Country Roads

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
komrad1156
komrad1156
3,802 Followers

"Are you a cowboy?" Mia asked almost immediately.

Eric laughed then told her he was more of a cow poke than a cow boy.

Her mother laughed politely then explained the difference to her daughter who said, "Oh, okay!"

Jordan started to ask him something when Mia asked if they had horses.

"We do. Did you want to ride one?"

"Can I, Mom?"

"We'll see," her mother said in a way that told Eric she wasn't wild about the idea.

As they arrived at baggage claim, Jordan told Eric he wasn't what she was expecting.

"Oh. May I ask what you were expecting?" he asked with a laugh.

"Someone...older. And less...refined looking?"

Not sure how to take that, Eric asked her to point out their bags as the carousel began moving. But Mia knew which ones to grab and was pointing them out before her mom had a chance to even locate them.

Eric offered to take all of them, but Jordan said, "Thank you, but I should probably get used to taking care of things myself."

Again, her 'chauffeur' didn't say anything, he only let her choose which bags she wanted to carry. It turned out to be just one, and that bag had wheels, so she wasn't exactly carrying anything other than her designer purse with a name on it Eric didn't recognize.

As they walked to the parking lot, he tried to size this woman up. She looked nothing like he'd expected—especially in terms of age and beauty—and she was clearly used to finer things. Not one to judge a book by its cover he decided to table forming an opinion until he had enough information to form one that was based on evidence rather than feelings.

But the one thing his gut told him might be true was the only thing that concerned him. It was still within the realm of possibilities that this extremely attractive, older woman was a spoiled princess. Or maybe even a prima donna. But he was already sure that her daughter wasn't as the girl continued asking questions that told him she was friendly and down to earth.

Once they were in the vehicle, Eric couldn't help but notice the perfectly-manicured, polished nails or the scent of what seemed to be a very expensive perfume.

"All set?" he asked.

"Is it a long way to Nana's?" Mia asked.

"It's a healthy drive," Eric told her. "Do you want to play something on my phone?"

He looked at Jordan then apologized.

"I'm sorry, ma'am. I should've asked first."

"Oh. No. It's okay," the beautiful blonde, whose hair was worn up, said. "We uh, I don't have one any..."

Her voice trailed off and she didn't finish her thought as Eric handed his phone to Mia.

"You can do anything you like with it as long as you ask your mom first, okay?" he told her as he glanced at Jordan.

She didn't even turn his way, and it was obvious she was preoccupied. And knowing she hadn't seen her mother in over 20 years, Eric was pretty sure he knew the reason why.

His passenger didn't speak for the first half hour except to approve or veto whatever Mia asked to do. But she finally asked, without looking at Eric, how long he'd been working for her mother.

"About two years," he told her as he looked her way again, still in shock over how different she was from what he'd expected.

"Have you been around farms and ranches your whole life?"

"Oh. No. This...this was all new to me when I started."

Jordan finally looked over at him, but Eric wasn't sure why.

"I'd just gotten out of the Army," he offered.

"Oh," she said before looking over at him again.

She stared for a moment then told him he looked older than she thought he should unless he'd been in the Army for quite some time.

"Not that you look...old," she told him, smiling for the first time.

"I was in for five years," Eric explained without really explaining anything.

"And before that?"

"I uh, I was in college."

"Really?" Jordan asked, very surprised to hear him say that. "May I ask where?"

"I went to West Point," he quietly replied.

Jordan sat back a little as she again stared at him.

"I'm confused," she said as she continued looking.

"How so?"

"You're a college graduate from a distinguished institution and...working on a farm?"

"I am," he replied as quietly as before as he also put two and two together. Jordan was having trouble reconciling his background and education with his current job, and he fully understood that.

"I wasn't ready to sit behind a desk wearing a shirt and tie, and your mom was willing to give me a chance. I'm sure I cost her more training me that I was worth early on, but I'm very grateful to her for giving me the job."

"I couldn't wait to get away from farm life," Jordan said matter of factly. "The long hours, the backbreaking work, the heat, the cold, the...sweat."

Eric looked over for a second then said, "That's exactly what I needed."

"Do you still enjoy it?"

"I do. Very much so."

Jordan lowered her head then said, "I...I'm dreading it. Terribly."

"I'll be happy to help you out until you get back in the routine."

"Ah, yes. The routine. Up at 4am and working until you're beyond exhausted."

Jordan sighed then said, "I just want my life back. My life and...my husband."

Eric noticed the huge diamond ring on her hand but didn't comment.

"My daddy was killed in a car accident," Mia said, suddenly paying attention.

"Mia. I...I am SO sorry," Eric told her. "For both of you."

"Thank you," Jordan said. "I can't expect someone who hasn't been through it to understand how terrible it is, but trust me—it's...awful."

"Yes. I can imagine it is," Eric replied, not wanting to tell her he understood or why.

As they drove along Jordan said, "They call this 'God's country'."

"They do," Eric agreed.

"I call it...hell."

"Mom! That's a bad word!" Mia said, again hearing the one thing that caught her attention.

"No, honey. I meant it like the place the Bible talks about. You know, heaven and hell?"

"Oh. Okay," her daughter said, satisfied with the answer.

"She's very grown up," Eric quietly offered.

"Yes. Ten going on 25," Jordan replied with a little laugh.

She looked at him again then asked, "You don't have children, do you?"

"No. No kids. I'd like to...someday. But I don't have any."

Eric could tell she was still looking at her so he turned, smiled, and asked if everything was okay.

"Sorry. I just can't get over how different you are from what I was expecting."

He debated not saying it but said it anyway.

"Honestly? I had the same thoughts about you."

He smiled after saying it and Jordan asked what he he'd been thinking.

"Oh, boy. You sure you want to know?"

Jordan laughed then told him she was sure.

"At least I think I am. Just be nice, okay?"

Eric laughed then told her what he'd been thinking in general terms. He smiled at her then said, "But you're the opposite. In every way."

She thanked him then said, "You, too, Eric."

They went a few more miles before he said, "It's really none of my business, but you're not exactly dressed for life on a farm."

Jordan sat there for a few seconds then said, "I don't have anything to wear other than the clothes I brought with me, and most are like this."

"There are quite a few places we could stop on the way if you'd like to pick something up," Eric offered as politely as he could.

"I'm sure my mother explained the reason we're coming back to West Virginia," Jordan said without looking at him.

"No, ma'am. She hasn't told me much of anything."

The look of surprise on Jordan's face surprised Eric.

"She hasn't?"

"No, ma'am. It's none of my business."

"Two things. Will you please stop calling me 'ma'am'?"

Eric smiled then said, "Yes...I will."

Jordan surprised him again when she smiled back then explained the second thing.

"This will all come out, and since we'll be working together, I may as well tell you myself."

Eric glance over, raised an eyebrow to indicate he was listening and waited.

Jordan started with the last thing she remembered before the accident.

"Joseph had something important he wanted to tell me. I could see that he was extremely worried, and that scared me because I'd never seen him like that before."

Eric nodded as she told him how she woke up in the hospital then learned of her husband's fate. As she tried to explain how she'd felt her words brought back a flood of his own darkest memories when the task force commander called him in early one morning to inform him of his wife's passing.

"I'm really sorry for you, ma'...Jordan."

She wiped away a tear then thanked him as she talked about how devastating it had been for Mia who was buried in some game on the phone or perhaps chose to block out the conversation. Either way, Eric hurt deeply for her and told Jordan that.

"She's such a sweet girl," her mom said before continuing.

"So the truth is I have a few dollars in cash with me, but I'm essentially...penniless."

"I...had no idea," Eric told her as he looked over and saw her wiping away another tear.

They needed gas, and Eric saw a sign for a WalMart at the next exit. He let her know about the gas, filled the tank, then told her they needed to stop at the store.

"Oh, okay," Jordan said, not telling him she hadn't been in a WalMart since 2001.

Mia had never been in one, and as they walked inside, she was amazed at all of the 'stuff'. Memories of Jordan's former life hit her hard as she saw the cheap clothing and the things she now considered shoddy. But she also remembered the good times with her father and mother and occasionally getting some new thing for herself.

"What are we looking for?" Jordan asked as her heels clicked on the tile floor. She was extremely aware that she was by far the most overdressed person in the store as she also assumed that many of the patrons they passed thought she was some kind of snob.

"Flannel," Eric told her.

"Flannel?"

"Uh-huh. And some boots. Maybe a pair of jeans, too. Something to work in."

Jordan stopped walking and waited for Eric to look at her.

"I told you I don't have any money," she said very quietly.

"I heard you," Eric said with a smile. "But you still need clothes to work in."

"But I can't pay for them."

"No one's asking you to," he replied with another smile.

"I...I don't know when I'll be able to pay you back."

"Again, no one's asking you to," Eric said with a smile. "And this young lady's gonna need something to wear to feed chickens with."

"I get to feed chickens?" Mia said, suddenly happy and even excited.

"You do. And you get to collect their eggs everyday."

She was all smiles while her mother had a look of sad despair on her face.

"Okay," Jordan said as she realized Eric was right. Her mom had already made it clear she'd have to go back to work, and cashmere was exactly made for shoveling cow sh...poo.

Eric did his best not to laugh when Jordan tried on a flannel shirt for the first time since before she'd been in a WalMart. But when she added some jeans to the look he found himself thinking she was just as attractive in them as she'd been in the designer clothes.

He didn't know her age, but he did see the size 6 on the jeans she tried on and he also saw how well she filled them out. Some heavy socks, a pair of work boots and pair of rubber boots, gloves, and a jacket along with a few other items were enough to get her started.

Mia was fascinated by the things 'poor people' wore and seemed to take to them immediately as she modeled them for Eric and her mother. Her mom, however, wasn't as thrilled.

Back in the Land Rover Jordan thanked Eric then said, "I feel like I just arrived in prison and just got issued my orange jumpsuit."

He laughed then told her it really wasn't that bad.

"Easy for you to say," she replied as she did her best to smile.

"If it helps, you uh, you look...very nice...in denim and flannel."

She cut her eyes his way but the boyish grin on his face made her laugh.

"Yes, that helped," she told him. "Well, a little."

Not much was said the rest of the way home. Eric assumed his passenger was dealing with a flood of emotions, not the least of which was reconnecting with her mother after so many years. Add to that the tragedy of losing her husband and going from riches to rags in a matter of days, and he had a fairly good understanding of what was likely going through her mind.

As they left the main road Jordan looked around and said, "I can't believe how little things have changed. There are a few new buildings here and there, but for the most part, it's exactly like it was the day I left."

"Things move at a slower pace out here," Eric said as though she might not know that then felt embarrassed for stating the obvious.

He tried to make it better by telling her that perhaps she'd notice the change in Wheeling.

"Ah, yes. Wheeling. The big city."

The sarcasm was heavy, so Eric left well enough alone as he turned onto the road leading to the farm.

"Country roads. Take me home," Jordan said as she saw the silo and then the barn from nearly a mile away. The house came into view and a chill ran through her; a chill that came from a feeling of humiliation. A feeling that her mom and dad had been right all along even though she'd loved the older man she married and Mia more than life itself.

Just before they pulled in to the farm Jordan said, "It's amazing what we'll do for our children."

Eric smiled and nodded but didn't reply as he pulled up to the house and turned off the engine.

He went around and opened the door for Jordan who started to thank him just as her mother walked outside. Eric stepped back as Mia got out, and from there he just watched.

"Jordan?" her mother said before throwing her arms open to hug the daughter she hadn't seen in so long.

"Hi, Mom," her daughter said with some amount of uncertainty in her voice as she hugged her back with a lesser amount of enthusiasm.

Eric couldn't see whether or not Jordan was crying but he could see tears falling from Jean's eyes as she let go and bent down to call her granddaughter to come give her a hug.

"Don't be scared, honey! I'm just old!" she said with a laugh and a cough as her granddaughter hugged her for the first time.

"I am SO glad to see you!" Jean said as she squeezed the little girl.

"You, too, Nana," Mia told her as Jean stood up and used the sleeve of her shirt to dry her eyes.

"Come on in. We'll get your things put away and dinner'll be ready soon."

Jordan didn't tell her mom they usually ate closer to 8pm in Colorado. Nor did she mention the time difference. She only said 'oh, okay' and followed her mom inside.

Eric didn't care that he had to bring their luggage in. Whatever Jordan was, she was a woman, and in his mind, men did things like that for a woman, even a rich woman. Or...one who'd been rich and even pampered her entire adult lifetime.

"Just take those to the back bedrooms," Jean told him as he brought the first two suitcases inside.

As he went out for the rest of the luggage he heard Jean ask how the flight was and heard, "Oh, it was okay," from Jordan with no even less enthusiasm than her hug.

"Well. Let's get you settled in and then we'll talk," Eric heard on the way back out.

"Eric?" Jean called out.

"Ma'am?"

"Thank you. For bringing my baby...my babies...home."

He smiled, nodded at both women, then went back out to move Jean's Land Rover and get back to work. He'd lost half a day and the cows were mooing loudly so they were his first priority.

As he hooked up teats to milking machines, Eric couldn't decide how he felt about Jordan. On the one hand she was undoubtedly shellshocked so he understood why she might not be very friendly. Or it could be that she was a spoiled bitch or something even worse?

On the other he couldn't stop seeing her in his mind's eye. She was obviously very attractive, but it was more than that. Or was it? And if there was something more going on—what might that be?

Soon he was too busy trying to catch up to think about such things, and by the time he finished at around midnight he was too exhausted to care. He was so tired he even set his alarm for five instead of four and hoped Jean wouldn't be too upset when he strolled in an hour late for breakfast.

Two surprises awaited him when he walked over for at 5:30am. There was a plate with a big lid on it in front of his place at the table and Mia was up.

"Wow. I didn't expect to see you up so early," Eric told her with a wink.

"I couldn't wait to feed the chickens!" she said with excitement in spite of her being tired.

Jean put a hand to the side of her mouth then said, "We'll see how long that lasts!"

Eric laughed and Mia said, "Huh?"

"Sorry I was late," Eric said before removing the covering.

"I saw when you went to bed," she told him. Her voice was almost sympathetic which was another little surprise.

"You were still up?"

"I was talking with Jordan."

"Oh?"

"We...covered a lot of ground."

"Any of it any of my concern?"

"Jordan knows she's working for you, but we didn't discuss the future of this place. There'll be plenty of time for that. And as I said, that's a done deal."

Jean coughed fairly hard then said, "And I gave Jordan off until noon. It's just this one time, but she needed to get some sleep."

She and Mia had already eaten, so Jean told Eric to enjoy his meal then said, "Okay, granddaughter of mine. You ready to feed some chickens?"

"Uh-huh! And can we get the eggs, too, Nana? Please?"

"I reckon we can check and see how many there are," her grandmother told her.

Eric noticed the smile on the old woman's face and it made him feel good to see it.

"Just don't drop any!" Eric said too seriously causing Mia to giggle.

"I won't!" she assured him as her nana gave her the basket she used to collect eggs in.

Eric finished catching up from the day before and was back on track by lunch which was always ready at twelve noon on the dot.

When he walked into the kitchen, he saw a whole lot of flannel and denim and tried not to laugh.

"Mornin'," he said to Jordan whose eyes were bloodshot from either a lack of sleep, crying, or both. "Did you get any sleep?"

"A little," she said before asking if he'd like some coffee.

"Yes ma...please."

He then saw Mia come into the kitchen from washing her hands and asked about the chickens.

"I love them! They all cluck and do their heads like this when they walk."

Mia tried to imitate a chicken and got a chuckle from her grandmother followed by another, longer cough.

"Mom? Are you okay?" Jordan asked.

"Oh, sure. I'm fine, honey. Just a...cold."

Mia continued bubbling away as she talked about the eggs.

"I picked up a baker's dozen—that's thirteen—and I didn't break any of them!"

"Nice work!" Eric told her.

"Thank you!" the young girl said as she asked what she could do next.

"She's such a blessing!" Jean said as she put her hands on Mia's shoulders.

"And then there's me," Jordan mumbled.

Eric was pretty sure her mom would say something but she didn't. She just told everyone to have a seat and dig in. There wasn't a lot of conversation during the meal, and what little there was came from Mia. She had to start school on Monday and was worried about making friends.

"You won't have any trouble, punkin'," her nana said. "You're a pretty little thing and sweet as can be. Somethin' tells me you'll be a big hit with everyone."

"My friends stopped being my friends in Colorado after my daddy died," she said, sadness creeping into her voice.

"Well, I can promise you that won't happen here," Jean told her.

Eric looked at Jordan who looked back at him. It was obvious she was thinking that her mother couldn't guarantee that, but she didn't feel like mentioning it. For that matter, she didn't feel much like eating and pushed her plate away.

komrad1156
komrad1156
3,802 Followers