Consequences, Sandy Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Scorpio44a
Scorpio44a
2,163 Followers

They thanked me, kissed me, unbuttoned a couple of shirt buttons and left my office. I called Bill to the office and we talked. He had been at a loss when Sarah came on to him. He told her that until he felt more comfortable driving he was riding with us everywhere he needed to go. He said that if the invitation included John then both of them could come for dinner some evening. Sarah said she would call him and set a date to have both men for dinner.

I talked to him about the concerns Karen and Sandy expressed. I could tell he had some new feelings about Karen and Sandy caring so much about him. John called into the office and asked if Bill could come back and help him. He went immediately.

I went to Karen and said, "I just learned something about Bill. He thinks that we're loving him because he got hurt. He doesn't think you love him, that any of us love him. We're nice to him, take him to bed and treat him the way we do, all because he got hurt."

"He's wrong! I wouldn't do what I do if it was just out of feeling sorry for him! Oh wait! He doesn't know that. Bill has very limited experience with women. How do we get him to see that we already loved him before he cut his hand off?" Karen asked.

It was quiet for almost a minute and I said, "Talk it over with your sisters. I know you can solve this." I went back to my office.

Later in the day Jenn came into my office and said, "Would you like a report?"

"Sure. I live to hear reports." I was only slightly sarcastic. She missed it or ignored it.

"I did some research and found everything I wanted for the kitchens. I went crazy and attended an on-line auction and bought two stoves, two refrigerators, two dishwashers and a set of restaurant quality pots, pans and utensils. Carl says he can do all the installations as soon as the equipment arrives."

"Ok. Is what you bought what you really wanted?"

She nodded and smiled, "Yes!

I looked up at her and forced my mouth and face to be neutral, "So, how much did we spend?"

"With tax and delivery from Lincoln we spent five thousand three hundred forty eight dollars and change!" She showed me the paperwork.

"A restaurant went belly up and we bought it?"

She nodded and said, "All the equipment is less than two years old! We got it all for twenty-two percent of retail!"

"Honey, I am amazed! We could open two restaurants. How much of the five thousand is for delivery?"

"Almost a thousand dollars. It's almost three hundred fifty miles."

"We need to go to Lincoln for Martha's trial. We can take our stake bed truck and save a chunk of the thousand by delivering it ourselves. Jenn, you did great! Thanks for handling it."

I got a kiss that intimately involved almost all of my body from the knees up and Jenn walked out of my office smiling. Martha came in and sat down, looking like she wanted to cry.

"What did you find out?" I asked.

"At the trial, they call it a hearing, we each can call a maximum of four witnesses. If we have physical proof it must be submitted three days before the trial. After the trial the church leaders have six months to render a verdict. During those six months I must attend church every Sunday and not participate in any church activities. If they have a bake sale I can't bake anything or buy anything. If they have a Fourth of July picnic I can't go."

"Ok. Is there an appeals process?"

"You mean if they decide to call me an adulteress can I appeal to someone above them?"

"Yes."

She shook her head and said, "I can ask God, but the church court has no appeals process."

I sat with the information for a minute and said, "Ok. Jenn is getting things set up so while we're in Lincoln we can pick up our new kitchen appliances. You get three witnesses plus your Dad so that's four of us, counting you. Who do you want to go with you?"

"The only one in the family officially in the church, besides me, is Jennifer. She should go. My Dad volunteered to go, too. I'd like you to be there and Sandy."

"Ok. I don't see a problem with that, but you need to talk to them. I'm willing to go and testify."

"I don't want to go and I certainly don't want to testify!" Martha said.

"You have other choices. You could write them a letter and tell them you haven't done anything wrong and therefore don't need to testify. You could write and say, "Do what you will, God and I know I didn't do anything that fits within the definition of adultery." You could simply divorce your husband in regular court and ignore the summons. You could sue your husband for defamation of character. Or slander. We'd need to check with a lawyer to see which applies."

She sat in silence for at least a minute. She stood, came to me and gave me a kiss on my cheek and then left my office. We weren't in a great rush for her decision. She needed to talk the situation over with Jennifer and the rest of the family, including her Dad.

The table talk at dinner was intense and it was about the "hearing". At one point Bill said, "None of this would have ever been an issue if I hadn't gotten hurt."

Everything at the table stopped. All of us looked at Bill and the room was quiet for a moment. Karen got out of her chair and went to Bill, got him to back his chair away from the table and sat in his lap.

She kissed his mouth and when she ended the kiss she said, "Bill, I have loved you since we were in school. You were so constant, so loving that I loved you and didn't even know I loved you. I had ideas about how being in love was supposed to be. Disney movies and romance novels had me thinking about Prince Charming and pirates and not about steady, reliable men who would focus on making life wonderful for me."

Bill opened his mouth to speak. Karen touched her finger to his lips and he closed his mouth.

"We had talked about inviting you both into the family. We had that meeting the night before you were hurt. When we saw you hurt all of us realized stronger than ever how important you are to us. You aren't an employee of the BC. You aren't someone we work with, you are someone we love!"

I spoke, "You getting hurt was like an electric shock to all of us, telling us we could not keep pretending to be normal. I think we would have gotten right here without you getting hurt. You and John would have been offered into the family. Jenn and Martha would have come face-to-face with their lives and their decisions and would have joined with us in love. In the next few months other people will see what we have and will want it, whatever it is. And, in the next few months other people will see what we have and want to attack us. You getting hurt was not and is not the catalyst for what's happening."

Sandy said, "It's Pete's fault. He started this. He loved all of us. He loved people all over. After he passed some of them came here looking for their monthly infusion of his love."

Bill said, "You're sure? I feel bad that Martha has to go to Lincoln and defend herself for loving us."

Martha said, "Bill, I'm not defending myself for loving all of you! I've been accused of adultery! I'm going because the charges are false. I've only had sex with one man in my life. One! And he's the one accusing me of adultery. I'm going to the trial and I'm going to tell the truth. God already knows I'm not guilty. I'm going to ask that the church court not only agree that I'm not guilty, but that they grant me a divorce so I am free to love all of you."

I thought about how powerful Martha was and how proud I would be to sit with her in the church court.

The doorbell rang. It surprised all of us. First because it was unexpected and second because we couldn't remember hearing it before. I went to the door and two men in dark suits stood on the porch. I didn't know either of them.

I opened the door and said, "Good evening, gentlemen."

"Does Mrs. Jennifer Parker live here?" The older of the two men asked.

"I don't know either of you. Around here people introduce themselves before anything else."

The older man said, "I'm sorry. I forgot my manners. I'm Michael Parker and this is Mark Thomas. We're from Casper, Wyoming and I'm related to Mrs. Parker."

"Have a seat there on the porch, gentlemen. I'll see if Mrs. Parker is here at the moment."

I went back inside and Jennifer whispered to me, "That's my brother-in-law. I have no idea who the other man is."

"Do you want... no. Are you willing to talk to them?" I asked.

"Sure, but not alone."

"Then all of you sit in the living room and leave open seats for them, but not together. I'll bring them into the living room."

I went back out and said, "Mrs. Parker is still here. She was having dinner with us. Come on in and you can speak to her in our living room." They both got up and followed me inside.

As they entered the living room Sandy said, "Welcome to our home. Have a seat."

Michael Parker said, "We just need to talk to Mrs. Parker, not everyone."

Sandy said, "Please, have a seat. We have a policy in this home, no secrets. If you can't say it in front of all of us, you probably shouldn't say it at all."

He moved his hands in a motion that seemed to convey surrender and he sat down. The other man sat between Donna and Bill. Mr. Parker faced Jennifer and said, "Your husband has spoken to me often about the problem the two of you are having..."

"What problem?" Jennifer interrupted him to ask.

"You left him and have taken up with immoral people." Mr. Parker looked around the room as he spoke.

"Last time I saw my husband was here in this house. I had carried plates into the kitchen after we had shared dinner here and when I came back into the dining room he was gone. The last time we spoke on the phone he called me a whore and said I was not welcome in his home. I didn't leave him!"

"You took all your personal belongings from his home and have not even attempted to call him."

"Why would I? His exact words were, "You are not welcome in my home or anywhere I am, you whore! You're only supposed to love me and only me." If your wife Carolyn said those words to you wouldn't you think that was the end of your relationship?"

"My wife isn't part of this discussion. He told me that you wanted to have sex with other people. He says this is all about you wanting more sex."

Jennifer said, "He heard what he wanted to hear. That's not what was said. The dinner conversation was about loving more than one person. Imagine a family where all the children grew up with four mommas and four daddies. The kids would get lots of attention, lots of help with their homework, people to attend the school events and care for them when they were sick. When Momma Karen had a new baby she would have the support and assistance of Momma Sandy, Momma Janice, Momma Donna and three husbands. I agreed that that would be better than when my third child was born and Albert went off to work the next day, leaving me home to take care of two young children, a baby and my own healing. I agreed that the loving support of more than one husband would probably mean that when something needed doing I wouldn't have to nag to get it to happen. He heard all that and made it mean that I wanted to have sex with John, Bill and Nick!"

"The church doesn't agree."

"Then the church is failing it's members. Bill was in the hospital for three weeks. One of the people in this family was with him all the time. Just down the hall from Bill was Michael Cross, a member of Martha's husband's congregation. He got two visits in the six days he was in the hospital. Two visits totaling forty minutes. I'd rather be in this family than that congregation. Albert would rather be in the congregation. Now, why are you here and not Albert?"

"I thought perhaps I could talk some sense into you."

Jennifer smiled and asked, "How's it going, so far?"

"Not so well."

I asked, "Why did you bring Mr. Thomas with you?"

"As a witness."

"A witness in case Jennifer is asked to attend a hearing by the church?" I asked.

"I don't think it will get that far."

"Well, in case it does, please be aware that on the front porch there is a sign posted that states that things happening in this house may be video and audio recorded and that by entering to give up the right to expect anything you say or do to be private." John said.

"I didn't see any sign!" Mr. Thomas said.

"If you run a red light and get to court and tell the judge, "But I didn't see it" does that matter? The sign is there and you were on the porch for three minutes. Plenty of time to have read the sign." John smiled.

"He's still here as a witness." Mr. Parker said.

"Fine." Jennifer said. "Is there anything else you want to say?"

"Are you saying that you haven't had sexual relations with anyone besides Albert?"

"Is the question appropriate? What makes it Ok for you to even ask such a question of any woman?" Jennifer asked.

"I needed to ask."

Bill said, "I'll need your home phone number. I need to ask your wife who else she's had sex with, besides you?"

"You have no reason to ask her that!"

"You have no reason to ask Jennifer that same question. Do you have some evidence that she has been having sexual relations with someone since Albert abandoned her?"

"No."

I stood up and said, "Then I think you and Mr. Thomas are done here. You should drive back to Casper thinking about why you say we are all God's children on Sunday but don't act like family even on Sunday. Oh, and don't talk to your wives about living in a big family like ours. They may get to thinking about how great life could be with all that help and companionship."

Martha added, "And we may have a car or two in our driveway with Wyoming plates on them."

It took about two minutes to get them out the door and into the car they came in. We waved to them from the porch as they drove away. Back inside Jennifer said, "I love being in this family!"

The next day a letter came in the mail for Jennifer Parker. It was her invitation to a hearing in Lincoln. She called their office and said, "If you schedule my hearing the same day as the one for Martha it will save us lots of money and I'm willing to attend."

The voice at the other end of the line said, "These hearings are not scheduled at the convenience of those under review. The date and time of your hearing have been scheduled."

Martha's hearing was scheduled for the fourteenth of the month and Jennifer's was scheduled for the sixteenth.

By dinnertime that night the family had decided we'd be there and stay for both hearings. Jenn made calls and arranged for us to pick up our kitchen equipment on the seventeenth.

The evening of the twelfth we were at the Gingerbread house doing prep before the painting started and a Dodge pick-up pulled into our driveway. I was scraping paint off a windowsill in the living room and watched a man about seventy get out of the truck. He was tall and slender, wore the boots, jeans and long sleeved shirt of a rancher and the look on his face was serious. He headed for our front door.

I called out, "We have a visitor!" Then I went to open the door. I opened it and the man said, "Evening. I apologize for not calling ahead, but I thought I needed to see for myself. I'm Jeremiah Wilkerson, Martha's father."

I opened the screen door and welcomed him into our home. The couch in the living room was covered with a sheet. I pulled it off and offered him a seat. I said, "Martha's upstairs. I'll get her for you."

"How about you and I talk first?" He asked.

I grabbed a hard backed chair and sat about three feet from him. "Ok. Let's talk."

"The stories I'm hearing are confusing to me. James tells anyone who will listen that Martha left him to join a cult! Further, he says it's a sex cult! I've known Martha all her life and that story doesn't fit with who I know her to be. I get here to town and I talk to people here and they say you and your family are great people. I got a haircut a little while ago, figuring the barbershop is the place to hear all the latest gossip. I heard about how one of your employees cut off his hand and all of you have been with him, supporting him, helping him heal. That doesn't sound like a sex cult. I want to know what is going on."

"Ok. I won't spend a minute telling you anything about what caused the rift between Martha and James. The dinner was audio and video taped. I'll set up the TV and DVD player and let you watch and listen. When you've watched, we'll answer any questions you ask."

"That sounds like a good idea."

"Jennifer is making dinner and it should be ready in about an hour. Will you join us?"

"I don't want to put anyone out, but I do need a place to stay tonight. Is there a hotel or motel nearby?"

"You can stay with us. Queen sized bed, lots of towels, hot water and full access to the fridge. Oh, and a great breakfast in the morning."

"Ok, if you're sure it's not too big a bother."

I called out, "Jenn can you come to the living room for a moment, please."

She came out of the kitchen and smiled at our guest and me. "Yes, Nick."

"This is Martha's Dad. Did you make enough food that having him stay for dinner would not be a hardship?"

"Not a hardship at all. When I heard you say we had a visitor I looked out and saw his truck. When it was still here a couple minutes later I expanded dinner to allow for two more men. Janice and John have already moved things into a bedroom here so Mr. Wilkerson can have Janice's room at Pete's."

"Who's Pete?" Jeremiah asked.

"Pete was my Dad. All of us live in his house while we get this house ready for some of us. Pete died last year."

A TV and DVD were set up in what had been the mayor's old home office. I set Martha's Dad up in there and started the DVD. Jenn brought him water and iced tea. I went back to work on the windowsill.

The door to the office opened and Mr. Wilkerson stepped out just as Jenn rang the triangle on the back porch. I would bet the triangle was decorative when the mayor lived in the house but it was an easy way for Jenn to call all of us for dinner.

As he stepped into the dining room he asked Jenn, "Where would you like me to sit?"

Jenn looked at him and said, "If you were my Dad I'd want you next to me. Maybe the person to ask would be Martha." At that moment Martha came through the door and stopped.

She whispered, "Daddy?"

He smiled and asked, "May I sit next to you?" As he asked I knew he was on our side. The video proved to him that Martha was the wonderful, strong woman he could be proud of.

They sat side by side and dinner was passed around the table. As things passed he asked, "Do you say grace?"

"Not like we did when I was young." Martha said. "When I first had a meal here in this family I was surprised at how they said grace. James sometimes took so long to say grace I needed to reheat dinner when he was done. Here the prayer is simple, but oh, so powerful. You turn to the person next to you and say, "Thank you." You don't elaborate. They turn and say "Thank you" to the next person and it goes all around the table. Then we all say "Thank you" at the same time."

"That's it?" He asked.

Sandy said, "When Pete was alive he taught me that prayer. We talked about it. When I say thank you to a customer in the store, I'm saying a prayer of gratitude they are in my life, doing business with us, helping me earn my paycheck, helping me buy the food I'll eat, pay for the roof over my head and a hundred other things. When I look at John and say "Thank you" it's a prayer of gratitude for all those other things and for all the special things that exist in our relationship."

"Simple and powerful. I like it." He looked into Martha's face and said, "Thank you."

Martha turned to Bill and said, "Thank you." When the thank you made it back to Mr. Wilkerson he looked at all of us and I saw his eyes were full. We all said, "Thank you" and picked up our forks.

Scorpio44a
Scorpio44a
2,163 Followers