Captured by the Elves Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Finally, Braith tuned her attention to Katania. Gods, I felt so bad that I had hogged the attention. Even now I know that I will pay for that when the accounting of my whole life takes place. Braith noticed the bandages just as Dria's southern elves had.

"Who has treated her?" she asked.

"Does it matter? Please, help her."

Braith looked at me. I saw the sadness in her eyes. "Kiari, please be honest with me."

I waited for as long as I could. There wasn't going to be any denying of it. I wasn't good at lying to Braith anyway.

"I tried making friends with the mundane elves," I said. "There might be hope there one day. I asked their chieftain to help us. They did what they could, but he wasn't optimistic about her chances."

"Mundane elves? Are you mad? They hate us."

"Not as much as we might think. We may be able to talk to them in the future."

"Landa and Teagan will learn of this soon."

"They already knew that the mundane elves were out there. It's not a surprise."

Braith only shook her head. She resorted to being a healer again and spent time examining Katania and asking me several questions about how she was injured. The look on Braith's face didn't give me confidence.

I was expecting Landa to turn up, and she didn't disappoint. The tall red head had come alone. She waited a long time to speak, her presence was such a real force that we were all just waiting for it to happen. Even in such trying times she cut a remarkable figure. Her lean frame wore the typical outfit of twin vests over a short white tunic, but she'd added other embellishments to it including pieces of leather and metal armor that she'd taken from fallen opponents.

She moved right up to me with nary a word, and took my hand in hers. Finally, Landa said, "Here you are. I thought that I'd lost you."

The words were caught in my throat at first, but I found the means to speak. I said: "Things were pretty bad and they still are, but I made it back. Katania told me that things here were..."

She frowned. "Bad? A little sporting perhaps, but I can imagine worse."

"Could we speak alone?"

Landa looked at the other elves. "Leave us," she said. They quickly did. Landa looked at Braith. "You may stay."

Braith eyed her. "I wasn't going to leave her alone with you."

"Tsk, tsk, Braith."

Landa looked towards Ericka. To my surprise, my very willful convert shrank before the gaze of Landa. The chieftain grinned. "And who are you, beautiful?"

"Uh...I'm...Ericka."

Landa's green eyes drank in all of Ericka. The chieftain said, "Of course you are, beautiful. Kairi made you, didn't she?"

"Yes."

Landa smiled. It was as sexy as it was intimidating. She said, "You even look like her...a little. The girls in our community will be fighting over you."

I couldn't tell if Ericka was excited or nervous about the prospect.

"You can stay too," said Landa. "If I let you go outside by yourself you might get taken away." She looked around. "Is this private enough for you? I'm rather busy right now if you were wondering."

"I met with the commander of the human army. I spoke to him at length."

"Truly? Did he offer terms for his surrender? I'll be generous."

"They asked me questions. I tried to give them as little as I could."

"I hope so," said Landa. She touched my cheek. "I have high expectations of you."

"The leader is a Lord Collins from Tamwellon, a city in the eastern kingdoms. They're waiting for reinforcements to use against the far easterners."

"I see...well, surely some must have made it. We were not too greedy."

"Please take this seriously."

"I am. Go on, Kairi."

"Collins is here on a personal matter. I don't believe that his superiors approve of his 'exploration'."

"Neither do I. Is that all?"

"He wants his son back."

"Son? One of the men that we captured days ago?"

"Three years ago. It's Katania. She was his son: Henry Collins. The lord's first bone son."

Landa looked to be amused. "I can't wait to tell Teagan," she said. "She had such high hopes for Katania. I don't remember the young man all too well. A little too proud and entitled, I want to say. Teagan rather enjoyed breaking him and believed that this would translate into ability and leadership qualities. That didn't happen. Anyway, I heard that Katania was injured. Where is she?"

Braith pointed to the wheezing, bandaged figure in the corner.

Landa's humor disappeared. "What did they do?"

Braith said, "From what Kairi says, they beat her savagely. The wounds on the outside were dressed, but on the inside..." Braith sighed. "I've seen people come back from such things, but Kiari says that it was that monstrously large man that we saw. He smashed her with his gauntlet. I'll...I'll be surprised if she survives."

Landa seemed to weigh things in her mind. "She should be dead already is what you're really saying? A hard truth."

I asked, "Would you give her to them if she wasn't hurt?"

Landa eyed me. "I wasn't lying when I told our people that I live my life as a free woman and hope that others do the same. That wasn't a lie. I believe in what I said. To give them Katania would be a hard thing. Everyone would be grateful that they lived through this event, and yet so many people would hate me with everything that they had. These humans are becoming very guarded now. People don't win wars defensively, but they can certainly win a battle. It is true that we can replenish when we capture men, but sometimes the hearts and minds of converts are questionable. Like your friend Raina."

"What happened to Raina?"

"Nothing yet, but I'm afraid that she's becoming a problem."

Braith told me. "It's her mind. She's not sure who she is anymore or even what is real. It's a rare thing, but when it happens it's not good."

"There is still some time to think on it," said Landa. "As long as she doesn't hurt anyone."

"Let me help her. Please."

"And what will you do?"

"I don't know, but I can't give up on her."

Landa smiled. "This is how I know that I made the right choice in bringing you to us. Please maintain this dedication to our people." She looked to Braith. "Do what you can for poor Katania. She may not have been impressive, but she is one of ours and loyal. I don't sell our people."

Landa turned as if to leave, but then stopped. She said, "Perhaps we need some happiness amidst all of this darkness. Do you two want to be married? Dria is a tried-and-true priestess, albeit one of the more violent ones. I'm sure that she would appreciate the opportunity to perform."

"You don't want to do it yourself?"

Landa laughed. "I considered it, but do remember that you agreed to my exception in your relationship. Although we all know that you and Braith won't be monogamous considering your profession. That's fine though. No one will judge you for that."

I didn't believe that entirely, but I didn't want to say that. Getting married to Braith certainly had its appeal. It was strange to have returned home and to be trying to catch up with the life that I had been living before. It was an odd thing that being captured by the humans had become more disruptive than being captured by the elves, but the settlement had become my home by then.

Braith took my hand in front of Landa. She said, "You honor us, chieftain. It will not be forgotten."

Landa offered a mild bow. "I hope not," she said. "Let it be known that I am generous."

I thanked her as Braith did. Landa had become so crucial to my life. I remembered how she told me of the day that I'd been captured. She could've killed me—should've killed me, but didn't. It was a quick decision that had changed my life so much. I knew that I had to be grateful. Despite all of the crazy things that had befallen me, I was still alive and that was worth it.

Landa left. The rest of my day was spent helping Braith with the other injured. I tended Katania as best as I could. The entire time praying that somehow, she would make the miraculous recovery that she needed. Was that a foolish hope? Probably. However, at a certain point that was all some people in this world had. If you were not able to hold out some form of hope then what were you supposed to do?

Weddings among the elves could vary wildly. Their traditions were an amalgamation of different practices. There were traditional mundane elf practices to be sure as well as a wide assortment of traditions that the human converts brought from their previous lives, and finally there were beliefs that the so-called "wild elves" had developed on their own. Perhaps it would've been different in times of peace, but fate hadn't given that option to Braith and I. Ours was marriage in a time of strife, and as such it was bound to be different. For all of the uncertainty though: it was worth to see my darling Braith nervous about our impending nuptials.

"I want this to be perfect," she kept saying. I told her that I wasn't picky. Being with her was enough. That wasn't going to calm her down. Braith was always a conundrum. There was a cruel streak in her that few people got passed. Then there was Braith, the consummate professional and healer. Finally, Braith the woman, with her freckles, cute face, and need to be loved. She could be as girly as they came. As such, I loved watching her dither over such things. Then I had to become involved and it became a chore.

It was a full day after I returned to the settlement that Braith and I were married. The mood around the community was guarded as to be expected. The humans didn't attack though. I had to wonder at the situation that Lord Collins was in. He couldn't stay out in the field away from the eastern war for much longer. He was bleeding men and resources. Something had to change for him or it wouldn't just be the elves that would be out to get him. I felt bad for the man. Were my own parents just as concerned as he was? Sometimes I wondered. What would I tell my parents? I was alive. That would seem to be enough. One would think.

I thought about Katania as she struggled to breath back in the bathhouse. Please get better, I thought. But to what end? Landa said that she wouldn't give Katania back, but would I?

I didn't know.

I was waiting for Braith. Settling on our wedding clothes. She was intent on some manner of embroidery that she would drape over me during the ceremony. Braith told me that this was something from her time as a human and it was hard for her to deny the want to do this.

Braith said, "In my old life my mother was obsessed with me being married. I can't help it. I have to honor her wishes in some way."

I didn't want to disappoint my beautiful bride-to-be so I went along with the madness. Strangely enough: many of the other elves were actually indulgent of the whole thing. In their minds they were fighting for their very existence, and I understood that. I was one of them. The others were being very kind to me. What with my recent ordeal and escape that followed, as well as the fact that I was getting married. Yet, beneath the surface I could sense something else: unease and suspicion. Katania hadn't been lying to me after all.

There was nothing that I could do though. I couldn't imagine them understanding what I'd been through. Neither my talks with Lord Collins or my miraculous escape.

Lloyd.

Would they understand? Surely, they'd seen the big man. How could anyone have missed him?

And Katania...

If I told them what I knew they'd likely think that the whole thing was a ploy. That I was besmirching an unlucky, but otherwise innocent woman. And she was innocent, I thought. She hadn't chosen to be captured or converted any more than I had. And she'd sacrificed herself trying to save me.

"I'm not worthy," I said to myself as they dressed me.

The seamstresses laughed and made bawdy jokes. They thought that I was just playing the part of the bashful bride. They assured me that Braith was going to humble me in ways that would me my mother blush or cry. I nodded. Not wanting to ruin the moment.

The onset of the evening brough forth our special moment. While the community was allowing this to happen, the elves were no ness on-guard. Festivities would be kept to minimum. No one would be drinking, which was made easier by the fact that the alcohol had long since run out.

"We'll be back to brewing as soon as we can," Braith assured everyone. In private, she told me that she longed to build a distillation device like the college of physicians had. "You're just the person to help me do such a thing," she said.

I told her that I would. I did have some experience with distillation. My parents had naturally seen the value.

"For medicinal purposes," said Braith.

Sure, I thought.

As for the ceremony...Well, what do I say? I was told that normally, because weddings were so rare, they could be rather lavish affairs. Our situation precluded that, so there were some compromises. The ceremony took place in the assembly area in the settlement center. It had changed so much during the course of the conflict. Many of the visiting elves were living there. In addition to their living spaces, there were stations to create and store weapons and various other tools. These were moved to the side to make way for the festivities. I asked if we were not going to be married before the great tree, but I was told that such was reserved for more solemn occasions where this was supposed to be a happy one.

I was dressed in a simple yet beautifully made gown of silk with several decorative patterns stitched into it. I didn't know the meaning of these at the time. Typically, such markings speak of the bride's commitment to her partner and the blessings that she seeks from the goddess.

An aisle had been fashioned from the simple benches, and as many of the elves that could be spared from guard duty were in attendance. At the end of the aisle waited Dria. The tall southern elf was dressed mostly as she always was, but she wore a resplendent white silk Stoll that draped over her strong shoulders. The contrast between the white of the silk and her dark skin was remarkable. I swear that she looked to be happier about the marriage taking place than anyone else in attendance. Next to her stood Braith. My wife-to-be refused to wear a gown.

"That's for you," she'd told me before the ceremony.

Instead, Braith wore a finer tunic than I'd ever seen her wear and a decorative version of the dual vests that were so popular amongst the elves. Before the ceremony, Braith said, "This is the fanciest that you will ever see me dress. Don't expect more of it."

They were waiting for me down there. Back when I'd been 'William' I hadn't thought much of marriage. I'd been interested in sex aplenty, but that's not the same thing as marriage. My parents had many children and I was right in the middle. Arranged marriages were possible if good opportunities arose. Merchants tended to marry other merchants. Other classes didn't trust us, neither did merchants trust merchants for that matter, but eventually there had to be a deal. I wondered what sort of deal I was in for.

"You're not too nervous, are you?" said Landa, coming up beside me "If you start crying, I'm not sure what I'll do."

The elf chieftain wore a form-fitting leather vest that led into a white and red kilt. The whole thing topped off by her headdress with its many-colored feathers.

"What are you wearing?" I asked.

She smiled. "You don't recognize the colors on the kilt? Your king in Peltest was married in a similar garment I assure you. My exception means that I am excluded from the normal bonds of your marriage. So, I don't require Braith's permission to sleep with you. Don't worry though. I won't take advantage of you too much."

"I respect and trust you," I said.

She stared at me for a moment. Taken aback by my sincerity, Landa smiled.

She said, "You are something special. No matter what transpires here, we are a better people for having you here with us."

I wasn't sure how to respond to that. I took a deep breath—preparing myself for the rest. Landa understood my meaning. She said, "Be brave, Kiari. Our people will remember this day. This will be good for you." She took my arm in hers. "Today, we are who we are."

As we walked down the aisle, some of the she-elves began singing. It was a beautiful melody. So quiet and first and then punctuated by alternating timbres. I didn't know the words at the time. I was afraid of their meaning. So much of my life back then was centered on fear. Even this, which should have been such a happy moment. I saw Ericka and Danica among the assembled. The two new elf girls wore outfits which bore a strong resemblance to the colors presented in my gown. This was to note that they were effectively the daughters of Braith and myself.

Landa whispered in my ear. "Just think: one day you might be walking Ericka down an aisle like this."

Her hot breath tickled my neck and her words perhaps tickled something deeper within me. I felt a real pride about Ericka. I'd converted her and she would always be mine. Understanding the particulars was a little more difficult back then, but eventually things would be revealed.

Finally, we arrived where Dria and Braith awaited us. Landa released my arm and stood off to the side. I waited, unsure as to what was next.

Dria was one big smile. She said, "My beloved sisters, we stand here united in defiance of those who would destroy us. We have struck back and shown them our might, and yet we have suffered casualties. In the south we face this often. The warriors of the empires are fierce, yet for some of us such loss is still a rare thing. This loss is why we must do our very best to appreciate the little moments of joy that this world offers us. Let us be honest: a wedding among our kind in the modern day is a rare and beautiful thing. I haven't presided over such a ceremony for years, and I am so humbled by this glorious opportunity.

"Our goddess: Angelanhala, she loves us so much as to let us live our lives as free women. As a priestess, I am not to most 'priestly', if that is a thing." She laughed along with several of the elves in the audience. Then she continued: "Long ago, I dedicated my life to defending our people, and that is what I have done. This opportunity means so much to me. I am eternally grateful.

"Now, our wonderful couple stands before us. Braith, the healer and mistress of the bathhouse. She is famous among our people for her knowledge and...tenacity. She had studied our nature for decades and his respected for this dedication."

Dria pointed to me. "Kiari," she said. "She's new girl, but her potential is remarkable. She's very famous in this community for reasons that should be apparent from looking at her."

There were many laughs from among the assembled and even a few cat calls. Dria continued, "But there is more. She resisted the change in a remarkable way and she remembers her whole old life." She pointed to Landa. "The esteemed Landa has told me that she believes the future lies with her and I believe it. Beyond all of this though: these are our sisters. They wish to be married and by the goddess we will do this for them."

There were cheers from all around. It was something that I hadn't experienced before. I was important. I'd never been important before. I'd just been myself.

Dria silenced the assembly with a quick gesture. "I must ask now for the leaders of this community. "Selah Teagan," Dria called out.

The tall blonde stepped forward. She still used a stick to helped her walk, but looked stronger than ever. She wore her full headdress of flowers and feathers.

Dria regarded her with respect. She said, "Do you consent to this marriage?"

The proud blonde inclined her head slightly. She said, "I do. I was hesitant before, but there is no denying that Kiari has become a part of this community. I wish her and Braith the best in their joined lives."