Dani

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

+++++++

I continued our story to the church full of people.

"Eight months and twenty-seven days later, on April 2, 1986, the first of two great gifts from God arrived.

Thirty-one years earlier:

The first surprise came when a doctor entered the birthing room, shortly after Dani had been admitted. She asked if a nursing student could be assigned to watch Dani and our child's birth. Dani agreed without hesitation.

A few minutes later, an Adonis came into the room and introduced himself as Mike. He was 6'2", with the body of an NFL linebacker and the face of a GQ model.

"You're the nursing student?" I wondered, as I looked on with a jealous knot forming in my gut.

Alice, the nurse assigned to us, helped Dani put her feet into the stirrups at the end of the bed. I watched as Alice explained to Mike, from a physiological standpoint, what he was seeing and how things would change, as the delivery progressed.

All I knew was the most attractive man I had ever met had his face inches from my wife's vagina. My face was red and I was getting pissed. One glance from Dani and she knew exactly what I was thinking.

"You've got to be kidding?" She nearly shrieked.

Dani startled Alice, Mike and me. We all looked at her and I suspect, Mike and Alice were relieved that Dani was looking at me.

"What are you thinking? Do you really think I'm in the mood for a taste of Mike?"

Alice started giggling, as Dani looked at Mike. "Come on, gorgeous. Whip it out and fuck me. Right here. Right now. In front of my husband. You've got to be quick because the baby will be coming out any minute."

Alice's giggle had turned into a deep belly laugh. Mike was amused but was watching me carefully. Dani shook her head and proclaimed, "You're such a tard!"

I sighed, surrendered and asked, "I need some fresh air. Does anyone want a coffee?" After getting Alice's order, I walked into the hallway. Mike was a step behind and asked, "Chris? If you're uncomfortable with me, I can be assigned ..."

I waved Mike off before he could finish and said, "I'm a jealous idiot. Don't worry about it!"

Seven hours later, we got our second surprise when Alice called for a doctor. After examining Dani, the doctor smiled and calmly told us, "We are going to deliver your baby by c-section, and we're going to do it right now."

Attendants and nurses flooded the room and each went through their assigned emergency protocol. Alice's job seemed to be keeping me calm and out of the way.

Within a minute, Dani's bed was rolled out of the birthing room and into the operating theatre.

While the emergency delivery team took care of Dani and our baby, Alice handed out scrubs to Mike and me. When we entered the operating room, the doctor briefly looked up and said, "Your wife and baby are fine."

He went back to work and thirty seconds later, I heard a baby's cry. I watched as one nurse handed our baby to a second nurse who quickly cleaned our daughter, wrapped her in a pink blanket and handed her to me.

My legs felt weak as I looked at the most beautiful little baby girl ever born. Mike slid a rolling stool toward me and steadied me as I sat, with my daughter cradled in my arms.

Crazy things were going through my head, as I wondered how I could possibly raise my precious daughter alone if anything were to happen to Dani.

As if reading my mind, without looking up from his work, the doctor said, "We're finishing up now. Your wife will be waking up over the next few minutes. We'll bring her back to her room shortly."

A half-hour later, Wendy and I were reunited with Dani. Her surgeon and OB-GYN were at Dani's bedside and were explaining why they delivered Wendy by c-section and the precautions that Dani would need to take, in the short-term, while she recovered from surgery.

Wendy was wrapped in my arms, as she had been since moments after she was born. As the doctors finished with their instructions, her OB asked, "Do you have any questions, Dani?"

"I don't have any questions, but I've got something to say." She looked over at me, smiled, sobbed and begged, "Please let me hold my baby!"

++++++++

"Those of you who know me best might describe me as a straight-shooter. I don't worry about having difficult conversations with people. For better or worse, I dive right in."

I caught a few agreeable nods from the people in the church.

Eighteen months earlier:

"One Friday was among the longest and most frustrating days of my life. Wendy, her husband David, and their children arrived at our Cape Cod summer home in the late morning. Julie and her fiancé, Bob arrived an hour later.

We had a delicious lunch together. Afterward, we changed into our swimwear and headed to the beach. Dani and I took our grandsons, Scott and Mike, on a long walk along the shore.

On the drive home, we stopped for fresh lobster and steamers, along with all the other fixings for a lobster bake. The men, Bob, David, Mike, Scott and I, prepared the firepit to cook our food. We got a nice fire going, and after the water started boiling in the large lobster pot, we put the potatoes into the water and gave them a fifteen minute head start. The corn on the cob was next, and after the water started boiling for the third time, my grandsons added the clams and lobster. I loved the nervous squeals from the boys, as the lobsters thrashed against the side of the pot, in the seconds before they died.

We ate together on our oversized picnic table and by the end of an outstanding dinner, everyone was content. The girls had opened the third bottle of red wine. By that time we'd moved the party inside.

Wendy put the boys to sleep at ten and when she returned to the kitchen table, she brought a bottle of my bourbon and a bottle of Dani's tequila, along with six glasses.

When Bob indicated that he'd prefer bourbon, Wendy poured a glass for Bob and me and then she poured a glass of tequila for Julie, David, Dani, and herself.

"Cheers!" Wendy lifted her glass and we all toasted.

When Wendy put her glass down, she turned to her mother and asked, "What the fuck is going on, Mom?"

"What do you mean?" Dani asked.

"Give us a break, Mom!" Julie had jumped in. "The blood vessel on the side of Dad's head is pumping and looks like it's going to burst. It's been pulsing since we arrived."

Wendy finished with, "We know somethings wrong. Will one of you ... spill it!"

It was Dani's show. She took another large sip of liquid courage and then told her daughters, "I have cancer. Things don't look good."

We talked and cried for hours. Dani answered every conceivable question from the girls and guys. My daughters took great comfort in their mother's solemn promise to fight her disease with all of her energy.

When midnight approached, I excused myself and went out on the porch. I wanted to clear my head and look out over the ocean.

It was only a few minutes later that the music started inside the house. I turned and looked through the window and into the living room. Dani, Wendy and Julie were dancing together. Luckily, our daughters inherited their dancing ability from their mother.

With tears in my eyes, I watched the girls sway in perfect rhythm to the song. I was grateful that they looked so happy. After four or five songs, Dani danced toward the door, opened it and danced onto the deck. The music followed her as she slowly and sensually rocked, twisted and twirled, her way to me.

Dani moved in fairly close and put an arm around my shoulder. The other hand was stretched high in the air and rocked to the rhythm of the song. It reminded me of our first dance together, so many years earlier. She looked deep into my eyes and once again confirmed, "I'm so happy being here with you!" Our kiss lasted a very long time.

++++++++

"Dani spent four days in hospice type care at our home. We were given heavy-duty pain medications to make sure Dani was as comfortable as possible."

One week earlier:

Dani was in and out of consciousness for most of the four days.

We had a steady flow of people coming to say goodbye. My Dad had passed, but Mom was a constant companion at Dani's bedside. Likewise, Dani's Mom and Dad were at our house from sunrise to sunset.

Dani's sisters and their families were daily visitors.

Wendy and Julie took turns, helping me with the most intimate necessities of taking care of their Mom.

On the third day of hospice care, around eleven-thirty in the evening, I was sitting by our bed reading. The house was silent.

I heard a raspy, "Hi."

When I looked up, I saw Dani staring at me. She shuffled towards me. I could tell by the mischievous smile and the twinkle in her eye, that Dani was lucid and fully aware of her surroundings.

"Hi, Sweetheart."

Her smile widened as she said, "My name is Dani Wilson Harrington. I'm really glad you went to the Winter Carnival Dance with me!" I crawled into bed and pulled Dani into my arms.

"I'm grateful," I told the congregation. "I am very grateful that Dani was able to pass away peacefully, surrounded by family, in the bedroom that we shared.

12