Carol's Christmas

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"The board will hold an emergency meeting tomorrow at noon to discuss this issue. In the meantime, Jake, you can consider yourself under suspension until we reach a decision. Good day," he added before walking out. Jake and Carol looked at each other, shocked.

The scene changed again, and Carol stood in front of the door to the new house she and Jake bought after he was forced to sell the large home originally built by his father, the founder of Callahan and Son. The five years since that last day at Callahan and Son had been tumultuous ones.

The board fired Jake, quickly replacing him with a new CEO. Unable to find a job he was willing to accept, Jake had started drinking and was forced to sell the large house. Carol was also unable to find decent work and found herself taking any job she could get just to keep the two of them afloat.

Even with Philip's glowing recommendation, she quickly learned that a lot of companies weren't too willing to give a job to someone with her reputation. To cut down on her expenses, she sold her expensive car and replaced it with a two-year-old Corolla.

Given the amount of alimony and child support she was ordered to pay, her nest egg quickly diminished to almost nothing and her meager salary couldn't even begin to cover what she owed. She tried reasoning with Ray, but he was adamant that she pay what the court ordered. If she didn't pay, or file to get the order amended, he would file charges against her, he said.

The court reluctantly reduced her payments, but she still found it difficult to make ends meet. Now that five years had passed, she no longer had to pay maintenance, but the child support still put quite a dent in her budget.

As for Timmy, she continually tried reaching out to him, but he refused her calls and her cards and letter all came back unopened. The stamp on the envelopes burned a searing hole in her chest: "Return to sender. Refused by addressee."

All this because she wanted some strange cock, she thought to herself before she unlocked the door of their small, older home. As soon as she walked into the small ranch home, she could hear it -- the sound of sex from their master bedroom.

She walked into the room and saw Jake balls-deep in a younger woman. They stopped only long enough to look at her, then returned to what they were doing. The smell of pot and sex filled the room, making her sick to her stomach. After she retched in the toilet, she came back into the room and lit into both of them.

"Get out of my house, you fucking whore," she screamed at the woman, who didn't look to be more than 19 years old. The young woman, seeing the look of murder on Carol's face, jumped out of the bed, threw her clothes on and ran out of the house. She could see that Jake was stoned and began pummeling him with her fists.

"You fucking bastard! I destroyed my family and my marriage to Ray to be with you, and THIS is how you repay me? Get out, you slimy piece of shit! Get the fuck outta my house and don't ever come back," she screamed. He put his hands up and tried to calm her down, but she wasn't hearing it.

"Shut up! Just SHUT THE FUCK UP! You destroyed my life, you cocksucking asshole. You won't even lift a finger to do shit around here or get a fucking job, but you have time to go pick up some floozy off the street to fuck her in MY bed! Don't say a fucking word! Just GET! OUT!"

By now, she had gone into their closet and had tossed his clothes onto the floor. Enraged, she went into the bathroom and threw his toiletries into the bedroom as he nervously tried to pack them all up.

"Don't even bother packing your shit. JUST LEAVE," she screamed. After a couple hours, he left, his things crammed in the back of his car. She sat down on the couch and cried her eyes out, wishing she had never met Jake.

The scene changed yet again and this time, Carol saw herself walking into a church. She saw a notice in the paper that Raymond Beck was getting married to a Katherine Hollingsworth. They looked so good in the photo the paper published.

She took a seat in the back aisle and watched the couple exchange vows. She was shocked when she saw Timmy, who was serving as Ray's best man. It had been two years since she caught Jake in their marriage bed with that young girl and seven years since her last day at Callahan and Son. At 16, Timmy was a very good-looking young man who was the spitting image of his father. Tears fell down her cheeks as she looked at the two men.

After the preacher instructed Ray to kiss his bride, he had them face the audience.

"I'm proud to introduce for the first time, Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Beck," the preacher said. Everyone clapped and Timmy turned to Katherine. What he said to her tore Carol's heart out.

"Welcome to the family, Mom," he said, giving her a big hug, which she returned. No one paid any attention to the 42-year-old woman who ran out of the church, sobbing. She made her way back to her tiny one-bedroom apartment and sobbed as she contemplated ending her life.

Carol stepped back from the portal, shocked and shaken. She nearly fell down, but Adrestia took hold of her and kept her on her feet.

"How much more of this must I endure?" she asked.

"There's only one more scenario, then we're done," Adrestia said. "It's a bit disturbing, so I'll join you."

"More disturbing than what I've already seen?" Carol asked.

"I'm afraid so," Adrestia said. They walked to the next alcove and Adrestia took Carol's hand before they walked in. "Just so you know, the accuracy rate decreases the farther into the future we go. Still, it's at least 85 percent accurate, assuming no other changes."

"How far ahead are we going?" Carol asked.

"This scenario is dated twenty years into the future," Adrestia said.

"You can predict things that far in advance?" Carol asked.

"As I said, assuming nothing changes in the status quo, yes. But only with an 85 percent accuracy rate," Adrestia told her. "Come now, let's take a look." Carol braced herself as they stepped into the alcove.

The first thing she noticed was the cold air. A digital clock on a nearby building read 2:15 am, December 25. Christmas Day. She could tell they were downtown and the only other person on the street was a homeless woman pushing a cart with a few belongings.

"You brought me here to see a homeless woman downtown?" Carol asked.

'You know, Carol, looking at this scenario, I can't help but be reminded of something Charles Dickens once wrote: 'Bleak, dark, and piercing cold, it was a night for the well-housed and fed to draw round the bright fire, and thank God they were at home; and for the homeless starving wretch to lay him down and die. Many hunger-worn outcasts close their eyes in our bare streets at such times, who, let their crimes have been what they may, can hardly open them in a more bitter world.'

"What was it you once thought when you saw a homeless person? Oh yeah, why couldn't he get a job like your mother did," Adrestia said, a slight edge to her voice. "Looking at that woman, seeing what you've seen this night, do you still feel that way?"

Carol looked at the old woman and saw her pleading with someone who wasn't there. She sat down on the cold concrete, her hand out.

"I... I don't know. What's wrong with her?" Carol asked.

"She's dying," Adrestia said.

"What's she dying from?" Carol asked.

"From several things. An undiagnosed cancer and malnutrition for starters. She also suffers from mental issues. And on top of that, she's lonely and her heart's broken," Adrestia said.

"Where's her family? Can't they do something?"

"She has no family left," Adrestia said. "She burned that bridge down 20 years ago." Carol looked at her, shocked.

"Can't you do something?" Carol asked.

"I am doing something," Adrestia told her. "I'm trying to prevent it from happening in the first place." The woman moaned and fell on her side before rolling over on her back.

"We've got to do something," Carol said, walking up to the woman. Adrestia joined her. When Carol got to the woman, she looked and saw her face. It was wrinkled and dirty and her hair was gray and disheveled, but Carol recognized her. It was her. But she was no longer breathing and her lifeless eyes were wide open.

In the old woman's hand was a locket on a chain. The locket was open and Carol looked at the faded picture. It was an old picture of her, Ray and Timmy in happier days. Ray had given her that locket when Timmy was just five years old. She fell to her knees and began shaking.

"No. Please, Dr. A. Tell me this isn't real. I'm begging you. Tell me this won't happen. Don't let this happen to me. Please," she begged as hot tears streamed down her face. Adrestia looked at her but said nothing.

"Please! Make it stop! No more! I can't take it anymore," Carol cried as her body shook with her sobs. Adrestia pulled her up and they stepped back out of the alcove. Carol fell to her knees, sobbing uncontrollably.

"Is this what's going to happen to me?" she asked.

"That's up to you, Carol. It's your choice. It's your life. Make it a good one. Make it count." Adrestia poured a cup of tea at the desk near the alcove and handed it to Carol. "Here. Drink this. It'll help calm you down." Carol sipped the hot liquid and felt better.

"Is all that stuff really going to happen to me?" Carol asked.

"If things continue as they are now, I'd have to say yes," Adrestia said. "Only you can change the course of your life."

"Then that's what I'll do," Carol said. "I promise you, Dr. A, I'll be the best wife and mother a man could ever want." Adrestia smiled.

"I certainly hope so, for you and your family's sake," she said. "Come on, it's time you got back." Adrestia helped her to her feet and the next thing Carol knew, she was back in her hotel room. Exhausted, she crawled back into the bed, the images of everything she had seen still swirling in her head. Yes, she said to herself, there would be some major changes in her life. Soon, she was fast asleep.

She woke up and saw it was just a few minutes before 8:00 am. Sunlight poured into the room and she got up, wiping the sleep from her eyes. After using the bathroom, she made a cup of coffee, using the courtesy coffee pot the hotel set up in the room. She thought about her next move, and remembered something she had seen in a local paper a few days ago.

She pulled out her phone and did a quick Internet search. She found what she had seen in the paper and saw it was still active, so she pulled up her email app and sent a quick message to the address listed in the ad. Having done that, she went into the bathroom, took a shower and dressed in the casual clothes she brought the night before.

Her phone buzzed right as she finished brushing her hair, letting her know she got an email. She looked and saw it was a response to the email she sent earlier. She smiled as she read the message. She sent her response and looked up as she closed out the app.

"Thank you," she said to no one in particular. She started packing her things from the previous night and heard a knock at the door. Looking through the peephole, she saw Jake. She took a deep breath, counted to ten, and opened the door.

"Good morning," Jake said with a smile. "Mind if I come in?"

"Good morning, Jake," she said. "Of course, come on in. I was just packing up from last night." He stepped into the room and closed the door.

"You look much better this morning," he said. "You gave us all quite a scare last night."

"I feel much better, thank you," she said.

"You wanna go down and get some breakfast?" he asked.

"Actually, I'm just packing up to get home," she said. "I have a lot to get done today before Ray gets back."

"Oh," Jake said, somewhat disappointed. He spoke again after a few awkward moments. "Um, Carol, can I talk to you for a minute? I have something I need to get off my chest." She stopped packing to look at him.

"Of course," she said. "What's on your mind?"

"Well, Carol, the truth is, I'm really feeling an attraction to you," he said. "I'd like to see if maybe we can get together and possibly explore our feelings for each other."

"Have a seat, Jake," she said after a few moments of silence. "Please. We need to talk." He sat down in the chair next to the desk in the room, wondering what she was going to say. He didn't like the tone of her voice. She wasn't angry, but she wasn't overly friendly, either. She sat down on the bed, facing him.

"I have to admit that I felt an attraction to you as well," she began. "In fact, I came... too close... to acting on that attraction last night. I came to realize last night that it would have been the biggest mistake of my life."

"But," Jake began before she held up her hand to cut him off.

"Please hear me out, Jake," she said. He closed his mouth and waited for her to continue. "Yes, we've worked together for a long time. And yes, I've thought of you as a friend and a mentor. But I'm married to a man I love with all my heart. A man I promised to love, honor, cherish and forsake all others for until death do us part. And I fully intend to honor that promise. I also have a son who would be destroyed if our marriage broke apart. I can't do that to him. I won't do that to him."

"So, I guess the better man won after all, eh?" he asked.

"There was never any competition, Jake," she said. "And yes, he won my heart over 12 years ago. Besides, it didn't take you long to find someone to fill your bed, did it? How long have you and Brenda Spencer been an item?" He looked at her, shocked.

"How did you know about her?" he asked.

"I'd tell you, but you'd never believe me," she said with a smile.

"Honestly, last night was the first time," he said. "We both got a bit drunk after you went to bed and, well, things just progressed from there."

"I hope things work out for the two of you," Carol said. "Just be careful. The company has rules about things like office romances, you know."

"Yeah, tell me about it," he said with a chuckle.

"And while you're here, I suppose it's only fair I give you a heads-up," she said. "I'll be turning in my official resignation on January 3rd."

"What? You're leaving the company? After all this time?"

"I've decided it's time I get my priorities straight," she said. "And part of that means leaving Callahan and Son. I've enjoyed working with you and Philip and all the others, but it's time for me to make a change."

"You realize you're one of the highest-paid CFOs in the area? You'll be turning your back on a very lucrative career," he said.

"I've come to realize there are things a lot more important than money or power," she said.

"What's gotten into you?" he asked. She smiled as she considered her response.

"Again, I'd tell you, but you'd never believe me," she said.

"Alright, if that's the way it has to be," he said. "Good luck. I hope everything works out for you. Can we at least part as friends?"

"I think so," she said. "But nothing more, you understand?"

"I understand," he said. "I don't like it, but I understand. A hug for old times sake?"

"How about a warm handshake instead?" she asked in response, holding out her hand. He looked at her hand and nodded his head.

"A warm handshake it is," he said, standing up. They shook hands and Jake started for the door.

"Oh, Jake? One last thing," Carol said, causing him to stop and turn back to her.

"What?" he asked.

"Merry Christmas," she said. He looked at her, shocked.

"Merry Christmas to you as well... friend," he said with a smile. She watched him leave the room and exhaled. She felt as though a giant weight had been lifted off her shoulders. After a few moments, she turned back to gathering her things, then headed downstairs to check out.

She got to her car and put her things in the trunk. She looked toward the street and saw a young couple with a baby next to a car in the parking lot with the hood up. The woman cried as she held the baby and the man with her held her in his arms.

She froze for a moment, considering what she should do. Ordinarily, she would've just ignored them and continued on her way without a second thought. Then she remembered what she had witnessed that morning and made her decision. Rubber, meet road, she thought as she gathered her purse and walked to the couple.

"Excuse me, is everything alright?" she asked. The two of them looked at her and she saw the tears and the expression of sadness in their faces.

"No, ma'am, it's not alright," the man said.

"What happened?" Carol asked.

"Our car just broke down," the man said. "We were on our way to Wichita Falls from San Antonio. My father is dying and we wanted to get there before Christmas to see him before he passes away. I just spent the last bit of money we had to get gas and the belt broke before we could make it to the freeway. I'm supposed to start working in his shop to help the family out but we can't get there now." Carol thought about the situation and pulled out her phone.

"Hang on, let's see what we can do," she told them. She went through her contacts and found what she was looking for. She hit the speed dial and waited for an answer.

"Mike's Towing and Auto Repair. This is Mike speaking," a man said at the other end.

"Mike, this is Carol Beck," she said.

"Good morning, Mrs. Beck. What can we do for you today?" he asked.

"Listen, Mike, I'm with a couple on their way to Wichita Falls, and their car is broken down. The man says the belt is broken. Can you get someone here to fix it, please?" she asked.

"What kind of car is it?" he asked.

"Hold on," she said. She looked at the man in front of her. "What kind of car is it?"

"It's a 1986 Celebrity, 2.8 liter V-6," the man said. Carol repeated the information to Mike.

"Hold on," Mike said. "Yeah, I got a serpentine belt for that here. Where is the car at?" She told him where the car was located. "Okay," Mike said. "I can have someone there in say, about 45 minutes to an hour. Will that be okay?"

"That'll be perfect, Mike. Thanks. And put this on my account, okay?"

"Are you sure, Mrs. Beck? Our guys also do a quick check and top off fluids as well. It may need some coolant also," Mike said.

"Whatever it takes to get them to Wichita Falls safely, Mike," she said. She and Ray had used Mike as their mechanic for years. He did excellent work and she trusted him.

"Yes, ma'am, we'll take care of them for you," he said enthusiastically. She ended the call and looked at the family. They looked as though they hadn't eaten a decent meal in some time.

"The mechanic will be here in about an hour," she said. "Don't worry about a thing, I've already got it covered. It's getting a bit chilly out here. Why don't we go inside and I'll get you some breakfast while you wait, okay?"

"Are you sure?" the man said. "We can wait out here."

"Nonsense," she said. "Come on, it's warm inside." She turned to the hotel and they followed her inside. When they got in, she led them to a table close to the window. A waiter came up as they sat down.

"Are you folks guests here?" the waiter asked. "The dining room is reserved for guests only."

"I was a guest here last night," Carol said. "The Callahan and Son party. You're not going to deny a family breakfast on Christmas Eve, are you?" The waiter looked embarrassed for a moment.

"I... suppose not," he said. "We have a breakfast special on right now -- Denver omelet, hash browns, toast, bacon, juice and coffee. Will that be okay?"

"Yes," Carol said. "Two of them, and some oatmeal or cereal for the baby, please." She pulled out her credit card and handed it to the waiter. "On me," she said. After the waiter left, she pulled out two $50 bills and handed them to the man. "This should get you to Wichita Falls with no problems."