Dexter's Renaissance Ch. 05-06

Story Info
A whole new challenge.
8.5k words
4.64
114k
41

Part 3 of the 7 part series

Updated 10/31/2022
Created 10/17/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
coaster2
coaster2
2,596 Followers

Chapter 5 The Next Step

Typically, Tom Yardley and I were the first two people in the office each morning. Tom was an early riser by nature, and always anxious to get to work first thing. I was similar because I was at my best in the morning and that was when I did my most effective work. So it was no surprise that when I arrived at the Pinecone office on Monday morning Tom was already there, pouring his first cup of coffee. I joined him.

"Good morning, Dex. Ready to get back to work?"

"Yes but I guess that does bring up the question about Dorothy. I don't want to hurt her and I hear she did a great job while I was away. I was thinking maybe another site-rep assignment."

"Well, I suppose we could do that but I think you should hold on until later this morning. I'd like you to get up to speed with Dorothy on the department then meet me here in my office at ten o'clock. I have something that might interest you."

"Okay ... fine, ten o'clock. I take it there's no point in my asking what the meeting's about?" I grinned.

"None at all. See you then," he said with a smile.

When I walked into Tom's office at ten that morning I was surprised to see Wolf Balak sitting in a comfortable chair, enjoying a coffee.

"Hey, Wolf. How are you? Long time no see."

"I am good, Dex. Good to see you too. I hear good things about you on our airport job," he said in his thick German accent.

"Oh ... from whom?"

"The contractor. He said he would work with Pinecone anytime in the future. He thought you were very professional and handled any problems quickly. Thank you for that," he smiled.

"To tell the truth, Wolf, we didn't have very many problems. That job went about as smoothly as any we've ever had. A little slowly, perhaps, but pretty smoothly."

He nodded. "It is good to have one like that, especially when it is in a foreign country."

The reason I asked you to join us, Dex," Tom interrupted, "is that we have a proposal to put to you."

That got my immediate attention.

It was Wolf who opened the discussion.

"You will not be aware that Tom and I have been negotiating with another company to buy controlling interest in them. We want to expand our business and this is the quickest way to accomplish that. The company that we want to acquire is Trent Engineering in Toronto. They have fallen on hard times and need an injection of business activity to get back to where they once were."

"Trent was, once upon a time, one of the most respected small firms in Canada," Tom continued. "Unfortunately, the senior partners either retired or expired. What they had left were competent engineers but with no drive to find new business. Their opportunities have been dwindling steadily over this recent declining economy and we were able to acquire a 55% share of ownership for an attractive price."

"You know how much I like to find new opportunities," Wolf went on. "I pride myself in my engineering skill but the truth is that I am a better salesman. So ... now we have this new addition to the Pinecone family and we need your help."

I sat looking at them. This was an unexpected surprise. I couldn't guess what Tom and Wolf wanted from me since I didn't know anything about Trent Engineering.

"We're not in a position to compete with the big civil engineering firms like SNC-Lavalin or Hatch but we sit well in our slot," Tom said. "We've been successful because we stick with what we know best and spend a lot of time with architects and construction companies to make sure they are confident with us. It's been a good strategy and we plan to maintain it."

"How do I fit in?" I asked.

"When the acquisition is complete in the next month," Tom went on, "we'll want you to go to Toronto and assess the capabilities there. There's been a freeze on spending over the last three years and I know how much we've spent on updating our programs and equipment so I'm expecting they'll need to catch up. We want the same programs at both offices, naturally."

"That makes sense," I said. "I won't know until I get there how long I'll need. How many operators do they have?"

"I think I saw about two dozen work stations," Wolf answered. "Not all of them were occupied but, if we can revitalize the company, you would want that many at least."

"We have nearly thirty here," I noted. "Is there room for expansion?"

"Not really. We might move the engineering and executive staff to another floor if that were necessary. We will leave it up to you to decide," Wolf said.

"Okay ... so you want me in Toronto when?"

"March 15th," Tom responded. "Any problem with that?"

"No ... none. I assume I'll have some accommodation available?"

"Yes. There's a suites residence a block from the office. Both Wolf and I have stayed there and it's fine. Naturally, all your expenses will be covered. Cost of acquisition you know," Tom grinned.

"Okay then. Anything else?" I asked.

"Yes. Your title and salary will change. You are now Vice President, Design Services, Pinecone-Trent Engineering. It will be effective March 1st. I've already ordered the business cards," Tom grinned again.

"Wow. Another thing I didn't expect. Thank you very much. You were pretty sure I would take this assignment, I guess."

"Well, considering your situation, I thought it wouldn't cause a problem. Maybe I shouldn't have taken that for granted," Tom admitted.

"No problem. I'm better off being busy and somewhere other than here for the time being. We can always talk about the future when I've figured out what I want from my life. By the way, I'll be filing for divorce if Sandra accepts my proposal. I'll know in a couple of days. If she turns it down I'll just go on as before until I can wear her down."

"I am very sorry to hear of your problem, Dex," Wolf said sadly. "It must be very hard to accept what Sandra has done after all these years. I was delighted with the job you did for us in Sint Maarten. I think for you, it was very good therapy, yes?"

"Yes, it was. I think Toronto could be more of the same. I hope so, anyway."

"How is your relationship with your son and daughter now?" Tom asked.

"Okay now. They know the truth and understand why I did what I did. Merilee is very disappointed that there isn't any hope of reconciliation and she is still close to her mother. They are living together at our house for now. Jon is working in Chile and understands completely. He has no illusions about his mother and me."

"And Sandra?" Tom asked.

"You would be shocked if you saw her, I think. She's aged and doesn't seem to have much life in her. I know she understands what she's done and that there is no going back but she doesn't seem to be able to move on from it. I saw her on Saturday and it was a very short, unemotional meeting with very little accomplished as far as I was concerned. However, we'll see what happens when I ask for an answer on my settlement proposal."

"Alright, Dex," Tom sighed. "We wish you luck. Oh, by the way, Dorothy is aware of this meeting. I wanted her to be confident she wasn't about to lose her job when you returned. You're still her boss, though."

"Easiest person I ever supervised," I smiled. "You mind if I take her to lunch today? I'd like to let her know what's happening."

"No problem," Tom responded. "She's aware of the acquisition and knows not to talk about it. I told her I would be discussing it with you too so it won't come as a surprise."

I ended the meeting feeling quite light-headed. A vice presidency! I never expected that. I didn't even bother to ask about the salary. I was sure Tom and Wolf would treat me fairly. This was a very good boost for my morale. I had a new project and a new responsibility.

I stopped by Dorothy's desk.

"Do you have time for lunch today, Dorothy?"

"Yes, I guess so," she answered tentatively. She was obviously curious about my request and I was glad that Tom had told her that her job was secure.

"Why don't I come and get you about twelve-thirty and we'll head for Gassy Jack's. You don't have anything urgent for the rest of the day, do you?"

"No. I'm caught up. I'll see you then."

The restaurant was thinning out by the time we arrived, and the noise level had dropped from its usual loud level during the early lunch hour. The brokerage boys had come and gone before noon, and we were able to find a table in a corner where it wouldn't be too near other patrons.

"I wanted to thank you for doing such a great job since I've been gone, Dorothy. I know Tom told you about what's happening so we can talk about it if you like. You'll now report to me since they've decided to appoint me V.P. Design Services. I'm heading for Toronto in a couple of weeks to bring them up to speed with what we are doing. I want them running as well as Vancouver is when I'm done. I'll be on the lookout for another Dorothy," I smiled.

"Thank you, Dex. I really appreciate your support. I love the job and all the staff have been great about my taking over."

"Good, I'm glad to hear that. I don't know what's needed in Toronto yet but I'll be in contact with you probably daily to match up what we are doing here with what we need there. I've been out of the loop for eighteen months so I'm sure things have changed."

The waitress arrived and we ordered our lunch. Dorothy Milner was a thirty-something young lady, married, no children, attractive dark brown hair, nice build, well dressed. She was my vision of a well-balanced career woman. Very professional on the job without losing her femininity.

"I hope I'm not out of line, Dex, but I was very sorry to hear about you and your wife. That must have been hard for you."

"It was. The best thing that happened was that Sint Maarten airport job. It got me away from here and out of my discomfort zone," I kidded. "I met some interesting people down there that helped distract me."

"Oh ... some interesting female people?" she grinned.

"Yeah. A pair of twins," I said, pulling the picture out of my wallet.

"Oh, wow!" Dorothy remarked when she saw them. "Hot looking babes, Dex. Very hot!"

"Yes, indeed. Made this old codger sit up and take notice."

"Old codger? You must be kidding. Have you looked at yourself since you got back. Tanned, fit. Hell, Dex, you're now a certified hunk. If I wasn't happily married, I'd be after you," she giggled.

"Thanks. I have to admit, I feel a lot better and several people have noticed and said something. It does help lift one's spirits."

"I have a couple of single girlfriends that would jump at the chance to date you. You want me to give them your phone number? I wouldn't do this for just anyone. Only someone I trust."

"No ... no ... not just yet. I'm hoping I can get my situation with Sandra resolved this week, then maybe I can think about dating."

She nodded. "I understand. But remember, if you ever need a date I can get you one like that!" she said, snapping her fingers.

"You sure know how to make a guy feel good, Dorothy."

We had a leisurely lunch and walked back to the office just before two o'clock. It was good to reconnect with Dorothy again. She was going to be an important cog in the Vancouver office for some years to come. She was happy in her job and did it very well. I'm told she had a firm hand on the staff but that they all supported her.

Tuesday evening my cell phone chirped and instead of ignoring it I decided to answer it.

"Hi, Daddy, it's me, Merry," my daughter announced.

"Hello, Sweetheart. How are you? It's great to hear from you."

"I know I should have called sooner. I just realized you probably didn't have my cell phone number."

"No ... I figured I could call you at the house. I wasn't sure how anxious you were to talk to me," I admitted.

"Daddy, you don't have to worry about that. I understand why you were so upset but I can't abandon Mom just now. She's really down about what's happened. I'm afraid she's depressed so I want to be close to her and help her."

"I think that's very good of you, Merry. I'm glad your mother has someone to look out for her."

"Daddy, I called because I wanted you to know that I've been talking to Mom about your settlement offer. I've told her she should accept it and move on. I don't think it's a good thing for this to drag on for ever and ever. It won't do her any good ... I mean emotionally. She has to accept that she did something very wrong and she shouldn't expect to be rewarded for that. I think I've got through to her but I guess you'll know for sure when you talk to her tomorrow night."

"Thank you, Merry. I appreciate your effort. I hope she takes your advice. I don't want to hurt her any more either but I've drawn a line in the sand about this issue and she has to accept that I'm not going to argue back and forth about it."

"I know, Daddy. I wish it never happened, but ... both of you need to get on with your lives. You've seen the way she looks. I think Jon would be sick if he saw her now. She needs to find something to get her back to the land of the living."

"You've done all you can, Merry. You are a wonderful daughter and I'm sure your mother knows that. You make me very proud to be your father."

I could hear a sniffle at the other end of the line and, to be honest, I wasn't far from tears either.

"Good night, Daddy. We'll talk soon."

After I'd closed my phone I realized I hadn't told her about my promotion and leaving for Toronto in a couple of weeks. Time enough for that later this week I suppose.

By the time Wednesday evening rolled around I was very antsy about Sandra's decision. I really wanted this whole ugly affair to be over with. There wasn't going to be a reconciliation and I wasn't, in my opinion, out for blood. I just wanted a fair settlement to the divorce; one that allowed me to hold my head up despite the fact that she had cuckolded me in my own back yard.

"Hello, Sandra. I called to get your answer on my settlement proposal."

I wasn't about to beat around the bush or engage in pointless small-talk.

"Yes, Dex," she answered with a sigh. "Merry has convinced me that your proposal is fair, so I will sign the documents on that basis. I'm not sure that I'm really getting what I should but I suppose that's the price I have to pay for what I did."

"I think you've made a good decision, Sandra. Both of us have to move on with our lives even though they will be separate. I'll have some good memories despite how it all ended. I'll try hard to wipe away the bad ones."

"Yes ... I think that's the best thing. No point in dwelling on the mistakes. How do you want to handle this?"

"I've already had my lawyer draw up the proposal so I'll send it to your lawyer and you can arrange a meeting for the four of us to sign."

"All right. Did Merry tell you that we want to put the house up for sale?"

"No, but that makes sense. Both of you are working downtown so finding a place closer would make your life easier. I'll sign the house over to you as agreed."

"We're thinking of buying a condo at False Creek. We could walk to work from there."

"Good. I'm glad Merry is staying close with you. I think that will be good for both of you for the next little while."

"Yes ... she's been a tower of strength for me. I really don't know what I would have done without her. I just hope she finds a guy one of these days. I don't want her giving up her life to look after me."

"I agree. Well, that's something you can help her with. I'm sure she'll recognize it when you're back to your normal self," I said optimistically.

We talked for a few minutes more about how the sale and distribution of assets would take place before we ended the call.

I took the elevator down to the lounge on the main floor and ordered a double scotch and soda. It took a second one to relax me enough to feel that I'd just about come to the end of the road in terms of our marriage. Now it was a matter of signing some documents and filing the divorce papers. In six months I would be a single man once more.

I was glad I'd called it a night after just the two drinks and gone to bed early. I don't think I really understood how stressed I was over the divorce and settlement issues.

I woke up at my usual time and went through my morning routine before taking the elevator to the lobby and the restaurant. I had my usual light breakfast before walking to the office on what was another drizzly, wet, grey morning in Vancouver. Sint Maarten had spoiled me.

The next two weeks seemed to crawl by as I spent my time with Dorothy going over the new upgrades that had been installed on the server while I was away, plus the equipment changes that were on her wish list. We took a couple of days to have suppliers demonstrate their new wares, especially plotters and modeling software. I had to come to a decision about what to recommend for both operations now but I was working blind as far as Toronto went.

Finally, on Sunday morning, March 14, I boarded an Air Canada flight to Toronto for my next "adventure." I suppose I was feeling pretty confident as I thought about the challenge before me. Hadn't everything gone according to plan in Sint Maarten? I had a good idea of what we wanted to do in Toronto and the only unknown was the quality of the people on hand.

I checked into the Rossmoor Suites and found they had reserved a two-bedroom unit for me that was really a compact, fully furnished apartment. It was more than I would need for my stay. On top of that the building facilities included a fitness centre, a billiards room, virtual golf and a theatre room. If I needed space for an out-of-office meeting, rooms were available for that as well. I was more than satisfied with the modern facility.

Following my usual habits I prepared to be in the Trent offices just after seven on Monday morning. When I arrived I found the office dark and the door locked. Note to self: obtain a key. I recalled seeing a coffee shop off the lobby of the building and headed down to see if I could ascertain when the office opened.

The middle-aged waitress asked for my order and I chose a latté.

"Do you know when the offices open at Trent Engineering?" I asked when she delivered my coffee.

"Trent? That's on the seventh floor?"

I nodded.

"Eight o'clock for the worker bees. The big boys usually don't show up until nine."

"Thanks," I said, thinking I had some adjusting to do. This was Toronto not Vancouver. Hours of work were later, both starting and finishing. Just the same, I didn't see any reason not to be the first person in the office if that's what helped me do my job well. I wouldn't force the staff to follow my example but I wondered how many might take my habits to be a good model for themselves. After all, it would allow them to leave earlier too. No reason the office couldn't have staggered work hours, I thought.

I nursed my latté until just before eight o'clock and headed for the elevators once more. The traffic had increased substantially and a number of people had come into the coffee shop to get a hot drink or a pastry to go before heading to their offices. I took the crowded elevator to the seventh floor and several people got off at the same time. I waited before following them into the Trent offices.

The receptionist was just fixing her headset in place as I stood before her.

"Good morning, I'm Dexter McLeod. I believe I'm expected," I said politely.

"Oh ... uhhhmmm ... I don't have any note here about that. Do you know who you are supposed to see?"

"Mr. John Flannery."

"Oh ... well ... Mr. Flannery isn't usually in until nine o'clock. Would you like to wait?"

"I guess I'd better," I smiled. "I'm supposed to be working here for the next few weeks." I handed her my card.

"Oh ... Mr. McLeod. You're from Vancouver. Why don't I call Mr. Flannery on his cell phone and find out where he is. I'm sure he's expecting you."

coaster2
coaster2
2,596 Followers