Cities of Power Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic LiteroticaĀ® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,536 Followers

"Why would she or anyone believe me? Most people seem afraid of me now," he said sadly.

"I'm not afraid of you, and I find it hard to believe that your mother would ever be afraid of you. In fact, I am sure she would be proud of the good you have done recently," Jade said.

"You want me to take you to see my mother?" Flint asked, stunned by the turn the conversation had taken. "I doubt I would be welcome in my home village now. I'm sorry, Jade, maybe Emery could take you."

"But I don't love Emery, I barely know him," she said as if the suggestion was ludicrous.

"You can't love me," he whispered. "I'm... I'm dangerous to be around." He admitted. "I don't want that for you!"

"You can't decide who I love or not, even if you don't care for me," she said sadly. "I know you, Flint. I know you are a good and kind man who loves his family and would never hurt another soul if he could help it. There is no danger being with you, despite what happened in Pegasus by the misguided Night Walkers."

"You don't know what you're saying," he moved away from her. "You weren't there, you didn't see who I became during the battle." His guilt warred with his need for her love and acceptance.

"No, but my mother was there and saw everything and let me see it through her memories in a dream. You were brave and strong and clever. You saved those people in the cells by drawing the attention of those that would do them harm," she said with certainty. "Not one person thinks you did wrong there. Not one person from any of the cities of power believes you are evil in any way. Least of all me." She said and stepped closer to him, putting her hand on his chest. "You have a good heart, Flint. I have known that from the day I met you. I believe Ayla brought me here because we are destined to meet and be together. I believe you could care for me if you just let yourself."

"I don't want you or anyone I care about to be put in danger because of me," Flint pulled her hand from his chest but held it, not letting it go. "It is because I care that I can't do that to you."

"You silly man," she moved closer still, pressing against him and curling her free hand around his body. "I am a healer. I have power of my own. I will be in no danger being with you, and I can help you. I would be miserable if you left me here... While you went to save the world."

"Or destroy it," he murmured gruffly, reacting to her closeness, despite his resolution not to endanger her.

"Cruel, self-important men, like the Night Walkers, will destroy the world with their desire to rule. Men like that will win unless good men stand against them. Be the son of the people and the son of light," she said. "Be the son to protect the good people who know nothing of cities and prophecies. It is in you to go great things with your new found friends and the Warhammer you wield."

"My new found friends?" Flint frowned.

"The warriors of Phoenix count you and your brothers as one of them now. They are your friends and would follow you if you asked it of them. They may follow without your asking if Talon suggests it," she smiled. "I imagine some of the big men of Gryphon would feel the same, and I know those healers trapped in the cells with the madmen would assist you in any way they could. You are a hero, Flint, not a villain." She pulled her hand from his and reached up with both hands to cup his face and bring it down to her level. She smiled at his stunned expression and kissed him. "I have always believed you were a good man. The prophecy is not complete, and only arrogant men would treat it as if it was and kill an unborn child while the real son of the Hammer and Jewel stood nearby."

"What about Judah's interpretation?" Flint murmured.

"Even he cannot be certain of the true meaning, although the magicians have more insight than most. If you trust anyone, Flint, trust me. I know you. I know your heart. I love the man you were when we first met and the man you are now and the man you will become," she said stubbornly. "You will never change that, even if you stand here and reject my love."

Flint stared into her eyes in his stooped position as she held his face between her hands. He could see the truth of her words there in her eyes and let out a sigh as if a weight had been taken from him. She kissed him again, and this time he kissed her back, his arms wrapping around her as he gave in to his need to believe what she said about him, unsure if he was making the right choice, but uncaring at that moment. The sunset was before them as they talked quietly about what the future might hold for them if they remained together.

*****

xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,536 Followers