Coming From Behind Ch. 07-08

Story Info
We're in business!
8.9k words
4.78
43.9k
16
Story does not have any tags

Part 4 of the 6 part series

Updated 11/01/2022
Created 05/12/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
coaster2
coaster2
2,590 Followers

Chapter 7 A Whole New Ballgame

We walked into the office of Valley Investments precisely at ten on Monday morning, noticing that Norman Fears' secretary was still out on an errand. He appeared almost immediately.

"Good morning, Mr. Monahan. I'm pleased to see you are on time. I assume you have a proposal to put forward this morning?" he said, completely ignoring Catherine.

"Yes, as promised, I have a proposal," I confirmed as we sat in front of his desk.

I handed him a binder with several pages in it and he quickly opened it, flicking through pages, obviously looking for the number I was offering. When he found it his face darkened and I could see anger forming.

"This is unacceptable, Mr. Monahan. You've wasted my time and I'm not pleased," he bluffed.

"Well, if you review the material, you'll see my rationale for that offer, Mr. Fears. First of all, its only value is as either a golf course or farm land. You will find an independent appraisal of the property as potential farm land and it indicates a maximum price of forty-five-hundred per acre. That would equate to a little less than four hundred thousand for the eighty-eight acres. That is the maximum value and I'm prepared to offer that to you here and now."

"It's worth more than that as a golf club," he spat, now quite agitated.

"Perhaps, but not in the condition that Bending Willows is in right now. It's going to take several million dollars to put it into the shape it needs to be in to make it viable. My offer is unconditional and is in cash. You won't be taking any paper in exchange."

He looked up at that, clearly not having read the proposal in any detail yet. He sat back in his chair and rubbed his chin, probably trying to think of a way to save face. I didn't need to rub it in any more. It was his decision to make.

"I'd like some time to study this offer and discuss it with my partners. I have to tell you that it's very disappointing but I will at least do you the courtesy of looking it over carefully. I should be able to get back to you today," he said, with a crestfallen look. His little dreams had been shattered and he knew it.

"Fine. I can give you that. I have all my other components in place so a yes or a no from you will complete our discussions."

He stood, but again didn't offer his hand.

"Thank you for your patience, Mr. Fears. I'll look forward to hearing from you."

With that, we left the office.

"Did that go the way you expected?" Catherine asked.

"Not quite, but close enough. His mythical partners are probably one Mr. John Fortrand who will no doubt encourage him to accept my offer. Unbeknownst to Norman, I have sent Mr. Fortrand a copy of the real estate appraisal so he knows what we believe the disposal price is. That should speed up the process."

"You've thought of everything haven't you," she said seriously.

"I hope so," I sighed. "This has become important to me. Every day I'm thinking about what kind of golf course I want and how I will market it to the people of the Portland area. I've been making notes about buildings and contractors and golf course architects. I will have to make all kinds of decisions, even down to how we will mow the grass and tend the greens. I've got a whole lot more questions than I have answers."

"Well, for what it's worth, I hope he sells to you. I can see how much this means to you."

"That's worth a lot to me, Catherine. I want you to be as happy and as confident of the future of Bending Willows as I am."

"Do you think there is a place for Scotty in this plan?" she asked.

"There very well could be. Why don't we go out there and talk to him. Let's see how he feels about it."

Catherine agreed and we drove over to the old course, arriving just before eleven. There were only three cars in the parking lot when we arrived.

"Doesn't look like there'd be much of a wait to tee off," I joked.

Catherine just shook her head. She didn't see anything humorous in the situation at all. I think she was more concerned with her friend. I would keep that in mind when we talked.

When we found him, Scotty was dusting the pro shop inventory, such as it was. A few dozen golf balls, a handful of gloves, some used clubs and a couple of pairs of odd-sized shoes. Other than that the shelves were barren.

"Hi, Scotty," Catherine said as we entered the shop.

"Hello, Catherine. How are ye today, Lass?" he said in his thick brogue. "I see ye still have the Irish lad in tow."

"I'm fine, Scotty. I don't know if you heard but I won the Open yesterday," she said proudly.

"Aye, Lass, I heard. Congratulations. I suppose that means ye will be back on the tour soon." He didn't say it as if he was happy about that possibility.

"I don't think so," she said. "I have a new job ... executive assistant to the president of Bending Willows Golf Club. So I won't be able to just drop my duties and take off on tour."

The look on Scotty's face was priceless. He couldn't believe what he was hearing, especially not from Catherine.

"Is it true, Lad?" he asked, turning to me.

"It will be in a few hours. That's why we're here. We'd like to talk to you about the future of the course and where you might fit in with our new company. Can you spare some time for us?"

"Look about ye, Lad. Does it look like I'm buried in tasks?"

I nodded with a smile. For the next hour, I detailed some of my thinking and some of the questions I had about what made the most sense. It was there that Walter Ferguson showed his true worth. He knew the business and he knew what worked and what didn't and explained why. It wasn't just opinion, it was years of experience in both Scotland and here.

By the time our discussion had wound down, I knew he was ideal for our company. I wasn't sure what role he should play but I wanted that know-how and knew that it was worth quite a bit. If Scotty knew the business, he also knew where to find things and people who could do some of the tasks that needed to be done. But it was Catherine who came up with another gem as the conversation progressed.

We had been talking about golf course architecture and we were wondering where we could find someone who wasn't trying to create a super-course and could work with the landscape we had. When we went over the basic layout, it was good for the most part. There were no quirky holes or strange transitions between holes, save between the ninth green and tenth tee. Apparently there had been a large clubhouse at that location, but it was knocked down and never replaced. When we looked at the size of the area, a minor rearrangement of the existing holes would make a much better transition and would also lengthen a couple of short par fours.

All the while Catherine was making notes, although I hadn't asked her to. I have a good memory and didn't think I would miss anything but she was already getting involved. When the issue of an architect came up, she had a suggestion.

"I met a young guy who had studied landscape architecture at Portland State. He was a bit of a golf nut and wanted to get into course design. He had his résumé out, but all the known architects had shown no interest. I wonder if he wouldn't be a good place to start. We can give him some guidance, let him know what we're trying to do and see what he can come up with. I'm sure he'd be a lot less costly than the big firms."

"That's a hell of an idea, Catherine," I said. "Do you know how to get in touch with him?"

"No ... but I can probably find him through the college. I can look after that if you want."

"Great. As soon as we sign up with Norman you can contact him. He's certainly worth a try."

"These are grand plans, Laddie," Scotty said with narrowed eyes. "It's nay too far for ye now, is it?"

"No, Scotty. I've got access to all the funds I'll need, I'm sure. It's really a matter of spending wisely and getting the best result for our efforts."

He nodded his agreement. "Wise words, Lad. I'll be happy to gie ye my hand. There's nay more I'd like than seeing this place alive agin."

"I'm counting on that Scotty. As soon as the deed is transferred, I'll be hiring you as permanent consultant and operating officer ... that is if you're willing."

"Aye ... that's a grand fancy title for an auld man, but I'd be pleased to be aboard," he said with a smile.

As we drove toward the city I asked Catherine, "So where should we go to await Mr. Fears' phone call. We could have lunch at someplace fairly quiet or pick up some deli items and find a park with a bench. What suits you?"

"I like the deli idea. It's a nice day and I know where we can find both a deli counter and a lovely little park. I'll show you the way."

Her directions were simple and ten minutes later we were in a modern medium-sized grocery store that had the biggest wine selection I had seen in a long time. On top of that the deli was just as complete. It was hard not to overindulge with all the great looking items. We finally settled for some German coleslaw, a couple of fresh baked buns, a small variety pack of cheeses with another small variety tray of sausage meats. Along with some ice tea, we had our lunch material, and headed for the park Catherine had chosen.

We talked as we ate, enjoying the warm sunshine and the quiet of the park.

"Sorry we had to leave Scotty behind but someone needed to look after the place. Does he live there?"

"Yes. That small trailer you can see off to the side of the pro shop is his home for now. He's got a power, water and septic hookup. That's where the old clubhouse was located."

"How long has he been there?" I asked.

"At least two years. His wife died several years ago. Cancer, I think. Anyway, he left his job in Dundee and came over here to live with his son. Then his son was transferred to Asia and Scotty was left alone again. He had his card so he's legal, but he needs a sponsor for his citizenship application. I've volunteered, but a good job and a special title might help pave the way," she smiled.

"Well, he's a hell of a resource for us. I know some people who specialize in immigration law and I can contact them and see what we can do. As long as he's here legally we should be all right. In the meantime, he needs a better place to live, not to mention a better place to work. Is that old pickup truck I saw his?"

She nodded.

"Well, there's another thing. We'll probably lease a new truck and get the course name on the side of it. As long as he takes care of it, it's his to use. It will make the name a little more prominent."

"What should we do about his living quarters?" she asked.

I was about to answer when my phone rang. I looked at the name and was a bit surprised.

"Is that Norman?" she asked.

"No ... it's John Fortrand. I better take this. Good afternoon, Mr. Fortrand. How are you today?"

"Fine, Mr. Monahan, but please, I think we know each other well enough for first names. Please call me John."

"Very well, John, and it's Terry. What can I do for you?"

"Well, I think it's already done, Terry. Mr. Norman Fells will be accepting your offer ... albeit reluctantly. I've made it plain to him that since it's the only offer he's seen in many months that if he turns it down I will be forced to foreclose and then he'll suffer even more. I believe he's seen the light and will be calling you shortly ... or as soon as he can gather his wits about him."

I laughed. "You've no doubt noticed that my offer is exactly what the appraised value of the property is as potential farm land. I have a certified check made out to him for exactly that amount. I would hope that you don't have any difficulty in receiving that amount promptly from Mr. Fears. Perhaps I should send you a copy of the check via e-mail so that there is no chance of any hanky-panky on his part."

"I hope it isn't necessary but I do appreciate the gesture, Terry. You've been very helpful in the whole process and I'm grateful. I'll look forward to doing more business with you."

"I should be in to set up our accounts this week, John. I'm sure Bending Willows will be well looked after."

We signed off and I no sooner put the phone in my pocket than it rang again. I looked at Catherine and grinned.

"I believe this will be Mr. Fears," I said, taking the phone out of my pocket once more and opening it.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Fears. I trust you've come to a decision?"

"Yes," he said in a defeated voice. "I'm reluctantly going to accept your offer, Mr. Monahan. I think it's highway robbery but my partners have outvoted me. I agree to sell the property for your stated proposal."

"Excellent. I'll have a certified check for the full amount in your hands this afternoon. I assume you can sign over the title to me at that time?"

"Yes, I have the authority to do that." His voice lacked any enthusiasm whatsoever.

"Very well, we should meet at the bank," I said in a spur-of-the-moment decision. "I will have a suitable witness to verify the transaction. Shall we say four o'clock."

"Four o'clock, then. I'll be there. Good afternoon," he said, hanging up.

"It's all over but the formalities, Cat. By this time tomorrow we'll have the business registered and you will formally become our first employee."

She had a big smile on her face. Her doubts seemed to be gone and her eyes were bright with anticipation.

"Now, since you aren't yet an employee and we aren't related, you can act as witness when we sign the agreement of sale. We have plenty of time to get to the bank by four so we don't have to hurry. I'd like to enjoy my last day of unemployment as much as possible before I throw myself into this project."

"Did you have to borrow for the purchase?" she asked.

"No, I had cash on hand. The borrowing will come when we start doing the big stuff. In the meantime, let's forget about this for a while. It's all I've been thinking about for the last week so I should follow my own advice and take a break, even if it's only for a few hours."

"It's exciting, Terry. I'd like to call Scotty if it's okay with you."

"Sure. I hope he's as up for it as you are. He's going to be busy too."

"I think you're going to make him young again with this news," she smiled as she dialed the familiar number.

We spent the rest of the afternoon walking in the park and killing time until we were due at the bank. I wasn't really able to put the purchase and my plans out of my mind but I didn't verbalize them with Catherine. Somehow, I was going to have to learn to find time where business wasn't my only reason for being. I had to make that change no matter how fascinating this project was. I had vowed not to repeat my mistakes and I planned to keep that vow this time.

We entered the bank just before four o'clock and asked for John Fortrand. He came out quickly and extended his hand to both of us in greeting.

"Congratulations, Terry. I hope this turns out as well as you expect. It will be a big improvement over the situation as it is now. It was a shame to see the course deteriorate like that. My wife and I used to enjoy playing there but we haven't even bothered in the past three years."

"Ah hah, another golfer. Well, when we're done, I'm sure you'll be happy with what we create. Your family will be our guest for the first month, hoping that the experience will permit you to speak well of our efforts. Word of mouth, kind words of course, are very important to the new Bending Willows."

"That's very generous. Thank you. In the meantime, if I can be of any other service, let me know."

"Actually, I wanted to open a couple of accounts here, John. A personal account and a business account. I'll have quite a large amount to transfer into both so if you can assist in setting those up I'd be grateful. Once that's established, I'd like to discuss a line of credit as well. Can you direct me to the right people?"

"You're talking to him," he smiled. "This is a small bank and I do want our new accounts well taken care of. Just bring your requests to me and I'll handle them."

"Wonderful. One stop shopping. Very convenient. I should be in on Wednesday but I'll phone for an appointment."

Norman Fears arrived then, looking ten years older than this morning if that was possible. It took less than ten minutes for the transaction to be done, signed and witnessed and he was gone back to wherever he came from. My check never stayed in his possession. He simply countersigned it over to the bank and his role was complete.

When we walked back to the car I didn't have the sense of elation that I expected. I had won my game of brinkmanship and got the property for the lowest possible price. Norman Fears had been called at his own game and his dreams of development and even escaping with some pride and money were snuffed. He was a sad figure as he left the office, having spoken no more than a couple of words the whole time. I wondered what would become of him.

"You're very quiet considering you've got what you wanted, Terry," Catherine observed.

"Yeah ... I guess some of my values are changing. I loved playing the game with Norman but, in the end he was left with nothing. It's not that he deserved to be rewarded for his actions but just the same, we all have to live. I have no idea if he has a wife and family and if he does, what does he tell them. I'm sure he thinks I'm the lowest of the low but he chose the game and he just wasn't up to the competition."

"I was there, Terry. You didn't do anything wrong or underhanded. You figured him out and saw he was trying to trick you. You just stopped that from happening. Nothing to be ashamed of in my opinion."

"Thanks, Catherine. I guess I'm starting to think about things a little differently. It's a bit late for Norman but I'll try not to be too hard on people when they attempt to make the best deal they can."

"Let's find a place and have a drink to celebrate the rebirth of Bending Willows," she said brightly.

"Good idea. You know the territory so lead the way."

We ended up in a nice lounge attached to what appeared to be a good restaurant. We had one drink and then asked the bartender if we could see a menu. Catherine and I scanned the list and agreed it looked quite good and we decided to have dinner here.

"It's my turn to buy, Terry. I've got that big pile of prize money and a hot new job. That's cause for celebration too."

"You talked me into it. Let's go," I said as we left the lounge and headed for the restaurant side.

We had a leisurely meal in uncrowded surroundings, talking about a number of things, most of which were not related to Bending Willows.

"You surprised me, Catherine. You said something I didn't expect."

"Oh ... what was that?"

"You told Scotty that you had no intention of going back on tour. I didn't know you'd made up your mind."

"I guess I didn't know either until Scotty suggested it and I knew right away that I wouldn't go back. I remember you telling me that you knew when you'd had enough at your job and it was time to go. I realized that I had taken my turn on the pro tour and it was time to go. These local tournaments are more than enough for me. Far less frequent and much less stressful. My income and my sponsors aren't dependent on my results."

"That's very mature. From a selfish point of view, I'm pleased with your decision. It means I'll have you around to work with at the club. But ... I do like the idea of you entering the odd tournament locally, especially if you are representing our club. It would also give me an opportunity to get away for a few days and caddy for you. I really enjoyed that experience. That is ... if you would want me to," I tested.

"I wouldn't have anyone else. And I like the idea of the odd regional tournament ... say ... no more than a day's drive from Portland. Seattle, Klamath Falls, Coeur d'Alene, that sort of thing. I think that would be fun."

coaster2
coaster2
2,590 Followers