Different Path

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The Mayor looked back at the men behind him, then down at the ground. He muttered, "Well, you might not want to help but the town needs those men. Two of them are town guards and three of them are important businessmen hereabouts."

"Humm. I seems to me like you just want me to fix up your cronies. What punishment are those men going to receive for hurting those ladies? And what were you planning to pay me for trying to heal them?"

"What ladies? I hadn't heard any ladies were injured last night. I thought all the ladies were home safely in their beds. As for the pay, we give you a monthly fee. That should suffice."

"The ladies were my employees. As for the monthly fee you say you give me, I haven't received anything from you, or had you forgotten that already? I don't work for free as I am sure none of you would either. I'll tell you what. We'll have the trial and when the punishment is meted out, I will do what I can for the men subject to receiving adequate payment for my services. After they are well and their punishment is served, they can each work for me for two weeks as compensation for damages to my property and employees. Or, if they prefer, they can give me two weeks of their earnings instead of working for me. How does that sound?"

"That's preposterous! These are important men and they are too busy to drop everything to do your bidding."

Jon turned to go back inside. He said, "Well, I hope they get well soon then. I still have some compensation to collect from them for the injuries and damage they caused so I'll be in touch with them for that." Jon stopped and turned back to face the gathered men. He continued speaking, "I almost forgot. Tell me about the sick you wanted me to look at?"

The end result of the conversation was Jon agreed to treat three deathly ill children and two women. One woman had a serious vaginal infection and the other a badly infected cut that appeared almost gangrenous. His knowledge of drug formulae was truly a life saver in those cases. This raised his status greatly among the common people of the small town since his charges for the healing were reasonable and his work was very effective. They began coming to see him regularly for medical help.

Shortly after his discussion with the Mayor about treating the sick and injured, Jon went to the Bordello for his talk with the Madam. After routine pleasantries Jon and the Madam sat in the parlor with coffee. Jon took a sip of coffee and looked around at the threadbare room once again then said, "This place is disgraceful. I can't believe anyone would want to deal in human servitude as the asshole I killed did.

"I want you to know it ends today. You and the ladies no longer have to service any man that walks through that door. I don't know what he had over you but I have nothing on any of you and want nothing to do with this sordid business. You are all free to go as soon as you wish."

The Madam looked shocked first, then turned white. She began shaking as she forced out words. "Sire, surely you do not mean that? You would just turn us all out on the street? This is our home and our livelihood. What will we do now? For some of us, this is the only work we know. For others, it is a way to meet a husband or a way to keep food on the table for their family. Some of us do this because we like this work. We enjoy men and what they can do for us."

"Well, it's not right. No woman should be forced to sell her body like this."

"Sire, none of us are here by force. We have all chosen this work although we each have our own reasons for doing it. The only force involved was being forced to service Pasquale whenever he demanded without recompense. "Twas part of his arrangement with us, 25% of earnings plus pussy for a place to live, work, and his protection. Please, Sire, do not take our livelihood and our home away from us."

"You chose to do this? Why would good women choose to degrade themselves as you say you have? Why not do more respectable work or marry and have a family?"

"Sire, there is nothing unrespectable about our work. We all sell our bodies one way or another whether we be clerks, farmers, cart drivers or what we do. This is what we have chosen to do. I venture to say we get more pleasure from our chosen profession than do many who have other work. Unless one of our customers is violent we have an easy time of it as well."

"You chose this? And you all like this work? I have to hear this from the ladies."

The Madam jumped from her seat and almost ran to the door into the back of the house. "Girls," she said, "Come immediately, the Master wishes to converse with you."

Jon became embarrassed when the women all filed into the room in various stages of dress or undress. He invited them to be seated and then asked each one if they had chosen to work as prostitutes and why they did so. Each and every one not only said it was their choice, they all assured him they enjoyed their work and wanted to continue doing it.

After talking to the ladies for some time, Jon allowed them to convince him that not only was this their choice of occupation but that it was an accepted occupation of this world. Before he left, Jon promised them that the building would be upgraded and made more comfortable.

When Jon returned next door to his small house he called for Bea and Polly. He questioned them about the whores and the general feeling of the population about them. They confirmed it was not only an acceptable occupation but was one of the more respectable ones and better paying ones for women. They even informed him there were a few men who did the same work, some only serviced women who had needs and some serviced other men but there were none working in the profession in this town,.

Further surprising Jon was the fact Bea told him she had worked as a whore for Madam Honor prior to marrying her husband and shortly thereafter until they had saved enough to move to the farm. Polly planned to become a whore as soon as the Wizard Pasquale released her from his servitude. He routinely tired of his live in pussy every few months to a year or so and if they survived, he put them out.

After they had been in town almost three weeks Jon said to Bea, "I don't think we're ever going to go back to your farm Bea. It's all I can do to keep up with things around here. I suppose I will just stay here where it seems I'm needed. Do you want me to have someone take you back?"

"Oh no Master. Where you go and where you stay, so do I." Besides, you manage to keep Polly and me very busy now. I don't think that poor girl could keep up with you sexually or with the work by herself."

They settled into a hectic life, Jon studying and learning more about magic and the two women taking care of him. Finally, he decided to sell the small farm if he could find someone who wanted it. When he told Bea his decision she accepted it but asked if they could go back and get some things she wanted to keep.

Like their trip to town, they left very early inn the morning, taking Polly with them as well as a mule to pack items onto to bring them back. The trip to the farm was uneventful but tiring, especially for Polly who was still malnourished and weak from the misuse she received from Pasquale. They took two days to inventory and pack the items they wanted to take back to town then, once again, early in a morning each of them shouldered a heavy pack and they headed back to town. Polly was leading the fully loaded mule.

When they arrived back in town they stopped in the middle of the street in front of the Bordello. Their small house was nothing but a still smoking pile of charcoal and ashes. Jon looked around the town to see if he could see the Mayor so he could ask about the fire. He noticed as his gaze moved over people they averted theirs. Two of the town's most unsavory characters ducked down a dark alley when he looked at them and the two men who had been injured at the Bordello closed their businesses as he stood looking down the street; a street that was rapidly emptying of people.

Jon turned and walked up on the porch of the Bordello then inside the building. Honor met him in the parlor. There were two or three customers chatting with a couple of the ladies so she said, "I think I know why you're here Jon. Come on into my office and I'll tell you all I know."

"Just a moment Honor. It's been a long tiring day. Could I have my ladies come inside and rest in your staff dining room with a cool drink while we talk?"

"Oh, yes. By all means." She raised her voice and said, "Philomena, please go outside and have Bea and Polly come inside. They can use the dining room to rest. Be sure to give them something to eat and drink if they want it. Our Wizard and I have some business to discuss."

After he saw the very pregnant Philomena head for the door to get the ladies, he turned and followed Honor into her office. S clheosed the door and said, "Please have a seat Jon. Do you want a snack or something to drink also?

"Nothing to eat Honor but a drink would be nice."

After Honor returned with his drink, she began her story. "It seems the two merchants you refused to treat unless they paid for the care and for the damage done to the brothel and women they inured got to drinking the night you left. As the night wore on they became more and more vocal about making you suffer like they did.

"The merchants began buying drinks for Tory and Festus (the two unsavories Jon saw running away when he showed up). They left the pub late in the night, drunk as lords and headed for your house with a lantern. They set it on the porch and were trying to paint epithets on your building when they began fighting with each other about what to write and how to spell it. They broke a window and were trying to decide whether to run or to sneak inside and steal something. They began pushing and shoving and eventually overturned the lantern and the oil from it caught the old dry wood on fire. No one from the town tried to put out the fire but almost all the friends of the men involved stood watching the house burn and laughing."

Jon sat back and asked, "And how do you know that Honor? Did you see it or is it hearsay?"

"Both Jon, I heard they were drinking heavy and the noise they made at your place caused me to come out on the porch in time to see the window break and the beginning of the fire. A couple of the girls who weren't with a customer and I tried to put the fire out but the thugs got rough and we decided to come back inside and hide from them. I'm sorry."

Jon sighed and said, "It's not your fault. I'll have to decide what to do and find a place to live now. Thank you for the information."

"That's it? You'll have to decide what to do and find a place to live? Jon, Sire, I know it's not my place to advise you; I also know you are a wizard as well as my master and if I anger you I could be severely punished. Knowing all this, I am still compelled to advise you when necessary. Sire, you have to do more than that. You should already know what to do. You have to exact payment for the damage as you threatened to do for my girls and have yet to do. You also have to punish those responsible since the Mayor and town council will not. The town's five richest businessmen own and run this town and nothing will be done to them or theirs unless you do it.

"Sire, I think you are a good man but you must have came to us from a very civilized and gentle world. You keep talking about authorities and something called police to solve problems and punish criminals. There is no such thing here. You make your own justice and if you do not stand up for yourself and your people no one will. Sire, as we tell our young men, GROW A PAIR! If you do not you should just leave town now. No one will face you man to man but they will keep pushing in secret until you leave or draw them up short.

As for a place to live, you own this building and the services of all the ladies residing within it. We have some empty rooms so you and your other ladies should just move in here. I think we can even find a room downstairs for your wizarding office."

Jon sighed and walked around the room a moment. He stood looking out a window for a while before taking a seat in a comfortable but shabby chair. He said, "I know you're right about facing down the bullies. I'll decide how I want to do that and take care of it. And thank you for letting us move in here. I'll tell the girls."

Jon stayed in the waiting room (or parlor as they called it) after talking with Honor, Bea and Polly. It was empty this time of day and he had a quiet place to sit to contemplate the situation . His first inclination was to report the infraction and wait for the "authorities" to handle it but from what he had learned that would never happen. The authorities only dispensed "justice" to the poor and for the more well to do. Money and position was everything and while he was a quasi respected wizard, he wasn't one of the town's well to do so got respect and "justice" only if he demanded it or took it for himself. Of course, he was better off than the poor who never or rarely got true justice.

Jon's prior life left him hesitant to take justice for himself, to exact punishment from those who harmed him and his. Where he came from those honest people who broke a law were usually punished more severely than habitual criminals even if they were trying to protect themselves while the infraction occurred. From birth, he was told not to fight and to rely on the law and authorities to right wrongs. Perhaps that had been part of the problem in his marriage. He tended to talk and discuss, then give in or accept fait accompli or whatever the system came up with. Finally, with a sigh and a large amount of reluctance, Jon rose and walked outside. He headed for the Mayor's office—well, his store really—to see if, by any chance, he or the town would do anything about the injustice. All the short way there he was battling with himself, on the one hand saying what he contemplated was wrong and on the other, admitting to himself he needed to force himself to do the necessary thing. He knew if he didn't stand up for himself and his people things would only get worse.

The Mayor looked up with a smile that rapidly turned into a look of regret or maybe fear when Jon walked into his store. You could tell the new smile he plastered on his face was fake as was the joviality with which he greeted Jon, "Master Wizard. It is good to see you this fine day," he said. "We were all sorry to see your home and office catch fire while you were gone. Now, how may I help you today? Do you need to purchase supplies or clothing perhaps?"

"Well, Mr. Mayor, I stopped by to see if the constables were going to arrest the arsonists and the instigators of the arson; those same individuals, strangely enough, who injured my ladies the other day. From what I can find out just since I returned this afternoon the entire town knows how the fire started. I would think attempted breaking and entering, burglary, and arson would be grounds for incarceration yet those responsible have not been apprehended."

"Sire, I'm afraid it's not as simple as you make it sound. The fire seemed to begin by accident and we really do not know who caused the fire to start in any event. We will take any necessary action if information comes to our attention that indicates arrests are in order. I assure you none of the townspeople and especially the merchants, would have anything to do with the crimes to your people or property."

"Well, thanks for nothing. I suspected this was the way you were going to handle the infractions. You'll forgive me if I do some investigating on my own and, perhaps, seek compensation. I am sure I can come up with something to make things right and punish those responsible."

The Mayor's face paled even more, if possible, when Jon said that and turned to leave. He started to speak several times but nothing came out of his mouth. He was shaking in fear. He, and, he was sure, others in town had badly misjudged the Wizard based on his hesitation to immediately act when two of his whores were injured. Of course, those idiots who felt disrespected and decided to teach him a lesson didn't help matters at all.

The Mayor tore off his apron and rushed out of the store. He headed directly across the street to the store of his friend, one of the men who enticed those two ruffians to break into the Wizards home while he was gone. He ran onto the porch and threw the door open just in time to see Jon gesture and throw Paul back against the wall.

Jon walked over and stood over Paul where he was collapsed, laying on the floor. He looked down at him and said, "You aren't a very smart man are you Paul? First you injure my girls and refuse to compensate them or me for the damage to their bodies and my building, then you and your friends burn my home and office down.

"I have tried to do the right thing and let the constables and town authorities punish you but they are reluctant to do so. In fact, the Mayor just told me, basically, it was up to me to get you to do the right thing. Well, I'm here to do just that. Now, you already owe me damages and either two weeks work or two weeks profit from your business for the first instance. I expect you and your friends to pay to completely rebuild my house and resupply it with everything lost in the fire. Besides that, I expect 50% of the value as damages over and above the other costs. Are you going to make restitution now and do this the easy way or am I going to have to take measures?"

The man was looking up at Jon in abject terror. His face was so pale he looked like the finest linen table cloth. Through his gasps for breath, he said, "Master Wizard, I cannot. I do not have the coin to make such a large payment."

"Hummm. Well, perhaps we can come up with something. I tell you what, you and Tom were the leaders of the little gang that perpetrated both crimes. I will begin selling items you own until I have recovered your share of the damages. Your wife can work at the whore house in place of one of the girls until she is healed and able to resume her position. Tom's wife can take the place of the other. How about that?"

"No! You can't. My wife isn't a whore and we will have nothing if you sell our inventory and property."

"Humm. Yes, I suppose you're right on both counts and also wrong about one thing. I can and will do those things or, if you insist, I can just kill you instead and take everything you own as compensation. You know it really isn't my fault you will have trouble living after you compensate me. After all, had you not caused all this, you would not be in this trouble at all would you? I tell you what, since I'm a good guy, I'll give you two days to come up with another way to compensate us before I start. Now, I have to go see your friend Tom and make arrangements with him."

Jon ended up making the same arrangements for restitution with Tom that he did with Paul. He did agree, after some thought, that he would only sell items as expenses were incurred in the reconstruction and only then if they didn't have the money he needed at that time. He didn't know how to charge for the wizards items in the house, his stock in trade, as it were but Polly and, to a lesser extent Bea were a great help on the normal household items that had to be replaced. Polly even got a new wardrobe out of the deal! Polly, at least, could tell him some of the items he lost so he could replace them.

Jon found builders to clear off his homesite and do the construction and arrived at an agreement for the construction. When the financing of the rebuild and the punishment were known to the town there were two camps formed—those who thought the men got off too easily and those who thought Jon went overboard on his demands.