Champions

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The meal quickly became a journey of exploration for all of them. Both Sapphire and Laurena followed Eros' lead, and recommended a few of their favorite dishes for David to try. In return, David recommended they try a few of his favorites from his own world. The question of where they came from was one of the few that Eros was willing to answer.

"I pulled them from your mind," the God of Love explained calmly. "You have been in my realm for over a month, and away from your homeland and its comforts for much longer than that. I felt that these few items would be a welcome succor."

"They are, thank you," David replied.

"You are very welcome."

After that they all tried small amounts of the many different dishes. Laurena admitted that the doughnuts were now her favorite food, Sapphire tried a bite of waffle covered in strawberries and whipped cream, then finished finish the rest of the dish with a happy smile, and Eros admitted that from now on he would have to teach his entire clergy to make Pop-Tarts®, as they had become his favorite food and he wanted to share them with his faithful.

Once everyone was finished eating Eros banished the table and remaining food, and conjured small end tables with drinks beside each of them. David raised an eyebrow in a questioning look, and Eros just smiled, responding with "I assure you, you will enjoy it."

Taking a hesitant sip, he recognized the taste of his favorite energy drink, and quickly took another drink. He noticed both Laurena and Sapphire doing the same with their cups, so he figured they had also gotten some personal favorite beverages as well. Turning to Eros he nodded his appreciation, which the god returned with a smiled. The smile slowly turned to a frown, and Eros said with some reluctance, "It is unfortunately time for you to ask your questions David."

Now that it was finally time to ask his many questions, David could not think where to begin. After nearly two minutes of deliberation, he finally decided.

"Why me?"

"I do not know David," Eros replied.

That was the last thing the soldier expected to hear, and some of the anger and frustration he had battled since arriving in this strange land spilled out.

"What the fuck does that mean? You are a god aren't you?" he said heatedly.

Sighing, Eros worked to answer David's first - and toughest - question. "I do not know why you were chosen, or why you were brought here. My father - The Creator - chose you for this, and sent you to me in my time of need.

"The Creator brought the universe into being, and in the process made many worlds and many life-forms. Eventually he created Earth, your home, and my former home. While he has made millions of worlds, with a nearly infinite number of life-forms, it was humans that he had the most hope for at the time. He chose to create us, myself and my fellow gods and goddess, to watch over and guide your race in order for it to reach its full potential. We were given great power, but also limits to that power so that we would always remember our responsibility.

"Unfortunately, many of my brothers and sisters grew resentful of those limits, and began to punish and torment your kind. They began to view humans as playthings, an amusement rather than a responsibility. They set humans against one another to entertain themselves, and eventually began to fight amongst themselves out of boredom and spite. In their foolishness they nearly destroyed our father's favorite world, your world.

"Because of this he grew angry, separating us and casting us from Earth to other worlds of his creation, only allowing the most devote of our faithful to accompany us in our banishment. We were commanded to care for our new realms as we had failed to care for our last, and to never again forget the task he charged us with when we were created. I have tried to do exactly that since, and I had believed I was successful. Unfortunately, my siblings did not all share my feelings, and some continued to pursue old grudges and petty slights. They chose to continue fighting amongst one another, only they now risked destroying multiple worlds. With an equal measure of fear and wisdom, Ares, God of War, composed limits for how we could settle disputes that would prevent the destruction of any of The Creator's realms. Certain that destroying one of his worlds would surely anger our father even more than we already had, all the gods and goddesses agreed to these limits.

"Thus Champions were born, and have existed for nearly two millennia. They are vested with enough of our power to do battle for control of worlds, but not enough to destroy them. I have been fortunate enough that my world has never faced a full challenge before now, but it seems that that time has finally come.

"Enyo, Minor Goddess of War finally chose to repay an old slight, and began converting my faithful into her own. She had such disdain for my people, and my Champion, that she sent an invasion force of her converts to destroy Erosius before she had enough power in my realm to bring in her own Champion. This land is the only one in my dominion to possess dragons, and as such it is the most magically powerful on my world. She sought to surprise and overrun her greatest source of potential resistance before I was aware of her interference. It was a mistake, and in doing so she lost her army; but I also lost my Champion.

"Sadly, in my desire to nurture and protect my realm, I failed to guide it. Overcoming adversity and challenging oneself is an important part of growth and advancement for any people, and in that respect I have failed. The people of this realm were not prepared, and she nearly succeeded. Though her first attack failed, and delayed her encroachment into my home, I could find no one left in my world capable of taking up the mantel of my new Champion. Since then I have done what I could to help, separating myself from their day-to-day lives these past decades, allowing hardship and adversity to occur in the hopes that the strength I needed would appear. But I knew it would not be enough the day my last Champion fell. I had failed in my mission once again, and in my fear and shame I begged my father for his forgiveness. Instead, he sent me you.

"I do not know why he chose you, or even if your presence here will be enough to turn the tide in the coming battle for my realm. I do know he must have a good reason for sending you here, though I cannot fathom what it is."

It was a lot of information for David to absorb, and he sat in quiet thought for some time before he was able to ask his next question.

"So if you don't know why The Creator chose me and sent here, why are you so certain that I should be your Champion?" he asked Eros.

"You misunderstand David. You are not my Champion," the god replied, "you are his."

*** Chapter 40: The Next Champion of Eros***

130914APR13 DW

The Field of Woe, Erosius

"Huh?" David replied. What he wanted to say was 'what the fuck?'

"You are not my next Champion David, you are my father's first," Eros explained calmly.

"What? Why would The Creator make me his first Champion? Why would he even need a Champion?"

"I am not entirely sure, but I would assume it is because he feels that once again his children have lost track of the message, and he chose you to remind them," Eros suggested.

David was speechless. He was a Champion of The Creator now? He was supposed to teach GODS object lessons? How in the hell did that work? He had no idea what to do with that information. It was too big, too powerful a revelation. He decided to deal with it later.

"Are you able to send me home?" David asked.

"Would you even want to go now?" Eros responded, looking meaningfully in Sapphire's direction.

David followed his gaze, and saw the concern there. She did not want him to go, and he did not want to leave her. But he had responsibilities back in his world; people who had probably died looking for him, and would keep looking for him. As much as he wanted to stay with his love, he had to try.

Turing back to Eros, David explained himself. "I don't want to leave Sapphire, but there are people who will risk everything looking for me. Some of them have most likely already died searching for me in Afghanistan. I can't do anything about that, but if I don't at least try to tell them that I am safe, and that they can stop looking, then I am responsible for every death that happens because of it. I can't live with that." He finished, turning back to his love.

Sapphire understood. She did not want to lose him, but she knew that he could not ignore what would happen in his world if he did not return. She had never discussed the matter with him, fearing his answer. She feared he would go back, and that he would not, or could not, take her with him. Knowing now where his heart would lead him, she marshaled her emotions. Either he would take her with him, or she would find a way to follow. It was that simple.

"I am sorry David," Eros apologized. "I did not bring you here, and I do not have the power to send you back." The god explained with sorrow.

"Then who does?" David asked, anger warring with relief in his mind. He was pissed off that someone was using him as a puppet, pulling his strings and jerking him around. But, if he was stuck here that was it. He had tried. He could spend the rest of his days living a simple life with his love. The future he had dreamt of during the lonely nights in Afghanistan could become a reality.

"The only being I know with that kind of power is my father, or possibly his heralds," the God of Love explained, "and before you ask I have no way of ensuring they return you. I can ask, but that does not guarantee anything. Their minds and their actions have always been their own. If they plan to return you, they will do so on their own time-table, and at their own whims."

It was not the answer that David wanted, but it was the answer he expected. Shaking his head in resignation, he looked to his love and said with a smile, "Well beautiful, it looks like you're stuck with me for a while."

Sighing as though she was the most put-upon person in the world, Sapphire replied, "If I must. I'll tell all my other lovers not to expect my visits as often, now that I am forced to drag you along with me. They aren't terribly patient, but I'm sure they will understand...eventually," she finished with a giggle.

"You are truly benevolent...a queen amongst the rabble. I promise to do anything and everything in my power to make it up to you, your 'Heiny'-ness," David replied with equally solemn jocularity.

Sapphire snorted at his comment.

"So what do we do now my god?" Laurena inquired, bringing everyone back to the subject at hand.

"Now I ask that you assist me in laying to rest Ophelia, my last Champion. She has waited many winters for your arrival, and her final rest is long overdue," Eros explained. "I will prepare her for travel, and I ask that you take her to her final resting place. It is my hope that David will choose to join you in this, but I cannot command him to do so, nor would I even if I could."

Turning to look at David, Laurena wondered what he would do. She had worked hard to repair the damage she had wrought after they had first met, but she was doubtful he would want to remain with her. He would certainly choose to accompany Sapphire to Calavius, to continue her search for Galen.

David wanted to tell Eros to go fuck himself. He was done with all this shit. He wasn't some character in a damn RPG hopping from one 'go fetch' mission to the next. He wanted some long fucking overdue R&R. Preferably on a beach, with a bikini clad Sapphire at his side. Or naked...she would look awesome naked. Looking to his love he noticed the expression on her face.

Sapphire had immediately begun studying David after the god had voiced his request. After so much time spent with him these past weeks, observing his moods and expressions, she could tell he was about to refuse. She was initially glad. She wanted to find Galen in Calavius, and if David went with Laurena she would have to choose between her quest and her love. But as she glanced at the acolyte she could see that her friend was afraid. She had trained hard, and performed better than they had expected she would in her first fight. But there was no way she would have survived that night without them. Sapphire could not let her friend do this alone.

Turning back to look at David, he looked at her a heartbeat later. He read her resolve and commitment to her friend in her expression, and her words only served to confirm that.

"We're going with Laurena, my love. She may need us, and I cannot abandon her to face this alone," she explained.

David nodded his acquiescence. He would not allow some capricious deity to dictate his life; but Sapphire owned his ass, they both knew it, and he was surprisingly okay with that.

"Thank you," Laurena said, hopeful once more. "Thank you both."

Eros rose from his seat, and beckoned them to follow. Laurena practically leapt from her seat, and walked after the God of Love. Shrugging at each other, David and Sapphire followed more sedately. Walking a short distance towards the rising sun, they noted a sarcophagus in the field ahead. None of them had seen it previously, so they wondered where it had come from. As the three mortals followed the God of Love to where Ophelia, fallen Champion of Eros, fell they noted the top of the sarcophagus had an intricately detailed sculpture of a woman on it. She was exceptionally beautiful, and the expression on her carven face bore a gentle half-smile. All three could feel a sense of peace and contentment emanating from the tomb.

Standing close to the stone monument to his fallen faithful, Eros began to sing.

"My Champion, my child,

you served with faith and grace and love,

go peacefully now to final rest

in my palace up above.

Look down upon my servants,

and watch them with gentle love and care.

For one day they shall join you

and rejoice that you are there.

Please wait to greet the faithful,

each a beloved and gentle soul.

Your radiance and compassion

will make them happy, make them whole.

My Champion, my child,

you served with faith and grace and love,

go peacefully now to final rest

in my palace up above.

Greet your brothers and your sisters

as they watch us from on high,

and join with them in song and dance

content you rest is neigh.

With leisure and with joy

should you embrace all your rewards,

you earned them many times

fighting on these rocky shores.

My Champion, my child,

you served with faith and grace and love,

go peacefully now to final rest

in my palace up above."

The song was one of grief and triumph, and Eros' voice granted it a sense of both loss and joy. Both of the women were crying softly as the god finished his final verse, and even David was a little misty. Of course, he was certain it was from a here-to-for unknown allergy. They all stood in silence for a few moments after Eros finished singing. Laurena thought of the ultimate sacrifice made by the previous Champion, Sapphire's mind was wrapped in thoughts of her father, and David reflected on his parents and his fallen team.

After an unknown length of time that was both too long, and far too short, Eros waved his hand over the sarcophagus and it began to shrink. Gradually, the massive tomb reduced in size until it was no larger than a pinky finger. Kneeling down, Eros picked it up and carried it to Laurena. As he approached her, she noticed the once massive sarcophagus was now a pendant, hanging from a gold chain. Stepping around her, he brushed her hair aside and clipped the pedant and necklace around her slender neck.

"You have done well finding The Creator's Champion and bringing him to me Laurena," the God of Love praised his acolyte as he closed the clasp and walked back to look into her eyes. "This next task is even more important. You must take Ophelia to The Tomb of The Champions. It is the final resting place of those who have fallen in my service, and it is the first task of every new Champion to serve me."

Stunned at his words, Laurena could say nothing, but her look of total shock and disbelief spoke volumes.

"Yes my child, you are the next Champion of Eros."

*** Epilogue ***

King Amenemhet IV, ruler of the United Kingdom of Amandure, strode swiftly along the hallways of his palace. It was still dark in those early morning hours, with both of the two moons having set. He had awakened from a deep sleep, with a summons from his mistress. He did not know what she wanted, but she had visited his dreams and commanded he come to her at once. Even a king was not foolish enough to ignore her.

Turning a corner he entered the temple. It was his personal temple, built in the center of the palace before his great-great-great grandfather had sat on the throne. Yet, while the building was the same, the residency had changed under his rule.

Gone were the trappings of foolish love and mercy that were the hallmark of that fool god Hathor. Amenemhet had been forced to grow up listening to the weak, sniveling drivel of his clergy, but had finally had enough shortly after his fifteenth spring. Tired of the insipid words of kindness and mercy, he could no longer stand how weak and meek his people had become listening to the fools. Knowing his father, the then king, would not support his vision of the future; Amenemhet slew his father in the night, and blamed an 'assassin' that was 'caught' sneaking from the city. The man was a trader from the kingdom of Hadeeth to the west. The newly crowned king had the unfortunate man executed before he could be questioned by a member of Hathor's clergy, and declared war on the Kingdom of Hadeeth.

The clergy naturally argued that he was acting against the will of their god, and that war was not the answer. King Amenemhet told them to leave his sight and never return, under penalty of death for ignoring the heinous slaughter of his father, the former king. In less than a week Amenemhet had what he wanted. He was king, the fawning, insipid clergy of Hathor were gone from his lands, and he had discovered a deity more in line with his desires in the ancient writing buried deep within the palace vaults. Sekhmet, Goddess of War, would be a much better choice to support his vision.

The next day he converted the palace temple in the first Shrine of Sekhmet. It did not take long for the goddess to respond to the prayers of her new faithful, and she offered him a choice. If every living person in his kingdom converted to her worship and followed her commands she would give them the power to conquer their enemies. If they did not, she would curse them and ensure their destruction. Amenemhet made his choice, and any member of Hathor's clergy or faithful that refused to convert were tortured and slaughtered. It took him two years, but shortly before his eighteenth birthday King Amenemhet was visited in his dreams by his new goddess, and she bestowed upon him an intimate knowledge of battle and warfare great enough to conquer any land.

For the next year his army trained relentlessly. The people's magic was weaker now - without the Blessings of Hathor - but with the knowledge of warfare and strategy that the king taught to his generals his army grew to be far stronger than anything the neighboring Kingdom of Hadeeth could field. King Amenemhet IV celebrated his nineteenth spring on the blood stained battlefields of Hadeeth. It took his army less than a year to conquer that land, and by the next year all citizens of the now United Kingdom of Amandure either publicly venerated Sekhmet, or were executed.