Childhood's End

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Before I left the next morning we exchanged current phone numbers and addresses. We didn't commit to each other and I think we knew that the stars didn't line up for us. We did promise to stay in touch and we had a real goodbye that time.

She hugged me at my car and kissed me as if we'd never kiss again.

"Goodbye, Jeff. Never forget me."

"Not possible, girl. I'll write you when I get settled in at school."

She nodded, gave me another hug and thanked my dad for his patience.

As we were driving away, I thought she mouthed, "I love you."

I blew her a kiss and returned from heaven to real life.

*********

We wrote to each other all through college. She got her degree in hotel management and I got mine in teaching. She was able to get a job in France at one of the major chains and took it. I was truly happy for her and didn't beg her to stay for me. I wouldn't have wanted her to resent me for missing that kind of experience.

We tried to stay in touch for a few years, but life got in the way and I haven't heard from her in about a decade.

I stayed in my hometown and married a wonderful woman with whom I went to high school. We had 2 children who are doing alright in college. Both want to be teachers, like me.

My Melissa died of ovarian cancer two years ago. No one should be taken in their 40's, it's just too young. I've been getting by okay, but it's Summer now, and without school to keep my mind occupied, I've been a little down.

I gave Melissa every bit of love that I could and we were happy, but I always had a locked door in a corner of my heart. That room was saved for Vicki and that little bit of love never went away.

*********

My dad had been after me to go fishing for a while, so we drove up to the old Bear's Paw Lodge to spend a week on the lake. It changed owners and even names a few times over the last almost 30 years since I'd been there.

As we pulled onto that familiar road, I felt a sense of sadness. I couldn't help but think of Vicki and how she made out. I had googled her a few years back and saw that she moved up to Vice-President of her hotel chain. I was glad for her.

Over the years, with her having a tough schedule, she hadn't settled down and never got married. At least she hadn't the last time I got a letter from her and when I googled her, she hadn't changed her name.

We walked up to the old lodge and I smiled as I opened the creaky screen door. It smelled the same. That old musty air that I hope never changed was still there. I noticed the old Bear's Paw sign was still up. I was glad the new owners liked it and brought it back to the name I'll always remember.

As my eyes adjusted to the light, I saw the jukebox was still in its same old spot. I pulled out a dollar, seeing that someone upgraded the electronics, but not the songs.

I smiled as I pressed B-17 and waited for her song to play.

When the song ended, I felt a hand touch my shoulder. I had tears in my eyes and didn't want him to see, so I didn't turn around.

I said to my dad, "I think of her every time I hear it. Always have."

"Me too," a soft feminine voice said.

"Vicki?" I asked as I turned around and gazed into those all too familiar brown eyes filled with their own tears.

She didn't say a word. She pulled me into a hug that was so tight I almost couldn't breathe. My dad was standing by the bar with the biggest smile I'd ever seen on him.

"Welcome to The Bear's Paw Lodge," she said through tears. "I've missed you so much."

I hugged her again and asked, "What are you doing here?"

She kissed me softly, but I felt her love in it.

"I bought the place a few years ago. I changed the name back and re-opened it after it sat vacant for a bit."

"I thought you hated this place."

"How could I possibly hate where I spent the best two weeks of my life."

I kissed and hugged her again.

She whispered in my ear, "I'm never letting you go again. It's about time we get on with the rest of our lives."

Yes it was.

12