Claiming an Ally Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
titania123
titania123
1,513 Followers

"How long have you been traveling this time?"

"We left home two weeks ago, I think. We've been patrolling the border now catching bad guys."

"Really? Why are they bad?" Her voice was warm and smiling.

"They steal and kill. They take things that are not theirs."

"Hmm," she said in thought. "Tell me, does your king often chase after thieves? Is there no Lord High Marshall to do so?"

He looked up at her then, his cheek twitching in an unpleasant smile that hinted that he thought she was stupid. "The Lord High Marshall does an excellent job. But our King is fighting the blackguards from Adalynd, that is why he leads his troop. We are going to war." She stopped then, her heart slamming in her chest, her cheeks burning. War?! The sound of thunderous hooves shook her out of her revelry. She defiantly looked up at the would-be intimidator and was slightly taken aback to see the handsome man she had fully spied that morning.

The king looked down on the willful, insolent girl. He had been watching her for sometime as she happily engaged the young cook's apprentice. But something he had said made her stop foolishly. She would have been trampled had he not surged his horse forward between her and the oncoming men behind. He was slightly irritated both by her previous demeanor and now her willful impudence. However, he reminded himself it was most likely her independent, self-assured nature that was the driving force of his salvation just that morning. Perhaps it wasn't without its charms. Then again..."Why do you stop? You hold up the line."

"I'm sorry, my lord, I did not mean to cause trouble." She moved forward then, her heart racing still. He urged his horse forward to walk along side her. She realized this as a prime opportunity to understand the man her father claimed was the enemy. But looking at him caused her heart to race and her words to tumble out her ears. She took calming breaths to focus.

He stared down at the top of her head, but she refused to look back. From his vantage point, he could see the tops of her full breasts as she marched ever briskly forward. Then he noted that she walked, instead of the woman she claimed was her maid. The act seemed contradictory, but he shook of the dissidence. "You are tired."

"No, my lord, happy to be walking freely," she countered.

"You are hungry."

"No my lord, I have eaten my share this morning before we left."

"Thank you." That did get her to look up at him. She tilted her head in question. "Thank you, for saving the life of the King. You are a good citizen." He stated magnanimously, looking forward regally.

She was a little galled at his pompousness. She snorted, grabbing his attention, "You mean,saving your life."

He frowned at the contradictory woman and then sighed. "Yes, my life. Thank you." There was sincerity in his words this time and she accepted them.

With a smile she said, "You're welcome, just don't expect that I should be your personal body guard because you can't take the proper precautions to arm yourself as you should."

He was about to shout a punishing order at her, but, besides the insolent tone, there was wisdom in her words and he had no rebuttal. Her words were also softened by the sweet humor he heard there. He remembered why he had sought her out to begin with. With a disgruntled sigh, he relaxed somewhat and said, "Because you saved my life, and because it was your kill, you are to eat at my table tonight." Before she could turn and protest, his horse jumped forward trotting away.

She had never said "Yes, ma'am" or "Yes, sir," to anyone since she was fifteen. Growing up, free of subjugation had developed a healthy independent spirit. And as her father was a weak leader, she had always determined to be a strong one. Now, being commanded around by her enemy was threatening to break her composure that she worked so hard to maintain. She huffed until she realized Linus was staring up at her. "Sorry, Linus, I do not mean disrespect to your-our king. I am just flustered at the...wonderful opportunity to eat at his table. Quite excited, really," she stopped speaking because she knew the more she went on, the more it sounded like a lie. She shored up her resolve however, determining to use the meal as a means toward her end.

Eventually Linus ran off with two other boys that served officers. She was left to herself and her thoughts. The man was infuriating. She realized what irked her about him was the fact that he acted like he was her king. She had to gently remind herself that he was the King, just not of her country. She was not here to interact as she might normally if she were in her own home, in her own country. She was on a serious mission to learn what she could of this country and its king and ascertain if a truce could be called. She placed her resolve to not be affected by his officious manner but to see him through the eyes of an ordinary citizen.

With her mind settled and a renewed peace about her actions, they made camp. Three soldiers, of what she guessed to be lowest rank came over to help Leonard set up the eating tent. She learned that the men casually came and went as time permitted for their morning meal. They sat to eat together in two shifts for their supper. The king traditionally took the last shift.

Emera knew she was to eat dinner with the king and begged Leonard to allow her to go and bathe quickly so as to not be offensive, claiming she was filthy and smelled from walking all day. The kindly cook gave in to her request, though he wouldn't allow Glenna to accompany her. Taking her bag filled with her clothing and soap, she hurriedly made for the small river they had crossed a ten-minutes walk back. Though there was a larger body of water they had camped next to, Emera was not eager to bathe in so close a distance to men.

The water was clear and ran fast. Her first thought was to just kneel next to the water and splash herself, but since she was alone and not likely to be discovered, she decided to disrobe and immerse herself completely. The water was strikingly cold, causing her to lose her breath. She knew she had to be quick so she dunked herself and began scrubbing. The water was numbing to her skin and she hoped it would penetrate into her now stiffening muscles. She was a little disappointed in herself that she wasn't fitter. Walking for the better part of the day was a strenuous ordeal, but she thought her training would have better prepared her. As it was, her feet were screaming in pain and the sides of her thighs were angry and tight. She braided her thick chestnut colored mane, letting it fall over her left shoulder. Once dressed, she stretched her tight muscles and took in several calming breaths that served to strengthen and focus her. She headed back for camp and found Linus tacking the pelt of the boar up on a stretching board.

"Did you learn how to skin a boar? Was it hard?"

"Yes, their hides are tough and don't like to be removed," he said matter-of-factly before running off to gather more fire wood with his small hatchet.

While serving up the food, Emera heard whispers and noticed the appraising, surprised looks of the men as she dished out their food. Finally, when she reached a table of privates that openly ogled her, some leering, some whispering with something akin to respect, she sat the bowl sharply down and, hands on hips, demanded, "Why do you stare and whisper about me? I demand to know what the issue is."

The men were slightly surprised at her imperious tone, but a kindly-faced young soldier spoke up. "Is it true, Miss? Are you the girl that saved the king's life by killing the boar with an arrow?"

She was slightly taken aback by that. Upon quick reflection, she would have believed the King the type of man to not boast about the fact he had been taken by surprise by the wild animal and that a girl had been his rescuer. "How did you hear of that?" she asked as she served out the meat.

"Everyone has heard," the first replied.

Another spoke up. "Yes, the king told his lieutenants the girl serving under the cook was not to be bothered as she had saved his life."

"Too bad," another laughed, "some men were eager to bother you." He continued to laugh as he drank his ale. Again she was surprised by the meaning behind his words but was so flustered by it, she had no witty reply and simply dished out the food and left. She was not accustomed to being viewed in such base manners. Though she spent great amounts of time with her own soldiers at home, they had never behaved in an unfitting manner. They knew she was a princess and such comments would result in their loss of life. These men, however, thought she was nothing more than a slightly elevated peasant, lucky enough to be serving in the king's camp.

Glenna, who had proven herself more helpful in the kitchen than the princess was at a table cutting up the meat while Linus served the men on the opposite side of the tent. Dishing out more meat onto the platter she carried, Emera spoke in whispered tones. "Glenna, he has told them."

"Told them what, my dear?" she asked distractedly, slicing more and more meat.

"About me, that I saved him. He told his men expressly that they were to leave me alone." She stood up and looked around at the men thinking, "That was very kind, protective. Surely such a man is not so bad," she said, trying to convince Glenna they had more evidence that this king wasn't nearly as bad as she had been lead to believe.

Glenna cocked up an eyebrow at her then. The poor girl was so naïve. She didn't realize that by keeping his men away from her, he was staking a claim to her. The king wasn't protecting her from his men for her own sake, but for his. Eventually the first shift ended and the men cleared. The four worked quickly to clean the platters and began serving the next group. The king arrived and all the men stood. He looked around and saw Emera piling meat on a large platter. He took his place and sat, the signal for the rest of his men to do likewise. That was the cue for them to start serving. Just as Emera was about to pick up the platter, a man approached her.

"The king wishes to thank you for the service you rendered him by allowing you to eat at his table. This way, please." She took another deep breath, set her platter down, removed her apron, and followed behind the man. She felt all the eyes in the tent on her. Her stomach was folding itself in such tight knots. Despite being royalty, dining frequently with other royalty, she was apprehensive about eating next to this man. Part of her assured it was simply the nature of her mission, but part of her felt as though it was something different, something more. When she approached the empty chair, no one stood, as was custom for the princess, but she understood why.

Be polite, be gracious, be subservient... the last thought irked her, subservient indeed. But this was her opportunity, this was the reason she was here and she could not afford to let her cheeky retorts damage that opportunity.

Edrich had watched the emotions play across her beautiful face, her eyes closed. He wondered what she thought about. Her breathing was increasing and he chanced a glance at her quickly rising and falling breasts. It was a mesmerizing reminder of what he witnessed not just a few hours previously. After stopping the march for the day, while discussing strategy with a commander that was to stay at the next village they entered, he noticed his newly placed subject walk hurriedly from camp with her satchel. Was she leaving? They were not near Clearvalley, and she was walking in the opposite direction. Her behavior puzzled him so he followed. As the road bent and became a bridge over the small river, he heard splashing water and a loud, shrill gasp.

Twenty yards off the road, he stood that afternoon, in the shadow, mesmerized by the most tantalizing, compelling sight he'd ever seen in his 28 years of life. She had been a beautiful sight that morning after she had saved him, even when she was standing defiantly against him. But naked, lathering and rinsing herself in the water which was obviously freezing, she was sheer perfection. Her skin was smooth and taut over her shapely muscles. Her back was well sculpted and her waist narrowed gracefully before flaring into toned hips and thighs. Her ass was full, but not wide. The water ran tantalizingly over her skin, causing it to glitter as though she were a fairy. The setting sun cast a warm glow to her and he knew there wasn't anything more beautiful in the world.

He couldn't move, even wanting to go to her and join her, he stood in the shadows entranced. His breath grew ragged and an unsettling ache filled his loins. Despite his growing discomfort, he stayed and allowed the torturous sight to fill him with torrid desire. Only when she moved to get out was he brought back to reality, and slipped away quietly.

Now, seated across from her at his table, her eyes closed in concentration, he felt the threat of that entrancement creeping up on him again. That disturbed him. He was torn between his natural want of speaking to her to hear her tart replies and ignoring her altogether so as to be free of the obsessive feelings she inspired. Unfortunately, it wasn't his choice to make.

"Tell us, er-"

"Em, you may call me Em," she replied to the graying man.

"Em, lovely. Tell us, Em, what transpired this morning that you earned so many privileges, my dear." The general was curious about the beautiful interloper that the king had laid such strong protection over.

"Privileges, sir? I'm not certain I follow."

"Well, for starters, you are under the personal protection of the king. I would think that alone would be the highest honor a simple maiden could receive, and yet he has extended to you a seat at his table. Surely, these are great privileges, are they not?" he asked comically.

"I take your meaning, sir. Yes, indeed, these are great privileges." She looked at the king sideways, to gauge his reaction. "But I will tell you the service rendered this morning, and you may tell me if the rewards are equal to the service." She smiled, daringly at the king. "My maid and I were traveling and I was out in the brush looking for pheasant for breakfast when I came upon a man emerging from the lake. As he approached the bank, a wild hog came out of the brush and attacked. The man was defenseless, but I had my arrow ready, aimed and killed it. I saved, at the very least, his legs if not his life." She began eating the aforementioned beast. Tasty, she thought. She looked up at the quizzical, amused faces of the men sitting near the king. He himself looked amused, but with an edge of danger, as though silently warning her that her tongue was too sharp for his liking.

"Ah, so this man, I take it, was he a soldier?" the general grinned knowingly.

"Presumably the best, sir."

"And he had no weapon?" the man taunted.

"Not within reach, sir. When I realized he was soldier, I asked him about it, that he would go far unarmed in such dangerous territory." She looked at the king as she continued to speak. "He did not appreciate my observation of his lack of care."

The gray man began laughing whole-heartedly at that. "I don't doubt it. Arrogance is a dangerous thing when it leads a man to believe he is invincible." At that, he patted the king's shoulder.

"Yes, as I have observed. And let me assure you, general, the man was quite arrogant. In fact, do you know what he said, just moments after I saved his life? He dared to suggest I was the one in need of protection, as though he had not just witness the death of the beast that had threatened him. And that the protection, he could offer. Imagine such arrogance," she chuckled, looking over her goblet at the king. His dark gaze piercing her, stopping her breath.

"Yes, well, two women traveling alone is dangerous regardless of ability to use a weapon. It was ridiculous and soft-headed of you to believe you could have made safe passage through the borderlands alone. There are too many dangers here for a woman."

She bristled slightly, but overrode her temper with reason. He was being offensive to her, a highly trained person accustomed to having her word obeyed. Nonetheless, she knew he was right. Despite any skill she had, could she fight off a gang of five or six men? Most likely not. He was not attacking the Princess of Adalynd, he was merely pointing out that a woman, possibly even a single man, traveling alone in this dangerous time was not wise. "You are right, my lord. It was fool hearty to believe we would have been safe. It was very...fortuitous, that we should come across Your Majesty and be granted such benevolent protection."

Her words were sincere, even though a little reluctantly spoken. He raised his eyebrow at her acquiescence. She agreed, but not happily like most ladies he knew would have. Her continual insolence made him wonder at her breeding. She spoke as though she thought herself equal to him, the king! He would love to discover just how equal the two of them were, in the bed, that was. With that thought, he grunted. She looked at him and it was her turn to wonder about his thoughts.

"Yes, the borderlands have become very dangerous. And now, with Your Majesty claiming more and more villages previously under Adalynd rule, I wonder that it won't continue to grow more tumultuous." That statement stopped all other conversation at the table, and wide eyes glanced between her and the king. He too had stopped eating and his expression began to grow dark once more.

"Do you intend to mean that I am causing war?"

She was a rush of hot nerves, her face flushing with fear. Deep breath. "I only mean to point out that land under the king's protection grows daily. This no doubt is disconcerting for the king of Adalynd."

"You think I am stealing?"

"Is that not what war is? Taking over land that was not yours through the use of force? Why else would countries fight? The ever expanding kingdom, is that not Your Majesty's goal?"

"Not necessarily," he said, feeling as though he were walking into a trap. She was correct. He was taking over Adalynd village by village. In his mind, these lands should belong to him, though technically, they were part of the Adalynd kingdom.

"Truly, My Lord? Where will Your Majesty be satisfied, I wonder? At which village will you feel that you have gained enough land? When will your...our kingdom be whole?" She tried to remain innocent and simply curious during her inquisitions, but found the very thought of someone, even this powerful man, taking what belonged in her kingdom, infuriating. However, despite the bubbling turmoil in her heart, her face remained calm.

"The borderlands are unsafe."

"Yes, My Lord, there are often attacks from soldiers."

"From bandits pillaging."

"Not from soldiers? What accounts for your presence here?"

"Soldiers are here to keep the peace. When the marauders attack, the soldiers subdue them, and to ensure continued peace in a village, the soldiers remain."

"Even when the village technically is of Adalynd?"

"Yes. Their disruption of peace affects us all. If they had such a king as to be responsible to care for his land, my soldiers would have no need to encroach further." There was a round of agreeing grunts and 'here, here' from the men surrounding the arguing pair.

"Despite the fact that your encroachment further angers and disrupts the peace in Adalynd?"

He squinted his eyes at her. "You are quite concerned with the peace of Adalynd?"

"Only as Your Majesty has pointed out before; the peace of Adalynd concerns us all. War should be avoided at all cost, especially with a neighboring country."

"Histories show us that war is most common between neighbors," he rebuffed.

titania123
titania123
1,513 Followers