Changes Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I am a part of your army after all," Heather said, with a mock salute, making Jules giggle. "I have a secret," she whispered, looking around to make sure Vanessa wasn't within earshot.

Jules was almost bouncing with excitement. "What is it?" she whispered, eyes wide.

"We can get your handprint engraved on the cornerstone."

Jules squealed, hopping excitedly. "Really?" she asked softly.

"Mhm. We can go to the store and they'll take a scan of your hand and engrave it on the stone," Heather said, taking Jules' little hand in her own.

Jules looked at Heather for a second before rushing in to hug her. "When can we go?"

"What about later today? Once you're back from school?"

"But, you have work."

"I'm doing a bunk," she said with a wink.

Jules looked at her with wide eyes, and whispered, "Really? Won't mum be mad at you?"

Heather shook her head, "She's doing a bunk too!"

"Really!" Jules squealed. "How did you convince her?"

Heather was sort of unsure how to answer this. She didn't want to put Vanessa in a spot.

"I umm need help with some stuff and she agreed to help me." And after a pause, she added, "I did say 'please' though."

Jules giggled. "Mum's the best. She said I could miss school and stay home when Henry was sick. And she didn't go to work either. Helping is good."

"She is the smartest person I know," Heather whispered, poking Jules' nose. "Who's Henry?"

"He was my rabbit," Jules said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. "He died. We had a funeral and buried him in the backyard," she said with a brave smile.

"Oh I'm so sorry hon," Heather whispered, pulling her into a hug.

"It's ok. Mum said it's good to talk about things that make you sad. And that when I'm ready I can chose any pet from the shelter and give it a home. Even a snake if I want one!"

Heather laughed, "Do you really want a snake?"

Jules furrowed her eyebrows, "I don't know yet. I'm not ready."

"How will you know when you are?"

Jules shrugged, "Dad says I'll just know. Maybe when I put his cage away or when I can eat carrots without being sad. I don't know."

Heather gave her a squeeze, "Are you really just 5?" she asked giving her a peck on the cheek.

Jules giggled, "Yes! You came for birthday party, remember?" she then looked at her sympathetically, "You're just sleepy."

Laughing Heather replied, "That I am. But I remember what we agreed to do later today!"

"You're the best!" Jules exclaimed just as Vanessa emerged from the house, Jules' overnight bag with her.

"What are you two up to?"

"It's a secret," Jules said, giggling excitedly.

"I see," Vanessa said, grinning at Heather. "C'mon, lets get you buckled in," she said, helping Jules into the back seat and checking to see if her seatbelt was secure.

"Mum, I'm not a kid anymore! I'm five!"

Vanessa chuckled, "And I'm 38. So let me check your seatbelt!" she said lightly and Jules reluctantly let her.

Once she'd secured Jules in, she smiled at Heather, "Sharing secrets with the little one eh," she said softly. And when Heather grinned, Vanessa added, "It's ok, we have our own little secret, don't we?" taking a step closer to Heather. Chuckling at the look of shocked terror on Heather's face, she gave her a quick peck on her cheek before getting into the driver's seat.

"Mum," Jules said. "Heather's sleepy. You should check her seatbelt too."

Vanessa laughed. "All buckled up, sleepyhead?"

Heather looked at Jules with narrow eyes and mouthed, "Traitor," before turning to Vanessa. "Mhm. But you can check if you want."

"I'll take your word," Vanessa whispered, but her eyes as always revealed a hint of fire.