Coming of Age Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Rayven paused as she remembered that first week, "the first week was brutal, three killed themselves, another two were put down, we were put through hell, physically and mentally broken. Then his generals rebuilt us, starting from scratch. I was taught how to use every aspect of my Vampire abilities. Out of the group I was the only one without dark skin, and with pale skin and black hair it singled me out."

"I don't understand," Jasmine said.

"Getting there," Rayven said, "part of the training involved... I guess the easiest way to explain it would be to call what we did Parkour, free running, learning to move through every landscape with ease and more importantly without making a sound or leaving a trace. One of the Elders watched as I seemed to glide from roof top to roof top, when he caught up he said, You're a Raven, or at least you glide like one. He told me. It became the nickname the others called me. As I was coming out of my first century there were nine of us left and by then we all had nicknames. At our hundred year mark we were lined up in front Tamor and one by one we were told to step forward and introduce ourselves, a first and last name. I was the last called forward and the only woman in my group. I had thought about it long and hard, I liked Rayven but what would be my last name. I chose Swift Strike because that was what I was, I was fast and always won my battles."

"But you spell your name funny," Sky replied.

Rayven nodded with a slight blush, "yeah... I didn't learn to read or write until six hundred years later when writing became an essential skill required to be a Death Walker and the first time I wrote down my first name I sounded it out and came up with Ray-ven. I was told it was incorrect, I replied it was my name I would spell it however I wanted and my name has been spelt that way ever since."

Crystal chuckled, "let me guess, the one who told you that was younger than you?"

Rayven nodded, "by almost four hundred years. It was about a year later that I started to work for Destiny."

"What did you do for her?" Nhor asked before he started to munch through a large bowl of rolled oats. He was surprised at the very candid way Rayven explained her life to her friends, showing them and him a very different world to the one he knew.

"I was her... agent... I did whatever she needed of me, most of the time I just acted as a body guard. She sent me out a couple of times to look for Vlha, and sometimes to take care of Rogues." Rayven explained but paused as Bastion took her plate and started to put a little bit of everything on it.

"You may be able to survive on blood but your body will crave food." He told her as he put the plate back down before her. "Eat."

"You didn't answer my question," Crystal said firmly as she watched Thais.

"Why St Claire, come on... it's because you are the source of whatever you are." Thais answered.

"That's stupid, I only took the St Claire name to keep reminding Judas of what he did because that was the name he chose to be known as." Crystal explained. "I mean for fucks sake after everything he did, after he murdered my mother in a fit of rage he had the balls to call himself a saint... what a load of crock."

Thais shrugged. "Be that as it may that is what you will be unofficially known as."

Crystal rolled her eyes and focused on the food before her, there simply wasn't any reason to argue unless she chose to change her last name. However she liked her full name even if shared a common part with Judas, she was however pissed that Judas would, indirectly, still get credit for her and her sisters. Amy had suggested Daughter back when Destiny and her relationship was still in its early stages, but she hadn't like it, Serenity had suggested sister and she had liked it more than daughter. Everyone finally settled down to eat the feast Bastion and Temperance had prepared. Rayven played with her food for several moments, unsure if she was ready to take the step back into a more normal life.

"It's not going to attack you," Sky teased.

"I haven't eaten in over two thousand years, I have to wrap my mind around this." Rayven argued.

"No you are meant to wrap your teeth around it... that is the purpose of eating." Jasmine added with a teasing grin.

"I know what the purpose of eating is," Rayven snapped which caused others to chuckle.

"Then eat." Everyone chorused back at her.

"Fine," Rayven said as she took a slice of steak, popped it into her mouth and chewed. She closed her eyes and groaned as the flavours exploded on her tongue, it was almost better than blood.

Crystal grinned, "good isn't it?"

Rayven nodded as she tried something different on her plate. Every bite was a revelation, she reached for her coffee and took a mouthful, by the gods she thought coffee was good before, she was wrong, it was more than good it was great!

Rayven swallowed the food she had in her mouth and pointed her knife at Thais, "I am still not changing my name." She told him before digging into something new.

Thais chuckled, "you don't have to. You'll still be known as a St Claire..."

"Again I think that is stupid..." Crystal said firmly.

"Well that will teach you for asking a question about the future." Thais replied, the room lapsed back into silence as everyone ate.

"Sky, today I would like to touch up your tattoo." Nhor suddenly said as he realised that her body had healed enough for him to go over the lighter places.

"Okay." Sky answered before she bit into a bit of crispy bacon.

Rachel frowned a little as a new very random thought occurred to her, over the last few weeks she had seen almost everyone in the house fight or wrestle, the exceptions being Nhor who obviously couldn't fight the way the others did and Bastion, who had always been busy doing something else when the others trained. She turned to Bastion, "why haven't we seen you fight, we've seen everyone else?"

"I have thousands of years of practice; it isn't something you are likely to forget." Bastion replied.

Rachel's frown deepened, that made no sense to her, Crystal was older than Bastion but she still practised religiously. Myth was old, she didn't know how old though, and she was just as dedicated to her craft. "That doesn't make sense, Crystal practises daily as does Myth and Rayven."

Bastion watched her for a moment before he grinned, "ah... I get it now... you want to see me without my shirt on... why didn't you just ask?" he asked playfully but it caused his mate to growl in a threatening tone.

Rachel's eyes went wide as the others chuckled, "that's not... I didn't say that... Temp I don't have eyes for your man."

"Bad move," Thais said gently.

"Why... he is handsome isn't he?" Temperance snapped.

Rachel's eyes went wide and she suddenly didn't know what to do or say to not make this worse. Suddenly however the room was full of laughter as Serenity and Temperance cracked up laughing. Thais soon joined them as did Han and Crystal who were used to the way Temperance sometimes teased people. It took Rachel a moment before she realised Temperance was pulling her leg.

"You're a bitch Temperance." She stated as she relaxed.

"Come on I thought that was funny," Temperance replied when she finally stopped laughing. She turned to her mate, "Wanna go beat each other up?" She asked in both a playful yet completely serious way which she had somehow mastered before she reached her teen years.

"NO!" Thais said loudly, his eyes wide with horror, "no hanky-panky in the gym, or kitchen, or dining room, or any other communal area of the house." He said firmly and quickly shook his head to get rid of that image.

Crystal chuckled before she went serious; now that Rachel had mentioned it, in all her years at the manor and being a member of the central pack she had never seen Bastion in a battle ring, not even on fight day after thanksgiving. "She's right, I've never seen you fight."

Bastion sighed as he rolled his eyes, "I long ago got over the need to show my battle skills, but if you must test me... let's go." He said seriously as he stood.

Crystal tilted her head to the side, "You versus me?"

Bastion arched an eyebrow up, "here I thought college students were meant to be smart."

Crystal stood, "I was only questioning it because you've seen me fight and those who challenge me."

"You don't think I know, I've been studying you, I know what is in store. But you need to realise that I have lived in the central pack for over a thousand years, I've had a chance to learn from the very best our pack has to offer." Bastion explained. "Now... let's fight."

Thais picked up his plate and almost ran to the gym, he wasn't the only one. Rayven hesitated at the door frame, she glanced at some of the others as they ran into the gym to get out of the cold. She sensed someone behind her the moment before Serenity shoved her out the door. Stumbling a little it took her a moment to right herself and several more before she realised that her skin wasn't blistering, that it was still as perfect as ever.

"See, now come on." Serenity prompted and together they went to the gym.

Nhor was the last into the gym and like the others stood around the wrestling mats. Both combatants went to start stretching but little curtained boxes appeared around them.

"You don't want to fight in your normal clothes," Thais said reasonably and waited for them to change before removing the curtains. Bastion wore only a pair of cut off sweats showing off his build. Temperance purred as her eyes roamed over his body. Like most male immortals he was all firmly packed muscles, his build wasn't as big as Wolfgang's but it was still quite impressive.

Rachel had to give herself a little shake to make herself drag her eyes from Bastion's body, to keep Temperance from tearing her head off for looking at her mate that way.

Crystal was also in a pair of cut off sweats and a sports bra, her mating wounds were still fresh on her skin and Bastion winced when he saw them. "You let her bite you in Sabre form?" He questioned.

"No... hybrid, and... she just did it." Crystal replied as she tested her range. She was actually surprised that she had pretty much regained complete movement, mind you Serenity was in complete control when she bit her and didn't shake or move her head while her teeth were in Crystal's flesh.

Bastion considered her for a moment, "will fighting aggravate it and do more harm."

"The internal wounds are healed, the surface wounds haven't. I should be fine." Crystal explained.

He nodded accepting that she knew what was best when it came to her body.

Myth stood between the two combatants and glanced between them. "Let's not get blood all over the place, fight to yield." She said effectively listing the rules of the battle.

Crystal and Bastion both nodded and started to circle slowly, Crystal was in more of a crouch while Bastion stood straight but was no less ready to attack. There was no signal but suddenly Bastion and Crystal were grappling, trying to get the other into a hold that would force a yield.

Crystal kicked his legs out from under him and threw him over her body and onto the matts, as she went to follow up her advantage, Bastion shifted and his foot connected with her stomach.

Serenity growled a low warning, and only just managed to control herself from going in and beating Bastion to a pulp. Crystal grunted as she corrected herself and kept her feet, grabbing his foot before he had a chance to pull it away, she slammed her elbow into his thigh.

It was Temperance's turn to growl.

Bastion hopped a little to get away and let his hurt thigh to heal, both fighters turned to their mate, "Stop growling we aren't going to kill each other." They said in tandem before both moved back into their fighting stances. Bastion attacked first this time with a wild left hook, as Crystal started to move to avoid it Bastion came in with a right upper cut, that she just managed to avoid both blows.

"Nice," Crystal complemented.

Bastion grinned, "just getting warmed up."

"This should be interesting," Myth said.

Crystal and Bastion started their deadly dance, each landing their fair share of blows and performing some amazing blocks and avoidance moves. Crystal had decided at the beginning not to use her preternatural speed so winning would come down to skill. After trading a dozen blows Crystal started to understand Bastion's style, he was primarily a boxer/wrestler and knew only a little of mixed martial arts. She started to use that against him, using moves that his style couldn't easily counter. Finally she got him; it was while using a leg choke hold, which had forced him to the mats and once she had him on there she held him firmly.

Bastion tried to shake her off and even tried to peel her legs from his neck. Lightening quick she trapped the arm closest to her, twisted the wrist and pulled it to the point of pain.

"Ah... yield!" Bastion called out and was suddenly released.

Crystal got up and helped Bastion to his feet. He shook his arm once he was on his feet and grinned as Temperance raced up to him and threw Crystal a dirty look before she wrapped her arms around her mate. Crystal grinned as she watched Serenity who just made a come here gesture.

Hey, shouldn't you be checking to make sure I'm not injured?Crystal complained as she walked to her mate.

Serenity grinned when Crystal finally reached her.No need, I knew he wouldn't get close to hurting you. You are after all a Next Alpha female. He is just a Beta.She wrapped her arms around her mate and gently kissed her neck. Crystal groaned.

"Oi! No hanky panky in the gym," Thais told both pairs firmly.

Crystal turned around in Serenity's arms, "you had some good combos but you really need to update your style and learn some mixed martial arts."

Bastion sighed, "I was just getting told that by my miss-know-it-all mate."

"Be here tomorrow before breakfast and I'll start teaching you." Crystal said before Temperance tugged her mate out of the room.

"You are going to pay for that comment," Thais called out at Bastion's back.

Serenity and Crystal chuckled as did the others, quickly they all went back to the main house.

*

Sky hopped onto the tattooing chair shortly after the fight had ended, she slid out of her shirt and bra and rested on her side. Nhor watched her but it didn't make her uncomfortable, she had gotten over that ages ago. This wasn't sexual for him, this was all about the art. He finished setting up his equipment.

"Wake me if I drift off again," She told him.

He chuckled, Sky had started drifting off to sleep in the last few sessions which was surprising to him, her tolerance for the pain was way up to the point where she barely felt it. "Of course."

"So," Sky said as she lifted her arm, "Serenity and Crystal, I remember when I first met them I thought they were a couple and now they are."

Nhor chuckled, "Were are funny like that..." the buzz of the tattoo machine became a gentle back ground noise, she barely felt it as it started to carve a path into her skin.

Sky frowned as a new thought occurred to her, "You loved her... didn't you?" she asked and although she hadn't said who, she was he knew exactly who she meant.

Nhor paused for a moment, "yes... I loved her..." he admitted as he started tattooing again.

"Why didn't you mate her? Or is that not allowed?" Sky asked.

"She agreed to be mine... two days later you were in her life and she knew we couldn't carry out our plans until you were comfortable with non-humans and me." He took a deep breath, he had known this conversation would come, eventually. "Well, you know the rest." He pulled the tattoo machine away from her skin and turned it off.

Sky sat up and turned to him, "I'm sorry..."

"No..." He interrupted touching a finger to her lips. "We chose to do what was best for you, you barely coped just knowing I was a friend of your Aunt's, how would you have coped if you had walked in to us being an item. I don't regret what we did. I regret that we couldn't be a complete family but Centaurs and Were share a very important trait, the protection of our young is more important than anything else, even more important than the happiness of the parents."

He paused for a moment, "Have you ever looked at your legal guardianship papers, when you were signed over to your Aunt."

She shook her head, she hadn't want to look at anything the state had to offer her at the time, she had been so afraid of everything around her. Of the people she didn't know, how scary it all was and how no one understood.

He walked over to a drawer and opened it, he pulled out a piece of paper and offered it to her. Sky read it for a moment then had to re-read.

"Your aunt didn't leave a will, she didn't need to, she made sure of that."

Both Nhor and her aunt were listed as her joint legal guardians on the piece of paper Nhor had offered her.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Sky asked.

"It didn't seem important. It was more important that you be happy, than for you to know the truth." He told her. "Sky... I would like to make that formal, to adopt you and make you my daughter."

Sky watched him for several moments, "What does it take... to adopt someone?"

"In Centaur terms... not much... I'll give you your version of my family coat of arms, my blood will be mixed in the ink and then I will take your blood and re-ink my own coat of arms." He explained.

"A centaur isn't an adult until they turn a hundred, that is unlikely for me..." Sky stated as she had taken the time to read A guide to Centaur culture but there were some things that simply weren't in that book.

"The original Thais, the one adopted by Centaurs back in Atlantis, the one your friends know of... he was almost a thousand years old before he died, you will gain a Centaurs life span," Nhor explained.

Sky blinked in shock, "a thousand... wait how old are you?"

"Seven hundred and ninety eight," Nhor answered and grinned at Sky's stunned face, "your aunt had the same look on her you do now when she found out. Centaurs live until they are killed. We are false immortals. Not true immortals like the triplets, Crystal, Rayven and Myth."

"You don't have to make up your mind now, think about it... now let us finish your tattoo." He said firmly.

Sky nodded and settled back, "yeah... finish the tattoo you've started and then we can get onto this adoption tattoo."

Nhor grinned, "yes... always finish the job you start before starting another." The buzzing of the machine began again.

****

Serenity nodded her head as she played her key board several days later, she was working on a new composition and was currently trying to get it note perfect, before she put it on paper and showed it to her siblings so that they could weave their own instruments into the music. For a very long time she had hated the key board with a vengeance, it simply wasn't a precision instrument to her mind, now however she could see the value of it, she could work without waking her mate or disturbing others in the house. Head phones covered her ears so she didn't hear Crystal enter and she was so focused that she didn't even sense that her mate was near.

Crystal watched her mate for long moments as she played her own music, she had been to concerts and had heard her play though out parts of the manor when she got going on the grand piano, loving every note. Coming up behind her mate she wrapped her arms around Serenity who jumped a little in shock. Quickly she tugged her headphones off and glanced back to look at Crystal.

"Get dressed, I have a surprise." Crystal told her.

Serenity stood and glanced at her clothes, faded jeans and a black shirt with the slogan 'I'm complicated what are you?' "I am dressed?"