Dark Shadows

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As she styled her hair she didn't bother even trying to justify her decision. So what if she she finally settled on a pair of very expensive gray wool pants and an equally expensive pink cashmere sweater? By the time she added the heels back in she couldn't think of a reason not to wear some nice earrings and maybe even a necklace. A dab of her best perfume and she was finally ready to find out what Collin had learned overnight.

His office wasn't filled with spare parts, but it was very spartan. There were three desktop computers on the large desk where Collin was sitting and she saw a chair in front of it.

By the time Collin looked up, Lisa was standing right in front of him. He hadn't heard her come in and his back was to her when she spoke.

"Hey there," she said.

Her voice startled him and Lisa tried not to laugh when he visibly flinched.

"Oh, hi," he said turning around. "You must be stealth mode! I had no idea you were even here."

She felt strangely saddened he didn't seem to even notice the way she looked but pressed on as though it didn't matter.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to startle you," she told him. "Should I sit down?" She nodded to the ratty chair next to her and Collin tried not to laugh.

"Um...why don't you come around here and sit in my chair," he suggested as he stood up.

"Where will you sit?" she asked.

"I can stand up behind you or kneel down beside you. I want to make sure you'll be able to see what I want to show you."

Lisa walked around the desk and Collin turned the chair her way and helped her get seated.

"Thank you," she said with a weak smile.

"You're welcome," he told her. "You um...you look...amazing."

Lisa's spirits soared. She smiled a genuine smile at him and thanked him.

Collin went to show her something on the middle screen when Lisa said, "Collin? I...I wanted to apologize for...you know...what happened."

"For kissing me?" he asked knowing that's what she meant.

"Well, yes. I can only imagine what you must have thought. A woman my age..."

"I thought, 'That was the most amazing kiss of my life'," he told her truthfully. "So please don't apologize unless you regret kissing me."

His reply caught her so off guard she didn't know what to say so Collin kept talking.

"Do you?"

"Do I?" she asked seeking clarification.

"Do you regret kissing me?"

Lisa's heart was pounding as Collin knelt beside her.

"I...I know I should," she began. "I know it was wrong of me to do that. You're such a great guy for helping me out and not charging me and...well, maybe I just got caught up in everything. I...I don't really know."

She couldn't look at him even though she wanted nothing more. His face was less than two feet from hers and his hand was touching the armrest of the chair.

"So there wasn't any physical attraction? It was just a kind of...spontaneous thing?" he said deeply disappointed to think that was all it had been. "I mean, I know you're still married and..."

Lisa held out her left hand and looked at the huge diamond ring.

"Depending on what you're about to show me, I may not be married."

She finally looked over at him and said, "I know I will be—legally speaking, anyway—but if Michael is having an affair, then our marriage is essentially over."

Collin didn't reply. He just pointed again at the middle computer monitor.

"Before you show me," Lisa said stopping him again. "There was physical attraction there."

She turned away from his stare and looking down into her lap added, "A lot of physical attraction. But I suppose that's a big part of the reason I feel so...foolish."

She looked back over at him again then said, "I have those kinds of feelings for you, but I know how old I am and how handsome you are and I also know better than to think you have those kinds of feelings for..."

Collin leaned over and kissed her as she spoke and Lisa's heart leapt into her throat as his lips met hers.

"You're the most beautiful woman I've ever met," he said quietly when the kiss ended. "But you really need to see this before we say anything else, okay?"

Lisa could barely think let alone talk. She just nodded her head and turned toward the computer screen where a video of some sort was queued up.

"This may be difficult to watch so let me tell you what I found first. You may decide you don't want to see it and that's fine."

Lisa glanced at him and Collin continued, "It took some work, but I found the room where your husband and his brother...um...meet with one of those 'Slavic beauties.' He or they seem to have a penchant for video cameras and recording their um...activities. I was able to tap into their feed and I now have the kind of absolute proof you were looking for. I want to warn you that some of this stuff is incredibly graphic and um...unusual."

"Unusual as in 'kinky'?" she asked.

"That would be the polite word for it, yes," Collin told her. "Utterly raunchy or perverted are the words I'd use."

"Does it involve tying someone up and inflicting pain?" Lisa asked, her stomach doing flip flops. It wasn't due to any romantic feelings for Collin. It was the awareness that kinds of things Michael had asked her to do with him for years were what the video would show him doing.

"It may even be worse than that," Collin told him. "If it's what I think it is, I have a duty to involve the police."

"The police?" Lisa asked feeling like she might be sick.

"Lisa? I have a very strong feeling your husband and his brother have a girl kept in captivity."

"Captivity? As in...a...a sex slave?" she asked barely able to say the words.

"That's how it appears," he replied. "I suppose it's possible this girl is such a convincing actor that she can look like she's afraid of them both or that..."

"I...I have to see for myself," she said bravely. "I don't want to watch anything more than necessary, so can you show me only what you think I really need to see?"

"Sure. That won't take long at all," he told her. "Just be aware this isn't happening in a nice, well-lit motel room, okay?"

He hit 'play' and the camera showed Michael and his brother in a dingy room with a door that opened into a smaller space. They were laughing and joking around as one of them unlocked the other door. Inside, a very pretty girl about 18-20 or so was cowering in the corner in the dimly-lit room. She was nearly naked and there was a tray with uneaten food on it along with a bottle of water and a bucket.

Lisa felt sick when she Michael taunting the girl about not eating because she needed her strength. He also made an issue about the contents of the bucket which was clearly used for human waste.

"Get up!" she heard Ken bark. "You know the drill. Shower, do your hair and makeup, then wait for us."

Micheal roughly grabbed her and dragged to the bathroom. A different camera came on showing the dank, nasty bathroom that had a tiny shower and a small sink.

Michael pushed her inside then said, "You understand me?"

The girl was still cowering as she nodded at him. "Yes. I am understanding," she said in a thick Slavic accent. Her voice was shaky and her fear was palpable.

"That's enough," Lisa said.

Collin stopped the tape then said, "Just so you know, both of them take part in quite a number of sexual activities so there's no doubt about him being unfaithful to you. And I'm 99% sure this woman isn't acting. The 1% comes from the fact that she was once featured as one of the girls on the website Ms. Morassovich runs. So it is at least possible this is all part of an act they pay for. A very sick, twisted act if that's what it is. But it's more likely they paid this Elena for um...rights to this girl and that they're keeping her there against her will."

"I think I'm going to throw up," Lisa said.

"There's a ladies room down the hall if you need it," Collin said. "Can I walk you there?"

She felt his hand on her shoulder and the worst of it seemed to pass. Lisa shook her head and said, "No. That's okay. Maybe I'm stronger than I thought."

"I really do need to contact the police. I should have done so several hours ago. If she were to be harmed in the interim, I'd never forgive..."

"Call them," Lisa said. "Please. Call them right now."

In less than an hour two detectives from the city's vice squad were there examining the evidence.

"Jesus. These guys are some sick fucks," one of the detectives said unaware Lisa was close enough to hear them.

"I'm calling the office to get us arrest warrants for the two guys and a search warrant for this Morassovich woman's business," the other one said as he pulled out his cell phone.

They took Collin's middle computer which he carefully unhooked from the other two it was tied into. They handed him a receipt for it and assured him he'd get it back. They just couldn't tell him when.

"So now what?" Lisa asked as the detectives left.

"They'll arrest your husband and his brother then tear apart anything at her place covered by the warrant looking for signs of other crimes in addition to the escort service itself. Beyond that, there will either be trials or plea deals."

Collin looked at Lisa then said, "The bigger question is...so now what...from your perspective?"

"I suppose my first stop will be at a divorce attorney's office. Depending on what I'm told, I'll be able to figure out a second and third step. Other than that, I don't really know what else to do."

"You know I'm here for you, right?" Collin asked as he walked her to her car.

"Yes. And I can't thank you enough, Collin. I should be heartbroken and angry but I just feel...numb, you know?" she told him.

"I won't pretend to know what you're going through, Lisa. But if I can help in any way, please ask, okay?"

He opened her door and before she got in she said, "When things die down a little. When I can breathe again, maybe we could, you know, get together and do something."

Collin smiled and said, "I'd like that very much."

She got in and sat down but before Collin closed her door he said, "I know you need time, Lisa. I just want you to know I meant what I said. You really are a beautiful woman but you're also much more than that to me now. And...well, when you don't need time anymore, I'll be here—waiting."

"That...that sounds wonderful," Lisa said. "And as much I wish that were true, you are much too handsome and too young to wait around for the likes of an old woman like me."

She smiled and said, "Not that I wouldn't like that, mind you. It's just that you can have pretty much any hot...young girl you want...and as much as I find myself attracted to you, I don't want to end up getting hurt again believing you will be here waiting so..."

Collin leaned down and just before he kissed her again, he told her, "When someone is worth waiting for, one waits."

He kissed her for several seconds then said, "And you are very much worth waiting for."

Lisa was once again completely thrown for a loop and couldn't think clearly.

"Then...do we really have to wait?" she asked as she looked back up at him.

"Unfortunately, yes," Collin told her. "There's nothing I'd like more than to go home with you right now and make love to you except for one thing."

"What might that be?" Lisa asked as her heart rode a roller coaster of emotions.

"I'd like to be with you for the long run and if having you for the short term means losing you in the long haul, then I'd rather hold off."

"Okay," Lisa said not knowing what else to say.

"Call me when you're in a better place," Collin said with a smile.

"I will," she told him.

"Promise?" he asked still smiling.

"Yes. I promise," she told him.

He closed her door and stood there until she drove off before going back inside to put what was left of his office back together.

Lisa only saw Collin one time over the next five months. He'd come to her now ex-husband's trial to provide expert testimony as to what he'd learned. They'd said hello, but they didn't really talk let alone discuss feelings or plans, and Lisa felt certain he really had moved on.

In conjunction with what the police had uncovered with a proper warrant, it was enough to put her former husband and brother-in-law away for many years to come. She and Lauren were there anytime court was in session, and both of them cheered loudly when guilty verdicts were announced on all counts.

Lisa glared as Michael was led out of the courtroom in handcuffs. She found it hard to believe she'd ever loved or even trusted him. His betrayal had been so complete and so well hidden that were it not for Collin, she'd have likely never found out just what a sick, disgusting human being he was. The only positive thing she could come up with was that they'd never had children.

"Maybe someday," she mused to herself as she watched her former husband disappear into the state penal system. "You know, before I actually do turn 80."

Lisa had wanted to call him a hundred times, but she knew he'd been right. She was in no position to be in a relationship with anyone. She needed to see this whole sordid thing through with Michael and start over again on as clean a slate as possible. And now, that chapter of her life was closed and all she could do was hope that perhaps he still felt something for her; some ember perhaps still glowing just enough to start a flame.

Then again, he may very well have moved on. And Lisa had to admit it was quite likely he'd never really felt about her the way she knew she felt about him. Yes, he'd kissed her and said some very flattering things, but did he really have feelings for her?

She'd been over the age difference and every other negative thing she could think of dozens of times and none of that mattered. At least not to her. But how could it not matter to Collin? He had his whole life in front of him, his business was now up and running, and she was...yesterday's news. Yesterday's old news.

As she and her sister left the courtroom she made up her mind she wasn't going to live in fear. She would call him and find out. If he told her 'no' at least was she in a strong enough place to start over and at least try and look for love...real love...with someone new. But if he really did still have...

She was so lost in her thoughts she nearly ran into him.

"Hi, there," he said after stepping aside to avoid the collision then watched her reaction when she realized who it was.

"Collin? What...what are you doing here?" she asked, her heart pounding with emotion.

"I heard the jury had reached a verdict so I hurried down here. I was standing in back when it was announced. The first thing I want to say is how glad I am you were able to find out the truth and get away from someone so...toxic. And..."

"And?" Lisa said hopefully.

"And, well...I was hoping that maybe since all this is behind us, you might have found that better place."

Lisa's eyes welled up with tears as she saw the way he looked at her as well as the kind, gentle way he spoke.

She blinked several times then smiled at him and said, "I believe I have. Found that better place, that is. And I have you to thank for that. I...I have no idea how I could ever repay you. Thank you, Collin. Thank you so much."

He smiled back then said, "The reviews you wrote were very helpful. I'm not sure how to put this, but the publicity from this trial has been incredibly important in building a client base. I can't help but think this may have given me a 2-3 year jumpstart on where I'd have been without out, so the thanks go to you."

"I'm glad I could help," Lisa told him. "You really are very good at this and I have no doubt you can grow your business as large as you'd like."

"I don't know about that," he replied. "If I can get this one office fully established and turning a profit, then maybe a second could be in the cards."

"Um...is anyone going to introduce me?" Lauren finally said after standing there watching and waiting patiently.

"Oh, my goodness! I am so sorry! Lauren, this is Collin, the guy..."

"I know who he is," she said smiling brightly at the very handsome, very young private investigator who was very professionally attired. "I just wanted to be introduced."

She and Collin shook hands then Lauren excused herself to let them talk.

"So what now?" Lisa asked wondering if her worst fears were coming true.

"Now? Well, for starters, I get back to the office and get to work. I have four cases I'm working and again, I have you to thank for that, Lisa."

"That's...that's wonderful. More will follow I'm sure," she said trying not to let her disappointment show through when work seemed to be his top priority.

"But there's something else I've been thinking a lot about for the last several months."

"Oh, really?" Lisa said feeling a bit more optimistic.

"Yes, really. I should say some one rather than some thing, though," he said with a smile.

"Ah, I see. Anyone I might know?" she said, her hopes now soaring.

Collin laughed quietly then said, "Do any of us really know ourselves?" He held his arms out like he was performing a dramatic play.

"Tough question," Lisa said. "Do we?"

"I can't answer that one, but I can tell you that whether you know yourself or not, I'd very much like to get better acquainted."

"Hmmm. I think that could be arranged," Lisa said, her eyes now bright and free of tears.

"I might be able to squeeze in a quick lunch if you'd care to join me," he said offering her his arm.

She hooked hers through it and said, "I can't think of anything I'd like more. Were you thinking Subway?"

He put his arm around her and said, "Not today. I have a job now and can afford to take you someplace nice. Just not too nice. At least not yet."

He lowered his arm and took her hand and led her outside.

Lauren saw them leave the building hand in hand and said, "You know what? I should probably get home. I've spent so much time here during the trial and I've got tons of things to take care of so..."

"No. Join us. Please," Collin said.

"Yes. Come with us, Lauren," Lisa said, brimming with excitement.

"Um...I don't know. Third wheel and all that."

"No third wheel. Just another beautiful woman for me to have lunch with," Collin said with a happy smile.

"Hey, watch it, Buster," Lisa said only half feigning jealousy. "I know how you feel about older women and my sister just happens to be older than me."

"She may be the pretty one, but I'm the smart one," Lauren said with a laugh as they headed across the street to a very nice cafe.

Collin opened the door for them both and Lauren quickly whispered, "She's crazy about you so be gentle, okay?"

Collin smiled and quickly whispered back, "No worries. The feelings are mutual."

"Hey? Are you two talking about me?" Lisa said knowing something was said but not knowing what it was.

"Oh, maybe a little," her sister said with a snarky grin.

Having Lauren there turned out to be an easy, pleasant way to get reacquainted or at least better acquainted with Collin. He seemed completely at ease with them and both of the sisters found him charming, intelligent, and handsome in the extreme.

They learned that he was not only working a handful of cases, but that he had several more lined up. Word was spreading fast about this young computer/surveillance 'guru' and Collin was in the process of renting an very nice office in the downtown Seattle area with the proceeds from his first two jobs.

As they finished their meal, Lauren insisted on giving them at least a few minutes alone. She thanked Collin for lunch, for the conversation, and for being so easy to look at.

"It's no wonder my sister is crazy about you," she said to Collin while looking at Lisa.

"Oh, you are so in trouble!" Lisa vowed.

"Why?" Collin said sticking his nose in their conversation. "I don't think it's any big secret that I've got a huge thing for the better-looking version of Stana Katic."