Claiming an Ally Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I am ready," she said approaching him. She was fully clothed, including a cloak. Life was beginning to sparkle in her eyes once more, even if severely muted in comparison to its previous dazzle.

He felt as though he should explain his actions, partly because he felt the girl deserved an apology and partly because he never wanted to be disloyal. However, even though the air fell heavy with need, he remained wordless and led her to the door. They descended the staircase in darkness and silence. She followed him through a short maze of empty halls, though she could hear voices reverberating off the stone corridors. Within in no time, he was standing next to a large entrance that opened into the main hall. Emera could see a few people about as the evening supper finished. She immediately sucked herself against the wall and looked to him with frightened eyes.

"Do not be so afraid. The king is in his chambers. No one knows of your presence here with the exception of Alma and myself. We will walk along this wall calmly and out into the bailey. The strength of this castle is that it has no other entrance or exit. That also means there is only one exit from the courtyard, and it is guarded by at least two men. Now, I will approach them first and distract them. When their backs are turned, that is your only chance of escape. I am sorry, but I cannot give you a horse." He looked around once more. With a sigh, he reached into his tunic and pulled out short sword and passed it to her. She hid it under cloak as well as the small parcel of food.

As he had planned, she stood to the side in the shadows of the courtyard waiting until the three guards around the castle's gate were gathered around Robert. Ta-dunth, ta-dunth, ta-dunth her heart in her ears beat. Deep breath in, she slipped through the raised port-cullis and into the darkness of the open valley.

She followed the muddy road for over an hour, the occasional animal screech the only accompaniment she took with her. The moon only half full gave enough light she could see a step in front of her, but not further. Her ears were trained for the sound, looking behind her, listening for her fear to approach on dread hooves. As she neared the woods Robert had described, her ears lit at the distant dampened ba-da-rrump, sending terror shooting through her.

Advantageously cloaked in the black obscurity of the night, Emera dashed from the road, concealing herself behind two trees. She waited, listening, as the oncoming horses drew closer and closer. With much relief, she realized the sound had been coming from in front of her, and was therefore not the doom of a search party. After a few minutes of waiting, two horse sped by, the riders barely discernable silhouettes against the vast darkness. Breathing for control over her fears, Emera stepped back onto the trodded path and entered the woods.

"Your Majesty," Robert entered Edrich's chamber and found the king on the floor, his body leaning against the hearth with his knees drawn up so his arms could rest leisurely on them. He turned towards his trusted servant.

"Yes, Robert?" In his broken position before the fire, the flames cast light and shadow across the king's face. His power highlighted in the strength of his jaw and cheeks, and forehead and his agony deepened by the shadows at his eyes and mouth.

"Your Majesty, the...accomplice to the alleged spy has been brought to the castle."

His eyebrows cut thoughtfully at that. Robert thought he saw the faintest tightening of his body, jaw clenched in restraint. "Did Jenner accompany her?"

Robert kept his eyes focused on the floor. "No, your Majesty. Before I left the camp yesterday, I took it upon myself to personally instruct the scouts looking for the woman to bring her directly here. I wanted...to ensure her capture and thorough interrogation by you, sire." He dared a glance at him, hoping to find the king pleased. Instead, he found him pensive, but not angry, so he accepted it with caution. "She is in the great hall."

Though Edrich had dispensed with his anger against Em, he knew truth was still hidden in the muddy waters of the entire incident. He needed to confirm exactly what information Em gathered and attempted to send to Adalynd. It would serve to both protect his troops' positions, but also to satisfy the hope that somehow, Em hadn't betrayed him as deviously as Jenner had claimed. He nodded and stood.

Robert followed behind, anxious to hear what the woman would have to say. Though he generally trusted his instincts, he prayed he was not wrong in trusting Em. The king stalked slowly into the room. The scout, tired and dirty from constant travel stood in front of the woman he recognized as Glenna. Two guards stood at either side of her. Her hands were tied together in front of her. She was dirty and her face looked wearied and full of fear.

As Edrich approached, the two guards forced her to her knees. The scout took a knee as well. "Sire," he began, "I captured the spy on the far side of the mountain. She was traveling alone and had this bag of supplies. It contained a letter." He handed the folded, sealed paper to Edrich.

The king took it silently as he continued to study her face for any hint of truth. She only gave him fear. "You know why you are here. You and Em are spies from Adalynd. I want to know what your exact mission was and what information you carried back to your king."

Glenna had begun shaking her head. "No, no, your Majesty. We are not spies-"

"The espionage is assured. Do not wiggle now that you are caught. Tell me, what I want to know."

Her voice quivered as tears welled deep. "No, not spies, your Majesty. My mistress only wanted to know what sort of man you were, what sort of king. When that man came to the palace, the king, he was afraid you were planning an attack, he wanted to believe. But the princess-"she stopped, eyes wide as she realized her slip.

Edrich narrowed his eyes. "Princess? What has the princess to do with this?"

Glenna only mutely shook her head, no more breath to speak with. He scowled at her. When her fear took over her senses, her eyes drifted to the letter. Edrich looked slowly down at the missive in his hand. He watched the woman as he broke the seal and unfolded the crisp paper. He finally, slowly turned his eyes to the exquisite script.

Father,
All things are well in the beautiful land I find myself. The trees here are larger around than those of the forests near our home. There is plenty of wild game, providing adequate sport. As you know, I can never refuse a hunt, and have thus far killed enough to feed an army. Of course, the boar was incidental to defending a newly found friend. I am enjoying the liberty that travel provides and anticipate when we will be together again.
All my love,
Emera

"Emera," he whispered. "Who wrote this?" She made no reply. "Who wrote this!" he raged.

"Th-the princess, the princess of Adalynd. Princess Emera."

He was breathing torrents of air. "When did she give you this letter?"

"In the village. In Clearvalley, after we left your camp."

Through the whirling buzz in his head he grasped for what he could to anchor him to his honor. "You lie," his voice wavered, his uncertainty clear.

"Your Majesty, that is only one letter. I have another. Another that tells the information you want to know." He did not object as she reached into her bodice and pulled out the secreted letter. In trembling hands, she held it to the giant man.

He took it and opened it quickly. The same hand filled the small page.

Father,
If, by now, you have read my other letter, you know I am well and happy. We are quite fortunate that I left to corroborate or disavow the information the man Jenner brought to us. I hope you will join me in taking delight in the truth. Edrich is not interested in making war on us to amass more territory. He is concerned only with the peace in our borderlands. He does not think our forces adequately protect and guard against the brigands that roam the land so freely. I believe he is willing address the issue with you, father. Please, come at once to Clearvalley or at the very least send a letter to him, inviting him to discuss the protection of these lands. Please make every effort to seek peace with this man. Not only because it affects the well-being of our country, but because I would like to keep the friend and ally I have made, forever.
My deepest love,
Emera

Edrich could only stare numbly at the writing. Em was the princess of Adalynd. She came to him, seeking an alliance, not to steal information to harm him with. His eyes began to cloud with moisture, blurring his vision. His fingertips felt the condensed thump, thump, rap against the paper. His thumb rubbed softly over the fallen sprinkles of his eyes. The ink smeared, rubbing off slightly onto his thick digit. He stopped rubbing and let the tear soak into the thick paper, bubbling it in rounded deformity. Emera, Emera, Emera. The lyrical sound reverberated through his soul, his mind. His heartbeat. He felt his heartbeat.

He lifted his eyes to the woman, whose fear shifted into bewilderment. Glenna recognized something in the king's eyes that made her feel as though her position was safe. "Your Majesty, where is my lady?" The question left dangerous answers hanging in the air.

"Emera? She is the princess, Emera, yes?" He had to hear it. Had to have the verbal confirmation. The sound had to be expelled into the air, confirming his fears and hopes.

"Yes, your Majesty. The girl, who you knew as Em, is the princess. Please believe me, her intentions were good. She wanted to stop war, not make it. She is the best ruler there is." Her eyes pleaded.

Edrich turned from the group, his purpose clear. "Treat her as a guest," he directed Robert on his way out.

Not a traitor. Not a traitor. Wanted to save her people. Stop war. Not a traitor. She wants me as an ally. She wants more. She wants me. She wants more. Not a traitor. Not an evil traitor. She wants peace. She wants me. He ascended the stairs, his heart flying to her, his heart pulling him through his chest. Soft light falling down the steps, sweeping up the walls began registering in his mind as out of place. The fall of his footsteps slowed and then stopped, his eyes flooded with the open door. The light from the fire pit running out of the room, flashing past him in haunting taunt.

The door was open.

Rushing in, he slashed around, looking frantically. Empty. She's gone; she's not here. Rushing to the window, he leaned out into the dark. "Emera!"

******
1. MDS (or, Magic Dick Syndrome): This entry actually made me smile in appreciation. Your annoyance or anger is exactly what I was hoping for. Well, at least that you realize it can't be that easy to fall for the guy. My hope here was to show that despite all the bad that Edrich has and will put her through, she is irresistibly attracted to him. I liked how one reader commented "She, in that moment, cannot be expected to remain indifferent." Yes, she is smart and will learn to control her responses to him in the future, but it is her natural reaction to want him. And as an innocent girl, she didn't yet know how. I hope this chapter has cleared up her position and has re-earned your respect.

2. 'Anachronisms': Perhaps I didn't make it clear through my writing, but this was supposed to be more of a fairy-tale, and less a historical piece. So, b/c of that, I was hoping to get away with some word usage. That being said, it is helpful as the writer to know that throws your reading off, so I've worked harder to curb my usage of more modern language. Although, any suggestions on what to call the g-spot? ;)

3. Plausibility of Emera being the 'warrior princess.': Again, as a fairy-tale, I had hoped it wouldn't be too far from the norm for a woman to be capable with certain weapons given a particular status in life. However, you raised excellent questions about establishing a character that I will think about when I write in the future. I may even be able to slip in a few of your suggestions in the up-coming chapters. So, thank you for a helpful perspective in character development.