Conumdrum Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"O.K. Hendy. Whatever it takes." He turned to Gary.

"Any thing more you learn will be vital. Will you keep in touch?"

"Of course, Matt. I will want access to your house. I will put some software on your computer before I bring it back, which will track every key-stroke made, and send it to me. I will get you a GPS tracker for Beth's car, and I will put bugs on her mobile and your home phone. They will record every call made, and what numbers are calling. Pity I can't get one on her phone at work, but I doubt that they will call her there anyway."

Back at his office Matt took the time to settle his thoughts about what he intended to do. He felt guilty for using Beth as a stalking horse. He was sure that if these people called her again, Beth would go. Hendy's assessment of her psyche, coupled with the use of hypnotic suggestions would be too strong for her. He also realised that she could be in danger of further and more extreme physical abuse before he could get to her. His experience of the army had taught him that in any operation there was danger, and that some members of the team would be in extreme danger. Losses would happen, although the plan would try to limit those. But it could happen. It was this experience that allowed him to accept Beth back. He had seen at first hand the way that trained men would lose all semblance of discipline and humanity under the stress of battle. He had personal experience, and had done things that were totally against his nature. The knowledge of what he had done had given him the strength to accept that those; who under exceptional circumstances betray their core beliefs and standards; will punish themselves to a greater extent than anything society can inflict. Beth was not acting of her own free will he was certain, therefore those who had usurped her free will were the enemy.

He went through his files, selecting the man who he thought would offer the expertise he needed for this. Having made his choice he picked up the phone, just as Janet came in.

"Mr. Bennett. You haven't said a word since you came back, and I noticed what file you have. Is there something you should tell me about?" Matt was going to say that what she didn't know wouldn't hurt her, but realised that if he was away from the office for any time, it would be Janet who he needed to play in defence for him. He sighed.

"Janet, I have discovered what Beth is up to, and it isn't good." He proceeded to give her a resume of what was happening. "These people are very bad, they are evil. It is obvious from their activities that Beth is but one of a number of women they have snared. But I can do something about it." Janet had listened carefully.

"Good! You do need to do something. I will not want to know what you do, just hurt them! I will back you up in anyway I can. If you need an alibi, I will remind you I am a secretary, which means I can lie very convincingly." she smiled and left the office.

Matt picked up the phone again and made the a call. The voice that answered was abrupt.

"Yes."

"Chubb, it's Matt. Got some work, are you free?"

"Yes Boss."

"Meet usual place eight tomorrow, O.K.?"

"Got it." The receiver was replaced.

Matt would not have to call others. Chubb was a nickname of course, and he had been SAS. A Sergeant, now retired, he would from time to time do certain work for Matt that required greater skills than the normal ex-army type. They had met on a combined operation. For some time Intelligence had been getting information coming from a source that had to be well into terrorist areas. He suspected that there was an S.A.S. team out there. During that episode Matt had gone out on a limb to help a man who had been injured and get him back to safety. It wasn't until the successful conclusion to the op that Matt met the team that were sending this information. It was Chubb. He also found that the man he had helped was one of Chubb's team. Four years later when Matt had set up his business, he was surprised to get an approach from Chubb, who had also left the army, seeing if there was any work he could do. As it happened Matt had been asked for bodyguards. Initially he had turned the work down, but with Chubb on board he could accept this work. The work was never regular or of long duration, but the fees for it were far larger than looking after a shopping mall or car park. Chubb brought in a few of his ex-comrades. Men like him who could not only look after the client, but themselves as well. Clients were allowed to know that the blokes looking after them had been SAS. That made the client feel more secure as their reputation was world renowned, on a par with U.S. Special Forces and Navy Seals. Very few complained about the high fees with that reputation.

The meeting took place at a Little Chef, on the old A40 going out of London. After the greetings, and with coffee in front of them Matt explained. This was not the abbreviated explanation, but a full in depth briefing. If he was going to ask Chubb to do some dirty work, then the man needed to know exactly why. There was no hesitation.

"Jesus, Matt! That's a real bastard. So we are going to have to go and slap a few arses." Matt shook his head.

"No Sergeant. I am going to do the slapping. I need you and a small team for the tracking and reconnaissance. Nothing more." Chubb was shaking his head.

"Sorry Boss, but you know how it works. The team do the dirty, you stay outside and make sure all the pieces stay in place." The way it was said indicated that there would be no argument. "I'll get in touch with the lads we'll need, they work for you anyway, and we'll organise a planning meet. Do you want it here or somewhere else?" This was an ex-Sergeant telling an ex-Captain how it would be done! Matt accepted that as Chubb was professional to his fingertips.

"Make it the office, I'll get Gary and Hendy there as well. Gary's getting some equipment for me, and Hendy will be able to explain the psychological mentality of the bad guys. Let's do it day after tomorrow. I am sure that Gary can be there, possibly Hendy as well. We will plan for it, but it may not come off. My wife may not go back to them. Hendy thinks she will, but I have my doubts.?" Chubb nodded, then got up to leave.

"It will be almost like the old days, Boss." Matt smiled thinly.

"Almost. But we are operating in home territory. That will make a change." Then he had an afterthought.

"Hang on Chubb. We haven't discussed the money."

"We don't ask money for doing a mate a favour." Chubb replied coldly.

To be continued...

12