and I just needed to get out of the house."

"Glad ya came in. It has been slow tonight."

"I thought Thursday nights is when all of the movers and shakers came out here," I said.

"That is why I came here. I wanted to drink with the rich and famous."