Divorce and Reconciliation

Story Info
A Dutch romance.
9.7k words
4.17
37.1k
50
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

My sincere thanks to Southern Crossfire for editing this figment of my imagination.

It improved considerably.

Thanks.

Also thanks for the directions from the moderators.

Chapter 1

Present

Thomas was savouring his solitude. He sat in his chair on the porch, overlooking the wet hills from Limburg. Rain was pouring down on the rolling landscape of shrubs, pastures, and the occasional typical homesteads of the region.

The pain from events leading to his divorce after 40 years of marriage was a dull roar in the back of his mind. Counseling helped some, but the emptiness of his life was getting at him.

In the nine months he'd been living here, he'd modernized the small, two bedroom cottage.

He'd installed a new kitchen, upgraded the old and tired bathroom, decorated, and painted, inside and outside.

Double glazing. New central heating.

The list was long and most of the work he'd done himself. He'd needed the work to keep his mind away from the gloom he felt.

He divided the big garden in two separate parts. One part was big enough for two pitches for stray campers, or when the local camping site was fully booked and someone needed a place for the night. They came with an electricity socket, a tap and a common bathroom with a shower. The other half was still a wilderness, yet to be cleared and planted.

He could only afford it at all because the family home in Amsterdam sold extremely well. This house came cheap because it was almost derelict, so he could afford it on his retirement money even after alimony. Luckily, his services as a consultant were well sought-after. He'd retired from his job as a fully licensed logistics expert for transportation of dangerous goods, whether by road, rail, water, or air transport, so he still took consulting jobs on occasion. The money from that work bought him the extras which made life more comfortable.

How this all came to be started eleven years ago and culminated in a divorce and, for Thomas de Vries, a very nasty break with his family.

Chapter 2

A year before

On a warm and humid day, Thomas walked into his garden after a 15-mile morning walk in the suburbs and countryside at the fringes of Amsterdam (The Netherlands). Thomas was a wiry man, 6'-3" tall, and weighed about 180 pounds. He kept himself fit with long distance walking, usually Kennedy Walks, and a daily workout, but on this day, after starting very early, he cut this walk short. He went around to the back of their house because his shoes were muddy and he was sweaty.

In the garden while untying his shoes, he heard his wife, Nora, on the phone.

Nora was 5'-7" in height, tipping the scales at 154 pounds. She was a nice looking woman, a year younger than Thomas. During 40 years together, they had three children, Louisa, Matthew, and Roger, and a bunch of grandchildren.

Having been married so long, he normally ignored Nora's chatter when she talked to friends or her sister, but his curiosity was triggered by the tone of the conversation. He started to listen.

Nora giggled. "Of course not. He is completely unaware."

"Oh yes, I was very well fucked, and the man had a magic tongue as well. You really know how to choose them!"

"When are you planning your next little holiday from your wedding vows?"

"Oh, yeah! Count me in!"

"OK, bye."

Thomas walked unsteady to the shed before pulling out a chair and sitting down heavily.

"What did I hear just now? Again? Was everything she told me, everything for the last ten years, a lie?"

His thoughts went back to those awful weeks ten years before.

Chapter 3

Eleven years ago.

Thomas was sent abroad for an audit and assessment of a transport company. This was a rare occasion, because Thomas hated sleeping in hotels, but it went with the job. He planned two weeks for the audit, assessment, and reporting his findings and recommendations. He called Nora every night, but in the second week, she sounded distracted and strained. Her answers were curt and there was always a buzz in the background.

At the end of the second week, he received a phone call from the hospital nearby their home.

Nora was in the Emergency Room and she needed surgery. They needed his consent. He gave it and immediately wrapped up his business and went home.

When he arrived in the hospital, his wife was in bed and her sister Angela sat next to her looking very anxious.

"What happened? Is she alright? When can I see the doctor?" Thomas asked in one breath.

Angela answered, "She had a hemorrhage, but the doctors were able to stop it in time. I don't know much more but the doctor will be here soon."

Angela left immediately, leaving Thomas alone with his wife. He thought it was strange behavior on his sister-in-law's part, but at the moment, Thomas didn't dwell on it.

Nora whispered, "I'm so sorry. I couldn't help it."

"Shhh. Don't say anything. Just get better. I'm here now and I won't leave you," Thomas replied.

The painkillers made Nora go back to sleep and Thomas went in search of the doctor.

Seated in the doctor's office with a cup of coffee, the doctor explained. "Your wife was found in a hotel room by her sister; she was bleeding profusely from her vagina. In the ER, it was obvious that her vagina was lacerated extensively. It took major surgery, but in the end, we succeeded in saving her life. It was at a cost, though, and that will affect you too."

"What do you mean?"

"I have to be blunt. I can't have you misunderstanding what I am going to tell you. The result of these operations is that having sex will be next to impossible. With this, I mean penetration.

Her sensitivity in the whole area will be reduced because of the scarring and the implants we had to put in there to prevent a prolapse in the future.

"You have to be aware that this will have negative effect on her sex drive and it will impact your sex life. And there is still menopause to keep in mind.

"I can't bring it any differently. It is definitely not good news. I'm sorry."

Thomas stared at the desk. "Can you tell me what caused this?"

The doctor answered. "I can't go into details because I have to obey the confidentiality rules. In general this happens when a large object is violently inserted in the vagina. The other thing is that we found fresh semen. That was handed over to the police due to the nature of the injuries.

"I have to check on my patient now. Take your time to digest all this information. I will be back in half an hour. Oh, and I advise you not to look at my computer."

With that cryptic remark, the doctor left his office.

When the door closed, Thomas quickly walked over to the other side, inserted his USB stick in the computer, and copied all the files on Nora, including the DNA profile of the semen. When the doctor returned he was sitting in his chair thinking furiously.

He asked, "Doctor. I have one last question. How long does she have to stay here?"

"At least another week and she will need physiotherapy. Best is to start that here too.

That will take an extra week."

With these words from the doctor, they parted.

After a week of soul-searching, Thomas decided that he would forgive Nora. As far as he knew, it was the first time her mind went AWOL and she was punished harshly for it. But his sister-in-law, Nora's partner in this mess, covered for her. It was only because of the doctor's indiscretion that he knew the real reason for the injuries.

He thought it best to let Nora come clean about the sordid affair. A confrontation with Angela would hurt Nora but he decided that from then on he would keep his distance from Nora's sister. Cold formality would replace the warm affectionate manner he used to show her.

Chapter 4

Back to a year ago.

After a while, Thomas went inside.

Nora was busy in the kitchen and didn't notice Thomas entering the house so he went upstairs and took a shower. He went down, wearing shorts and a t-shirt, and sat in his recliner.

Nora came into the room and looked surprised. "You're home already. Why didn't you tell me?"

Nora looked at Thomas. She noticed the set eyes and his stiff upper body so she asked, "Honey, is there something bothering you? You look like you've had bad news?"

Thomas looked at his wife. "You tell me."

Nora was flabbergasted. "What do you mean? You tell me? What should I tell you?

With venom in his voice, Thomas asked, "Tell me, dear wife, when was that last time that you were very well fucked and who has a magic tongue? It wasn't me, because for the last ten years, I haven't even been allowed to go near those parts of your body! So I gather that I'm good enough to provide for the basics of a good marriage but can't have the benefits."

A moment before Thomas opened up, Nora had wanted to give him a hug because he obviously needed some kind of support. Now she stepped back and started to breathe hard.

"You overheard the phone call with Angela?" she whispered.

"Most of it," he replied curtly.

"Can, can I explain? I can explain. Please, Thomas, let me explain," she begged. "It all seems so wrong, but it's not what you think it is! Please Thomas?"

"Nora, it better be a hell of an explanation. I'm not going through all that anguish and pain again. And yes I know all about your tryst, and I'm still suffering the consequences."

Suddenly Nora's legs gave out. She sat down heavily, feeling as if she was going to faint.

She didn't understand; Thomas had always treated her like a queen. He never asked, nor said, anything about that terrible occurrence ten years ago.

The only thing that had changed was his demeanor towards Angela, switching from loving and flirty to very cold and formal. He'd stopped calling her "his sister," had never embraced or kissed her anymore after Nora's surgery. Now she understood why.

She went in full panic mode, having trouble thinking properly. She stammered, forcing out the words.

"It's a prank. Angela wanted to pull it on her husband! I wrote it out and was dictating it to her! That's what you heard, Thomas. Call Angela, please call her! She'll tell you! Ten years ago was the first and last time. You know I'm unable to have sex anymore, I'm so sorry for that." Quietly, she added, "You never said you knew."

Rick got mad and almost shouted, "If that's so, show me the note!"

Karin swallowed and replied in a stricken voice, "I tore it up and threw it in the garbage. The bin has just been emptied by the truck. I didn't want you to find it."

"And you never thought about telling me? Nor about your escapade with Angela," Rick spat. "I come home a little early and what do I hear? You, on the phone with your sister, and it looks like you two are planning to cuckold me again! Dammit!

"It took me over a year to regain some of my self-respect. And now it starts all over again? I forgave you 10 years ago because the consequences from your infidelity were punishment enough and I loved you so much."

He paused, remembering it all, before adding, "But I never thought that the price for me would be so high, otherwise I would have thought twice. No physical affection at all. No intimacy. You won't touch me at all. What have I done to deserve that?

"Now, you just ripped my heart out all over again. Prank or no prank, I'm seriously thinking about a divorce now. That phone call ripped the wound open all over again."

Thomas stormed from the room, slammed the door behind him and stood in the garden once more. The pain, the anger and the frustration, everything he kept bottled up came out at once.

He sat down and started to sob.

Nora was in a daze. "What happened? This is a bad dream. I need to wake up."

Trying to collect herself, she walked to the garden and saw Thomas crumpled in the chair. She rushed over and embraced him, crying softly.

"Oh sweetheart. I'm so ashamed and so sorry. I've been so stupid. I should have told you everything, but instead, I listened to the stupidest advice. And now I hurt you again. I should never have gone along with Angela's ideas. I hope you can forgive me. Again. Please? Is there anything I can do to alleviate your anguish? Just tell me, please?"

Thomas looked up, his eyes red, his sad face streaked with tears. "I don't know. I have to think this over. This reaction is far from healthy. Maybe...maybe it's best if we separate for a while.

I'll rent a holiday home for a few days. Something near Maastricht."

Nora just nodded. Anything to keep him with her. Perhaps a few days to let him calm himself...

They went inside and Thomas started to browse for a holiday home. He quickly found a small one in his favorite region, booking it for a week with an option for another week.

Then, he asked if Nora needed the car. If so, he was going to rent one in Maastricht.

Lastly he started to pack.

Chapter 5

The next day, he walked with his suitcase to the metro station. Twenty minutes later he was waiting for the train. He arrived in Maastricht at noon.

Thomas collected his rental and drove to Gulpen to shop for groceries and supplies. He had another hour to spend before he could collect his key, so he decided to have lunch at the terrace next to the local brewery and the stream called The Gulp.

Later that afternoon, he moved into the little house. He was just enjoying the view and thinking what to do the next day when his phone rang. He looked at it and thought, "Angela. What the heck? What does she want?"

He accepted the call, just to get it over with. "Sister-in-law, I have mixed feelings about this call. I'm not in the mood for a social call, or any call at all to be honest. Especially one from you.

So what do you want? "

Angela was silent for a moment and then she lit into Thomas.

"It's a prank you idiot. You're overreacting way too much. You get your ass back to Amsterdam and make up immediately. I always thought you were a levelheaded adult but now you act as a teenager. Man up, you moron."

Thomas interrupted. "Angela. Stop. If you start to rant again, I'll hang up. I forgave Nora already once. Ten years ago. Overhearing your so-called prank tore open those, ten year old, wounds within me. You know all about that. You talked Nora into having a vacation from her wedding vows. Hooked her up with some animal. And see what good it did to her, and to me?"

He continued, without letting her interrupt. "And yes, I know. Even though she went with the man freely. For a good fuck. Did she deserve this? To be torn to shreds by a gorilla with a ten inch dick. What kind of friends do you entertain?"

Her gasp confirmed she knew. "O yeah I found out who it was. He had a criminal record for abusing women and you introduced him to your sister. Who's the idiot in this conversation?

I tell you: it's definitely not me!

"Fate has it that he had an accident and never can have his 10 inch dick up again. If I can't make love to my wife, why should he be able to have sex, huh? And yeah, I found out about your escapade the same day I got to the hospital, about an hour after you ran out without telling me what happened. Ever wondered why I hated you so much after Nora's so-called accident? Well, you're to blame as much as Nora by my reckoning. Only I loved Nora and hate you even more now."

The silence at the other side of the phone was almost palpable. Then she spoke.

"I wondered what happened. I heard he was in hospital soon after. With a broken penis? How does one get a broken dick? Shit. She never told you, did she?"

"No. Neither did you. You just ran out of the hospital after you told me she was bleeding. You are a coward. You didn't tell me you found her in your Italic hotel room where you both Italic stayed! You didn't check on Nora when she didn't return. So don't tell me to man up and live with it. Been there, done that, and what do I get? A rerun. You lied to me by omission ten years ago, so why should I believe you now?

"I hope that you are happy with the result."

Thomas ended the call.

Chapter 6

Thomas's first week in Noorbeek, a small village about 15 miles from Maastricht, went by in a daze.

He ate, drank, and walked but hardly slept. His children called to ask if he was alright and with news from Nora. At the end of the week he emailed Nora that he needed another week.

The second week Thomas did some serious soul searching.

Why was he hurt so much by a prank? And why did he get so angry?

Finally it came to him. He never reconciled with the cheating. They never ever talked it over.

It was his fault as much as Nora's, but as deep as he tried to bury it all, it kept festering. The call was the proverbial straw.

He cared for Nora very much, but the love was gone. It had evaporated over the last decade. And now the trust was damaged, possibly beyond repair. Thomas couldn't bring himself to try and rebuild it again. He felt spent and emotionally empty. He was going to divorce Nora and take it from there.

Thomas packed, checked out of the holiday park and went to his house.

That afternoon Nora saw Thomas walking in. She was apprehensive for she'd known her husband for over forty years and immediately noticed his posture; it didn't bode well.

She started. "You're back and you've come to a decision. I can see that I'm not going to like it, but please, let there be no doubt in your mind, I love you with everything I have. I'll accept your decision, though, whatever it may be, but I'm afraid that it will be a divorce."

Thomas looked startled. "Nora, you know me too well. Yes. I can't go on like this anymore.

I'm quite certain that if I stay any longer, life for both of us will be hell. We don't deserve that. Maybe after the divorce...maybe then we can salvage some of our relationship. I have anger issues, mood swings, and I'm afraid that if we stay together we'll divorce anyway. And then it all will be much worse.

"Can we do this civilly, Nora? I don't want our time together to end in some kind of trench warfare. Just split everything evenly. I'll leave. You can buy me out if you want. Half my retirement is yours of course. We need a lawyer for the legal side, but if you don't fight this, we can use his services together and we'll split the costs."

Nora just nodded. "I should have come clean right after you came looking for me in the hospital.

The only reason I can give for my stupidity is that I was so afraid of losing you. And now I'm losing you just because of that. My only hope is that we can stay friends."

"We'll try," replied Thomas. "I don't hate you. But I need time to find a new equilibrium. I don't know what happened when I heard that conversation on the phone. But something snapped inside and now I feel empty. I don't intend to tell the children why I left our marriage. I don't see that's necessary. But I don't know what to tell them otherwise."

That evening, with the future heavy on their hearts, they agreed on how to deal with the divorce. They talked long with each other to make the split as easy as possible. Thomas would use the guestroom until he found a place to live.

Nora took it upon herself to inform the children when the time came.

Chapter 7

Two days later, Thomas found himself sitting in a restaurant in front of his children. After dessert with a cup of coffee there was an uncomfortable silence.

"Dad," Louisa started, "why are you divorcing mum?"

Thomas looked at her and to her brothers. "Don't you think that's a private matter between your mum and myself?"

Louisa, obviously the spokesperson, snorted. "No! You are breaking up the family. We think we have a right to know. Mum won't tell us. Aunt Angie told us it's because of a joke. Now you tell us; we can't believe you divorce over a joke!"