Code Name Tequila Ch. 18

Story Info
Ria and Carlos deal with the aftermath of Fernandez's action.
8.5k words
4.83
13.6k
5

Part 18 of the 23 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 04/29/2009
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Black Oak exploded with anger. He had listened intently and quietly while Ria had recounted the events leading up to Andre Fernandez's death, but once she was finished, he let loose with a tirade.

"How did this happen? A suspect in custody gets loose and grabs an agent's gun to kill himself. He should have even been in custody in the first place. How could you let this happen?"

Jarvis Cleethorpe, the third party on the three-way conference call, cringed. He understood Black Oak's anger. This was a case that the CIA had been working on for years, and the death of Fernandez in the custody of the Carlos and Ria was both a blow to the case and potentially exposed the operation that the CIA was undertaking to the Aguila Roja. However, Jarvis was also aware that Ria hadn't initiated what had occurred, but had simply been witness to it. Further, she wasn't even a trained agent, simply a mole planted in an organisation with minimal training. To lay blame onto her seemed unfair, Jarvis thought. He was surprised at the strength of Ria's reply.

"I didn't LET anything happen. I tried to calm Carlos down, and maintain cover as best we could, but events were already beyond my control when Carlos kicked in Fernandez's door," Ria said. "I'm not happy this happened either."

The phone line was almost silent for a moment, with only the heavy breathing of Black Oak breaking the silence. Finally, Black Oak spoke, his voice strained. "Okay, fine. You're right, of course, I'm not mad at you. I'm very pissed off at this damn Colombian agent Sanz who had jeopardized our entire investigation, but that's a matter for me to take up with my counterpart at the DAS. Let's just get the current mess cleaned up and see where we go from here. Cleethorpe – who do we have in Santiago who can smooth this over?"

Jarvis had been expecting the question, and already had put some pieces into action. "I already have Tyne from the embassy on his way over to clean the hotel room and deal with the hotel management. Parker and Ryman are securing an ambulance as we speak. They are going to pose as paramedics, and take Fernandez to the Clinca O'Higgins with 'chest pains.' We have a doctor on the payroll there who will sign off a death certificate as a heart attack. I'll get Pierce to run point on finding the two girls who were with Fernandez. Ria, Pierce will be in contact to get what information he can from you about them."

Black Oak let out a long sigh. "Fine. Ria, you can drop off now. I want to talk to Jarvis for a moment about another matter." Black Oak waited until he heard the beep indicating that Ria had dropped the line. "Jarvis, what the hell happened to this investigation? We haven't heard from Cho or Juarez in a couple days, Chambers dropped off the map days ago and now Santiago has gone to hell. Is there any chance of salvaging this?"

Jarvis paused to consider how to best frame his answer. Finally, he said, "I don't know, sir. If the Fernandez heart attack story can hold, then perhaps we can maintain Ria's cover. We'll just have to keep hoping for contact from the others. I'll keep an eye on the chatter and see if there are any rumours about Fernandez, or if the story is being accepted, and let you know."

Before hanging up, as usual without a greeting, Black Oak said, "all I know is that we need to ensure that the Colombians don't get in our way again."

* *

Carlos deeply inhaled the cool night air. He knew he'd lost his cool, and fucked up, and now his supervisor knew. He called his handler back in Colombia, who had spent 40 minutes yelling at him over the phone. Finally, his supervisor's thirst for screaming quenched, the line went silent for a moment. Carlos waited while his supervisor thought of a rational answer to the problem. After a moment the supervisor said through a deep sigh, "Just go back and race this weekend. Keep your cover. I'll call the Americans and see about brushing Fernandez's death under the rug. When are you back in Colombia?"

"A few days time," Carlos said. "Tomorrow we qualify, the race is one Sunday and then Monday we fly up to Cartenga to start preparing for the next race."

"Fine, we'll have a long talk when you get back," the supervisor said. "In the meantime, don't do anything related to the case. Just keep your cover."

The supervisor hung up. Carlos shook his head. He couldn't believe what he had done. His only goal had ever been to help his country. He'd been working on the Aguila Roja case for four years, two years spent in the junior racing circuits building up a name for himself so he could get himself promoted to a drive with in the Pan American Racing Series. Then, after getting a drive with the Cabo Blanco team, Carlos had spent the last two years collecting information on the Tabernas brothers, and especially developing the relationship with Andre Fernandez.

Now Carlos had blown it all by acting hastily.

Carlos had never wanted to be a race car driver. That was his father's dream for Carlos. Carlos had started racing at the age of 5, his father putting him behind the wheel of a go-kart and entering him in local competitions. Carlos continued to excel at the sport, moving up the ranks and getting noticed by professional racing teams. His father was so happy, until the day when Carlos turned 18 and announced that he was quitting racing and pursuing his own dream. The dream that Carlos had harboured since he was a little boy. To join the army and serve his country.

Carlos enlisted in the basic infantry, but his impressive record in amateur racing meant the army had other plans for him than cannon fodder. They put him in a transportation unit, and after boot camp he was given a role driving military and political brass around. It was mostly boring work driving in motorcades, but for VIPs, the army wanted the best drivers in case things went wrong.

The DAS, the Colombian security force was in the process of putting together a plan to infiltrate the network of the Aguila Roja. They knew that the Aguila Roja had his claws in the Pan-American Racing Series, and was using the series as a method for transporting drugs and weapons. Getting people into positions in the league was tough. They had agents working on the periphery of the organisation in minor roles, but no one close to the top people. The DAS had their eye on Fernandez and the Tabernases, and wanted an agent who could get close to those people.

The DAS noticed that the racing drivers were often by the sides of the top people in the organisation, people like the Tabernases drawn to the glamour and legitimacy that being close to the racing driver gave them. If only they had someone who could pose as a driver, but the DAS knew they'd need an actual racing car driver to get to that level.

Luckily, one of the DAS agents had been a fan of amateur kart racing, and knew the story of Carlos Sanz, the driver who had quit a promising racing career to serve his country. "Maybe Mr. Sanz would like to both have his racing career and serve his country," the agent suggest. So the DAS recruited Carlos out of the army and into the world of international espionage.

Carlos at first resisted. The army had been his dream. The DAS is persistent and determined, though, and eventually they wore down Carlos' resolve until he said yes.

Carlos had been happy at first, knowing that his reports were helping to build a case against the Aguila Roja and his accomplices who were subjecting Colombia to their drug-money fuelled terror. But as the months turned to years, Carlos started to wonder how much information he would have to gather. He implored his supervisors to act, pointing out the mountains of information they had against people like the Tabernases and Andre Fernandez. The DAS resisted though, saying they didn't want to move against the organisation of Aguila Roja unless they could capture the Aguila Roja at the same time. Until the Aguila Roja was identified, no action would be taking.

While the DAS sat by, waiting for the perfect time to act, the Aguila Roja continued to terrorise the country, forcing farmers to work growing drugs, terrorising the local police and judges that tried to stop the drug trade, and filling the streets with armed thugs to carry out the Aguila Roja's will. Carlos didn't understand the hesitation. Surely while the DAS continued their investigation, they could make moves against the organisation, taking out the parts of it that they knew about. Arresting Fernandez and Tabernas might not stop the Aguila Roja, but it would slow him for sure, and having the Aguila Roja's accomplices in custody might allow the DAS to get further evidence against the Aguila Roja.

Carlos had become frustrated with the inaction of his superiors, and that had driven him to do what he had done with Fernandez. Now he was sure that the DAS would pull him off the case. He couldn't just sit by and obey his supervisor's order to do nothing related to the Aguila Roja case. All Carlos wanted to do was do something to see Colombia improved.

The DAS might not understand that urge, but Carlos knew that one person would. Carlos pulled out his mobile phone, pulled up an entry in his contact list and dialled the number. The other end engaged.

"Hello, Mr. Ortiz? It is Carlos Sanz. I need to tell you something."

* *

Roberto reread the memo he had just crafted for the seventh time. He wanted it to be perfect. As the new head of security for the Aguila Roja's Chilean operations he knew the Aguila Roja would not tolerate any mistakes. He knew this because Roberto had previously been the second in command of security for the Aguila Roja's Chilean operations. Roberto had been promoted after the Aguila Roja, upset that the previous head of security had allowed a break-in at the Santiago warehouse, shot the head of command. As the blood poured out of the wound inflicted on the dead man, the Aguila Roja had turned to Roberto and said, " Don't fail me. You see what happens to those who fail me."

Roberto obviously wanted to avoid a similar fate. That is why the memo and all the material to back it up had to have been perfect.

After the break-in at the Santiago warehouse, Roberto had followed a number of investigative paths to determine who was responsible.

The first path was to find out how had rented the car that had fled the scene.

The second path was to figure out how a rental Renault hatchback had out run far superior cares. Despite being chased halfway across Santiago by trained drivers in far superior cars, the little Renault rental had escaped, taking with it those responsible and two of the Aguila Roja's security force.

The third path was to determine what happened to the two security men who went missing after the chase.

The final path was to run background checks on everyone involved in the Pan Am racing series, based on the fact that a man killed in the shoot out at the warehouse had worked at the Ritz Carlton hotel in Santiago where everyone from the racing series was staying.

Following the first path, Roberto contacted the rental company. As the rental company had told Roberto's former and now dead boss, the car had not been rented to anyone on that day as it had been crushed a week earlier. Roberto called in a favour from a friend, an old friend from Roberto's days in the Chilean army. The friend was now working for a security consultancy that did work for the rental company. The friend couldn't determine the identity of the person who rented the car, but was able to determine that the car was rented from a location in the Ritz Carlton hotel in Santiago. The friends suggested that while the records may have been destroyed in the main computers at head office, the location itself might have some record of who rented the car.

Roberto had a couple of his men pay a visit to the rental office after houses and examine the computer and paper records, but they also found no record of the rental. However, they noticed that a number of rental agreements were filled out by the Concierge desk at the hotel for their guests. Roberto took a chance that perhaps the Concierge desk might keep records of rentals they made on behalf of their guests, and after a small pay out to a hotel staffer, Roberto struck pay dirt. They did have a record of the rental.

At the same time that this investigative path was being followed, Roberto also had one of his men document the path the chase had taken. The recreation was based on the recollections of two of the security men who were in one of the chase vehicles, as well as information gleaned from police and media reports of the incident. The man, who was a fair driver, came to a single conclusion of how the Renault had escaped. The driver of the Renault was one of the best drivers he'd ever seen.

The third path, determining the whereabouts of the two security men who had gone missing garnered little but shady rumour. However, one of the rumours seemed to come up more often than others. The men were being held in Colombia.

Finally, Roberto ran a number of background checks into those working with the Pan American racing league, and based on what he had found on his other investigative tracks, concentrated on a single individual.

An individual who was from Colombia, where the men captured were now being held. An individual who was one of the best car drivers in the world. An individual who quit racing to join the army and serve his country, only to rejoin the racing world a few months later. An individual whose name was on the original rental record.

Roberto finished reading his memo. In two pages, he laid out a clear, documented case that the man who had rented the Renault, who had broken into the warehouse, who had captured the security men and sent them to Colombia, who was most likely working for special forces in Colombia was none other than Cabo Blanco racing's top driver.

Carlos Sanz.

* *

Carlos, after meeting with Jorge Ortiz at his hotel room, took the elevator down a few floors and knocked on another hotel room door. The door was opened by Ria, who upon seeing Carlos had a sour look on her face. Despite the frown, Ria invited Carlos in, and closed the door behind him.

"I know how you must feel," Carlos said.

"I doubt it," Ria retorted. "First you bust down Fernandez's door for no good reason. Then you beat the crap out of him, tie him up poorly and leave a gun for him, which luckily he used on himself and not us. Then you just vanish, leaving me to arrange to have the mess cleaned and covered up. What the hell got into you?"

Carlos looked down at the carpet. "I know, it was stupid mistake after stupid mistake tonight. I've jeopardized the Aguila Roja investigation, destroyed my career and worst of all, driven away one of the only people in the world who I trust. I can't even imagine how I can make it up to you."

"You can't," Ria said harshly, then immediately felt bad about it as she watched Carlos' shoulders slump. "I didn't mean that," she said. "I'm angry, Carlos, and am libel to say things in the heat of the moment right now. Just take it with a grain of salt, okay?"

Carlos nodded, still looking down at the carpet.

"But you do have a lot of work to do to get me back on side," Ria said. "Above the investigation and your career, what you did tonight wounded me personally. I thought we were working well as a team, stronger as a duo then two alone. Then you go off on your own, ignoring me and anything I suggested just because I made a suggestion you personally didn't like. It made me wonder if the trust I was putting in you was being genuinely returned, or if you worked with me only because it was convenient, and tonight my convenience wore out."

Carlos looked up with sad eyes. "No, no, Butterfly. Not at all. I do trust you, and I too think we are better as a team. I just lost myself tonight. That had nothing to do with you. It was me, and my frustration at watching day after day pass, evidence piling up on the plans and organisation of the Aguila Roja, and my superiors taking no action. I swear, I never wanted to ignore you, or make you feel like I didn't appreciate you. I do, I promise you, I do."

Carlos' shoulders started to shake, and he put his head down again. Ria walked over took him in her arms. Carlos laid his head on her shoulder, burying his face in her shoulder. She felt his body quiver as he silently cried into her shoulder.

Ria kissed the top of Carlos' head. He looked up at her. Ria reached up and wiped the tears off his cheeks with her thumb. Carlos kissed her hand gently, his eyes locked with hers. Ria ran her hand through his hair, and felt Carlos' hands move up her back, pulling her closer. Carlos leaned forward and kissed Ria on the left cheek, and then the right cheek.

Ria closed her eyes, opening her mouth slightly. Carlos placed his lips upon hers. They made no move for a moment, holding each other, their lips pressed together in a motionless kiss. After a minute, Ria pulled slightly away, their lips parting. Carlos moved his head back towards Ria's, and they engaged in another kiss, this one more passionate as tongues, teeth and lips hungrily engulfed each other.

The two kissed, slowly moving in a spin across the room, like a pair of dancers engaged in a slow motion waltz. The two, eyes closed and mouths ajoined, reached the bed on instinct. Ria bent her knees and fell onto the bed. Carlos quickly followed, falling on top of her like a blanket, smothering her with his body. Their lips joined again.

Their hands tore at the other's clothing. Soon the two were naked, atop the duvet, limbs entwined. Their lips barely ever parted as their hands ran over the naked flesh of the partner. Ria's legs wrapped around Carlos' waist. Carlos' right arm reached underneath Ria's back and lifted her off the bed. Carlos felt Ria pressing her buttocks against his groin. He felt Ria's hand reached down and grab the stiff rod between his legs, and guide it towards her.

He entered her, felt her breath hot on his lips as he pressed deeper into her. She let out only the slightest moan as his length pressed into her. Carlos closed his eyes, pressed his lips against Ria's more firmly, and started to slowly push in and out of Ria. Her hands softly gripped his back, her nails tracing small circles on his back.

Their lips parted and Carlos straighten up, increasing the speed and depth of his thrusting. His eyes locked with Ria's, and the two looked at each other, making no noise except for the soft slap of skin against skin. Ria stroked Carlos' face gently with one hand while the other started to dig nails into his back.

Carlos' eyes were still sad, Ria thought, in complete contrast to the erotic throb from his groin and the straining muscles of his back, almost like his head and body were two separate entities. She watched as a tear started to run from his eye and down his cheek. Ria wiped it away with her thumb and said, "Don't worry, Carlos. It'll all be alright somehow. If nothing else, we have each other."

Carlos closed his eyes, leaned his head back and let out a primal scream. Everything released from Carlos at once. Tears ran down his face. He screamed until his voice cracked. He released his orgasm into Ria. The muscles on his back hardened with tension, and then slackened with relief.

Carlos lay down beside Ria, curling himself up in a ball. Ria stroked his hair and told him that things were going to be okay until he drifted off to sleep.

* *

Rodrigo Tabernas stirred from the bed and looked at the clock beside his bed. Four-thirty-three in the morning. A knock on the door at 4:33 in the morning was never good news. Rodrigo threw on the terry-cloth robed provided by the hotel, and walked out of the bed room and into the sitting room of the suite. He peered through the peep hole of the door, and sighed.